Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

don't be that guy

AuthorMessage
Historian
Aug 10, 2009
So, today i was just wandering around on my wee fire gal... and this guy starts yelling at me about my gear... He says please get better gear! I was like Please stop telling others how to play... it went really down hill from there...

I enjoy playing, I may not have the best gear but I solo most of the time so it isn't a big deal to me... Why do others feel the need to put others down because YOU don't think they have the right stuff.. I happen to like my gear and my pet.. and it shouldn't bother you, you are not the one wearing it..

#happyjustthewayiam

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
High Five to you!

There is a fine line between giving someone suggestions and simply hating on their stats.

Follow Idony's advice and "Don't Be That Guy"!

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 103+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Idony09 on May 8, 2017 wrote:
So, today i was just wandering around on my wee fire gal... and this guy starts yelling at me about my gear... He says please get better gear! I was like Please stop telling others how to play... it went really down hill from there...

I enjoy playing, I may not have the best gear but I solo most of the time so it isn't a big deal to me... Why do others feel the need to put others down because YOU don't think they have the right stuff.. I happen to like my gear and my pet.. and it shouldn't bother you, you are not the one wearing it..

#happyjustthewayiam
I'm wondering if his stats and gear were any better than yours?
#glasshouse

Hero
May 07, 2015
x high fives idony x you are so right! just because someone doesn't like your stats or your gear, doesn't give them a reason to be mean! I totally agree!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
How bossy and rude.

I would've put him on ignore as soon as possible. I know sometimes you can't if it's a battle or a dungeon you need to talk through.

It's none of his business.

If he's that worried he can buy you a pack or some gear. Or help you farm for some. Otherwise he should stay out of it. In other words if he's gonna act like your daddy there are responsibilities that go with that. Lol

If he's just a battle buddy they don't have to buy you things and they don't get to scold you either

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
I know how it feels like, I went through it yesterday when doing Malistair.

I love to interact and I think communication is the best way to have your group succeed in a battle, that's why I strategize with the team. Well, there was a Myth wizard in my team; he was so arrogant that I didnt have an immediate reaction, like you do not expect such an arrogant response when you haven't done anything to provoke that. To sum it up, the talk was just that:

Hey do you have shatter?

Listen you
I will do what I have to do and you do what you got to do
Don't expect me to do the things you want

Wow, so arrogant
I was just asking, you didn't need to be so arrogant

No arrogant
I just don't feel like strategize with you

If you don't feel like it, in a team battle, then it's not the right game for you
Play something you play with robots

I might think of it when you get better stats, until there..

Then, that was all. I swear I didn't say anything else to entice a reply such as that, but he's just too rude to team gameplay. You know, it's just so sad that there are people that treat others like that.
Oh well but ok; long gone.. I got a better group and it was enjoyable. We good there are more good people than bad people in the game, at least the ones I've stumbled on.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I ran in to a few players who told me : my gear stinks, "learn how to fight, Your deck is messed up; fix it" but not from the same players in a single battle. I find that very rude and insulting. I replayed by saying: Excuse me? Just because my game play doesn't meet your expectations doesn't mean it's wrong. You have your strategy, I have mine. People who thinks they are better than I am and is rude about it, doesn't need my help.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
I have no problem with what people choose as their gear. Mostly I see higher level players with more questionable gear than others and I get it. Not everyone has crowns to buy rattlebones or krok exalted for the gear and not everyone has time to farm malistaire. Its understandable, you just use the next best thing. My issue and its not even really an issue but I am just confused is people 100+ using gear that doesnt even benefit them. I was in Khrysalis on my 100 ice. I had decent gear, 70+ damage and 55+ resist to every school and over 5k health. Not the greatset but I had not gotten around to Malistaire yet etc. I teamed up with a death for a boss. We get in and I looked at her stats. 8% death damage, 10% resist. Had decent block and critical but had like 30% fire damage. I was really confused. And she didnt have a fire mastery or anything, and didnt use fire spells. Thats what baffles me, is how you even got to khrysalis with that gear. Having worse gear than others is one thing but using gear that doesnt even benefit your school I just dont understand. And thats not the only person I have seen do that either, people like that are everywhere. Dont mean to degrade anyone if you do that but I just dont understand it, maybe someone can explain to me?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
ManlyJoe on May 11, 2017 wrote:
I have no problem with what people choose as their gear. Mostly I see higher level players with more questionable gear than others and I get it. Not everyone has crowns to buy rattlebones or krok exalted for the gear and not everyone has time to farm malistaire. Its understandable, you just use the next best thing. My issue and its not even really an issue but I am just confused is people 100+ using gear that doesnt even benefit them. I was in Khrysalis on my 100 ice. I had decent gear, 70+ damage and 55+ resist to every school and over 5k health. Not the greatset but I had not gotten around to Malistaire yet etc. I teamed up with a death for a boss. We get in and I looked at her stats. 8% death damage, 10% resist. Had decent block and critical but had like 30% fire damage. I was really confused. And she didnt have a fire mastery or anything, and didnt use fire spells. Thats what baffles me, is how you even got to khrysalis with that gear. Having worse gear than others is one thing but using gear that doesnt even benefit your school I just dont understand. And thats not the only person I have seen do that either, people like that are everywhere. Dont mean to degrade anyone if you do that but I just dont understand it, maybe someone can explain to me?
Well, she probably didn't have anything better at the moment. You did point out that it had 'decent block and critical'.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
ManlyJoe on May 11, 2017 wrote:
I can explain.Its either trying for a challenge or forgetting to change your gear.

