Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I just want to play solo

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 25, 2015
yea I hate when some people press team up and then ask me if I was going to do a certain boss in a dungeon I would say no and when we get done with the boss and its time for the LAST boss in a dungeon they leave

Survivor
Jun 20, 2012
Now, wouldn't that be taking the run away from things if KI "Makes things easier for solo wizards"? Soloing the way things are would be a challenge. I've soloed my entire way from Celestia-Azteca. If you think about it, KI has been listening. Most of the dungeons nowadays, people aren't able to join. Proves KI has been listening to everyone! Level 91 Level 100 Level 100 Level 100 Level 95

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
The whole aim of Wizard101 is to play with friends. KI making a "solo" button would take the "MMO" away from "MMORPG".

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Thing is there are a lot of people who like to solo. Allowing options for the amount of players entering a dungeon doesn't take away anything from those who run in teams. The solo player is a customer just like the team player.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2009
There is a simple solution Do NOT play online games that require you to team up with other players to tackle challenges,If you wanna play solo go play a single player game

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
SirFear on May 6, 2015 wrote:
There is a simple solution Do NOT play online games that require you to team up with other players to tackle challenges,If you wanna play solo go play a single player game
How about our suggestion and KI look at adding options for solo play. I am hoping KI sees value in the player who does like to solo instead of leaving as you suggest.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
Khrysalis is a breath of fresh air for me after Azteca. I hated Azteca. Getting sharpen blade was a little worth it. I have soloed most of Khrysalis. I have used team up a few times and my minion a few times as well. Compared to Azteca I love this world. Even being up against three enemies I have been able to kill them on my own. I think KI listened to their players when they were saying Azteca was way too hard to solo and too many cheating bosses in the main story line. I like to solo as well. If people don't want to be followed into a dungeon go to a realm with less people. You would think that people this far in the game would be more mature to not leave teammates hanging...

Chelsea Titanwhisper Exalted Sorcerer

Survivor
Jun 24, 2013
I too like to solo. I've thought about quitting the game a few times because it is just too much stress getting through some of the big instances. It isn't fun when 4 bosses at once also cheat. Exhaustion is not why I play but is often the end result, 2-4 hour dungeons are ridiculous. It isn't helpful either when you ask about a dungeon and are hit with how easy someone else did this or that boss. Give some real advice not just "oh that was easy". This khrysalis end game may have been my last.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
I agreed here. Everyone in dungeons act like whippersnappers (young and inexperienced people). They rush into battles, no strategy in thought, skip dialogue, and leave you hanging in the middle of dungeons.

Yes, solo players can't get everything. Soloing everything with no high price isn't an option, but neither is adding a "SOLO" button to an MMORPG or simply cracking.

There are various threads that can help with this though. There's one that suggests minions have better AI, and actually make them somewhat helpful. There's another with people suggesting an upgraded Team Up kiosk that will match them with people that ACTUALLY want to get stuff done.

It's sad that you had to spend that much on a single dungeon, but maybe KI will hear their paying customers' suggestions and add these features.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2010
I am a solo player because I like the challenge.

I already know that this is NOT the fastest way to complete any dungeon in the game and accept that going into them alone. And I have used henchmen from time to time though I prefer not to do things that way.

And as for the 'older' players that have commented with complaint in this thread, I guess I figure into that group also since I was married and had children when Pong was new and exciting.

I don't want KI to change the way they do things. They balance things with genius. I have seen far too many MMORPG go the way of the dodo birds because the creators began trying to keep the squeaky wheels greased and changing things to keep them happy.

The team up kiosk by the bazaar was a breath of fresh air in the respect that if you hit team up there is a good chance you will get enough people joining to do that sticky dungeon that just cant quite be soloed. Sadly it can also feel like you just ripped off a bandage and packed a wound with salt.

On the good side you get three people with enough skill that the dungeon no longer brings the pain with the challenge. When that happens you should be hitting the 'Add to Friends' button. This way you build up a group of people who play the same as you play. If you get stuck you start with that list first and ask if they can help out. I have people on my list that are twenty or thirty levels below me now. If they ask, and I am free, I am happy to help. Just because someone is dozens of levels above you doesn't mean they would't be happy to help out.

Ahh but with the good always comes the bad. You get people that make you wonder how they got to the level that shows in their stats. That is when you ask yourself why you didnt hire a henchman instead. But it happens and if it does I try it again which is certainly no different than trying to do it solo so many times the bosses start to address me by my name.

