Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I can't pick my school!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 07, 2014
Help please! I've just started playing as a life wizard and it's great that I can heal myself but I'm not sure about it. I think I want to start playing as a new wizard but I can't pick my school! I was thinking but their defenses are low or but their attacks are low! Please help me because I really don't know what school to pick!
Thanks in advance!

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Welcome to the game windy!

There are numerous posts regarding this, with many valuable reasons explaining personal choice of school. This site and wizardcentral101 will definitely assist you in listing the pros/cons to each of the seven schools. I personally favor the ,, schools for playing, but I don't discount the others as I am aware of their purpose(s). It all comes down to personal preference, and play style.

If you have played other MMO titles with specific class types, then school comes closest to the "Tank" class, while school is meant as the "Healer" class, and, in my opinion, the school seems to fit the "Support" class best. The school favors a summoned companion while "Dueling" but be warned that in the higher levels, I feel this companion's health is not sufficient and may become a hindrance more than helper. The higher damage dealing schools of , offer lower health pools and higher "Fizzle" rates as well, but pack tremendous power behind their spells. The school seems to be a favorite among some solo players due to its "Drain" spells. This is the only school that offers the ability to damage the enemy and heal yourself at the same time.

Every school has its purpose and fun factor. I encourage you again to peruse these message boards for some excellent incite on choosing your wizard's school, and get the maximum potential out of your wizard.

So, welcome once again, have fun, and best of luck to you.

Gabriel Archmage

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
Yes, welcome to the game.

Pros and Cons of each school.

Pros: No Balance shield, lots of blades and traps against other schools.
Cons: Low attack.

Pros: Lots of health, and defenses.
Cons: Very low attack damage.

Pros: Attack and heal
Cons: Weak attack

Pros: damage over time, second highest attack damage in game
Cons: Second lowest health in game

Pros: Minions
Cons: Not very many cons, but moderate attack damage.

Pros: Healing
Cons: Weak attacks

Pros: Highest attack damage in game
Cons: Lowest health in game

Hope this helped you pick your school!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
windylife2001 on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
Help please! I've just started playing as a life wizard and it's great that I can heal myself but I'm not sure about it. I think I want to start playing as a new wizard but I can't pick my school! I was thinking but their defenses are low or but their attacks are low! Please help me because I really don't know what school to pick!
Thanks in advance!
I personally feel Death is a good wizard for starting the game with since it has options other schools do not to keep you going longer in the game. It also seems more straight forward on how to play that school. It has forgiveness if you don't have the best gear or pet equipped.

My first wizard was Life and I can say it's a slow play, you get way too many healing spells and your first all around isn't till lvl 58 - ugh - but I play this school the best because I soloed more with it and now have a very able heal and deal wizard.

Balance I never quite warmed up to, even at level 90 I am not comfortable in how I play this school, Balance mobs or bosses throw me off, it makes a great pair up with a Storm wizard though. Storm is not so great until you can build accuracy in your gear later on, if you can get this school off the ground you can really do some damage but it's rough lvl 50 and below, this school is fun to play. Fire is sort of a almost as strong as Storm set up, a little less power but more health and such. Myth is fun to play but by far not a power house but with right gear and prep can get things done. Ice is another school I don't feel I play well enough, some schools you just don't warm up to . I do have it paired with a Death wizard and we are just starting to meet our match end of Avalon. Between Celestia and end of Avalon we were in sync with battles to the point where we could take down everything - even Jabbawok. Death is easy for me to play solo or with group, I can go in first in battles and walk out with full health - what's not to like about all that time saved not hunting around for wisps.

As you can see everyone has preferred and not really preferred schools they play. Once you do pick a school that "fits" you it's a matter of making the best of the strengths and weakness to make that wizard the best it can be. As you progress, spells, gear even pets may make the game play easier.

Mary

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
Welcome to the Spiral! :D

I'm going to introduce myself. Hi, my name is Vanessa Rainbowpetal. I am a level 51 theurgist, currently adventuring in Celestia. I hope you have a good time playing Wizard101!

Let's start off with the elemental schools. It includes: Fire, Storm and Ice.

• Fire is a school with damage over time spells, it means that when you attack, the damage will linger on for three rounds. It has regular spells as well. It has the second lowest base health.
  • Storm wizards are the most powerful when it comes to attacking. They have the lowest base health, but the strong attacks make up for that.
  • Ice wizards are the complete opposite of storm, having the weakest attack, but the most base health. They have amazing resist to go along with their health.
Now, the Spirit schools. It consists of Myth, Life and Death.
  • Myth wizards are able to summon minions to help them in battle. All schools will receive a minion at one point, but myth wizards receive more then one minion. They also have some double attack spells. They have the third lowest health.
  • Life is a healing school, you heal mostly. There are some attack spells but, not many. They have a pretty good health, third best at the beginning, second at the end.
  • Death wizards have the ability to take damage and heal themselves at the same time. They have the forth lowest health.

As you know, there are seven schools. Balance isn't a Spirit school or an Elemental.

• Balance is the center of all the schools. It has a bit from each one.

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 51 theurgist

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
in your position i would choose death their health drains are a pretty good balance between defense and offense

Survivor
Jan 07, 2014
mmoluvr on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:

There are numerous posts regarding this, with many valuable reasons explaining personal choice of school. This site and wizardcentral101 will definitely assist you in listing the pros/cons to each of the seven schools. I personally favor the ,, schools for playing, but I don't discount the others as I am aware of their purpose(s). It all comes down to personal preference, and play style.

If you have played other MMO titles with specific class types, then school comes closest to the "Tank" class, while school is meant as the "Healer" class, and, in my opinion, the school seems to fit the "Support" class best. The school favors a summoned companion while "Dueling" but be warned that in the higher levels, I feel this companion's health is not sufficient and may become a hindrance more than helper. The higher damage dealing schools of , offer lower health pools and higher "Fizzle" rates as well, but pack tremendous power behind their spells. The school seems to be a favorite among some solo players due to its "Drain" spells. This is the only school that offers the ability to damage the enemy and heal yourself at the same time.

Every school has its purpose and fun factor. I encourage you again to peruse these message boards for some excellent incite on choosing your wizard's school, and get the maximum potential out of your wizard.

Gabriel Archmage
Thanks! Just to let you know I've played Wizard 101 for a long time before but I just decided to start fresh on a new account. Thank you for the tips and I have decided to go with even though I already have it on level 50 on my other account I guess I've always been more attached to ice .
Thanks again!
Katie lvl 9

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
mmoluvr on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:

Gabriel Archmage
That is a really good summary of the schools. Wouldn't be changing a thing you put up there. Though there is one thing that might also go in fire's favor. They also have the closest to a drain spell you can get without it actually being drain as those are restricted to death. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's link which hits the enemy with a small damage over time and gives you a small heal over time. It's not a drain but it's possibly the closest you could get.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2012
I decided to start a new wizard for the new year and wasn't sure what school to choose. Mostly I just wanted to learn new spells and strategy.I soon realized that I would probably enjoy any/all of them (I went with fire) and I'm sure to have 1 from each school soon. This is a game-Enjoy!
(you can always start over)