Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

It costs too much money to advance in the game

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 08, 2009
So I've spent a lot of money on the game, I love the game, it's fun to play.
But it's too many crowns to advance - with how expensive it is to unlock new areas. Literally every single area costs an arm and a leg to open up. Then when you're out... Well, you are stuck and can't do anything!

I don't mind the areas costing crowns, but maybe if you lowered the amount of areas that costed, or at LEAST lowered the crowns cost to only 1000 each area no matter where that area happens to be.

That would be so much more reasonable.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
If you buy a yearly membership, the game is about 5 bucks a month, that really does not seem too expensive to me

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
gameofthronestarga... on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
So I've spent a lot of money on the game, I love the game, it's fun to play.
But it's too many crowns to advance - with how expensive it is to unlock new areas. Literally every single area costs an arm and a leg to open up. Then when you're out... Well, you are stuck and can't do anything!

I don't mind the areas costing crowns, but maybe if you lowered the amount of areas that costed, or at LEAST lowered the crowns cost to only 1000 each area no matter where that area happens to be.

That would be so much more reasonable.
I've bought the zones, I have them all. ( Well, except most of Aquila ) Yes, it's expensive and yes, you'll run into times when you have no crowns to advance - but here's the bonus, those zones are yours to keep as long as the game lasts. That's why those zones are expensive: ownership vs. renting is always more expensive.
Meanwhile, members who run out of their subscription are literally stuck in Wizard City.
If you run out of crowns, why not make another wizard and keep playing until you can get more crowns?

Survivor
Sep 07, 2017
Jasmine3429 on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
If you buy a yearly membership, the game is about 5 bucks a month, that really does not seem too expensive to me
Exactly; membership is the way to go cost wise.

Explorer
Jun 13, 2010
I agree 100% with this. back in 2010/2011 the game was easier to play. Now, with crafting, gear, pvp, pets, etc. it's impossible to do so without spending crowns on gears and packs and other things.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
It is a lot of money, I agree. I hope people who don't find it an issue will realize it is an issue for others. Sometimes people are a little insensitive to subjects like these.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Yes it does cost a good sum of crowns but in higher worlds, most areas it's buy one get one or get three. So you are actually paying 1000 crowns or less per an area. I think that is very reasonable.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
The only complaint I have are areas such as "Throne Room of Fire" in Krokotopia that costs 915 crowns just for 2 battles with no good drops is over priced and not linked to buy one get one. Why do others areas have multiple battles and side quests for the same price of 915 compare to other areas that has only 2 maybe three battles. That's not fair. No matter how you look at it; It's not a fair price. I feel "Throne room of Fire" should be a get one when you buy "Palace of Fire"

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Have been waiting for a topic I could post this in.

Please KI, consider making it easy to buy the zones during a membership.

Maybe I am missing something, but, it seems the only way to buy zones is to try to go to a place, while you have no membership.

I'd like to slowly do both -- buy zones but also have a membership.

That way, if there is ever a 'glitch' I can still play my beloved game, even if I have to keep dumping out my backpack, because without a membership it doesn't hold a whole lot!

Thanks.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, it seems that KI' Solution to this is to offer more sales on either Crowns or Memberships (like the one that's currently going on right now). In other words, they're trying to treat the disease (that is, game being expensive) rather than cure it. Sounds a lot like everyday life, right?

But another approach to this is, as mentioned above, try the yearly membership, and purchase areas you'll always seem to have your wizard in when membership ends like Crab Alley for example for The Waterworks Dungeon or Darkmoor. In this way, you can spend the extra free time farming without any worries or needs.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
You are the one who decided to pay to unlock the area with crowns. KI gives choices on how to pay for the game. A monthly membership is around $5 a month. That is more than affordable for most of the people playing. If you don't like the high cost to unlock the areas with crowns, then buy a membership. You have choices.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Like others have said areas cost allot of crowns to buy because once you get them your account owns them forever. If you can't afford to buy more crowns every time then you can always try doing trivia, videos and daily assignments for free crowns as well as enter fansite contests for the chance at free crowns. Can areas get pricey at times? Yes. Are there ways to save up enough to get them with crowns without having to buy more directly? Yes.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
Thank you! It is TOO much money to advance in the game. Ten dollar USD to for a month membership?! It's even more in other countries, like Canada because of conversion rates.

Not to mention, this game is extremely pay-to-win because of packs that contain all the best gear and spells.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Are some of you telling us we should just accept smaller zones that has only 2 or 3 battles for the same price of the other ones and is not in the line of buy one get one because you have them for life? That is besides the point. Example: If you go to a toy store and see 2 trucks of the same modal, same brand name but one is much bigger than the other with more seats/w figurines and neat stuff inside. Are you saying it's ok to buy the smaller truck with less stuff in it for the same price because you have it for life? Maybe you would but when it comes to buying zones in wizard 101, many people want more (near equal) for the price they're paying like the zones that has multiple quest and side quest along with drops.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Yea. buying a membership is the way to go if you want all it's benefits but buying one each month, 3, 6 months or a year does add up to a great sum. The Price isn't always 5 dollars a month. Usually it's costs 10. If we add that up to buying packs, gear, pets and mounts with crowns, That's a lot of money many people may not have and earning free crown can get very boring day after day after day after weeks and that takes away a lot of game time. So some people choose to to buy zone in the game to keep their cost down.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Wizard101 runs several sales a year offering memberships for $59.95. If you pay more than that, it's your own fault. They allow you to "lock" in during that sale price, at any time. It costs you nothing to "lock" that price in when they offer it. If you have a current membership that costs more then wait until the sale starts, then upgrade your membership then. The new lower membership cost will start once your current membership runs out and it will be locked in for the $59.95. It just starts once your current membership runs out. They also run many sales on crowns allowing you to get 60,000 for $60.00. The cost to play this game is more reasonable than some other games out there. Taking advantage of the sales when they are offered is the way to go.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
The one month membership would be the way to go. I was a previous Crowns Player myself and it was a huge mistake. As some of the people above have already stated, the game holds Membership sales every now and then, so it's not difficult to miss them. As for the price when converted into one's currency, unfortunately we can't really do much about it. For example, 5 US dollars would equal to nearly 7 in Australian dollars. I just have to suck it up at the end of the day . We do have to keep in mind that game companies and their workers, especially with KingsIsle being a small company, needs the money for their own living like all of us do, as well as to constantly improve, develop and update their games for their players they would need the money in order to do so.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2011
Member ship pros: Cost less, Gardening/Pets, ALL zones, Free PVP short term less money
Member ship cons: Short term with crowns you don't need to keep buying it, long term more money
Crowns pros: permament, buy packs with extras, long term less money
Crowns cons: No Pet/Gardening bonus, no free PVP, Only 1 zone, short term more money
Here are the pros/cons crowns are for less money in future more in present and member is for less present more future.
happy spending