If these ideas dont fit well then search for clans, guilds or groups to join.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2013
I actually enjoy Wizard101 because it is, for the most part, fun and sans gore or extreme violence. But that doesn't mean I don't have issues with it. We should be able to voice our "complaints" freely without being criticized for doing so. This is good for a game's improvement and sustainability.

The solo issue isn't unique to Wizard101. Other games, I've played, handle the "solo player" issue by granting extra health, a minor blocking amulet, easy/hard option or, at the very least, helpful hints on solo play.

Also, sites like the Duelist and Stars of the Spiral, that go above and beyond to be some of the most helpful tools out there for Wizard101 game play, have gotten me through a few bosses without being annihilated over and over again.

There are some dungeons, in many games, that I just don't do because they definitely require teams, big and small, to defeat. That's fine, I get it. But mainline quests should be doable, for every style of play: solo, team, raid, whatever.

I am just saying, when a player becomes despairingly frustrated a game, like most things in life, becomes ineffective, pointless and futile for that player.

Wizard has addressed the problem frequently, because players are willing to voice their concerns, and in so doing have kept me playing (and spending).

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
crowmagus on Jun 4, 2015 wrote:
I am a solo player because I like the challenge.

I already know that this is NOT the fastest way to complete any dungeon in the game and accept that going into them alone. And I have used henchmen from time to time though I prefer not to do things that way.

And as for the 'older' players that have commented with complaint in this thread, I guess I figure into that group also since I was married and had children when Pong was new and exciting.

I don't want KI to change the way they do things. They balance things with genius. I have seen far too many MMORPG go the way of the dodo birds because the creators began trying to keep the squeaky wheels greased and changing things to keep them happy.

The team up kiosk by the bazaar was a breath of fresh air in the respect that if you hit team up there is a good chance you will get enough people joining to do that sticky dungeon that just cant quite be soloed. Sadly it can also feel like you just ripped off a bandage and packed a wound with salt.

On the good side you get three people with enough skill that the dungeon no longer brings the pain with the challenge. When that happens you should be hitting the 'Add to Friends' button. This way you build up a group of people who play the same as you play. If you get stuck you start with that list first and ask if they can help out. I have people on my list that are twenty or thirty levels below me now. If they ask, and I am free, I am happy to help. Just because someone is dozens of levels above you doesn't mean they would't be happy to help out.

Ahh but with the good always comes the bad. You get people that make you wonder how they got to the level that shows in their stats. That is when you ask yourself why you didnt hire a henchman instead. But it happens and if it does I try it again which is certainly no different than trying to do it solo so many times the bosses start to address me by my name.

If these ideas dont fit well then search for clans, guilds or groups to join.
I basically soloed the game through Avalon on all of my characters, excepting some obvious dungeons. I soloed bosses that most people found players to help with, using henchmen and/or many, many attempts. It helped that all of my wizards play support; takes them longer to kill, yes, but they have the tools to keep themselves alive until they do.

Three even soloed Azteca and Khrysalis - obvious boss/dungeon exceptions, usually done with whomever I found by realm switching.

My fourth character is in Azteca and helping a friend's lower level character catch up to her because soloing is proving difficult and tedious.

I get wanting to solo, I have played solo for most of the time I've been in this game.

I think expecting *everything* to be automatically solo-able is a bit unreasonable after a certain point in the game, though. All main storyline content, fine, or everything done via a setting that allows for "Solo Play", fine.

The Nerf required for a place like Darkmoor to be soloed (without some sort of accomodation for solo play) would eliminate the challenge - and most of the fun - of the dungeon for multiplayer teams.

Just as the advanced levels of the game are too difficult (and therefore not much fun) to solo, making them soloable would be far too easy for multiplayer teams - and too easy is no more fun than too hard.

I don't really know what answer here is, if there is an answer or if the answer is that KI has to decide they value only one of the two types of players.

I will say that I don't think I'll be soloing much in the future. I've been farming Darkmoor with a very well-coordinated group (if the run takes more than an hour, we failed. We're averaging 45 minutes, honestly) and I've learned that I enjoy the game much more with a group of players who I like, who know what they're doing and who celebrate each other's " wow" moments. The perfectly timed mama burn. The rebirth that hit for 6,000 with really setting. The one-hit Malistaire kill.

