Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Buying Areas with crowns question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2013
how many crowns would it take to purchase every area in game and how much money is that? thanks

Administrator
All the prices are posted here:
https://www.wizard101.com/game/area-pricing

Whether or not you decide to purchase the side world of Wysteria and the Dungeon Zone of Aquila will impact your total price.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Aug 20, 2008
I don't have the totals for you - if you have a calculator then you can easily go to the page noted by Professor Greyrose and add it up.

Basically, in the very beginning of the game, it made sense to buy zones as opposed to being a subscriber. Buying all of the then-available zones (which was pretty much Wizard City, Krokotopia, Marleybone and Mu Shoo; I'm pretty sure Dragonspyre came in as the first expansion zone) cost less in total than the cost of a one-year subscription and you got access to them forever.

Over time, the game expanded and the current game is getting close to triple the size of the original, if it hasn't already surpassed that amount.

Additionally, KingsIsle made subscriptions more attractive after a couple of years, by giving subscribers special privileges - bigger inventory, free PvP battles, and so on.

The "own the zones" strategy was terribly innovative at the time that KingsIsle launched the game and it's still something unique to this game as far as I know. However, it no longer makes economic sense to buy the game piecemeal. A subscription gives you access to the entire game, gives you a significant boost in inventory space, and if you buy it on the periodic "12 months for $60" special it only costs $5/month. Let's face it -- That's a coffee at Starbuck's, or a pack of Pokemon cards, or a Big Mac and fries. Heck, the Big Mac probably costs more than that.

The only good reason to own the game piecemeal these days is that you're a parent who wants his or her child to earn his game in some fashion and the zone ownership is your reward system. Being philosophically opposed to subscriptions is all fine and dandy but it means that you're hamstringing yourself over a payment that you wouldn't think twice about if it was a X-Box or PS3 game.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
Just because I was curious:

Total Crowns for all zones except Aquila: 114,675

The dollar cost of all of that depends on how you buy your crowns. The more crowns you buy at one time, the less they cost.

Let's say you bought all your crowns during one of the $60/60,000 crowns sales, like they have going right now.

That's an even $1/1000 crowns, which makes the dollar cost a very simple-to-compute $115. I rounded up the leftover cents.

If you pay $10/month for a subscription then you'll spend $120 in a year. So, basically, by spending a year's worth of subscription money, you could buy all of the zones in the game and have them forever without spending any more money.

Is that a great deal? Well, it's a pretty good one if you like to own things instead of "rent" them. It boils down to two considerations.

The first is that monthly subscribers get "quality of life" benefits that crowns players do not get: larger backpack, faster energy regen, faster crafting timers, open chat, free pvp, and so on.

The second is that a yearly subscription actually only costs $60 if you buy it on sale instead of paying by the month. That's two years of premium access instead of forever at "crowns player" access for the same money. Most people would find that the premium access would be a more pleasant experience overall than being a crowns player for the same period of time.

In the end it comes down to what you want from the game. You can own it and play with a handicap, or subscribe and have all the benefits but lose access when you stop subscribing. As someone who started out buying zones for crowns, I can say that these days I prefer to be an annual subscriber. It's just more fun to play that way than as a crowns player.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Slickriptide on Sep 19, 2013 wrote:
Just because I was curious:

Total Crowns for all zones except Aquila: 114,675

The dollar cost of all of that depends on how you buy your crowns. The more crowns you buy at one time, the less they cost.

Let's say you bought all your crowns during one of the $60/60,000 crowns sales, like they have going right now.

That's an even $1/1000 crowns, which makes the dollar cost a very simple-to-compute $115. I rounded up the leftover cents.

If you pay $10/month for a subscription then you'll spend $120 in a year. So, basically, by spending a year's worth of subscription money, you could buy all of the zones in the game and have them forever without spending any more money.

Is that a great deal? Well, it's a pretty good one if you like to own things instead of "rent" them. It boils down to two considerations.

The first is that monthly subscribers get "quality of life" benefits that crowns players do not get: larger backpack, faster energy regen, faster crafting timers, open chat, free pvp, and so on.

The second is that a yearly subscription actually only costs $60 if you buy it on sale instead of paying by the month. That's two years of premium access instead of forever at "crowns player" access for the same money. Most people would find that the premium access would be a more pleasant experience overall than being a crowns player for the same period of time.

In the end it comes down to what you want from the game. You can own it and play with a handicap, or subscribe and have all the benefits but lose access when you stop subscribing. As someone who started out buying zones for crowns, I can say that these days I prefer to be an annual subscriber. It's just more fun to play that way than as a crowns player.
Thank you So much Slickriptide . I have always wondered if I made the right choice to subscribe or not. I have had a subscription from the first year so, yea crowns would have paid for it all by now but I do love the sub perks. Plus they consider you a 'Free to Play Player' which I resent as there is nothing free about it. I tried doing it the crowns way on Pirate up to Mooshu but I got the bug to want to start posting on the message boards and in spite of several email requests, they did not allow crowns players to post. So I just had to let the loss go and switched to subscription. About a month or so later they switched it and now crowns players Can post. x Rolls eyes x lol, figures
But, I digress....Thanks so much for easing my mind. Two years worth of sub for the perks I guess is doable. Now 10 more years down the road I may be kicking myself for this, but who knows lol.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2011
Vincent36590 on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
how many crowns would it take to purchase every area in game and how much money is that? thanks
The WHOLE game is 124,410 crowns, but that is including Aquila and Grizzleheim which are both optional worlds. I did the math and i only need 57,000 more crowns to buy out the whole game. All of the prices are listed here: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Area_Pricing . I recommend using crowns instead of a membership if you first, have the money for it, and second believe that you will be playing the game for a massive amount of time. If you decide to buy the game with crowns I recommend buying online because the deals are much better and you can double the amount of crowns you get compared to gift cards. I have never bought crowns online sadly and I regret it because I would have the whole game bought out by now. Hope this helps.

-Trevor Lvl 90