Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Backlash calculation

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2011
Seems like backlash is not alway correctly calated. Sometimes I will receive -10 backlash each of the three rounds but the backlash still does 20% damage. This might occur when using a shadow spell more than once in a battle. On my second shadow spell the orb starts out angry or with the red outline. Please fix this issue.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Just Another Wizar... on Nov 26, 2013 wrote:
Seems like backlash is not alway correctly calated. Sometimes I will receive -10 backlash each of the three rounds but the backlash still does 20% damage. This might occur when using a shadow spell more than once in a battle. On my second shadow spell the orb starts out angry or with the red outline. Please fix this issue.
I've noticed this issue as well, except it happens even if I only use one shadow spell during a battle. Here's what I'm noticing, and it may be related or just a coincidence.

I cast the shadow spell (30% backlash). I then use a spell that decreases the backlash by 10% (so it's now 20%). Then I might cast a neutral spell or none at all (0% change). Last round of shadow, I cast a spell that reduces the backlash again (so now should be 10%). It will even show the -10% backlash text just before the backlash occurs, and then suddenly, I take a 20% hit. For me, it's as though the backlash has already been calculated, so the reduction of the backlash is pointless. I haven't tested it out to see what would happen if I cast only one spell (on last round of shadow) to see if it will do 30%, though if that did happen, it would confirm that the backlash damage is calculated earlier than it should be.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
My experience with it is that backlash always occurs on the last round of the spell even when the fight is ended. So it never counts the final minus. If you blade, blade, hit for example, you still get a 10% hit. If you blade, pass, hit... 20%. Blade, hit and kill all = no backlash. Don't cast it until you are ready to finish the battle if you don't want backlash. If you wait until final round, you will get hit, hit a round earlier and you won't.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
seethe42 on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
My experience with it is that backlash always occurs on the last round of the spell even when the fight is ended. So it never counts the final minus. If you blade, blade, hit for example, you still get a 10% hit. If you blade, pass, hit... 20%. Blade, hit and kill all = no backlash. Don't cast it until you are ready to finish the battle if you don't want backlash. If you wait until final round, you will get hit, hit a round earlier and you won't.
It's still a bug. If it's not going to take away another 10% of the backlash, why is it shown? My understanding of it is that the minimum backlash is 10%, so even if you do things to reduce the backlash each turn, you can't get it below 10%. Of course, if that information is based on that last -10% not being properly calculated, then it might be possible to get it to no backlash at all (even if the battle isn't over).

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Fangs McWolf on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
It's still a bug. If it's not going to take away another 10% of the backlash, why is it shown? My understanding of it is that the minimum backlash is 10%, so even if you do things to reduce the backlash each turn, you can't get it below 10%. Of course, if that information is based on that last -10% not being properly calculated, then it might be possible to get it to no backlash at all (even if the battle isn't over).
It is calculated, I tested it last night. I bladed, passed, attacked. -10 blade, nothing, -10 attack... got 10% backlash. Blade, attack, nothing = same. Blade, blade, attack = same. Blade, blade, blade = same. As for the reason it shows, try healing with Shrike, it gives +10, so even though the 10% is the lowest, it does need to show it. It's correctly calculating the last 10% now. Originally it wasn't counting it, even if that was the only 10%. Now it's counting it, except that you cannot go below the 10%.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
seethe42 on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
It is calculated, I tested it last night. I bladed, passed, attacked. -10 blade, nothing, -10 attack... got 10% backlash. Blade, attack, nothing = same. Blade, blade, attack = same. Blade, blade, blade = same. As for the reason it shows, try healing with Shrike, it gives +10, so even though the 10% is the lowest, it does need to show it. It's correctly calculating the last 10% now. Originally it wasn't counting it, even if that was the only 10%. Now it's counting it, except that you cannot go below the 10%.
So what you're saying is...

1. It was messing up and not counting the -10 if it was during the last turn (when backlash would happen), but now it seems to be working as it should

and

2. That 10% is indeed the lowest it will go.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I've watched a video on Duelist101, and it showed how Back Lash works. Here is what I've picked up from it, and I've noticed that it is what happens:
  • Back Lash are in %
  • You can't get more than 70% Back Lash
  • You can't get less than 20% Back Lash
  • If you're on your last round of Shadow Form when the battle ends, you still get Back Lash
  • If you're not on your last round of Shadow Form when the battle ends, you don't get Back Lash
Hope this helps!

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield."

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Nicholas Hawkspear on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
I've watched a video on Duelist101, and it showed how Back Lash works. Here is what I've picked up from it, and I've noticed that it is what happens:
  • Back Lash are in %
  • You can't get more than 70% Back Lash
  • You can't get less than 20% Back Lash
  • If you're on your last round of Shadow Form when the battle ends, you still get Back Lash
  • If you're not on your last round of Shadow Form when the battle ends, you don't get Back Lash
Hope this helps!

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield."
This is from the Duelist101 site...

Backlash starts out at 30% for all Shadow Spells. This means when the spell ends, it will deal damage to you for 30% of your current health. This ignores resist and damage modifiers. Doing something your Shadow Self “likes” will remove 10% backlash. Doing something it dislikes will add 10% backlash. Doing something neutral will not add or remove any backlash. You will get a minimum of 10% Backlash no matter what you do, and a maximum of 70%. We have added specific information below the spell pictures.

From what I've noticed, 10% is the minimum, not 20% like you said. If I get -10 during the first two rounds, it's 10%, but if I skip a round, then despite it saying -10 backlash, it's still 20% instead of 10%.