Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Return of Dampen Magic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
Who here remembers the retired Dampen Magic spell? Well, I am thinking that that card should once again be made trainable. probably as an astral aura or soemthing? We need auras for the Astral schools anyways.

The effect of Dampen magic was that it would limit the field to only three pips per participant, And with battles like what we are dealing with in Azteca or avalon, I can see "Dampen Magic" being incredibly useful, Especially if one has been stacking up minotuars or whatever. it would certainly bring a balance into the fight that was lost when we introduced creatures with +5 Power pips.

Who else thinks this card should be brought back into the game as a late aura?

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
The spiral's first craftable bubble, Cone of Silence (props to whoever gets that joke)

Under the Cone, which is cheap at 2 pips, all wiz in a battle cap at 6 or even 4 pips. A cap at 4 makes it that much harder to remove the Cone.

This would be the centerpiece of the new Spy vs Spy themed world, Monte Cargo.

The cone would be a second Balance bubble, or it could be an astral spell that's also a bubble.

Release date: April 1, 2014.

Other craftable bubbles could be retired spells in bubble form.

Sun and Star still do not have craftable spells so they would get some nice ones, and Moon could get a whole slew of new spy disguises and oddball polymorphs, some of which could be used in pvp.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Why do you guys think they retired these spells in the first place? Hmm? I think bringing back dampen magic would mess things up.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
Hey all !

Sorry but I'm against the idea ! Players start off the fights with 1 or 2 pips or power pips while mobs and bosses start off with 5,6 (quite often all power pips), it would only hinder players while having no effect on mobs/bosses.

Also, it would only force players to re-do their decks and put spells that only cost 4,5,6 pips and not the higher spells ! Sorry but a wraith just doesn't cut in in Azteca ! (just an example btw)

90 btw !

That spell is good as it is now, dead and forgotten !

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
HikaruMidomiya on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Hey all !

Sorry but I'm against the idea ! Players start off the fights with 1 or 2 pips or power pips while mobs and bosses start off with 5,6 (quite often all power pips), it would only hinder players while having no effect on mobs/bosses.

Also, it would only force players to re-do their decks and put spells that only cost 4,5,6 pips and not the higher spells ! Sorry but a wraith just doesn't cut in in Azteca ! (just an example btw)

90 btw !

That spell is good as it is now, dead and forgotten !
I agree btw!

Historian
May 06, 2009
Belgrim Soulthief on Aug 26, 2013 wrote:
Who here remembers the retired Dampen Magic spell? Well, I am thinking that that card should once again be made trainable. probably as an astral aura or soemthing? We need auras for the Astral schools anyways.

The effect of Dampen magic was that it would limit the field to only three pips per participant, And with battles like what we are dealing with in Azteca or avalon, I can see "Dampen Magic" being incredibly useful, Especially if one has been stacking up minotuars or whatever. it would certainly bring a balance into the fight that was lost when we introduced creatures with +5 Power pips.

Who else thinks this card should be brought back into the game as a late aura?
I would agree with you to bring it back.

The reason this spell was removed from the game, is not for its effect, but because someone hatched into the game and began spamming fake treasure card versions in the Bazaar. This brought an outrage to the 2010 players and the spell was removed from the game. I, however, feel it is time this spell returned in a new way for players.

Current Dampen Magic:

School: Balance
Type: Global
Accuracy: 100%
Description: Limit all casters to 3 Pip max
If this version were added to the game, we'd all be stuck using Wraithe or Triton and if you haven't noticed, the Spiritual schools aren't the biggest power houses. Or worse, no one could cast a spell at all.
Like Cloak, this would be the new version of Dampen Magic to better fit with todays spells:

Description: Limit all Casters to 5 Pip max. -5% Pip Chance +25% Damage to all spells
Possible Restrictions:
Must be Level 90+?
Must be a PvP Captain-Warlord?

