Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pvp should never have existed.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 13, 2014 wrote:
yes because taking 5-10 minutes out of my morning to post a reply says I can spend hours thinking of a new piece of content for the game./sarcasm

seriously? because I take a few minutes out of my day to post a reply you assume I could sit here for a long time and create a new idea like that? I think you need to stop assuming something about my life which you don't know about.

honestly you sound like a ridiculous broken record. "If you don't like it don't play it blah blah blah..."
I think you willfully ignore everything I have stated in regards to this topic. you say "don't go", but when you finish everything else. what is there left? wandering through areas you've been in countless times before? going inactive and waiting money every month because there is nothing left?

if you can answer me that with a honest to goodness useful and well thought out answer, then maybe this conversation will go somewhere other than in circles
It does not have to take hours of one day to think of an idea. You can spend 10 minutes each day thinking of it and building on that idea each day. How about you tell me HOW I was not listening to what you have to say. Did I not say that I KNEW that your point was that pvp brings out the worst in everyone? Did I not say that I KNEW that people are made fun of because of their rank? You are so focused on making a pointless argument with me that you don't even bother to read and comprehend what I have to say. If you don't feel like using 10 minutes each day to come up with a new idea for the game then my best answer for you is stay out of the arena and do whatever may please you (if anything at all). Your point in this post is to tell me that you are bored and have nothing to do. My response is to come up with new ideas for the game and if you are to lazy to, I don't know how to help. Removing pvp won't make you any less bored so that's not a good idea for satisfying your needs in this game.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2014
I agree with some, disagree with others. What I have found in pvp is mixed results. I have 26 friends (I an fairly new) of those friends, about 17 have come from the arena. 4 of those 17 are warlords. They have even helped me and "taken me under their wing", as they say. They have been teaching me their tactics, helping me with quests, which spells I should/should not use. Let wi even helped me finish Sunken City, and it took a total of 2.5 hours to do. Lots of time thy put out to help me.

When I first saw this topic, I told them about it. Their response? Apparently other Warlords heckle other Warlords. Yes, I have had some bad experiences with pvp too. Yet the other day I was fighting Kraken, and a guy was making fun of a novice- yet the guy was not a Warlord. You act like it is purely the Warlords that cause problems. The other day I was playing Minecraft. Guess what? People where being made fun of. My point? Wherever you go, whatever games you play, you will find rude people. Punishing everyone for the mistakes of some isnt the answer.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
~Well, PvP has a large number of people who chose to participate. Many many people have read your post and named at least a dozen other optional activities, which you choose not to participate in, That's fine. What's wrong is generalizing a large demographic with a small one.
~When i go into fights, I often run into people that don't blade and hit and use less tactical strategies and even go afk. They tend to get upset when you suggest something politely and have really bad grammar. They rage, and get frustrated when they die against mobs, So as a general idea i think we should remove monsters and the main story line. You level up by winning in PvP, and gear costs arena tickets.
~The above, is a very wrong opinion based on a small minority of players. Its wrong because it generalizes everyone based on a small few that have a negative point of view. The truth here is, its a small amount of frustrated players who need tips and help, But don't know how / Struggle achieving their goals.
~PvP is a great feature, one of many to do after you finish the main quest lines. Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples. Kings Isle gave us a tool to take care of these: Report, for breaking the Terms of Use, And the ignore button. The lack of use of these features falls upon the community, not the system.
As for being rude, Its not against the Terms of Use, Your best off using the ignore button for this.
~Have you thought about this being a family game? You stated your upset that you're in a more hardcore part of the game, The game was built to accommodate EVERYONE. From the casual young kids, to the extreme Hardcore Teenagers, and even the adults. Everyone has a spot, to fit in.
I'd like to leave you with a few tips. I would recommend checking out a few websites on this list, The tips may make the experience more enjoyable if you continue to feel compelled to play in PvP. , I may recommend the fan sites such as Wizard101Central, And duelist101.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Dr Von on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Since some people seem to have misunderstood my post, allow me to clarify:

Not once did I say that PvP should be removed; some people like it, others don't, and that's fine. I simply questioned why KI permits such poor behaviour.

