Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Leveling

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
Im proposing this thread to offer some new ideas on pet leveling. I have played this game since the beginning and I have leveled more pets than I care to admit, however I just do not care to do it any longer. I have many new pets I would like to see leveled but the thought of doing another mini-game dissuades me. KI I think its time to offer alternatives to minigame leveling. I will offer a few suggestions here and I hope others will leave some ideas of their own.

1. Have pets level from fights that your in. For example you get in a fight your pet receives 2 points xp once you have beaten the fight. To keep people from farming low level trash you just have the ability only available in their level range. Also cap the amount gained to your energy level.
2.Food storage. Every day you can put one food item in a cache and 1 time a week you can use the cache to level the pet. For example each day I put a five point food in the cache after 7 days I have 35 points in food that get put towards my pet.
3. Quests for pets. Have a daily pet quest that changes every day. Once you have completed the quest your pet gets 25 points.

So please my fellow players help me out here with some new ideas, to pet leveling.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2009
I too am sick of playing mini-games to level pets. My ideas are as follows:

1. You bring your pet to the pet pavilion and for a certain amount of gold per level, including snacks you have, your pet is trained over time automatically. I think they are doing something like this on Pirates101

2. For lower wizards, for every thousand experience you get by fight, your pet that you "tag" for training advances 100 exp. using your highest level snacks. Medium level wizards that becomes 5000 exp for 100 exp/ pet, highest level od 10,000 per 100 exp.

3. For lots of gold or crowns you get to buy a pre-trained pet.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Here's a thought... Younger players always seem to be looking for gold and often something to do. Perhaps there could be an anonymous "pet training service" where you can sign up and train pets on behalf of other players? Players could drop their pet off with snacks, pay some gold and then check back later. Players who haven't been burned out on mini-games can grab a pet from the queue with snacks and train away. When they complete training, they are awarded gold. I'm really just spit-balling here, but I thought I'd suggest it.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
Grace Giver on Apr 13, 2014 wrote:
I too am sick of playing mini-games to level pets. My ideas are as follows:

1. You bring your pet to the pet pavilion and for a certain amount of gold per level, including snacks you have, your pet is trained over time automatically. I think they are doing something like this on Pirates101

2. For lower wizards, for every thousand experience you get by fight, your pet that you "tag" for training advances 100 exp. using your highest level snacks. Medium level wizards that becomes 5000 exp for 100 exp/ pet, highest level od 10,000 per 100 exp.

3. For lots of gold or crowns you get to buy a pre-trained pet.
Some good ideas Grace. TY for the post

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
I think the idea I've always had and liked is just make it so they get like 10% of xp from a battle your in.

For low levels that would be like 1xp for battle, and once you make it to the higher worlds, that's like 6 per battle (which is plenty generous in my opinion. just consider the amount of battles you could do in 1 hour)

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95 <- this guy would be my pet trainer if this happened
John DragonPyre - lvl53
John FrostShard - lvl50

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
A simpler solution would be to allow people to just "Feed Pet". Just add a feeding area to the pavillion. Step on the sigil, instead of a game, a list of your snacks comes up, you pick one and "Feed Pet". You would still use the energy like a game and would lose the extra 4 exp, but wouldn't have to play games repeatedly. This would speed training, make players happier, and wouldn't affect KI's sales of snacks and energy. If anything it might increase sales because of the speed you could go through snacks.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
Omg yes

I know KI has to make their money....but theres a limit man.
I used to play FusionFall before it shut down. In that game I got accustomed to ALWAYS having a companion that WASNT useless and just the mere idea of having a game where companions stalk my shadow and are utterly useless was something I just couldnt accept.

When I leveled up, their attack power increased with my own. In there, it really felt like we were a team. There was even ways where your three companions (called nanos by the way) could practically carry you through battles if done correctly.

But due to obvious circumstances, im here now. X)

Not too long after I got here and before I got leveled up to know any better, I bought a Black Cat. It was my first pet and I, like all other beginners, started off by using the pet pavillion. Obviously thinking it was obsurd, I went along woth it anyway. I couldnt believe the progress I made with each game + snack. It would be insulting to even call it a snail's pace. Its outrageous to even assume that you can get a pet from Epic to Mega using these games. :\

So, just before I almost gave up on the idea of leveling my cat up, I found grub guardian. Genius idea KI; I have to admit. It cut leveling time down by half and I can get a pet from baby to ancient in one day if I dedicate myself to it....and also have enough mega snacks.

Which brings me to my next complaint.

Power leveling your pets is SOLELY dependant on the ammount of money youre willing to blow on snacks. No ammount of solo training will EVER suffice. To get my new Heckhound pet to Ancient, I had to spend money on about 4 mega snack pets. When I got my Black Cat to Epic it was about 6 or so. It takes money to make your pets useful; not time and effort as most video game logic would allow.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
Not only that, what if you spend all this money on a pet and you dont get any helpful stats AT ALL? My Black Cat gave me two cards, death resistance, and a serious health boost. I would have been happy with a little bit of something like some fire resistance and that be all.

After spending all those pet snacks on it, it only got stats for itself for the derby; an event that I dont take part in.Yay.

