Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rude higher level players make us all look bad

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I have been farming the WC and Mooshu telegraph boxes for sonic springs. Earlier this evening, I began using the "team up" function, thinking that I could help lower level players while farming. During my last run for the night, a player named Sean was on the team. He was decked out in his Waterworks gear, and dashed ahead to be first in every battle. When he arrived in his sigil, he didn't wait for the others in the team to join; he just cast tempest. Towards the end, I told him he was being rude, and he needed to wait for the lower level players to join. He verbally attacked me, and began insulting the other team members, writing something to the effect of "oh like their imp spells are going to kill."

As a promethean, it bothers me to see higher level players being mean or rude to lower level players. We were all level 1, or 5, or 10 once, struggling to beat Lord Nightshade, or trying to collect knives from magma men. We all stood in Ambrose's office as he sent us off to Unicorn Way. Yet it seems many players forget that when they achieve higher levels, and it makes all of us look bad.

I enjoy helping lower level players. Casting a tower shield, or a sprite, or perhaps a sharpened blade, helps them, and lets them know there are higher level players out there, willing to lend a hand. Players like Sean, who enjoy attacking other players, belittling and insulting them, make the game less enjoyable for everyone.

If you're going for your team up badge by battling in low-level dungeons like Stormdrain, or Ironworks, be kind. It takes so little effort just to shield a lower level player, or type "Good job," or "Nice spell." Never forget-we were all new once, and think how it might have made you feel, meeting a higher level player, only to have that player insult you, or call you names. Have a little empathy. Yes, this is just a game, but behind every little cartoon wizard is a real person, with real feelings. It would behoove us to remember that.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Snee432 on Jul 19, 2015 wrote:
I have been farming the WC and Mooshu telegraph boxes for sonic springs. Earlier this evening, I began using the "team up" function, thinking that I could help lower level players while farming. During my last run for the night, a player named Sean was on the team. He was decked out in his Waterworks gear, and dashed ahead to be first in every battle. When he arrived in his sigil, he didn't wait for the others in the team to join; he just cast tempest. Towards the end, I told him he was being rude, and he needed to wait for the lower level players to join. He verbally attacked me, and began insulting the other team members, writing something to the effect of "oh like their imp spells are going to kill."

As a promethean, it bothers me to see higher level players being mean or rude to lower level players. We were all level 1, or 5, or 10 once, struggling to beat Lord Nightshade, or trying to collect knives from magma men. We all stood in Ambrose's office as he sent us off to Unicorn Way. Yet it seems many players forget that when they achieve higher levels, and it makes all of us look bad.

I enjoy helping lower level players. Casting a tower shield, or a sprite, or perhaps a sharpened blade, helps them, and lets them know there are higher level players out there, willing to lend a hand. Players like Sean, who enjoy attacking other players, belittling and insulting them, make the game less enjoyable for everyone.

If you're going for your team up badge by battling in low-level dungeons like Stormdrain, or Ironworks, be kind. It takes so little effort just to shield a lower level player, or type "Good job," or "Nice spell." Never forget-we were all new once, and think how it might have made you feel, meeting a higher level player, only to have that player insult you, or call you names. Have a little empathy. Yes, this is just a game, but behind every little cartoon wizard is a real person, with real feelings. It would behoove us to remember that.
erin, we have agreed on many things in the past, and i am on your side yet again.

i recently became a member again, and i spent most of today doing a few quests on my grandmaster myth/ice duo. there were situations in which higher-level wizards would join my duels and say things like "pass, i'm stronger, blah blah"; i proceeded to ignore them and simply went with my original game-plan.

i have 12 characters across 2 main accounts (and several f2ps), of various schools and levels, and i insist on being treated with respect, regardless of which character i'm playing. no one tells me how to play, and i'm not afraid to put obnoxious players (especially my fellow centenarians) in their places.

someone recently got snippy with me during the last battle in darkmoor, giving orders and calling people weak, etc.; so i told him that i would port out if he kept it up. and~ given the sheer length of the instance, plus the fact that i was the only thing between him and death by malistaire, he changed his tune immediately. and, had he persisted, i would have delivered on my promise~ the well-being of my team takes priority over my drop chances.

now, imagine if, in the same position, it had been a 10 year-old child, or someone with a health condition that's directly impacted by hostile social situations? all i will say is that it would have ended quite differently, perhaps with tragic consequences.

please consider this before you belittle or attack someone, and always remember that there is a person behind the pixels.

