Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Friend is currently busy symbol.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
Recently, I've gotten a lot of whispered chat during important battles or just as I'm about to enter PvP by friends who need help. I'd love to help them but I am mostly busy whenever they ask. It's fine for the first day or so, but when it continues for a few days with it happening six or seven times a day, it quickly gets annoying. I was thinking, maybe you guys at KI can add some sort of symbol or color to the friends list to indicate that they're currently busy. I'm thinking a small or a red colored name would do just fine. I'd love to see what you guys, and the community thinks of this!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
If you're busy and don't want to be disturbed, just make yourself hidden to friends. It's in the options and will make you appear to be offline while it's set.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2014
Good idea, except add a way to say that you're busy

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
It'd be nice to have that and a way to manually turn on the Busy sign.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Yes! I really need that. Friends constantly asking for help is at the top of my most annoying things in Wizard101 list.
It gets even more annoying when you see a private message for help the second you log on, and your loading screen finishes. I would like a way to let them know I'm busy instead of having to use the option of hiding from them. When hiding from friends, it does not let me check my friend list so I do not know who's online, and I still want to be able to talk to some. I only have a few friends that ask for my help, so if there is a way to only have the busy symbol up for certain friends, that would be great.

How about when you set up a busy symbol, you are able to type in the reason you are busy, or you can say: "I am not going to help anyone at the moment, but you can still talk to me, or port". When a friend sees the busy symbol, they can also read the message.

The busy symbol is an amazing idea, but there could also be a "free symbol". Some people love to help others, and they get bored a lot so when they put on the free symbol, their friends will know that they are willing to help.

Also, maybe instead of busy symbols, KI could add a "Mood" section to the settings where you can select from a list, what mood you are in. For example: Lazy, helpful, sad, angry, happy, excited, busy... When a friend clicks on your name in their list, it also displays the mood that you are in.

I really hope that KI adds this idea to Wizard101, it is something that we all need.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Its great the game allows players to make themselves hidden from their friends...

...except the OP, and many other individuals simply want an auto-busy symbol that qualifies what they're doing to everyone attempting to contact them without being, or turning invisible; when its not possible to assist them.

Seamless game play isn't for everyone; but for those who love and appreciate this, having an auto-busy symbol is a welcome addition to Wizard 101.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
You know, this is a really nifty thought! I'd like to see this(or something like it) in game some day!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I like the idea but it would almost need to combine notifying them that you're busy with making it impossible for them to bother you. I've noticed that many players feel they are considerably more important than whatever it is you're doing. I don't know how many times I've gotten the "Port to me" whisper and when I notify them that I can't it's followed up by a "Please". Sorry, can't means can't, but when you're dealing with menu chat people it's often impossible to communicate what you're currently doing and why you can't help.
Also, what constitutes "busy"? Busy can mean training a pet, gardening, farming or fighting a boss battle or any number of other activities. There are varying degrees of busy. Are you leaving it up to the game to make the determination of "busy" or do you have to actually prompt the busy response? If you have to prompt it then we already have the "invisible" button which essentially accomplishes the same thing.
I think a lot of this could be alleviated by simply expanding the possible menu chat responses.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2014
TucsonWizard on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
I like the idea but it would almost need to combine notifying them that you're busy with making it impossible for them to bother you. I've noticed that many players feel they are considerably more important than whatever it is you're doing. I don't know how many times I've gotten the "Port to me" whisper and when I notify them that I can't it's followed up by a "Please". Sorry, can't means can't, but when you're dealing with menu chat people it's often impossible to communicate what you're currently doing and why you can't help.
Also, what constitutes "busy"? Busy can mean training a pet, gardening, farming or fighting a boss battle or any number of other activities. There are varying degrees of busy. Are you leaving it up to the game to make the determination of "busy" or do you have to actually prompt the busy response? If you have to prompt it then we already have the "invisible" button which essentially accomplishes the same thing.
I think a lot of this could be alleviated by simply expanding the possible menu chat responses.
What if you are working with a friend and need to port