This is very discouraging. This experience tells me that there may be times that I could invest time into leveling up a pet with hard earned money and get absolutely nothing back. This is sad too since I have now came in the posession of about two more pets that were given to me through quests.

How can I convince myself now that leveling them up is worth it?

It wouldnt be a problem if pets earned more experience from games. If they could get to to the next with just half the effort it would be okay. If I found out that it didnt have stats at all, then it would be fine. Not that much effort was burned on it ane you can go on to training the next companion.

However, A Black Cat on its way to Mega earning +2 pts per game is HIGHLY discomforting. Even meta snacks are laughable to his exp needed. He needs 2,000 exp pts. Some snacks only give him 40pts. Srusly?

Think maybe the higher level they get, they get a slight more exp from games to make up for the fact that some need a whopping 2 grand in pts?

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
170calories on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
Im proposing this thread to offer some new ideas on pet leveling. I have played this game since the beginning and I have leveled more pets than I care to admit, however I just do not care to do it any longer. I have many new pets I would like to see leveled but the thought of doing another mini-game dissuades me. KI I think its time to offer alternatives to minigame leveling. I will offer a few suggestions here and I hope others will leave some ideas of their own.

1. Have pets level from fights that your in. For example you get in a fight your pet receives 2 points xp once you have beaten the fight. To keep people from farming low level trash you just have the ability only available in their level range. Also cap the amount gained to your energy level.
2.Food storage. Every day you can put one food item in a cache and 1 time a week you can use the cache to level the pet. For example each day I put a five point food in the cache after 7 days I have 35 points in food that get put towards my pet.
3. Quests for pets. Have a daily pet quest that changes every day. Once you have completed the quest your pet gets 25 points.

So please my fellow players help me out here with some new ideas, to pet leveling.
1. No. Basically you get to level up your pet for free without training. Why don't they just remove the pet pavilion whike they're at it.
2. No. Just do a game and feed them. Duh.
3. No. Basically a free rank 8 mega every day.
If you want a good pet, you have to train it. It's that simple. I wouldn't mind them decreasing/removing selfish talents though, by Bartleby I hate those.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
Robobot1747 on Apr 13, 2014 wrote:
1. No. Basically you get to level up your pet for free without training. Why don't they just remove the pet pavilion whike they're at it.
2. No. Just do a game and feed them. Duh.
3. No. Basically a free rank 8 mega every day.
If you want a good pet, you have to train it. It's that simple. I wouldn't mind them decreasing/removing selfish talents though, by Bartleby I hate those.
1.Your right they should remove pet pavilion. Yes mindless miningames over and over is like the monkey putting the round peg in the round hole a 1000s times to get a treat. Sorry but I am no ape.
2. The point of the post is that the games have become to much like work after 3 years, and sorry I already have a job. Plus new ideas keep the game fresh.
3. Wow, do you not understand the point of this post? I am offering ideas as well as other people here. The ideas may not be perfect but we are attempting to add to the game in a positive way. Everything in life that does not change or evolve dies.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Xiiarnine on Apr 13, 2014 wrote:
Omg yes

I know KI has to make their money....but theres a limit man.
I used to play FusionFall before it shut down. In that game I got accustomed to ALWAYS having a companion that WASNT useless and just the mere idea of having a game where companions stalk my shadow and are utterly useless was something I just couldnt accept.

When I leveled up, their attack power increased with my own. In there, it really felt like we were a team. There was even ways where your three companions (called nanos by the way) could practically carry you through battles if done correctly.

But due to obvious circumstances, im here now. X)

Not too long after I got here and before I got leveled up to know any better, I bought a Black Cat. It was my first pet and I, like all other beginners, started off by using the pet pavillion. Obviously thinking it was obsurd, I went along woth it anyway. I couldnt believe the progress I made with each game + snack. It would be insulting to even call it a snail's pace. Its outrageous to even assume that you can get a pet from Epic to Mega using these games. :\

So, just before I almost gave up on the idea of leveling my cat up, I found grub guardian. Genius idea KI; I have to admit. It cut leveling time down by half and I can get a pet from baby to ancient in one day if I dedicate myself to it....and also have enough mega snacks.

Which brings me to my next complaint.

Power leveling your pets is SOLELY dependant on the ammount of money youre willing to blow on snacks. No ammount of solo training will EVER suffice. To get my new Heckhound pet to Ancient, I had to spend money on about 4 mega snack pets. When I got my Black Cat to Epic it was about 6 or so. It takes money to make your pets useful; not time and effort as most video game logic would allow.
"Power leveling your pets is SOLELY dependant on the ammount of money youre willing to blow on snacks. No ammount of solo training will EVER suffice. To get my new Heckhound pet to Ancient, I had to spend money on about 4 mega snack pets. When I got my Black Cat to Epic it was about 6 or so. It takes money to make your pets useful; not time and effort as most video game logic would allow."