Although I'm aware that PvP itself is not what turns people into jerks, I also feel that not enough is being done to prevent people from lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that.

I think that, if KI made a few changes, a lot of the problems would disappear. For example, if friends who ported in to watch a duel were automatically "muted" from the minute they entered the arena until the minute they left, that would stop the jeering and taunting that I know goes on in there.

I'm a big girl; I can take whatever lame "insults" people throw my way, but what if the person on the receiving end of those barbs is a 10-year-old kid? What if the person you just called "a sad fat dragon with no friends" is someone with autism, anxiety, or a heart condition?

All I ask is that KI take a more-active role in protecting the people behind the pixels.

-von
Above I noted that Dr. Von stated "lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that."

The Rules of conduct state the following:

(12) “stalk,” abuse or harass another user, or attempt to do any of the foregoing;

or (13) engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or
enjoyment of the Site,...

I would question where the gray line is between that being a reportable Offense and not being
a reportable offense. I guess I am seeing that as a reportable Offense..... ?

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Lord Shadow on May 15, 2014 wrote:
I agree with some, disagree with others. What I have found in pvp is mixed results. I have 26 friends (I an fairly new) of those friends, about 17 have come from the arena. 4 of those 17 are warlords. They have even helped me and "taken me under their wing", as they say. They have been teaching me their tactics, helping me with quests, which spells I should/should not use. Let wi even helped me finish Sunken City, and it took a total of 2.5 hours to do. Lots of time thy put out to help me.

When I first saw this topic, I told them about it. Their response? Apparently other Warlords heckle other Warlords. Yes, I have had some bad experiences with pvp too. Yet the other day I was fighting Kraken, and a guy was making fun of a novice- yet the guy was not a Warlord. You act like it is purely the Warlords that cause problems. The other day I was playing Minecraft. Guess what? People where being made fun of. My point? Wherever you go, whatever games you play, you will find rude people. Punishing everyone for the mistakes of some isnt the answer.
Ty so much for saying that. That was exactly what I was trying to get across.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2014
Ok, you want to take out PvP. You are also complaining that there is nothing to do after you are done questing. Obviously these two counter-act with each other PvP is a thing that many end game characters do because they can't quest since they beat the game. PvP is also completely optional. If you don't want to play it you don't have too. "Then what else am I going to do?" You are going to remove PvP or attempt to, and I don't think KI will change PvP any time soon. By removing it its not there, so you are going to have bored high leveled players since you couldn't play PvP. If you don't like Pvp don't do it. If you hate it that much, then you might need a different game.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2014
And yes I do agree it needs to be tweaked, not removed.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2012
if you don't like pvp don't do it.

problem solved.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
Dr Von on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Samuel said: why should I have to feel terrible in a family friendly game? why should I have kids acting horribly towards me because I didn't decide to waste my life grinding to warlord as a magus spellcaster?

This is a valid point.Why would a family game not only permit, but encourage, kids to make their peers feel bad about themselves? Encouraging healthy competition is just as easy as encouraging pettiness and terrible attitudes; stop placing PvP'ers on a pedestal, and that's half the problem solved.

I hate crafting and gardening almost as much as I hate PvP, so I use the opportunity to work on my other wizards.

I hate sore losers, but sore winners are ten times worse: they gloat, they bring friends in to taunt from the sidelines, and are just generally unpleasant to be around. And, the higher the wizard's rank, the more massively inflated his (or her) ego is; there is nothing fun about it, and I'd gladly avail myself of that toxic sludge pit if Khrysalis weren't such a soul-sucking piece of work. But I digress.

