Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 26, 2014
Can someone please explain to me how the new, current system works? Here is my predicament: with my WW gear, I have 132 critical rating, but I only have 1% critical chance and I have 1% critical chance with all of my other schools and their rating is only 33. But if I equip my other gear, I have 220 critical and a 17% critical chance. This is not at all proportional and seems very broken to me! Someone please explain so that I know I'm not going crazy.

~James Hawkstaff lvl 89

Survivor
Oct 04, 2012
Let me just say that this new system is crap. I was just fighting with a Ice boss in Azteca and I couldn't block any of his criticals. I have 48% of block rating for Ice and didn't stop a single one (it was like 6 or 7). I can't even stop a critical from the normal enemies...

This change is very bad and the game is getting harder and harder for nothing, the drops are awful and the gear doesn't evolve as the game does. I play here for years and it was fun, but now I'm getting stressed as I can't pass a normal boss without struggling to keep alive.

It seems that KI is only getting more greedy and this last update may be the drop to make me leave this game.

I hope you do something in the next days.

Kind Regards

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
I try to play now but there is no joy anymore. And there’s no way I’m going to invest time and money into building another strong wizard. I can’t shake this overwhelming sense of betrayal. I don’t trust KI (not that it’s a bad company, it’s not). It’s just that through this debacle I’ve learned I’m not in control of the games I play and the rug can be pulled out from under me at any moment. It’s very, very sad.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I have not been playing that much for a while anyway, as the game was already getting too bogged down for me to enjoy it much. But coming back on to find this massive change to critical and block is a major bummer. Especially the block equations -- whatever they are exactly I have no idea -- but they have reduced what used to be a substantial block for me to now only 1%? Really? This stinks. I have spent both time and money -- real money -- getting gear that made my wizards playable for me. Major waste. I am so disappointed with this change. Another case of trying to fix what was not broken.

Just let us play the darn game we signed on to play. Don't keep changing things we have already come to rely on. If you want to add something new, that is one thing. But don't change what we have already worked so hard and spent so much to develop.

I don't want to just let this game go; I have enjoyed it for years. But as it gets less and less enjoyable, I play less, and get to feeling I am just wasting my money trying to stick with it.

At the very least, make the block closer to what it used to be. Now even with what I had carefully worked at to give me a balanced crit and block gear, I can't block diddly.

I am so sick of this tinkering with what is already in place. I will try for a bit more, but with each update, it becomes more and more likely that this game is no longer a good investment. Major bummer.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2012
seethe42 on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
Damage from jewels is flat not a %. 62 damage from jewels adds 62 damage NOT 62%. As for bosses becoming increasingly more difficult, the bosses and mobs in Polaris are at the same level as Avalon bosses mostly.
PFFF REALLY? might as well be darkmoor mobs and bosses I would have to disagree tho not Avalon id say more Azteca there guy O.o lol at any rate the new system is a broken upgrade and that's saying it generously it needs to reverted back to what was.... any game ive played you start out as low man and work your way up getting gear xp riches and armore not go go go then be down graded as if to start all over again. Someone here had a bad idea idk what else to say

liam stormbrand TEAM BRING IT

Survivor
Dec 04, 2012
This new critical and block system makes some of the fights absolutely impossible. KI, I am sorry, but you should have never changed the critical system. I am a storm wizard currently questing in Avalon. As I am writing this, I am for the 13th time trying to beat a boss. Why can't I beat him, he lands critical on me every time!!! This is not fair! Also, I would like to speak about my fellow players on social media that all of their money and time spent for critical gear is now down the drain. Kingsisle, the new system has made the game of Wizard101 from fun to nearly impossible at times. I along with my fellow wizards beg you to please repeal or fix this system. I cannot block a single critical and am dying constantly. If you call that balanced game play what kind of video game creators are you? I shouldn't be dying every boss battle i try. It needs to be fixed. I cannot win a single boss battle. And i know it is not me because I have soloed avalon before and it was easy as pie. So please KI, from me and a ton of my fellow wizards... Repeal the new Critical system! Change It Back!!!!

JackTheWizard

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Just wanted to say that
A) I am glad to see KI is reading this thread
B) Tuscon Wiz's comments are great and I agree
C) I had to wonder why there are so many wizards who are REALLY mad (at KI) about "all the crowns and work to get gear or to level pets in anticipation of the new world". Whose fault is that? No one told you to spend all that time and effort on pet training or farming gear. You did that yourself. So if you are mad, be mad at yourself for time and money wasted. Maybe before the next big update you will just wait and see what KI comes out with like a lot of wizards do.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2011
MADISON461J on Nov 26, 2015 wrote:
Ok peeps

I have been reading all I can about the changes in the Critical system. Knowing that KI only wants the best for its players and paying customers. I am interested in hearing all the positive stuff that has happened since the change.

Peeps: I have made more friends just hanging out now and instead of questing.
Also I was to complete Avalon without dying.