Completely untrue. I have never spent a penny on training pets. You can farm for Couch Potato seeds and garden them. My gardens give me over a 100 mega-snacks every 4 days and didn't cost anything BUT time and effort. Just because you choose not to do it doesn't mean that the game doesn't allow it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
170calories on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:
1.Your right they should remove pet pavilion. Yes mindless miningames over and over is like the monkey putting the round peg in the round hole a 1000s times to get a treat. Sorry but I am no ape.
2. The point of the post is that the games have become to much like work after 3 years, and sorry I already have a job. Plus new ideas keep the game fresh.
3. Wow, do you not understand the point of this post? I am offering ideas as well as other people here. The ideas may not be perfect but we are attempting to add to the game in a positive way. Everything in life that does not change or evolve dies.
I really don't want to discourage the pet pavilion. It servers a valuable purpose, specifically to the younger set who may not care about high level game play. My daughter, for instance, rather enjoys the pet games but that's because she doesn't care about leveling all of them as though they were a piece of gear. However, your point about work is spot on. If you are looking for a higher level of play, pet training is a must and as it sits it is the single most mind numbing aspect of this game. When I was trying very hard for a pet with 3 useful attributes, I seriously considered quitting the game several times just from sheer annoyance.

Oh, and not to be facetious... but everything dies whether it evolves/changes or not.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
seethe42 on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:
"Power leveling your pets is SOLELY dependant on the ammount of money youre willing to blow on snacks. No ammount of solo training will EVER suffice. To get my new Heckhound pet to Ancient, I had to spend money on about 4 mega snack pets. When I got my Black Cat to Epic it was about 6 or so. It takes money to make your pets useful; not time and effort as most video game logic would allow."

Completely untrue. I have never spent a penny on training pets. You can farm for Couch Potato seeds and garden them. My gardens give me over a 100 mega-snacks every 4 days and didn't cost anything BUT time and effort. Just because you choose not to do it doesn't mean that the game doesn't allow it.
Choose not to?
1.) Sir/ Madame I've never seen a Couch Potato in my life.

2.) I just started this game only a few months ago.

3.) You're being unfair assuming that everyone with a w101 account knows how to plant like that.
I just have five Pink Dandelions one Stinkweed and one Prickly Bear (only just gotten from the giveaway) In the ground. I dont know anything about stats of the plants or anything. I just planted the Pink Dandelions because I thought that they were adorable when you go to harvest them.

4.) I am only at level 26 and dont even know where to even acquire a large pot. I've just recently made it to Marleybone and Grizzlehiem and I havent even seen a large pot yet. Even checked the bazzar. Now, im not sure if Couch potatoes take large pots or not but I'm assuming they do.

5.) I am not waiting around to whatever level you are at to have at least ONE helpful companion. I choose not to call them "pets" because that is not how I wish to see them as. As it stands, My Black Cat gave me one of the two most reliable cards in my deck. As soon as an enemies health is wittled down enough and I have that card in my hand, I know instantly the duel is over. Now just imagine if I had waited to figure out and learn all that advanced gardening that you do? I wouldnt have a black cat at Epic until I'm almost done with the first arc or whatever.

Try not to be so cold when stating your opinion next time. Its not fair to assume.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
seethe42 on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:

To add to what seethe42 said... I make rank 6 pet snacks and use those. They are worth 8 per snack (for appropriate pet school) and done first thing in the morning and last thing at night... they go "fairly" quickly. It doesn't change the fact that its super annoying though.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
170calories on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:
1. My suggestion to remove the pet pavilion was sarcastic. If you want a good pet, do the games. If it doesn't matter to you, don't. I have the most useless enchanted armament and I have had it since Magus level up to Transcendent. Nobody makes you get a perfect pet.
2. Then do the dance game and fail on purpose. Takes about 15 seconds.
3. And I am offering ideas as to why your ideas are a bad idea to implement. If you don't want negative feedback, don't post your ideas.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
Okay, to avoid making this a non-productive thread I have an idea.

Just like pets randomly get exp from eating items....how about they randomly aquire exp from battles. Not too often to the point of negating the use of the pet pavillion for those that like it for sentimental and entertainment value.
But not too infrequently to the point of non exsistence.

If id suggest a ratio....id say about 3exp for every 12-16 battles.

Kinda almost like a neat surprise after a random tough match.
Just like you get a chance for a bigger reward if you have alot of pips at the end, the chance for pet exp also increases.

Better idea no?

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
Robobot1747 on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:
1. My suggestion to remove the pet pavilion was sarcastic. If you want a good pet, do the games. If it doesn't matter to you, don't. I have the most useless enchanted armament and I have had it since Magus level up to Transcendent. Nobody makes you get a perfect pet.
2. Then do the dance game and fail on purpose. Takes about 15 seconds.
3. And I am offering ideas as to why your ideas are a bad idea to implement. If you don't want negative feedback, don't post your ideas.
First off I too was being sarcastic about the pet pavilion. Second you offered no ideas except that you didn't like what I had to say. Since you clearly are a new member with six months or so under your belt I can see why these games haven't bored you yet. I wonder in four more years if you can say the same. The fact is there is nothing wrong with having another way to level pets that is less time consuming and utterly boring. I mean I would rather have a passive ability that caps me out well below what I could make from food and mini games.