Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet XP

AuthorMessage
Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I'm probably not the only one who sometimes wishes pet training didn't take so long.

I understand it's set up partially to encourage people to purchase energy elixirs, and I'm sure that works. However once Mega was added, it feels like the concept of increasing the energy cost by 2 for every level and/or the rewards from both food and training have become antiquated. I think it may be time to review one or both of these. I have some ideas that I've been thinking about.

My first idea is to change the energy cost. Baby-Teen could stay at two, but instead of increasing the energy cost by two per level, increase it by one. That way when you're training Epic - Mega, when you need the most XP, you have more training opportunities in a day. The cost would be 6 instead of 10.

Another idea is Mega Snacks, or maybe Ultra Snacks, that have greater rewards. This one I don't know about, because while a pet snack that offers say 75 - 100 XP sounds good, I'm not 100% sure base reward increases on pet snacks is the right direction to go.

Multipliers tied to performance in the training games. Instead of getting 0 - 4 XP, you get a modifier to your pet snack reward. Converting the current XP system to multipliers, I was thinking 0 = 1x, 1 = 1.5X, 2 = 2x, 3 = 2.5x, and 4 = 3x? Or maybe put a modifier in for level. Same scale where the modifier increases 0.5 per level.

The system the way it is right now works good for Teen to Ancient. It was pushing boundaries at Epic, but at Mega it just feels way too daunting. If we ever get another level added (I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping that happens some day) that requires 4,000 XP and 12 energy per game, the current system is going to be absolutely brutal!

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
I agree with you totally. It takes way to long to train pets with hardly any energy from gardening and fishing.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
Mega was when it started to get a bit crazy. IMO mega should've had the same experience needed as Epic.
It went too far. It should also stay at 8 energy cost for Mega at the very least. Epic was fine even though it was pushing it a little. I used to both garden and pet train on the same wizard. It was a real pain to have energy for both. (And yes i did do the gardening parts first)
I'm not sure what to say about the multiplier idea...

Michelle Shadowcatcher LVL 79
Tara GoldenPetal LVL 36

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
You know, I was thinking something a little different. Maybe, much like the XP gained from quests increases with character level, the XP gained from the minigames increases with pet level. For instance, you get 4 XP per game at baby, then 8 XP at teen, 16 XP at adult, 24 XP at ancient, and 48 XP for epic pets. This would make training the pets more of a reasonable task, and follow more of the set up of the characters XP point system.

Scarlet Firerider
Level 75

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Scarlet Firerider on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
You know, I was thinking something a little different. Maybe, much like the XP gained from quests increases with character level, the XP gained from the minigames increases with pet level. For instance, you get 4 XP per game at baby, then 8 XP at teen, 16 XP at adult, 24 XP at ancient, and 48 XP for epic pets. This would make training the pets more of a reasonable task, and follow more of the set up of the characters XP point system.

Scarlet Firerider
Level 75
This is a great idea! I think it's more fair and definitely more consistent with the current system of doubling the energy used and the amount of XP needed to level up.