Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Animus Collecting is Broken?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
The tutorial implies that with every successful hit (enchanted with an extract spell) I should get one animus, and if that hit defeats the enemy, two animus. This isn't what happens though.

I fought Vilara Moonwraith the other day since I want her as a houseguest. I am the proper monstrology rank for her. I hit her with an extract-enchanted spell four times, with the fourth hit defeating her. After the second and third hits I was told, "Failed to collect monster animus - already collected". The final defeating hit netted me one more animus, for a total of two that battle out of the five I should have gotten according to the tutorial.

If that is truly how it works and I can only get one or two animus per fight... It takes thirty animus to make a houseguest. With the system set up like this that's way more fights than is reasonable!

Is Vilara just bugged or am I misunderstanding the tutorial?

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Did you use a Damage over Time spell?

Per the update notes: https://www.wizard101.com/game/updates#monstrology

"Note that if you are enchanting a Damage Over Time (DoT) spell with an Animus Extraction card, you will only be credited animus for the initial attack against the enemy, even if your DoT spell eventually defeats the enemy."

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
StarlitImagination on May 4, 2017 wrote:
The tutorial implies that with every successful hit (enchanted with an extract spell) I should get one animus, and if that hit defeats the enemy, two animus. This isn't what happens though.

I fought Vilara Moonwraith the other day since I want her as a houseguest. I am the proper monstrology rank for her. I hit her with an extract-enchanted spell four times, with the fourth hit defeating her. After the second and third hits I was told, "Failed to collect monster animus - already collected". The final defeating hit netted me one more animus, for a total of two that battle out of the five I should have gotten according to the tutorial.

If that is truly how it works and I can only get one or two animus per fight... It takes thirty animus to make a houseguest. With the system set up like this that's way more fights than is reasonable!

You DO NOT get animus for every hit, the most you will usually get is 3, 1 or 2 for the hit and 1 if the spell defeats the enemy.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2012

I've never gotten more than 3 animus from any enemy, and all have come on the first hit. If that hit kills, I'll get the max (typically 3). If not, I'll get one or two. I've noticed that the harder that hit, the more I get.

If you could get animus on each individual enchanted hit, you could keep hitting with extract-enchanted imps, firecats, and scarabs repeatedly in a fight and get gobs of them.

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I didn't pay much attention to the tutorial to be honest, but my understanding is you can collect animus twice...once on any hit and once on kill shot. Not every hit you make with an extract spell. The most I have ever collected from one creature so far is 3 animus between the two attacks, but I think 4 is possible.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
No, professor. It was two Orthruses, a Minotuar, and the final blow was Medusa. I'm not sure how double-hit spells fit into all this but Medusa should have gotten me two for that final blow at least and she didn't. I'm just very confused...

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
No, professor. It was two Orthruses, a Minotuar, and the final blow was Medusa. I'm not sure how double-hit spells fit into all this but Medusa should have gotten me two for that final blow at least and she didn't. I'm just very confused...
As I said, you only collect animus for the initial hit and the killing hit. If you hit once and it does not kill you will get 1-2 animus, if you kill with an enchanted hit, you will get 1 more.

max of 3 aniumus without the elixir.