-von

exalted
arch
grand
magus
journeyman
initiate
apprentice
novice

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Dr Von on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
erin, we have agreed on many things in the past, and i am on your side yet again.

i recently became a member again, and i spent most of today doing a few quests on my grandmaster myth/ice duo. there were situations in which higher-level wizards would join my duels and say things like "pass, i'm stronger, blah blah"; i proceeded to ignore them and simply went with my original game-plan.

i have 12 characters across 2 main accounts (and several f2ps), of various schools and levels, and i insist on being treated with respect, regardless of which character i'm playing. no one tells me how to play, and i'm not afraid to put obnoxious players (especially my fellow centenarians) in their places.

someone recently got snippy with me during the last battle in darkmoor, giving orders and calling people weak, etc.; so i told him that i would port out if he kept it up. and~ given the sheer length of the instance, plus the fact that i was the only thing between him and death by malistaire, he changed his tune immediately. and, had he persisted, i would have delivered on my promise~ the well-being of my team takes priority over my drop chances.

now, imagine if, in the same position, it had been a 10 year-old child, or someone with a health condition that's directly impacted by hostile social situations? all i will say is that it would have ended quite differently, perhaps with tragic consequences.

please consider this before you belittle or attack someone, and always remember that there is a person behind the pixels.

-von

exalted
arch
grand
magus
journeyman
initiate
apprentice
novice
"now, imagine if, in the same position, it had been a 10 year-old child, or someone with a health condition that's directly impacted by hostile social situations? all i will say is that it would have ended quite differently, perhaps with tragic consequences."

Bingo. Von, someday I hope to bump into you in the Spiral. If there was a hug emote, you would be on the receiving end of a huge hug.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I disagree.Rudeness is not something exclusive to level disparity. Sadly, I see it at all levels and corners of the spiral.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
Mostly i here it from storms that are lower level that have better stats or same level and have better attack you may get made more fun of if your myth i think. i not trying to be rude there by any means after all i am myth
that's what i had to deal with reaching max

Alia DreamSmith max

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Snee432 on Jul 19, 2015 wrote:

Snee, I couldn't agree more. I really enjoy taking my Promethean wizards through some of the lower level dungeons. It gives me a chance to break out some of those one and two pip spells that sometimes get shelved when you get to higher levels. I too enjoy helping others and when I do this I fully expect to get teamed with lower levels who are working on their quests and like you said, we were all there once. There's never an excuse for rudeness. There's a fine line between offering suggestions and giving orders and seasoned players who are confident in their abilities can usually work around other people's strategies without getting upset that someone else's play style does not mesh with theirs. I keep a notebook next to my computer and I keep track of rude players. The old saying, "what goes around, comes around" is so true. There have been times when I've been teamed-up a second time with someone on my "list" and the opportunity has arisen to return their rudeness in kind. There's a certain degree of satisfaction one gets from a little harmless payback especially when you can remind them why it's happening.
The Team-Up Kiosk is one of the best things added to the game since I've been playing. It affords all players the chance to complete difficult areas with some higher level assistance. Unfortunately, with that comes the possibility that the "high and mighty" might want to strut their stuff. There are simply those among us who feel they need to demonstrate their superiority when they get teamed with "noobs". The best thing you can do is ignore them. Words are just words... "sticks and stones" ... and if those words are meant to be hurtful then shame on them. Remember, offense is taken, not given, and the words are only hurtful if you allow them to be. Just consider the source and move on.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
I don't thinks it's the fact that they're higher level than you I just believe there mean no matter what but other than that I completely agree with Von, what if there's a kid who more sensitive then others.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2009
Intrepidatius on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
I disagree.Rudeness is not something exclusive to level disparity. Sadly, I see it at all levels and corners of the spiral.
This ^^^

It's not because they're a higher level, I've met players of all levels who are rude and unkind. You'll always meet people like that.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Wouldn't it be fantastic if everyone acted, behaved, and played the same way...

