Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do Spells Work?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 27, 2014
I read about this on another dead topic, and wanted to bring the topic back to life. That topic had people filled with theories. I put my own one together though that I am quite proud of and would like to hear feedback.

So, has anybody ever thought how a spell actually works? Like, its just a card, how does it manage to summon these giant, dangerous monsters? Some say the monster is trapped in the card, some say their energy is stored into the card. Here goes my theory though.

My theory is that a card is like a payphone (if any of you even remember what that is) & phone number. You pay the phone (pips) and call the number (casting). Now, because of some evidence which I will get to later, I believe there is a world where all these creatures live, each school has their own environment in this world, and in that environment are all the creatures from that school. So, when you play a card you are dialing their number to ask for assistance, that creature you called responds by either fizzling (decline) or coming to help (attack). Now for evidence of some of these things.

First off, the whole calling part. The evidence for this is basically the Storm Lord quest, if any of you storm wizards remember that. That quest was one of the biggest hints in the game of how spells work. I recall in the quest the Storm Lord himself says "You may CALL upon me in great need." Then when you go back to the storm professor to get the Storm Lord card itself he says "Storm Lord will be on the lookout for your CALL, here is the spell to get his attention." So this shows that the creatures you summon came from somewhere else to you; this is due to the spell being a call for help.

Second, if what I said so far is correct, then where are they being summoned from? There is no full proof evidence of anything I am about to say, but I think they have a world with an environment from every school, and the creatures of that school stay in that environment and respond to calls from the players by either fizzling (decline) or coming to assist (attacking). Now, why do I believe in the world you ask? Well, I don't have anything you can completely rely on, but, I recall almost every spell, if not every spell starts off with an environment (taken from the creature world) and then if you look closely it looks like the actual monster itself comes from underground, a portal, or a quick flash of light. These could all be resembling portals from the world they came from. If you think about it, no spell that I recall just has the monster appear out of no where.

Anyways, that is my theory, hope you enjoyed. If you have any ideas, don't hesitate to post them, I would love to hear new ideas. Thanks for sticking through the whole thing, let me know what you thought.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2015
This is a great theory, and I really like it. But how do charms and wards work then? They're not monsters you call from other worlds.

Survivor
May 27, 2014
MaxwellMW on Dec 7, 2015 wrote:
This is a great theory, and I really like it. But how do charms and wards work then? They're not monsters you call from other worlds.
Thanks!

I actually thought about that after I posted this post, I completely forgot about them and been trying to some how work them into my theory. Haven't thought of anything yet, so that could possibly already prove my theory wrong.

Anyways, I will keep trying to think of something and post it here if I do. If you come up with anything, I would love to hear it.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
King Artorius answered this a while back. The spell pulls the summoned creature to your dueling circle from somewhere in the Spiral. That said, for things like the Storm Lord, you're just summoning one aspect of him; there aren't 30,000 Storm Lords just swimming around in the Spiral. As for the pip cost, I suspect that the more powerful the creature, the more magical energy that has to be put into pulling it to you.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
I agree mostly because many of them do mention things about calling or summoning them. They are not created. And if you read the official wizard101 website page with all the classes they do also mention things about summons not creation. I personally think the card is like a portal. Like a hearthstone or something. It is connected to the creature and will entice/convince etc (Depending on your class) them to do your bidding. The only exception is the life school. If you pay attention you will notice that they're school uses song to create creatures. I think perhaps the cards for life in a way are like sheet music but like in energy form you don't physically read it you just sort of feel the rhytmn. Anyways that's my thoughts!

-Jessica Swiftgem, Prodigious Thaumaturge

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Well In A certain trading card game I play. Players pull creatures from their home to fight for the player. Once the player is done with the creature it returns to it's time and place at the exact time it was summoned. The creature has no memory of being summoned and it is always returned in the same condition it was left. This lets players summon Legendary heroes without disturbing history. In fact in that game Both players can summon the same hero, from different points in time and the poor fellow will be fighting himself! Afterwards of course both of him are returned to each time and place without a scratch and with no memory of the event.

If it were the same way here, then all summoned trolls could be the same troll.

As for charms and traps, we aren't solely summoners we are supposed to know how to shape raw magic.
I know that an artist often does a better job when his inspirations are in front of him, perhaps we paint magic better if we have a spell card in front of us.

Hero
May 07, 2015
Tyguy2464 on Dec 5, 2015 wrote:
I read about this on another dead topic, and wanted to bring the topic back to life. That topic had people filled with theories. I put my own one together though that I am quite proud of and would like to hear feedback.

So, has anybody ever thought how a spell actually works? Like, its just a card, how does it manage to summon these giant, dangerous monsters? Some say the monster is trapped in the card, some say their energy is stored into the card. Here goes my theory though.

My theory is that a card is like a payphone (if any of you even remember what that is) & phone number. You pay the phone (pips) and call the number (casting). Now, because of some evidence which I will get to later, I believe there is a world where all these creatures live, each school has their own environment in this world, and in that environment are all the creatures from that school. So, when you play a card you are dialing their number to ask for assistance, that creature you called responds by either fizzling (decline) or coming to help (attack). Now for evidence of some of these things.

First off, the whole calling part. The evidence for this is basically the Storm Lord quest, if any of you storm wizards remember that. That quest was one of the biggest hints in the game of how spells work. I recall in the quest the Storm Lord himself says "You may CALL upon me in great need." Then when you go back to the storm professor to get the Storm Lord card itself he says "Storm Lord will be on the lookout for your CALL, here is the spell to get his attention." So this shows that the creatures you summon came from somewhere else to you; this is due to the spell being a call for help.

Second, if what I said so far is correct, then where are they being summoned from? There is no full proof evidence of anything I am about to say, but I think they have a world with an environment from every school, and the creatures of that school stay in that environment and respond to calls from the players by either fizzling (decline) or coming to assist (attacking). Now, why do I believe in the world you ask? Well, I don't have anything you can completely rely on, but, I recall almost every spell, if not every spell starts off with an environment (taken from the creature world) and then if you look closely it looks like the actual monster itself comes from underground, a portal, or a quick flash of light. These could all be resembling portals from the world they came from. If you think about it, no spell that I recall just has the monster appear out of no where.

Anyways, that is my theory, hope you enjoyed. If you have any ideas, don't hesitate to post them, I would love to hear new ideas. Thanks for sticking through the whole thing, let me know what you thought.
good theory! i had never thought of it like that! nice job!

Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
Does this mean the humungofrog jumps to our world?
because the spell summons a blue/green dome and then humungofrog just lands on it. Does this mean that he just jumped from wherever he came from?
if so then I want a humungofrog mount to be put into the game.