-von
exalted
magus veteran
"But I digress". LOL

Bladed Seraph

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
KOblivion on May 15, 2014 wrote:
~Well, PvP has a large number of people who chose to participate. Many many people have read your post and named at least a dozen other optional activities, which you choose not to participate in, That's fine. What's wrong is generalizing a large demographic with a small one.
~When i go into fights, I often run into people that don't blade and hit and use less tactical strategies and even go afk. They tend to get upset when you suggest something politely and have really bad grammar. They rage, and get frustrated when they die against mobs, So as a general idea i think we should remove monsters and the main story line. You level up by winning in PvP, and gear costs arena tickets.
~The above, is a very wrong opinion based on a small minority of players. Its wrong because it generalizes everyone based on a small few that have a negative point of view. The truth here is, its a small amount of frustrated players who need tips and help, But don't know how / Struggle achieving their goals.
~PvP is a great feature, one of many to do after you finish the main quest lines. Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples. Kings Isle gave us a tool to take care of these: Report, for breaking the Terms of Use, And the ignore button. The lack of use of these features falls upon the community, not the system.
As for being rude, Its not against the Terms of Use, Your best off using the ignore button for this.
~Have you thought about this being a family game? You stated your upset that you're in a more hardcore part of the game, The game was built to accommodate EVERYONE. From the casual young kids, to the extreme Hardcore Teenagers, and even the adults. Everyone has a spot, to fit in.
I'd like to leave you with a few tips. I would recommend checking out a few websites on this list, The tips may make the experience more enjoyable if you continue to feel compelled to play in PvP. , I may recommend the fan sites such as Wizard101Central, And duelist101.
This is very well said.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2014
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I am honestly sick of this. no matter what character I use, no matter what gear I have, no matter what level I am. I always get set against war lords, knights, or max level characters and I am sick of it.

wizard101 should never have added a player versus player aspect to this game because it kills the "family friendly game" they put out there. PvP brings out the worst it everyone. I know people should be competitive, but this was the wrong way of doing it. I am tired of feeling like a complete failure because I am not good at PVP and I am tired of being made fun for it.

why should I have to feel terrible in a family friendly game? why should I have kids acting horribly towards me because I didn't decide to waste my life grinding to warlord as a magus spellcaster?

pvp needs to simply be taken out of game. I don't care if it's "Optional" content. it isn't optional when you are a max level wizard who has finished everything in the game. what am I supposed to do? just quit and let my membership run out until KI decides to add another world to the game? great that is SUCH a good use of my money. wasting hundreds of dollars on a game that I play until I catch up to the present and then I am stuck because I hate pvp and what it does to people.

I am a max level wizard for goodness sake. why should I be forced to put up with a bunch of arrogant players because you couldn't think of something more creative than pitting players against each other in an unfair match up.
You can't just throw PvP out, there is a number of reasons why. 1. All the hard work people have put in to make their char warlord or whatever(like me for example) 2. Crown players, all the players that have spent crowns for regular PvP matches, that would have just been a waste. 3. Tournaments, people have put LOADS of crowns into tourneys, again, another waste of crowns for people who do tourneys. 4. Some people think it's fun, so it wouldn't be fair that they get have that taken out cause you don't like it. 5. Arrogant players, yes, a lot of PvP warlords, commanders, ect are arrogant and rude just cause of their rank, but not all of them are(I'm not) 6. Facing unfair ranks, yes, you will play against unfair people that are a higher rank, so be it, if you don't like it, don't do PvP, if you do like it a lot, swtich up your strategy till you get something you are decent with, critical is a HUGE thing right now, maybe get gear with some block, just different stuff, you gotta find something that works well with you. I'm sure I will think of other reasons after I post this but here are some reason why PvP can't be simply taken out of this game, have a nice day
Blake DeathCaller 97
Jacob StormCloud 67
Christo WinterBreeze 2

Survivor
Feb 20, 2012
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I am honestly sick of this. no matter what character I use, no matter what gear I have, no matter what level I am. I always get set against war lords, knights, or max level characters and I am sick of it.