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Blaze Icehead on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
What if you are working with a friend and need to port
The point he was making is when he's NOT working with them. Some random friend will message, demanding you port to to them NOW. It's usually while you are in the middle of a battle or dungeon. When you say "Sorry, I can't" "I'm busy" they just keep repeating please please please, I'm gonna die, port to me, port to me, port to me. This is the type of reason I stay hidden from friends when I'm solo questing.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
The point he was making is when he's NOT working with them. Some random friend will message, demanding you port to to them NOW. It's usually while you are in the middle of a battle or dungeon. When you say "Sorry, I can't" "I'm busy" they just keep repeating please please please, I'm gonna die, port to me, port to me, port to me. This is the type of reason I stay hidden from friends when I'm solo questing.
Exactly! I don't mind helping people out and I do it a lot but I retain the option of helping on my own terms. Also, there are times when for whatever reason I just don't want to help. I know this might sound cold but there are occasions when I'm in the mood to do nothing specific. Maybe I just want to hang out at the Team-up Kiosk for a while, or go Fishing, or do a little Gardening...and maybe I just forgot to make myself invisible. Menu Chat makes it impossible to say "Oops, I didn't want you to know I was on-line!" I've had instances when calls for help are for the sole purpose of running the Pagoda Gauntlet or Winterbane. Sorry but these aren't emergencies. These are time consuming battles and I reserve the right to refuse the commitment of this much time. Dealing with Menu Chat is frustrating at best so I'll typically ask "What quest are you working on?" One of two things usually happens... either there will be a repeat of "Help!" -or- there will be no response at all. This is usually a dead giveaway that what they wanted was not a life or death situation.
Bottom line - first thing I do when I log in is to make sure I'm invisible...then I can evaluate my mood and go from there.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
TucsonWizard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Exactly! I don't mind helping people out and I do it a lot but I retain the option of helping on my own terms. Also, there are times when for whatever reason I just don't want to help. I know this might sound cold but there are occasions when I'm in the mood to do nothing specific. Maybe I just want to hang out at the Team-up Kiosk for a while, or go Fishing, or do a little Gardening...and maybe I just forgot to make myself invisible. Menu Chat makes it impossible to say "Oops, I didn't want you to know I was on-line!" I've had instances when calls for help are for the sole purpose of running the Pagoda Gauntlet or Winterbane. Sorry but these aren't emergencies. These are time consuming battles and I reserve the right to refuse the commitment of this much time. Dealing with Menu Chat is frustrating at best so I'll typically ask "What quest are you working on?" One of two things usually happens... either there will be a repeat of "Help!" -or- there will be no response at all. This is usually a dead giveaway that what they wanted was not a life or death situation.
Bottom line - first thing I do when I log in is to make sure I'm invisible...then I can evaluate my mood and go from there.
i agree~ busy does not mean questing; maybe i'm working on pets, redecorating my house, or just catching up with a friend i haven't seen in a long time.

while i don't usually mind helping people, there are times when i want to be left alone. and because logging in as invisible isn't an option, people usually see me before i have a chance to hide, and the spamming begins.

to your point about menu chat, i agree that it does need improving. there are so many questions, but no answers to any of them.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Dr Von on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
i agree~ busy does not mean questing; maybe i'm working on pets, redecorating my house, or just catching up with a friend i haven't seen in a long time.

while i don't usually mind helping people, there are times when i want to be left alone. and because logging in as invisible isn't an option, people usually see me before i have a chance to hide, and the spamming begins.

to your point about menu chat, i agree that it does need improving. there are so many questions, but no answers to any of them.

-von
I've gotten in the habit of making sure I'm "invisible" when I log off. Then the next time you log on you'll still be "invisible". To me there's nothing more frustrating (and sometimes downright maddening) than being logged on for less than a minute and getting hit with a "port to me" request. I just got here for Pete's sake! Many times when I log off I'll have plants with needs so I need to take time to satisfy those needs as soon as I log back on. If I have to make a choice - help someone with a quest -or- water my Couch Potatoes, sorry, the spuds are a priority.
On a personal note... Doc, I saw in another post that you'll be sticking around for a while! I'm glad! Your posts are always among the most lucid and sensible on the forum and I always enjoy reading what you have to say.