Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

is there really evil in the spiral?

AuthorMessage
Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i mean is there? i'm not big on my lore knowledge like i should be.... but

Malistare, lost his wife Silvia Drake, to death.... and all he wanted was to bring her back... and tried several ways to do so, and each time, you stop him from trying to gain peace and rest

Morganthe, was just a young girl who stumbled upon shadow magic, and got expelled from wizard city, got her wand, deck, everything taken away from her, and she tried to get a replacement, like the sword of kings... she felt wrongfully done, and wanted revenge.

Old Cob, been held dormant forever...be held in solitude for who knows how long, was finally free, and wanted to get revenge on who put him there.....

even from day one..... you the wizard are told to kill lost souls.... people who are trapped in purgatory... because they was making a muck in unicorn way..... they was trying to find rest... and you smite them...

there's several occasion where if you think about it..... who's really evil here?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
camahawk on May 16, 2017 wrote:

Malistare, lost his wife Silvia Drake, to death.... and all he wanted was to bring her back... and tried several ways to do so, and each time, you stop him from trying to gain peace and rest

Morganthe, was just a young girl who stumbled upon shadow magic, and got expelled from wizard city, got her wand, deck, everything taken away from her, and she tried to get a replacement, like the sword of kings... she felt wrongfully done, and wanted revenge.

Old Cob, been held dormant forever...be held in solitude for who knows how long, was finally free, and wanted to get revenge on who put him there.....

even from day one..... you the wizard are told to kill lost souls.... people who are trapped in purgatory... because they was making a muck in unicorn way..... they was trying to find rest... and you smite them...

there's several occasion where if you think about it..... who's really evil here?
Let me address your confusion as to evil
1. Yes, Malistaire is a sympathetic personality, but the way he tries to go about dealing with his loss is against nature.
Dying is a part of life and learning to let go of someone you love is a part of life.
That he tried to go against the order of nature, using an evil book to bring his love back ( and look what he did to her in the process! He made her a monstrous wraith! )
He also intended to wake the Dragon Titan which would have unleashed wide spread destruction on the Spiral.
I was very glad to see that he was united with Sylvia at the end of Darkmoor. ( Plz, KI, let him rest. Don't bring him back! )
2. Morganthe from the beginning was a power-hungry, selfish soul, who didn't give a flip about other people but as how they served her.
3. We were duped into releasing Old Cob ( Grandfather Spider ) and now you see what a mess he's making of the Spiral from desiring revenge.
Don't you care about Bartleby, his suffering is a direct cause of Spider & his children, and he had nothing to do with Spider's imprisonment.
4. We were giving those Lost Souls peace that they might go to their final reward.
Evil is the active choice to go against what is good by following your selfish needs.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2015
anecorbie on May 16, 2017 wrote:
Let me address your confusion as to evil
1. Yes, Malistaire is a sympathetic personality, but the way he tries to go about dealing with his loss is against nature.
Dying is a part of life and learning to let go of someone you love is a part of life.
That he tried to go against the order of nature, using an evil book to bring his love back ( and look what he did to her in the process! He made her a monstrous wraith! )
He also intended to wake the Dragon Titan which would have unleashed wide spread destruction on the Spiral.
I was very glad to see that he was united with Sylvia at the end of Darkmoor. ( Plz, KI, let him rest. Don't bring him back! )
2. Morganthe from the beginning was a power-hungry, selfish soul, who didn't give a flip about other people but as how they served her.
3. We were duped into releasing Old Cob ( Grandfather Spider ) and now you see what a mess he's making of the Spiral from desiring revenge.
Don't you care about Bartleby, his suffering is a direct cause of Spider & his children, and he had nothing to do with Spider's imprisonment.
4. We were giving those Lost Souls peace that they might go to their final reward.
Evil is the active choice to go against what is good by following your selfish needs.
Well, you're probably right about the old cob, lost souls and Morganthe, but I do not think that Malistaire is evil. You're right that death is a part of nature and you have to let go of the people you love but that's only in real life. I'm pretty sure that if magic existed anyone who loves their wife, husband would do the same thing Malistaire tried to do. That does not mean that I think we, the wizards are doing the evil.

This is just my opinion, it may not be right but it's what I think and I also respect and understand your point of view of what happened.