This version of the spell would now act as something of a "forbidden spell" (spells that you want to aviod using, like Doom and Gloom and Powerplay) First off, now Players have 5 pips max instead of 3 so they can access their Rank 10 spells. That's fair for duels in Azteca.

With the side effect of a -5% pip chance, this spell retains some of it's original characteristics in being a risk spell. Now your enemies (and in some extents yourself) will have a difficult time keeping pips to cast spells. With the new Azteca Star spells, this should not be a problem for the Wizard (Life, I know you absolutely hate your aura, but on the flip side, your gear gives you high pip chance so it shouldn't be too bad.)

Also now it gives an extra damage boost to help all Wizards deal damage with their spells that are at a lower rank. That also leave extra reason for everyone to use it. I think that's fair. That makes it not too bad a spell to use, because if you were to end up using lower ranked spells, they would gain a power boost.

I'd want this spell reserved only for the most powerful, but I can't think of a good restriction. So far I'd say Level 90+ or a PvP level would work best. Anyone else have some suggestions?

No one here is obligated to use the spell or is forced to get it. So, I'm not sure why there is reason to believe that. If you don't want to use it or get it, don't. At any point in the battle, this Global spell can be overturned with another.
I feel if these changes are made, Dampen Magic can be good enough to return to the game.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
the idea was to make it so the enemies cannot get that many pips which sounds good even though you cannot either but i have no say i am buying areas with crowns don't have membership anymore and am stuck in cl

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
I would agree with you to bring it back.

The reason this spell was removed from the game, is not for its effect, but because someone hatched into the game and began spamming fake treasure card versions in the Bazaar. This brought an outrage to the 2010 players and the spell was removed from the game. I, however, feel it is time this spell returned in a new way for players.

Current Dampen Magic:

Description: Limit all casters to 3 Pip max
If this version were added to the game, we'd all be stuck using Wraithe or Triton and if you haven't noticed, the Spiritual schools aren't the biggest power houses. Or worse, no one could cast a spell at all.
Like Cloak, this would be the new version of Dampen Magic to better fit with todays spells:

Description: Limit all Casters to 5 Pip max. -5% Pip Chance +25% Damage to all spells
Possible Restrictions:
Must be Level 90+?
Must be a PvP Captain-Warlord?

This version of the spell would now act as something of a "forbidden spell" (spells that you want to aviod using, like Doom and Gloom and Powerplay) First off, now Players have 5 pips max instead of 3 so they can access their Rank 10 spells. That's fair for duels in Azteca.

With the side effect of a -5% pip chance, this spell retains some of it's original characteristics in being a risk spell. Now your enemies (and in some extents yourself) will have a difficult time keeping pips to cast spells. With the new Azteca Star spells, this should not be a problem for the Wizard (Life, I know you absolutely hate your aura, but on the flip side, your gear gives you high pip chance so it shouldn't be too bad.)

Also now it gives an extra damage boost to help all Wizards deal damage with their spells that are at a lower rank. That also leave extra reason for everyone to use it. I think that's fair. That makes it not too bad a spell to use, because if you were to end up using lower ranked spells, they would gain a power boost.

I'd want this spell reserved only for the most powerful, but I can't think of a good restriction. So far I'd say Level 90+ or a PvP level would work best. Anyone else have some suggestions?

No one here is obligated to use the spell or is forced to get it. So, I'm not sure why there is reason to believe that. If you don't want to use it or get it, don't. At any point in the battle, this Global spell can be overturned with another.
I feel if these changes are made, Dampen Magic can be good enough to return to the game.
Since it was banned from pvp before it shouldn't be used n pvp now. I stink at pvp, but really want this spell if it comes back out. If its edited and stuff.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Spiral emperor on Sep 3, 2013 wrote:
Since it was banned from pvp before it shouldn't be used n pvp now. I stink at pvp, but really want this spell if it comes back out. If its edited and stuff.
Yeah, a No PvP flag on the spell would probably help too