Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I need pet help.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Ok so I've made a post about pets before but that doesn't matter. I forgot to ask one question. How do you get all your pets talents in their talents slots? I know that it can inherit from the parent and you can get that talent but how do you get the talent that's it's destined to get? Like if you look up phoenix pet it says "pet:phoenix" somewhere, I click on it and it shows talents. I don't understand how I get those? Are there certain types of pet that can only inherit talents and pets that only add up to their destined talents? Please make a clean easy to understand answer. THANKS!

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
The way pets work is that if you have an original strait from an egg it will have a set list of talents of these you can unlock 4 one at each stage of training (these stages are --> teen,adult,ancient,epic) To get these talents you go to the pet pavilion in wizard city and play one of the many games as you progress you get a number of points that varies on how well you played feeding your pet snacks also increases this. After so many points are earned you pet goes to the next stage and gains one of its talents(i.e once you go from baby to teen you get a talent and so on until epic). Depending on how you train it it will be more likely to get a specific talent. If you get your pet through hatching it will get a combination of both parents given talents, the process remains the same. Pets can start hatching once they reach the adult stage so if you dont like their talents you can try again(warning it can get expensive if you are serious about it) Anything that you dont get from my explanation I would suggest you google it

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Each pet has 10 talent slots, and 10 derby slots. When you train up a level -- teen, adult, ancient, epic, mega -- you unlock one of each, but it's chance which ones.. So a mega pet will have 5 active talents and 5 active derby abilities but you won't know which until you train. They have to be from the original pools of 10, but can be any mix of those.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2013
Defender
Dec 16, 2009
All first generation pets will have the same talent pool (but may be manifested differently).
Any pets gotten through hatching will not have their talent pools listed on

I'm guessing you're using Wizard101 Central, so I think people trained these pets, recorded, and listed their talent pools (though not all on the same pet). It's just informational stuff so that you know what your pet may manifest.

Since talents are determined at birth of the pet, you just need to train it to get its destined talents.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
I'm a little confused but I think that you need to get your pets to the highest level to get all of their talents. The highest pet I have is only an adult but I'm pretty sure thats what you need to do.
I hope you figure it out!

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
When you get a brand new pet it has a list of talents (ten possible) and derby talents (also ten possible). This is called the Talent Pool. You can find out what the Talent Pool is for Crowns Pets and for your school quest pets at the wiki.

As you train your pet doing mini-games it will manifest one talent and one derby talent at each stage (the stages are teen, adult, ancient, epic, and mega). these talents show up darker in the list, and they affect the things your pet will do, or help you with. (only manifested talents help, and they only help when the pet is equipped).

So each pet can have up to five manifested talents. (if you train it to mega, it will have five).

When you hatch two pets, the baby that hatches gets its Talent Pool from its parents -- some from each parent. You can't control which talents it gets. BUT it is more likely that a baby will inherit the talents that have manifested in its parents.

In order to hatch a pet, it has to be at least an adult, so each parent will have at least two manifested talents. These are more likely, but not guaranteed, to also show up in the pet you hatch from them.

There is a really fantastic set of explanations on the web written by Sophia Shadowhunter, she really explains how talents transfer through hatching and she has a fantastic (but hard) method she uses to get just the pet she wants. It takes a lot of work and a lot of hatching if you want a certain pet with five certain talents.

I hope this helps, and if I made any mistakes I hope someone will correct this.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2014
I have been looking for information on this topic and can find nothing. I have a nightmare and the talent slots that filled in up to mega level left rare and ultra rare slots unused while filling in the common and uncommon slots. What gives? What do I have to do to fill in all those empty slots? Or are they filled in when you breed 2 Mega Level Pets together?

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Kardashian4ever on Oct 29, 2014 wrote:
I have been looking for information on this topic and can find nothing. I have a nightmare and the talent slots that filled in up to mega level left rare and ultra rare slots unused while filling in the common and uncommon slots. What gives? What do I have to do to fill in all those empty slots? Or are they filled in when you breed 2 Mega Level Pets together?
You cannot ever fill up all of the slots. The entire array of slots represents the traits that might possibly show up in the genetic line of your pet.

At birth, the traits your pet will actually inherit are determined. As you train your pet, you will then find out what traits you actually got.

So out of the whole array of possible traits, by the time you reach mega, you will actually have five traits realized for your pet.

Getting all the particular traits you want for a pet usually takes many generations of hatching parents with the desired traits, until the right ones manifest.

I have found this article very helpful to explain it:
http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/