Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Useful furniture

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 13, 2015
I would like to see an enhancement to the furniture - the ability to sit on chairs or rugs or couches for example. Furniture right now is pretty much just decoration and it's a little frustrating to have a cool chair and not be able to sit on it.

I'd also like to see the ability to click on a fire place and light a fire. or open and close doors and windows.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
Geoffery23 on Feb 7, 2016 wrote:
I would like to see an enhancement to the furniture - the ability to sit on chairs or rugs or couches for example. Furniture right now is pretty much just decoration and it's a little frustrating to have a cool chair and not be able to sit on it.

I'd also like to see the ability to click on a fire place and light a fire. or open and close doors and windows.
I agree that these are good ideas. Sitting on furniture ought to be programmable as a kind of "stationary mount", perhaps. Probably restrict its use to indoors only (where mounts are inactive), so there's no confusion between actual mounts and furniture.

Fire in a fireplace ought to be trivial, as we have so many other similar interactions with housing items, whether they be bobbleheads or confetti cannons. A simple "X" function.

Not quite sure about doors and windows, though it would certainly be an interesting enhancement. Indoors and outdoors are currently separate "areas" of each housing item. As such, no programming is necessary to show what is going on outside from the inside or vice versa. With fully-functioning windows and doors, you would have to be able to see all furniture, gardening, etc., not to mention visitors, as if the housing item were a single area instead of two separate ones. Otherwise, to see a non-representative, "default" view of the outdoors would be kind of pointless, unless it is a view to an area that is otherwise not customizable - e.g. a view of the stars or a waterfall or something.

Ultimately, it would probably be a major overhaul to take existing housing items, with their two distinct areas, and modify them to be single areas, while also maintaining the existing limit on housing items allowed.

Definitely like your "mount"able furniture idea, though. :-)

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
Regarding your second point, there are already doors that open and close as you walk through them from castle blocks. Also for each different world in the furniture packs there is a fireplace that you interact with to turn on as well as sinks and washbasins to interact with.

Moira Stormheart

Survivor
Jan 13, 2015
Moira Stormheart on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
Regarding your second point, there are already doors that open and close as you walk through them from castle blocks. Also for each different world in the furniture packs there is a fireplace that you interact with to turn on as well as sinks and washbasins to interact with.

Moira Stormheart
And you can't put those doors over the door, or into the doorway, of a house that wasn't made with blocks. Those doors are only useful for houses made of blocks. But stuff like the botanical gardens house, ice school house, sultan's palace and so on, can't use those.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Geoffery23 on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
And you can't put those doors over the door, or into the doorway, of a house that wasn't made with blocks. Those doors are only useful for houses made of blocks. But stuff like the botanical gardens house, ice school house, sultan's palace and so on, can't use those.
Actually castle blocks can be used in any home (they just look out of place) I do think it would be nice if they added more castle blocks that blend in more smoothly than the ones we currently have and maybe even make doors that fit the utterly massive doorways most houses have so we dont have to add wall around it.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Discord Spiders on Feb 12, 2016 wrote:
Actually castle blocks can be used in any home (they just look out of place) I do think it would be nice if they added more castle blocks that blend in more smoothly than the ones we currently have and maybe even make doors that fit the utterly massive doorways most houses have so we dont have to add wall around it.
Castle blocks can be used in a house, yes. However, try taking a castle block with a door that opens into your house and fitting it neatly into a doorway. Did it work? Did it look good and like it belongs to the house? i'm betting no, and no.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I need help understanding the need to sit down. This seems like an immense amount of programming to allow for something that is of little use other than for aesthetic purposes. (I still don't get the reasoning behind running water in the sinks... it's cool I guess but it's kinda goofy too if you think about it) But I'm rambling...anyway, maybe people use their homes differently than I do which is basically as a series of storage and gardening areas. I decorate only to make use of whatever items I get via drops or packs but I rarely hang around very long. If I'm there for an extended period of time it's because I'm gardening or juggling inventory, and in all of the times I've done that I don't ever remember my feet aching from being on them too long. Besides, I can't reach my Bank from the couch anyway.