Please lets hear all the positives so KI can see that there decision was a great one.
But what if there aren't much positives to speak of

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I am in support of the new critical system. The old critical system was at it's breaking point with no room to grow particularly when it came to designing balanced PvE content. This new system allows us to continue to grow for at least a few updates at which point the system will need to be updated again. This new system also benefits the casual player far more than a continuation of the old system would have.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
With the new chance in addition to increased level decay this hits the person who does sides even more then before. I'm at the point to me losing the extra critical it's not worth doing sides.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2014
I think they should put it back the way it used to be.... who's with me? comment your name and lets start a thing where we all agree on this...

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
wolfdragonglade on Nov 28, 2015 wrote:
I think they should put it back the way it used to be.... who's with me? comment your name and lets start a thing where we all agree on this...
I am. And for Eric about the part where it helps casual players, it doesn't. They had a chance to block before, but now their gear would give them no chance to either block or critical. Every aspect of this annoying system has a huge negativity.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2010
I agree with all the complaints here. While I see a need for change this is too drastic. I fought several battles in Tyian Gorge against broken stumps. At least 2 of them crit every round and my wizard did not crit once. On top of that my wizard did not block any of them. On minions? This is not right at all. Something has to change here and fast.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 28, 2015 wrote:
I am in support of the new critical system. The old critical system was at it's breaking point with no room to grow particularly when it came to designing balanced PvE content. This new system allows us to continue to grow for at least a few updates at which point the system will need to be updated again. This new system also benefits the casual player far more than a continuation of the old system would have.
Just wondering how does it help the casual player other then the chance of getting a critical through. I have seen a lot more criticals come through to me then ones I cast make it through to them. I was also having more make it through at least on the mobs before. Also how do you grow if you still can get critical or block to 100%?

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
I'd simply like to say I'm sorry you've gotten a lot of complaints, Kingsisle. I actually much prefer the new system and think it is a major improvement. It more efficient, it makes more sense (I don't even know how the heck it worked before), with the new gear it allows higher levels to get more critical or block depending on their class (Ex; I noticed a lot of the new ice stuff has a ton of block.) Everyone is just complaining because they aren't as overpowered as they're used to, but what's the fun of any game if it isn't challenging? I've heard a lot of rumors of w101 losing tons of players because they're upset over these changes. I'm deeply sorry for you and am also sympathetic towards the people who cannot see past their anger to recognize the improvements you've made. I stand by you Kingsisle.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Ok Peeps

Lets talk about the positive changes with the Critical Block and Critical Hits.

I been thinking about this allot lately.
At first i experienced total frustration and disgusted with the changes. ( I had spent allot of time and crowns trying to improve my wizards and pets, making them strong enough so that most quest were marginally difficult). and could be won with the help of marginal players.

Now what I am experiencing is that the players that were marginal in their skills must improve change or move on to other endeavors.

PvE and Pvp are not broken: It's more that we have developed friendships instead of alliances. Therefore expecting that all wizards should be able to quest in any area just because they have reached the require level.

I'm not sure if that is a correct statement or if that is the premise behind the change. I do feel that KI was only giving us a challenge to contend with. However, sometimes having the disappointment makes the completion of a quest more exciting even if its only sort lived.

I do wish there was more clarification on the changes and why they were implemented. Because right now I am reluctant about spending money for improvements of any kind to have things just turned in like a whimsical fashion.

Until the changes I never posted on the sites before. Now I feel it is my duty to try to at least open conversation from a different viewpoint. Hopefully there can be some open dialog from KI as well as other spiral peeps to this matter.

Things that I would ask from KI is:
Please let us fine wizards know of any major updates like the change in critical statuses well in advance. I'm sure this was not a last minute idea or add-on.
Other thought would be some idea of the direction the game is heading and why. ( again not when it happens).

Things sometimes are easier to deal with if there is a logical explanation.
A quote that fits our situation is: " The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, But Building the New," - Socrates

Ok Peeps it is up to us now, with some direction from KI.

If you read please commitment. That goes for the great people that has brought us Wizard 101.

Light it up peeps just like you do where ya quest.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2011
Nordic Champion on Nov 27, 2015 wrote:
Just wanted to say that
A) I am glad to see KI is reading this thread
B) Tuscon Wiz's comments are great and I agree
C) I had to wonder why there are so many wizards who are REALLY mad (at KI) about "all the crowns and work to get gear or to level pets in anticipation of the new world". Whose fault is that? No one told you to spend all that time and effort on pet training or farming gear. You did that yourself. So if you are mad, be mad at yourself for time and money wasted. Maybe before the next big update you will just wait and see what KI comes out with like a lot of wizards do.
But we aren't the ones that changed the critical system and made so many people un happy

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 28, 2015 wrote:
And it also completely breaks 50-68 PvP, arguably the most popular level range PvP is played at. Even though it obviously isn't that important to everyone, it still needs to be taken into consideration.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2014
Polaris is a fun filled world with plenty of new things. The only thing I don't like about it is the new critical system with percentages. In the game many people complain about it and personally I'm not fond of it. I have a critical block of 276. Even with that number I can't block crits from a rank 12 mob. It's almost random. I hope that our percentages could higher with our numbers, or take it out completely. I liked the older system better. I know I'm just another complainer, but I hope you will consider changing the critical system. Other than that. The whole update was fantastic

Michael DrakeHammer - Level 98

Survivor
Jan 15, 2015
May I ask why it's not possible to revert to the old system? It was more reliable to have critical and block calculated together, to know that a block % higher than someone's crit % would guarantee block, and that a crit % higher than a block % had a chance to land.

