Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Recent DDoS attacks

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 18, 2011
So since the recent attacks its near impossible for a lot of people to log on. But i have a salvation.

GRUB GUARDIAN WORKS!!! So you can still play that if you want to get some prizes or level up your pets.

I know its not the best and no where near as good as wizard or pirate but its something.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
All the mobile servers remain unaffected, so if you haven't tried any of KI's other games, now is a good time.

Grub Guardian
Rise and Destroy
AlphaCats
Everclicker (which currently has a promotion for Free Crowns if you score the final hit in a Time Gate)

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Sep 2, 2017 wrote:
So since the recent attacks its near impossible for a lot of people to log on. But i have a salvation.

GRUB GUARDIAN WORKS!!! So you can still play that if you want to get some prizes or level up your pets.

I know its not the best and no where near as good as wizard or pirate but its something.
Grub Guardian working is a plus to whats going down with the Wiz servers! I hope they fix this issue so we can all enjoy the 9th birthday celebrations!

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
I have to ask: has Wizard101 contacted any legal authorities?

Restoring service would be wonderful, being compensated would be awesome, but seeing the people behind this attack learn that their actions have consequences would probably be the greatest birthday gift of all.

Too many people in this world get away with doing horrible things.

Also, as of 1:20 PM in the Arizona timezone, I'm online.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Yeah, it's on and off. Like the DDoS is stopping and starting again.

It might work for a bit again tomorrow, and then stop again at some point.

I always Tweet to @Wizard101 when I get booted off. Like "Hey, it's happening again."

Survivor
Aug 08, 2014
Any update on when we will be at 100%? I've done so many time gates on ever clicker my fingers hurt. On the positive side I get to spend more time with my family .

Explorer
Jun 17, 2011
Necromancer Chris on Sep 2, 2017 wrote:
I have to ask: has Wizard101 contacted any legal authorities?

Restoring service would be wonderful, being compensated would be awesome, but seeing the people behind this attack learn that their actions have consequences would probably be the greatest birthday gift of all.

Too many people in this world get away with doing horrible things.

Also, as of 1:20 PM in the Arizona timezone, I'm online.
I would imagine they have been in contact with authorities. I couldn't see why not.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2011
Is Wizard still being ddosed? I thought that it was fixed but my games now hitting me with the same message it had two days back. I hope this gets fixed soon and i know Kingsisle is already on it. Anyone else not able to connect to the game

I hope not to lose my wizard during this . That would suck

Survivor
Jul 04, 2017
I have been able to log on but i haven't gotten to the character screen for the past few days. Also when i have gotten to the character screen it would say connecting to server and then won't work.
I know KI is working really hard, so everyone lets cheer them on please.
GO KI!

Hannah Roseheart

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Will they continue the events for people living over seas as they said it wont work with people over seas and with slow internet. I live in the UK and stil cant get on but i know a lot of people in America can.

So this is a question to KI will you start the full time from when we can all log on?
If not i think its unfair for people who dont live in the US.

Survivor
Oct 06, 2011
Yeah this whole thing has been a mess why is it that some people think they have to mess things up for
others just because they can't have their way. Think I will try grub guardian did have some pets I was thinking
on training guess this would be a good time lol. Wish KI the best of luck with this and hope they get the
authorities involved for sure.
Alexander Stormweaver
Level 120 storm

Survivor
Jul 23, 2017
So does that mean that since I can't access the game for the past 4 to 5 days, that they are going to credit my account with more playing time ??

Survivor
Nov 17, 2016
The extended downtime is understandable, everybody and their brother gets denial of service attacks these days. However, if the site is still down by the time my auto pay comes out, It could get upsetting...just say'n

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I'm more worried about compromised passwords and/or credit card information.

Can we get some official word that the authorities have been contacted? And that our information has thus far been safeguarded?

Have these DDOS attacks breached our accounts' integrity?

Thanks.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Thank you for your support & patience. This type of attack (DDOS) can intermittently prevent customers from accessing our services; however, it does not expose customer data. There is no indication any of our databases have been compromised. Protecting your data and privacy is of paramount importance to us and we will continue to do so. Please continue to help us by keeping all your private account information (i.e. passwords) to yourself.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Is everything OK now?

Sorry all this happened. I hope for stronger security going forward.
Although a DDOS is not the same as hacking the database, I too was concerned it wouldn't stop at just the DDOS.

Are things safe now?
Thanks.
PS please extend the birthday stuff another week. Most of us did not get to participate in it at all. The commons is still empty.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2016
In reality a DDOS can be avoided, in fact a secondary server could be set up in order to lead the DDOS to the system and overflow that server which allows the administration time to gather information, if that doesn't work a dynamic I.P. would be highly recommended, especially since the main server is being hit, another idea is an update on system security. Seeing how technology is a never stream of evolution all in it's own it's possible that this is a wake up call for kingsisle that they need to increase their security drastically. I'd recommend hiring a special group of tech savvy people who are seriously dedicated to fighting this type of issue. Those are just my thoughts seeing how i've been hacked back then and had to start over after all these years. To any Admin that reads this, just know it's best to research things about your enemies before they can strike; find a way to see where the technology is so that your up to date and so that you're less prone to an attack. For now while you guys fight with what you have now, I'd also recommend you take notes on the attackers primary source to attack, usually it holds something of value to them and to us players. Man I gotta stop thinking about all these possibilities.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
Have you got white hats working hard to hit back at the hackers?

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
As of late, it looks as though the attacks on the game are ongoing. My virus and ad blocker says attacks are in the thousands in just one month. And it wanted to know If I wanted to continue loading the game. As it seems to become more serious, I wonder. I know KingsIsle is doing their best keeping everyone safe. I just wish I knew for sure. Keep fighting KI we will have a long 9th b'day. Like you have said many have been blocked out on many days.