Survivor
May 13, 2009
PaigeGoldenspear on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
I basically soloed the game through Avalon on all of my characters, excepting some obvious dungeons. I soloed bosses that most people found players to help with, using henchmen and/or many, many attempts. It helped that all of my wizards play support; takes them longer to kill, yes, but they have the tools to keep themselves alive until they do.

Three even soloed Azteca and Khrysalis - obvious boss/dungeon exceptions, usually done with whomever I found by realm switching.

My fourth character is in Azteca and helping a friend's lower level character catch up to her because soloing is proving difficult and tedious.

I get wanting to solo, I have played solo for most of the time I've been in this game.

I think expecting *everything* to be automatically solo-able is a bit unreasonable after a certain point in the game, though. All main storyline content, fine, or everything done via a setting that allows for "Solo Play", fine.

The Nerf required for a place like Darkmoor to be soloed (without some sort of accomodation for solo play) would eliminate the challenge - and most of the fun - of the dungeon for multiplayer teams.

Just as the advanced levels of the game are too difficult (and therefore not much fun) to solo, making them soloable would be far too easy for multiplayer teams - and too easy is no more fun than too hard.

I don't really know what answer here is, if there is an answer or if the answer is that KI has to decide they value only one of the two types of players.

I will say that I don't think I'll be soloing much in the future. I've been farming Darkmoor with a very well-coordinated group (if the run takes more than an hour, we failed. We're averaging 45 minutes, honestly) and I've learned that I enjoy the game much more with a group of players who I like, who know what they're doing and who celebrate each other's " wow" moments. The perfectly timed mama burn. The rebirth that hit for 6,000 with really setting. The one-hit Malistaire kill.
If they make a option at the sigils for solo or smaller group play it wouldn't nerf the dungeons for people who go in as teams. I think that is a reasonable request.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
bigbug100 on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
If they make a option at the sigils for solo or smaller group play it wouldn't nerf the dungeons for people who go in as teams. I think that is a reasonable request.
Encompassed by my "some sort of accomdation for solo play."

Survivor
Jun 12, 2011
I am glad to see this thread still going. I, too, am a “mature” player, both in game years and human years lol. I always remember I am playing with young people, most of the time. As stated, I also have been lvl 80 and worked with a lvl 45, to bring them along, because we worked well, together. That is the exception. Most lower lvl want you to give them TC, gift them, and port to you, when they shouldn't. The worse part is, they have no problem begging.

I know there are manuals, rules, lists of what is not allowable, but is there any one place that “strongly” states the etiquette of play? Like anything in life, you need to make an impact or impression. If you deserted a team, in a dungeon, and could not play for 15 min, half hour, or hour you would get their attention. Was 3/4 through a hard dungeon, the other day, when one went AFK and the other just said they had to leave!

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
This conversation interests me because you are blaming Wizard101 for you wasting money. You don't HAVE to buy henchmen because you don't HAVE to work solo. If your choice is not to get any help, then that's your choice to work hard to achieve your goal by yourself. If you want to spend a lot of money buying helpful animations, then that is your decision. I do understand that you may feel frustrated but you have to keep in mind the higher level you get, the harder battles become. You will just have to accept that. Good luck :)
- Gabrielle Silversword

Survivor
Jun 12, 2011
Don’t know that anyone is blaming Wizard101 for wasting money. That is each person’s responsibility. The conversation is the desire to play solo. People porting to someone, bringing in another bad guy, then disappearing; people going afk, during a battle or dungeon; people entering a dungeon, wanting to do the secret boss, then leave; people just not liking the team they get, and leave. That kind of behavior makes working solo very appealing.

I have done a lot of Loremaster, the last 2 weeks. I was in there with 3 players with health under 900. Had a guy proudly announce that he was lvl 3. How do they get in there? Had a guy tell me it was open to any lvl. How can that be when you can’t get to Dragonspyer, at that lvl?

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
Using team up is your best bet for the tough dungeons. Henchmen just won't cut it.

I'm really annoyed by people who abuse team up (teaming up and leaving right at the beginning or leaving half way because they had to do something else....)Really glad that they raised the team up punishment for those who leave instantly to 10 minutes and that they are the only one who get it. That seems to have stopped the abusers of team up in darkmoor's graveyard. Went a bit off topic but yeah wanted to share my experience with team up.

When you have to do a hard boss or a hard dungeon, use team up. There is no other way.