This update was tolerable for pve since monsters have no enchants, damage, resist, or pierce; and fine for max levels, since large block ratings on gear can fetch a reliable block %, but it's been absolutely devastating to mid level pvp. I lost 2% critical but 5% block--in matches I'd get crit on by people with critical ratings half my block rating. Don't really think this adds anything but chaos. Matches are now decided by who gets the lucky crit first, because our block percentages are shot

At grandmaster and legendary, we have little enough access to block as it is, and the drop in block % has been game-changing. I used block pets to make up for it under the old system, but now they're practically useless. Please, please at the very least increase our block percentages, because critical has overtaken every other stat.

Many of us enjoy pvp, and mid level has always seen high participation. Lots of friends are planning on quitting the game unless block is fixed. Please continue to encourage diversity of builds and fix block, else it'll become a ghost town filled with only critical setups.

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
I do not like the new critical system. Mobs and farming now takes longer. This game is less fun now. A lot of people want to quit because of the new system. It is nearly impossible to block any criticals now.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
e: Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system
Ok peeps

I have been reading all I can about the changes in the Critical system. Knowing that KI only wants the best for its players and paying customers. I am interested in hearing all the positive stuff that has happened since the change.

Listen i'm neither judge nor jury. All I am saying is that I sure there is a reason for the change and I trust and expect that KI supports there customers. Like allot of you I myself have spent allot of money in crowns trying to get stronger.
But look around there are Wizards that are great people that make it into areas because of that. Not because they are skilled wizards. The skilled wizards will always be the best of the best. You know the one that you can count on for that heal for that blade or kill at the right time.
Remember if nothing ever changed there'd be no butterlies.
Love ya all Peeps

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
I feel like I've wasted my time farming Darkmoor for my gear, just to get to level 110 to have less than 30% critical hit or block. I can't even farm Mirror Lake anymore without dying. That doesn't make the game fun. It makes me not want to waste my money on membership or crowns because I feel like its doing no good since I just die. I think some changes needed to be made, because no game can stay the same forever and still be interesting, but I also think this was entirely too drastic.

I feel the same way Amanda and I guess I am not going to buy any more bundles or memberships when the three I paid for run out! This is getting so BULL that I don't even want to play anymore I cant critical I cant block everything I fight criticals and blocks so I am dead in less than three rounds and it is making me so angry its no longer worth the fight I guess I will be taking the bundles I just bought back and I am sorry now I bought 3 year memberships my daughter doesn't care to play anymore, my friend doesn't care to play anymore and now I am to the point I don't want to play anymore. I am really mad I have boughten multiples of the bundles and tons of the 10 and 20 dollar cards and for what? The gear in them is crap and the only things worth anything now is the houses which I guess when my membership, my daughters and my friends run out they will just sit there! I want a refund on all the stuff I paid good money for that was kinda good to start with now its useless!

Fallon the mad Necro

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game.

I am not having fun at this time! I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game trying to get gear that I could at least solo sometimes with but NOW even in a group we all end up dying! The bosses and minions critical way to much and block if we get the one in a million critical, our gear is useless now even the stuff we paid cash for and crowns for I can't say I am happy about this or find it fun! I am very frustrated I can't even solo on my death in low worlds anymore! People used to ask me to come help them not anymore! I have a level 110 Death that is useless and now that I reached 70 on my storm it is useless also it started out good critical a bit then it was like nada! No critical no block and everything the storm is fighting in Avalon criticals and kicks my storms butt! I farmed waterworks for the gear I farmed loremaster I can't farm anymore because not only do I not get as much health but I no longer critical or block! why are the bosses and minions not decayed as much as we are?

Fallon Mad Necromancer

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
Professor Drake on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
Greetings, students. I would like to take some time to comment on the recent adjustments made to the Critical and Block system. As many of you are aware, we made significant changes to the system and how it works. These changes were not made lightly. I want to assure you that we would not have made these changes if we did not feel they were absolutely necessary. With this in mind, the system will not be reverted to the way it was in the past.

If it wasn’t made clear before, this is how the new system works: The attacker will roll to see if they score a Critical Hit. If the attack is a Critical, then the defender will roll to see if they successfully Block the Critical hit. Because this is working differently than how it was calculated before, some of you will notice a change in your chance to score a Critical Hit or Block.

Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game.
"Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game."

Could you please define the following?
"Healthy," because last time I checked, gluttony for punishment was not healthy.

"Players," because from what I've read, the actual players contradict the statement, so who are you talking about?
"Fun," because again, from what I've read from the multiple comments, the players are not having fun, so you probably have a different definition of fun than what normal people see as fun.
Do enlighten us.