Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Newbie w/issues

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 12, 2014
I have been trying to play the game. My son already plays. He showed me how to get to my house but I had no button to place furniture, it told me I must equip a pet first. I had the stray piggle but no equip button for her. So I bought another pet. When it hatched I was able to equip it from the announcement on my screen but again under the pet tab, no equip button. So, once equipped I went back to my house and I do not have a place furniture button at all. I am mightily confused. Please help a poor woman out!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Gwithiel on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
I have been trying to play the game. My son already plays. He showed me how to get to my house but I had no button to place furniture, it told me I must equip a pet first. I had the stray piggle but no equip button for her. So I bought another pet. When it hatched I was able to equip it from the announcement on my screen but again under the pet tab, no equip button. So, once equipped I went back to my house and I do not have a place furniture button at all. I am mightily confused. Please help a poor woman out!
Hi Gwithiel, and welcome!

The Equip button is not on the pet tab: it's on the Backpack tab.

Press B to open your backpack. You can view all of your items at once, or click the individual tabs to do it by equipment type. Click on the item you wish to equip and then on the icon that looks like a hand. Once you do this, the hand icon will appear beside the item.

To place furniture, look to the bottom right-hand corner of your screen the next time you're at your house. Click the button that looks like a bed and, much like the Backpack button, you can view all of your furniture at once or by type.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Happy questing,
-von

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
To equip pets, go to your backpack (press B) then click on the little Piggle on the top, not the side. That is where you select pets to equip.

Inside your house, bottom right there's a little Bed icon with an arrow. Click that to open the interface for placing and moving furniture.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Go to your dorm room / or house.

In the lower right corner of your screen, you always have a "red book" which is your Players Guide.

Open your Players Guide and click on the "housing" tab on the top row of tabs. It looks like the picture of a bed.

There are seven pages that explain in detail housing items and how to place them, etc.

Basically, when you are in your dorm room or house, you would:
- click on the circle tab on the lower right side of your screen to "place objects".
- a row of tabs will appear across the bottom of your screen showing all of your housing item tabs.
- The first tab shows "all" housing items.
- The individual tabs after the first one show specific items (like plant life, wall hangings, flooring and wallpaper).
- Click on an item to place it in your dorm room, and drag it to where you want to place it. Click again to release it in place.

More details are in your Players Handbook (like how to move it around again after you place it).

Pets are "equipped" just like any other piece of gear (hats, robes, shoes, decks, etc.).
Press "b" to open your Backpack to see all of your items.
Click on the "pets" tab at the top of the screen to see just your pets.
Click on a pet that you want to equip.
Then, at the bottom of your screen, click on the second circle tab, which is a "hand".
You would use that same "hand" to equip or un-equip a pet or any item.

When you are finished working with your housing items, or equipping your pet / gear, click on the "red X" at the lower right corner of the screen.

It might sound confusing right now, but before long it becomes second nature. I learned from my grandson, who would always say to me ... "this is so easy"... hmmm... He was right.

Defender
Dec 08, 2012
Hello there, I'll try my best to help you out today. Since I know how this game works, I really didn't have this kind of problem so bare with me. I've gotten my mom started on Playing Wizard101 and I had to teach her a little bit on some things sometimes so I'll give you a hand here. First off, in terms of equipping, there are 2 ways to equip something:
1) Click on the "Equip" button
-OR-
2) Double-Click on the item that you would like to equip.

Now I really do not understand what you mean about you didn't have a button to place furniture until you equipped a pet. If things are loading (there will be a Spiral symbol with a arrow circling it on the Top Left hand corner of your screen below a Blue Button with a speech bubble on it), then you will not be able to open the Furniture inventory until that loading is completed. The furniture button will be darkened and when you hover your mouse over the Furniture button, it will say something like "please wait as items are being delivered to your house" or something like that because of things being loaded. Starting Wizard101 as a newbie is sometimes not fun when you have to wait for EVERYTHING to load so you'll just have to be patient if things are loading for you. Also, if a pet is still in the "Egg" stage in which it's still in the time frame of it hatching (some pets hatches within 1 minute, a lot of pets hatches within 5 minutes, and some pets hatches within 24 hours), then you must first wait for it to hatch. You'll get a notification on the left side of your screen telling you that the pet has officially hatched when the timer reaches 0 and can be now equipped. I hope this helped and have a great time in the Spiral

Hunter WaterSmith Level 95
Miguel ShadowBlood Level 66

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
A little reading on the how tos can be a help.

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/housing

I know it can be over whelming at first to get things in order. It took me about 40 levels on my wizard for me to feel I knew the basics.

Most of the things you are going to want to equip start by clicking on the icons across the top of your back pack while viewing it. Then you need to double click to equip it. Sadly your pet has nothing to do with placing items in your house.

While at your house there is an icon of a house in the lower corner of your screen that brings up the inventory of what you have that can be placed at your dorm/castle.

Mary

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
You might not be on the right tab of your backpack. You may have been looking at the stats of your pet not the quick look. To equip pets you go to the inventory where you equip gear and such and the pet tab is on the very end and that's how you can equip pets. To move furniture or add furniture, you must own your home first and on the bottom right just above your spell book, there's a small bed and an arrow looking circle. You click that and then it should say place object. You can place your pets, mounts, things you have bought or what dropped from bosses. There's also gardening but you must have done the gardening quest in Wizard city first before you can do that. Hope this helped!

-Sarai Mistsong, Wizard

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I am guessing you are clicking on spell book at bottom of screen then clicking on the pet tab at the side. This opens up the stats for your pet(s). To equip a pet you have to go to your backpack. You can easily get there by pressing 'B' on your keyboard. From there click on the pet tab at the top. This will open up the part of your backpack where your pets are. Simply double click the pet you want to equip, or highlight the pet you want then click the fist icon.

As for your furniture... When in your dorm or house, you will see a icon on the bottom right of your screen that looks like a bed. Clicking on that will show the housing items you have at the bottom of the screen. From there you simply choose what item you want and place it.

I hope this helped and that you have fun in the spiral.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
Under the pet tab in your book, it only shows your pet's stats, etc. You can equit/unequip clothing items, wands, pets, and mounts by going to your backpack tab, clicking the icon of whatever you want to equip/unequip, and choosing the item in question.
I've never had a problem with housing like this, but again it may be a glitch.
I was never aware that you had to equip a pet before messing around with your housing, but it's been some time since I made a new character and KI may have changed some requirements since then.
Hope this helped, if only a little.
Sorry for not being able to explain better :/

-Calamity Deathbringer, Grandmaster Necromancer

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Welcome!

You do not need a pet to place furniture or own/ equip a house. There is no equip button for pets or gear. You must go to your backpack, select the proper tab and then select the pet, hat, etc., to equip it.

Since you have been to a house (not sure if you mean a castle or your dorm room) I think you are just confused by the "button" you are looking for. When in your castle or dorm room, on the bottom right-hand side of your screen is an icon that looks like a bed (it's next to one that looks like a plant). If you have housing items in your backpack, click that 'bed' and you will be able to place your items. You must have your furniture, wall hangings, etc., in your backpack.

You can also store items in your bank, which is found in all houses and your dorm room.