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
I 100 percent agree with you. People keep telling me my damage and critical are bad even though I have more health than them. It's not really a question of better or worse, it's a question of how you play. That is the point of any rpg, to choose your style. Plus even if your stats are actually "worse", this game is not a test of worthiness, you are supposed to have fun, and if they have nothing better to do than tell people their stats are bad then clearly you are honoring the game more than they are.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
I feel like if you don't like someone's gear or whatever, as said above, "don't be that guy." Keep your mean thoughts to yourself guys.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Honestly, I don't see the need for people to start acting so rude like that! Like if you don't like somebody's gear, then that's fine, but keep your opinions to yourself! I know some higher level people can be rude to people of lower levels then them, and don't get me wrong, there are a lot of max level people that are really nice, but those who like to think that they are better then everyone else and try to be rude to some people and push them around need to stop! If you don't like somebody's gear then that's ok, you don't have to like it, but unless somebody asks you, there's no need to be mean about it! If you want to give somebody a nice, thoughtful suggestion for better gear for their level, maybe that would be better then just trying to pick a fight with an innocent person on how you think their gear is bad! And to everybody who has been pushed around by any player or has had anybody be mean to them about anything, just ignore them. Push away the negative people and think about the positive things!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
omagicspells on May 15, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, I don't see the need for people to start acting so rude like that! Like if you don't like somebody's gear, then that's fine, but keep your opinions to yourself! I know some higher level people can be rude to people of lower levels then them, and don't get me wrong, there are a lot of max level people that are really nice, but those who like to think that they are better then everyone else and try to be rude to some people and push them around need to stop! If you don't like somebody's gear then that's ok, you don't have to like it, but unless somebody asks you, there's no need to be mean about it! If you want to give somebody a nice, thoughtful suggestion for better gear for their level, maybe that would be better then just trying to pick a fight with an innocent person on how you think their gear is bad! And to everybody who has been pushed around by any player or has had anybody be mean to them about anything, just ignore them. Push away the negative people and think about the positive things!
IMO sometimes even a well meant suggestion can hurt. Maybe the person they're saying it to cannot afford any 'better' gear. Maybe they haven't learned what the stats mean so they chose their gear for looks.

I think as tempting as it is to 'help' sometimes it's best to just leave things and give the person time to learn on their own. If they ask for an opinion or for help then go for it but in a tactfully spoken and actually helpful way.
It's sad if anyone could turn a player off of this community or off of this game because of a rude remark.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
*puts on fanfic von's snarky british accent*

how rude!

*goes back to normal speaking voice*

why on earth would anyone have a problem with your gear? they don't have to wear it. not all of us want to spend days/weeks/months/years farming *glares at malistaire the undying* and we wear whatever we can get our hands on by whatever means necessary.

if someone wants better gear, i will help them get it. and, if they don't, i'll leave them alone.

definitely don't be that guy/girl/whatever.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
The only time this subject has become an issue for me is during a team-up; and some jerk of a player decides to scan his team mates gear. Then he ( it's usually a he ) insults said players and quits the team-up!
How do they suppose we've been successful up to that point?
I soloed most of Khrysalis in what is considered "sub-par" gear ( no Water Works & no Darkmoor ) and yes a few bosses as well.
Yet in Mirage I got asked "Is that the best damage you do?"
Well, yes, and I've managed to kill quite a few bosses ( solo ) in that gear. ( and without henchmen, so don't go there. )
At least consider that the wizard you're teamed with is as competent as you are.