wizard101 should never have added a player versus player aspect to this game because it kills the "family friendly game" they put out there. PvP brings out the worst it everyone. I know people should be competitive, but this was the wrong way of doing it. I am tired of feeling like a complete failure because I am not good at PVP and I am tired of being made fun for it.

why should I have to feel terrible in a family friendly game? why should I have kids acting horribly towards me because I didn't decide to waste my life grinding to warlord as a magus spellcaster?

pvp needs to simply be taken out of game. I don't care if it's "Optional" content. it isn't optional when you are a max level wizard who has finished everything in the game. what am I supposed to do? just quit and let my membership run out until KI decides to add another world to the game? great that is SUCH a good use of my money. wasting hundreds of dollars on a game that I play until I catch up to the present and then I am stuck because I hate pvp and what it does to people.

I am a max level wizard for goodness sake. why should I be forced to put up with a bunch of arrogant players because you couldn't think of something more creative than pitting players against each other in an unfair match up.
I dont think they should remove pvp I love pvp cause say i got a new spell for my deck easiest way to test it is to do pvp so you can know if its best for your deck or you'll need another card

James ShadowBlade 25

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
It's a given, having certain gear, pets, treasure cards and strategies allow you to win more in PVP. But truth be told; not everyone's going to win or be good at pvp.

I personally believe, you put on your big wizard pants; and bring anything and everything to win your pvp match. I win some matches; while losing other ones. And while I may not have the best gear today, everytime I pvp; I learn something new and improve along the way.

Thankfully, there are pvp tournaments that allow participants to compete without amulets, pets and treasure cards. Some players don't have crowns to access tournaments, and why I believe regular pvp matches should allow players to enable/disable match filters too.

Its a win-win having players create a pvp match with control filters; because hardcore players get to set filters without limitations; while players not so hardcore get to create pvp matches with a range of limitations that put everyone on a more even field of battle. And everyone choosing whether to participate or not.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2011
PVP is a great fun part of the game I personally love it and I lose all the time but I still beat my share of warlords they unfairly match me up against. You just have to play smart and yes some of them are arrogant when they win and some are completely sore losers but not all of them are this way. PVP is great and I've made a bunch of great friends beating people and being beat by people there,and as to something else to replace PVP with after you have finished the main storyline you could always go to the pet pavilion and do the Pet Derby so there you have a replacement for PVP.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2013
ok, I just started pvp yesterday and so far almost every match I have been cussed out, called every name I can think of, had tons of sexual remark made to me, been told I was born a mistake, told to go walk into the kitchen, get a knife and go cut my throat so the world would be a better place with out me in it, been told I was a failure, been totally trashed... well guess what... I already know I was a mistake so I don't need to be told that. as for the "go kill yourself" part, yeah, guess I am a failure huh, done tried that and the doctors don't give me strong enough meds to have to try to deal with people like this! I wont pay to be treated this way anymore! why should everyone be able to to pvp if they chose with out this? I'm not saying to cancel pvp but if they want to continue to with it, it should either be moderated OR take all open chat out of pvp and let people use group chat, private messaging or menu chat! also was reported because waiting on a pvp match one girl said I had to change my colors because they were hers and I said no... this crap needs to stop! so much for a family/kids game...

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
KeiraDD on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
ok, I just started pvp yesterday and so far almost every match I have been cussed out, called every name I can think of, had tons of sexual remark made to me, been told I was born a mistake, told to go walk into the kitchen, get a knife and go cut my throat so the world would be a better place with out me in it, been told I was a failure, been totally trashed... well guess what... I already know I was a mistake so I don't need to be told that. as for the "go kill yourself" part, yeah, guess I am a failure huh, done tried that and the doctors don't give me strong enough meds to have to try to deal with people like this! I wont pay to be treated this way anymore! why should everyone be able to to pvp if they chose with out this? I'm not saying to cancel pvp but if they want to continue to with it, it should either be moderated OR take all open chat out of pvp and let people use group chat, private messaging or menu chat! also was reported because waiting on a pvp match one girl said I had to change my colors because they were hers and I said no... this crap needs to stop! so much for a family/kids game...
I am so sorry to hear this.