...unfortunately, this isn't how people are in real life; or in this cool, fun game.

So while its awesome when we get to team with like-minded players, when this doesn't happen, let's explore our options:
  • We can attempt to be flexible and adapt to another player's gaming style
    Sometimes changing our playing style brings us greater success
  • Say something
    They might not be aware their playing style is counter productive for you and the team
  • Ask them to leave
    Sometimes letting a person move on lets your team complete the task at hand
  • Choose to leave and regroup with team-friendlier players
    Sometimes the current team set-up doesn't allow success; and regrouping is the best option
  • Cross our arms, shake our fist in the air, hold our breath until we pass out, stamp out feet, throw a temper tantrum, scream, etc...
    Not the most effective ways to elicit the change you seek
  • Imagine coming up with something completely different that successfully resolves this issue
    Here's your chance to flex your creative muscles!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Snee432 on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
"now, imagine if, in the same position, it had been a 10 year-old child, or someone with a health condition that's directly impacted by hostile social situations? all i will say is that it would have ended quite differently, perhaps with tragic consequences."

Bingo. Von, someday I hope to bump into you in the Spiral. If there was a hug emote, you would be on the receiving end of a huge hug.
huge hugs right back atcha~ i've met some of my dearest friends on these very boards, and i very much hope that our paths cross someday.

intrepidatius has a good point, and i agree that rudeness is not restricted to a particular school or level. however, it is true that great power and great responsibility go hand-in-hand, and it's quite easy for someone with uber-pets and max-level elite gear to forget their humble beginnings.

when i run around in lower-level instances, as i sometimes do (i can usually be found in dragonspyre, just chillin' with my homeboy malistaire), i don't pack any hits; it's strictly support for me, and i will put in various blades, shields, and heals for the little wizards, depending on the schools/levels that are in there with me. it's a fun and relaxing break from castle dread-more for me, and questing is less stressful for them~ everyone wins.

to tucsonwizard's point, i agree that no one has any power over you unless you give it to them. that said, children and sensitive people may not know or be assertive enough to insist that they be respected; those are the people we need to protect, and i love that the boards have given me a chance to stand up for people who are too young, shy, or afraid to stand up for themselves.

nothing beats watching a bully get his just desserts, and i get my payback in some interesting ways. i've had teammates in darkmoor that (after a friendly warning) i will refuse to heal because they've insulted someone on the team or tried to order me around, and it's fun to watch them grovel when they realize that i'm the only thing keeping them alive.

i didn't always have 3 max-level wizards. i started off at level 1 and slogged my way to the upper tiers, just like everyone else. i've learned a lot along the way, but i did that by making mistakes... learning is continuous, and i implore all of my fellow centenarians to respect even the littlest wizard; we were all there once.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Dr Von on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
huge hugs right back atcha~ i've met some of my dearest friends on these very boards, and i very much hope that our paths cross someday.

intrepidatius has a good point, and i agree that rudeness is not restricted to a particular school or level. however, it is true that great power and great responsibility go hand-in-hand, and it's quite easy for someone with uber-pets and max-level elite gear to forget their humble beginnings.

when i run around in lower-level instances, as i sometimes do (i can usually be found in dragonspyre, just chillin' with my homeboy malistaire), i don't pack any hits; it's strictly support for me, and i will put in various blades, shields, and heals for the little wizards, depending on the schools/levels that are in there with me. it's a fun and relaxing break from castle dread-more for me, and questing is less stressful for them~ everyone wins.

to tucsonwizard's point, i agree that no one has any power over you unless you give it to them. that said, children and sensitive people may not know or be assertive enough to insist that they be respected; those are the people we need to protect, and i love that the boards have given me a chance to stand up for people who are too young, shy, or afraid to stand up for themselves.

nothing beats watching a bully get his just desserts, and i get my payback in some interesting ways. i've had teammates in darkmoor that (after a friendly warning) i will refuse to heal because they've insulted someone on the team or tried to order me around, and it's fun to watch them grovel when they realize that i'm the only thing keeping them alive.

i didn't always have 3 max-level wizards. i started off at level 1 and slogged my way to the upper tiers, just like everyone else. i've learned a lot along the way, but i did that by making mistakes... learning is continuous, and i implore all of my fellow centenarians to respect even the littlest wizard; we were all there once.

