Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New players buying thier way in the spiral

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 10, 2014
This is something I have seen happening at an alarming rate. And I, personally, am very curious how other veteran players of this game feel about these issues that follow.
As a veteran player (meaning three or more years minimum), how does it make you feel that everything you had to work hard for to get in the game or paid full price for is now being given away for free or at discount prices? Is it fair to offer all of these incentives to players who have not even invested a fraction of the time and money the old players did? I am clearly against it, as I feel it makes us lose the ability to have any true unique characters in the game any longer and it strongly contributes to the bullying and copycat issues which are overwhelming at this stage in the game.
Even things that were once only craft able or gatherable can now be bought; whereas we once had to farm and garden or we never even saw these things. In my opinion it seriously diminishes all the allure of what comes next and kills the magic spirit of the game as well as the journey of discovering the spiral for the first time (as if all the online fan pages and guides were not doing a good enough job of this lol; and I know for a fact I am not the only older player that feels that way about all the online stuff, as it comes up quite frequently in game play)
I mean what is the point of staying anymore, if they are just going to give everything away for free /or discounted and we lose the ability to have a character unique to us? Does King isle not realize how ungrateful this makes all the new players who just buy their way through the game? This my friends, I believe, is the real reason why so many people speed through and quit now and it is destroying game play for everyone really. Thoughts?

-A very concerned OP <3 BIG HUGS

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
So your enjoyment with wizard101 is based on what other people are doing? Now I do understand what you are saying. When they released the code wands in the elephant graveyard I was upset that something I had to leave my house and go search the city to find was now being given away in-game I was annoyed. But it's not like I've seen a ton of people walking around with it. Kingsisle needs to make money, period. If people are willing to pay then I say sell it.

I try not to let other peoples gaming experiences determine mine. I'm here because I enjoy the game. I don't get upset because some one has something I have. Because millions of people have what I have. If I spend my energy worrying about what everyone else has or does, when am I going to have time for me?

Things are being made half price regularly, don't buy it when it first comes out if you want to save money. Or buy a second one cheaper. Make it work for you.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
The best gear can not be bought. Some pieces of crowns gear might be vital to certain sets, but generally speaking, the best gear is dropped. Yes, there are second chance chests, but from what I hear they are often less than generous. That means that there is no way to buy your way to true mastery, no matter what some players like to say. Your completely crowns gear wizard will never match my stats. So, how do I feel about other players that spend money in the game I love? I'm totally cool with that. Doesn't bother me one bit. Buy all the crowns. When I meet them at the graveyard gates, I will be the kind pro who helps them understand the cheats and upgrade their gear. See you there.
Amber

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
MariahEmeraldheart on Nov 22, 2016 wrote:
This is something I have seen happening at an alarming rate. And I, personally, am very curious how other veteran players of this game feel about these issues that follow.
As a veteran player (meaning three or more years minimum), how does it make you feel that everything you had to work hard for to get in the game or paid full price for is now being given away for free or at discount prices? Is it fair to offer all of these incentives to players who have not even invested a fraction of the time and money the old players did? I am clearly against it, as I feel it makes us lose the ability to have any true unique characters in the game any longer and it strongly contributes to the bullying and copycat issues which are overwhelming at this stage in the game.
Even things that were once only craft able or gatherable can now be bought; whereas we once had to farm and garden or we never even saw these things. In my opinion it seriously diminishes all the allure of what comes next and kills the magic spirit of the game as well as the journey of discovering the spiral for the first time (as if all the online fan pages and guides were not doing a good enough job of this lol; and I know for a fact I am not the only older player that feels that way about all the online stuff, as it comes up quite frequently in game play)
I mean what is the point of staying anymore, if they are just going to give everything away for free /or discounted and we lose the ability to have a character unique to us? Does King isle not realize how ungrateful this makes all the new players who just buy their way through the game? This my friends, I believe, is the real reason why so many people speed through and quit now and it is destroying game play for everyone really. Thoughts?

-A very concerned OP <3 BIG HUGS
Well there really always was discounts before and I don't find this a huge problem. The main point of this game is to quest and progress through the story and so far nothing has been ruined about it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
There are always sales and giveaways in life. At some point someone paid full price for the same thing.

I don't think about what other people are doing or paying. As long as it's the same for everyone at the same time, I don't see anything but a fluid business. I'd expect things to change or update as the business itself changes.

I don't really want to ask others if they paid more than or less than I paid, in the past (or in the future). I honestly...don't care.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Keep one thing in perspective...it doesn't matter if you received it first, full price or is the only one in the game. When the game goes away, so does all the common and ultra-rare or discounted items.

Just like how the internet has eroded society's need for libraries than before, time marches on and things will never be fair like they "used to be".

Take pride in the fact yours is worth more or was received first, but there are already a bunch of items that are retired forever. We don't need a longer list of items that the community cannot enjoy together.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Everyone has to buy their way around the spiral and in fact, even the older players buy their way around the spiral.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2016
I don't really think it matters. Business is business, and keeps the game running. At the end of the day, the game has the same finish. Personally, I find that a lot of dropped gear has better stats than my Crowns-purchased gear.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
If I walked around the Spiral, I couldn't even tell you who got something "legit" and who got the "cheap" version. Truth be told, I don't even know what I should be looking for to be upset about.

It really doesn't matter to me what someone else has, nor how they got it.

The only speed runners I ever knew didn't do it because other people were "buying their way", it was because they didn't have jobs or school and were home all day playing the game.

You're more than welcome to begrudge other players on how they achieve things, but I am a veteran player who doesn't. I don't care if dungeons I did got easier for the people behind me. I don't care if drop rates become better in those same dungeons. I don't care if things I spent Crowns on are cheaper now than they were when I bought them. I don't even care if people can buy their way to Level 50 now. It just doesn't bother me.