Not all people in the game are like this -- though more of them do tend to flock to the arena.

I agree completely with your requests for moderation and/or removal of open chat in PVP. That would solve a lot of the issues. I doubt it will happen.

In the meantime, I encourage you (if you are going to continue PVP) to turn off your chat balloons and close the dialogue window while in the arena. The Ignore button can also be helpful if you forget to turn off dialogue before you go in.

If the remarks are particularly offensive, it is also possible to report the offenders, and it sounds from this post like you probably could have done that with easy justification.

Otherwise, I have found the rest of the Spiral to be much better on the whole. There are still a few of the meanies out there, but they are less concentrated and easier to get away from.

Finally, the only "mistakes" I see in this post are in the behaviors of idiots who don't know how to treat others with respect and kindness. You, on the other hand, seem to have a sense that recognizes that people all deserve kindness, love, and consideration -- and there is no mistake in that whatsoever.

Survivor
Mar 24, 2009
I noticed you said "Pvp isn't optional when you are level 100. What else are you supposed to do?"

Ok. Let me analyze what you just said.
According to the theme of this thread, you want Pvp removed, however this quote is stating that it is the only thing to do; so removing it will just make the game have nothing left?

KI won't remove Pvp; or I doubt they will anyways.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
As I stated in my previous post, pvp clearly is optional. I gave you 2 alternatives that most players do if they do not want to pvp. I have a good friend that played the game for over 4 years for deciding to pvp. Many players play the game in large part for its social aspects, which can be interesting. Pvp is a system where players can go against other real players, thus requiring much more skill to defeat than AIs that might use amazing and might use horrible spells. Some of us like to test our strategy against real players instead of just computers that are, to be honest, not very hard. A few simple fixes could make pvp much fairer. And vast minority? There are fan sites mostly/completely dedicated to pvp. Unless your definition of minority is different than mine, that is not really a minority. If you have a good idea for another thing to do after finishing the game, I'd love to hear it. Wizard101 sometimes does get boring. I'm not going to deny that. Saying that pvp never should have existed just because you do not like it, however, I do not agree with, and never will. And finally, poor sports? No matter what competition Kingsisle makes, and even if there is no competition, people will be bad sports. It's just human nature. Competition brings out anger when a player loses, as humans do not like to lose. Unless you change human nature, there's no real way to fix that.
I agree with you on that. I also don't think it's a good idea for you to pay for a lot of months once you're passed level 80. Just try to foresee into the future, is it really going to take multiple months to beat the game from there? Maybe one or two, I'd say. So, you have put yourself into trouble that you'll have to get out of on your own.

Hehe. You remind me of a certain character in a book, Caulfield. ( just from your comment )

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 25, 2014 wrote:
yes sure the "adapt or quit" a line can make even veteran players cringe just from the sheer audacity of it. again you have made it quite clear that you did not even bother to read what I stated or maybe you would just be repeating yourself like a broken record.

A.) Why should I have to feel compelled to play PVP after I finish everything in the story quest line up to the present? there is nothing else to do and frankly that is one of the big reasons why many people become inactive once they finish the new world. For example. With the release of the world Khrysalis we have seen a large boost in active players on the last day and a half. Give it a couple of weeks when most of them have had their fill of Part 2 and most will return to "sleep" as I call those vast periods of time where they are not online.

B.) Why should I? a hard working player who tries to set aside some money each month to continue playing, be forced to sit here and twiddle my thumbs because I have nothing left to do? There is nothing else on WIzard101 that would make the months between new worlds enjoyable and I end up wasting a lot of money because there is nothing else to do once I finish the storyline.