-von
Doc, I literally chuckled aloud when I read about your groveling teammate! And that's what I meant when I mentioned the certain degree of satisfaction that's derived from a little payback. It's especially sweet if you can humble them in front of the very people they've disrespected. I agree that there may be situations where those that are the victims of bullying are inexperienced, at both the game and life, and because of that they fall right into the bully's trap. Hopefully, because of the actions of the people who stand up for them, they'll see past the rudeness and continue playing the game. Sad to think that some of them don't ever meet the "good guys" and quit after the first day because they get the impression that the game is full of bullies... and that is a shame.

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
I definitely agree with you! It's rude when a level 90 or so calls a level 30 weak! I mean yes, they might not be as strong, but it'd be nice to give support as a more advanced player. You should help rather then criticize. Once I was farming Waterworks with a group and there was this one guy who had a maxed out character ( so we did know more of the ropes I guess..) but whenever i'd attack ( about 1,300 ) he'd tell me "So weak". He'd also keep giving me orders and telling me to just do nothing. Since i'm kinda passive aggressive at times, I decided to just leave cause this wasn't helping at all. Thank you though for pointing this out! :)

P.S. I know that my attacks were weak, but it's still not kind to call someone a weakling or a newbie.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
Doc, I literally chuckled aloud when I read about your groveling teammate! And that's what I meant when I mentioned the certain degree of satisfaction that's derived from a little payback. It's especially sweet if you can humble them in front of the very people they've disrespected. I agree that there may be situations where those that are the victims of bullying are inexperienced, at both the game and life, and because of that they fall right into the bully's trap. Hopefully, because of the actions of the people who stand up for them, they'll see past the rudeness and continue playing the game. Sad to think that some of them don't ever meet the "good guys" and quit after the first day because they get the impression that the game is full of bullies... and that is a shame.
ah yes, revenge is a dish best served alongside a massive helping of humble pie...

(bonus points for sneaking some fish-paste into said pie when no one is looking; i totally would.)

i do pity those who never get to enjoy the full experience; given the hard-edged, competitive nature of the game these days, if i were joining as a newbie now, i probably would have been gone after a few days. some people (both in-game and on these boards) can be hostile, which doesn't exactly feel welcoming.

but, as you said, tucsonwizard, i hope they stick around. we nice people are everywhere, and we'll be more than glad to lend a (n availing) hand, if and when the opportunity arises.

-von

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
Dr Von on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
ah yes, revenge is a dish best served alongside a massive helping of humble pie...

(bonus points for sneaking some fish-paste into said pie when no one is looking; i totally would.)

i do pity those who never get to enjoy the full experience; given the hard-edged, competitive nature of the game these days, if i were joining as a newbie now, i probably would have been gone after a few days. some people (both in-game and on these boards) can be hostile, which doesn't exactly feel welcoming.

but, as you said, tucsonwizard, i hope they stick around. we nice people are everywhere, and we'll be more than glad to lend a (n availing) hand, if and when the opportunity arises.

-von
Definitely Dr. Von! I agreed with all of your posts before and I agree with this one too.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2011
I agree, players in all level ranges are performing an act such as cyber bulling, whether its posting something personal online or just being plain rude can be considered bullying.I remember all the struggles I had when I was leveling up, and people were rude. Nowadays, it can get worse and worse.As a transcendent, I have seen a lot of this occur everywhere and to everyone, even towards me ( especially in duels).This game is meant to be fun for everyone, and these "cyber-bullies" are making the entire game look bad.