Kane, Level 77 Transcendent Necromancer

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
General Kai on May 22, 2017 wrote:
Well, you're probably right about the old cob, lost souls and Morganthe, but I do not think that Malistaire is evil. You're right that death is a part of nature and you have to let go of the people you love but that's only in real life. I'm pretty sure that if magic existed anyone who loves their wife, husband would do the same thing Malistaire tried to do. That does not mean that I think we, the wizards are doing the evil.

This is just my opinion, it may not be right but it's what I think and I also respect and understand your point of view of what happened.

Kane, Level 77 Transcendent Necromancer
wanna point out.... you're a death wizard...... you're entire life is devoted to raising the dead..... what makes him different?

Survivor
Apr 05, 2015
camahawk on May 23, 2017 wrote:
wanna point out.... you're a death wizard...... you're entire life is devoted to raising the dead..... what makes him different?
If you were paying attention to what I was saying, I agreed with you and I said that Malistaire wasn't evil.

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
General Kai on May 23, 2017 wrote:
If you were paying attention to what I was saying, I agreed with you and I said that Malistaire wasn't evil.
He has a point.

Alejandro

Explorer
Oct 12, 2010

Hate to break to you, but all of these are variations of evil.

Bringing back the dead if unethical, and therefore isn't exactly a good thing.

Morganthe stumbled upon Shadow Magic, yes. But so did we. We, however, saw how to control it, while Morganthe didn't seem to care if it was out of control and happened to be the root of chaos, as long as she got more power.

Old Cob's motives were based on revenge. Vengeance is sinful, and due to the fact that all evil is derived from sinful actions, it was wrongfully committed.

The lost souls are controlled by some evil force, known commonly as loneliness. Loneliness leads to depression, and depression is the root of all evil, along with anger, greed, and many other things.

However, your last statement, implying the wizard we become are evil is correct. When we duel willing or unwilling creatures, we don't seem to care what happens to them.

Explorer
May 03, 2016

Plz do not go starting conspiracy or theories without knowing folklore or plot or history with the characyers.

Juan IceShard lvl 120

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Celescale on Jun 9, 2017 wrote:
Plz do not go starting conspiracy or theories without knowing folklore or plot or history with the characyers.

Juan IceShard lvl 120
i have a lvl 120.. been here since dragonspyre didnt exist,.... i know myy lore, and story... just not as high depth know it.... 1080HP..... not 4K

Explorer
May 03, 2016
camahawk on Jun 10, 2017 wrote:
i have a lvl 120.. been here since dragonspyre didnt exist,.... i know myy lore, and story... just not as high depth know it.... 1080HP..... not 4K
In any case, it depends on what your morales are on good and evil and how you the player perceive the characters actions.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
I agree with Anecorbie. Yes, Malistaire began his downward descent out of love but Malistaire's pain at the loss of his wife does not excuse the destruction he wrought on the lives of others in trying to raise her. No person, and this applies to more than just a story, can be said to be truly evil but their actions sure can. The act of raising the Dragon Titan which would cause immense collateral damage is an evil act.

Morganthe is obvious. Just look at the pain and misery she enacted on the poor bees and Arachna. That's evil. She was selfish and manipulative and used the lives of all around her for her own gain. She is not entirely to blame for how she ended up, Merle Ambrose should have handled her situation better, but no one forced her to mutate bees to become her evil minions and no one forced her to destroy Alcazar in a fit of petty rage.

Old Cob. He is seeking revenge. Since when is revenge right? Also consider that his revenge means the destruction of all life within the Spiral. All those innocent lives who had nothing to do with his imprisonment would be lost. Evil act.

Us wizards are trying to stop the evil actions from occurring. Notice how often our enemies get away. That's because we aren't singlemindedly pursuing the destruction of an individual. We are trying to prevent the evil acts that they perpetrate. Unlike Mellori who is willing to destroy innocent individuals to stop Old Cob, we aren't so focused on defeating the individual that we lose sight of the reason we are fighting: to defend the lives of those in danger of the present evil.

The individuals we fight aren't evil, but the acts they are attempting to do are. In this way we are fighting evil within the Spiral.

Regarding Necromancers: they aren't raising the dead. They are calling on the power of those dead in the same way a Conjurer calls upon the power of mythical creatures. Malistaire was trying to bring his wife back to life, not just summon her as an undead for a moment.