You say PvP is optional and while it is advertised as such In reality it really is not. Sure you don't 'Have' to play PvP, but when you finish everything else that is all there is left unless you want to waste your money and let the rest of your membership run out unused because you can't stand the thought of going into the cesspit of slander and hatred.

and FYI I have checked out these "PvP sites" and you know what? a good many of them are used by very few people. Anyone is capable of creating a website, heck you can even find some places who let you do it for free. simply because it has a website dedicated to it does not mean that a majority of players use it. if you honestly think that then I feel sad that you are willfully ignoring what is in front of your eyes.

and honestly? I probably could come up with something more fun and creative than a silly PvP mode that just ends in heated tempers no matter who wins or loses. if you have a game where you are pitting players against each other like the Arena, then yea you will always have bad tempers and bickering, but there are games out there that have proven you can go above that and create content that not only encourages a fun competitive spirit, but even rewards it when people work together.

I don't know about you but a couple measly tickets is not any kind of decent reward and if these matches were more fun maybe I wouldn't have such an issue with them.

human nature is what you make of it. if you focus on things that bring out the worst in people, then that is all you will ever see. Maybe you should stop to smell the roses once in a while, try playing something that focuses on teamwork rather than a brutal who can kill who the fastest or who can spam the most shields.
You know, if you don't like playing PvP, then it is still considered a waste. If you gain nothing from it, it is still a waste. And If you think you can really come up with something fresh, let's see it. There's nothing stopping you, right

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
stormninja542 on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
Okay, so you have told us that you can come up with a fun and creative idea other than pvp so lets hear it. I am curious to know what this idea is. So, like I said twice before, instead of ranting on about how pvp is angering and "not optional" why don't you finally fill us in on this idea you have that's even better than pvp. We get your point samuel, but the point you are not getting is that you are merely wasting your time complaining about pvp. Make some good use out of your time and come up with ideas for the game instead of ranting on about something you don't like in the game. What will you accomplish for yourself if pvp is removed from the game? There is much to be accomplished if you come up with a new idea for the game that is optional. I can guarantee you, KI will incorporate your idea into the game much faster than removing pvp from the game.
We think alike

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 3, 2014 wrote:
this is all I am asking for really. honestly I could care less if they leave PvP in the game, but of they could make it better for everyone, not just gameplay wise, but making so kids aren't leaving ont he verge of tears because of the horrendous behavior of some of the players.
You can turn off chat when you're in an arena, you know. It's in the options.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 3, 2014 wrote:
well when was the last time you saw someone going around boasting about being skilled in the pet derby?
it's focus is more on the competitive spirit itself and most of the players who actively participate in PVP I bet very rarely ever set foot in the pet derby.

but I have to disagree with you about PVP because it really does put these players on a kind of pedestal. you may not see it, but anyone who doesn't set foot in PvP as often as you can see how they act and how they are treated and how they benefit from PvP.

i'd try to ask you see PvP from an outsiders point of view.

what would you think if you came into wizard101 and saw a group of "warlords" treating others like dirt because they aren't as highly ranked or don't pvp at all?

how would you feel if, despite them not even knowing you, decide you are worthless because you don't have some silly badge or wasted much of your time in some content that isn't worth jack squat?

you may think that a lot of players are all about sportsmanship and having fun, but I have a lot of experience with PvP, not just in this game, but in many MMOs I have played.

I have a lot of experience on what kind of behavior is brought out by PvP and I have never really been able to enjoy it because so many players got hot under the collar or get a massively inflated ego over something so trivial.

and whether you'd like to believe it or not a good many players have had their experiences in wizard101 ruined because of players like that.

I honestly don't really care what you believe at this point, but you can't tell me what I have and have not seen in the arena. a large majority of it being a bunch of rude nasty players with a terrible attitude regardless of whether they win or lose and often times they have friends who are just as nasty. you have people sitting in the stands booing you and throwing out crude and hateful remarks.

no one should have to deal with behavior like that, especially any kids who play this game. they see others acting that way and what do they do? they emulate that behavior.

cruelty and anger is a nasty chain of events. kids are very impressionable and if they see people treating each other so horribly, then they are going to start behaving the same way. hence why you only ever see older players using PvP a majority of the time. I guarantee it's because most kids up and left after being harassed by some immature player who can't keep his act together over a video game.
If you are not going to change your mind, then we have no reason to convince. From here we obviously CANNOT convince him or any others that they are wrong. Almost no one has changed their opinion here because they want to show more intellect and persuasion than the other. The system isn't clear, but rather opaque, if you will. It is the future I am trying to predict, after all. :P

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 6, 2014 wrote:
unfortunately no one is ever truly innocent in such an environment. even if you aren't responsible for being cruel, the people who don't bicker don't do anything to try and stop it either.

Curses come home to roost as an old saying goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a parent kicked up this issue with King's Isle.

honestly if things aren't improved then ultimately it will likely be the death of PvP
What are they going to do to stop it? Say,"Stop, it hurts my feelings when you do that." That's likely to work. Remember, these are immature freshman we're talking about.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 8, 2014 wrote:
removing PvP is probably the simplest solution to a problem such as this, though you don't care to listen to me because all you care about is fighting each other to the death in an arena.

and my last sentence "you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want."

I was speaking in a general sense, not just referring to PvP. This game was created and is well known for it's family friendly gameplay, this means it was designed not just for older people, but for children as well. If such a thing comes into the game that disrupts the family fun, then you start losing players, you have upset parents, crying kids and everything starts going downhill in a hurry.

I can understand King's Isle wanting to bring out a more competitive spirit in the dedicated player group, but when we are left with nothing, but an arena filled with people who are what a few of my friends as "try-hard players" then this game pretty much loses all it's appeal outside of new world content.

-----
(Definition)
Try-Hard: A term used to reference any player who takes a video game with such seriousness that they often cannot take a situation where something deviates from their wants and desires and will get upset and often be vocally rude or nasty towards others. These are also the same people who often get an inflated ego over having "skills" as some call it in a game based on luck and not real strategy. They often like to ridicule others who can't keep up with such a rigid play style, or they will attack and harass those who beat them at their own game and they can't handle a defeat gracefully.

-----
My ideal gaming community would be one with multiple games for people to occupy their time in a world such as wizard101, so they don't feel like they have to torture themselves with PvP in the Arena just to get their money's worth of content to satisfy paying for a month of subscription.

They already took a step in the right direction with housing games such as fire elf tag. It encourages a competitive fun environment that doesn't end with players crying or upset and harassing each other. However this tag game is only a small piece of content and isn't really a stable type of game suitable for keeping someone occupied for weeks or months between content updates. I honestly could not see someone spending hours playing tag in Wizard101, it would grow very stale after a few games.

Personally I probably could sit down and come up with a list of ideas to make the game more fun and longer lasting, but I don't know if you realize it, but people like me have a lot of things to do other than sitting down in a gaming forum all day. I have to do housework and look for stable employment, on top of other things on an ever growing list of things I must do in my life.

If I can get a chance to sit down and write down a few ideas, I'd be more than happy to, but isn't that what King's Isle employees are paid to do? come up with fun ideas?
So you have time to play PvP and W101 a lot, but you don't have time to make a little list? Curious, oh curious. And about the key argument here, removing PvP would NOT be good for the children. If you think about it, W101 would lose more than just a handful of players if they put down PvP. I say they lose half. Without these paying memberships, KI will lose money and have to limit W101. That's no fun, is it? Unless you can say something of perfection here, I think I'm right.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Samuel Wolfe on May 12, 2014 wrote:
I assume you really didn't take a look at the other posts I have made on this thread. outside questing ( to which I have already finished khrysalis part 2) there is almost nothing to do save for the Arena, which honestly no one should feel they need to go there to get their money's worth of subscription.

it is like saying "Well you don't 'have' to do it, but it's the only real optional content we offer." that is basically pushing a "you must play it to get your money's worth" type of mindset into a lot of players, even if they dislike it they will force themselves to play os they don't feel like they wasted their own money or the money of a parent, guardian, etc
As I said earlier, if you don't like it and your paying for it, then it IS indeed a waste. Yes, indubitably.