Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

new spells ruining pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 12, 2009
i didnt wanna post this right away cause well, i really had no reason to not be optimistic about the situation, i believe that the gear from darkmoor is a good and welcome addition to the game, however these new spells do WAY to much damage for there pip cost, its so bad that one spell can drastically switch the game into ones favor for such a low pip cost. This is making lvl 100 matches less enjoyable (particularly cause balance got the best spell once again) because the matches are just way to luck based. Shadow pips are another reason these spells are such a problem, there WAY TO EASY TO GET and thats to the point were max lvl pvp is becoming strictly luck based were as before these spells it actually took some skill clever deck setups and unique combo's of gear. Not only is this ruining max lvl pvp almost entirly but its really affecting the lvl 50's and 60's at high ratings. My lvl 60 is rated at slightly more then 2100 and i face max lvls all the time, now not only do i have to worry about not being able to block them as well as shadow shrike, but spells that can often kill me even without a critical in one hit (depening on the persons pierce) for example my myth (my lvl 60) has about 2750 health with all my pvp gear. I have 50 resist. But say a fire goes first against me and is max lvl, they get a shadow pip and have a pip deck they draw an enchant and fire from above they have 85 damage boost and 30 pierce (easily possible with the new gear) that spell alone if it doesnt critical will do about 2100-2350 damage. Now that may not kill me but it puts me into a position were from second i have no time to react and the next turn they can fire elf and likely kill me that way and this is not even using critical in the equation. That is just way to overpowered.
I beleive to fix this these spells should either be no pvp, or should be nerfed somehow such as maybe raising the pip cost to 7 or 8, lowering the damage dramatically or well, thats it just raising the pip cost lowering the damage or making them no pvp.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I am not sure how to proceed with updating the new spells, but I agree with your point that Shadow pips are too easy to get. The percentage must remain very low, or else KI muddies up the game and exhausts their new battle statistic that is barely a year old.

If I had a say in this, I'd consider making Shadow pips dependent on something other than chance, such as using spells to cause backlash damage before earning a Shadow pip. That way, the game doesn't break simply because someone gets a lucky pip and then dropkicks you into orbit.

We can't just continue to say "well it's chance" as a scapegoat when something is bad in a game. Chance shouldn't be confused with "fair," "fun," or "wise." Besides, I suspect the algorithm that KI uses to determine whether you get a Shadow pip is inappropriate, and imo the development team needs to more seriously consider the consequences of their updates. Ever heard of focus groups, expert interviews? More work on the front end means less mess later.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
William Dawncloud on Dec 3, 2014 wrote:
i didnt wanna post this right away cause well, i really had no reason to not be optimistic about the situation, i believe that the gear from darkmoor is a good and welcome addition to the game, however these new spells do WAY to much damage for there pip cost, its so bad that one spell can drastically switch the game into ones favor for such a low pip cost. This is making lvl 100 matches less enjoyable (particularly cause balance got the best spell once again) because the matches are just way to luck based. Shadow pips are another reason these spells are such a problem, there WAY TO EASY TO GET and thats to the point were max lvl pvp is becoming strictly luck based were as before these spells it actually took some skill clever deck setups and unique combo's of gear. Not only is this ruining max lvl pvp almost entirly but its really affecting the lvl 50's and 60's at high ratings. My lvl 60 is rated at slightly more then 2100 and i face max lvls all the time, now not only do i have to worry about not being able to block them as well as shadow shrike, but spells that can often kill me even without a critical in one hit (depening on the persons pierce) for example my myth (my lvl 60) has about 2750 health with all my pvp gear. I have 50 resist. But say a fire goes first against me and is max lvl, they get a shadow pip and have a pip deck they draw an enchant and fire from above they have 85 damage boost and 30 pierce (easily possible with the new gear) that spell alone if it doesnt critical will do about 2100-2350 damage. Now that may not kill me but it puts me into a position were from second i have no time to react and the next turn they can fire elf and likely kill me that way and this is not even using critical in the equation. That is just way to overpowered.
I beleive to fix this these spells should either be no pvp, or should be nerfed somehow such as maybe raising the pip cost to 7 or 8, lowering the damage dramatically or well, thats it just raising the pip cost lowering the damage or making them no pvp.
I see no point in doing any of those.
I see your point though but that is another problem and should be looked into differently.
It's not the spells them selves that is a problem. It's the fact of how pvp works. And that is lvl 100 facing lvl 60. Which is unfair. That is the problem. Not the spells them selves.

Nicholas Star

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
KI's response would be pvp on a level 30 then the most you will face is low 80's its more possible to win and critical is less of a problem. Or they would say PVP is optional you dont have to use it LOL

I dont even pvp anymore i have a 50 and 60 both sitting at about 3k rank i only faced max wizards and guess what always lose. I can not block anything from a 500+ critical max level wizard at 50 or 60 simply put.

make pvp level based within 10 levels nothing more.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2014
Maybe you should change how yours deck setup is.

And then maybe you would starting winging again. At lvl 90 they have to us 5 pips 4 pips and 3 pips or 2 matters what lvl wizard they are and also what gear they are wearing.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
PVP is definitely not for everyone...

...but for anyone able to put on their big wizard pants and bring anything, and everything to win; shall!

Explorer
Dec 24, 2009
What your suggesting is that a spell should be nerfed, since it's too effective for it's small requirements. At level 60 I'm assuming you got Medusa recently. You remember how good it felt to beat Talos(I think that's the boss's name)? The reward you got for defeating him, didn't it feel deserved? Getting a new spell? Well, let's transfer that logic to the new spells. You get them from defeating Darkmoor for your first time. Darkmoor is a dungeon accessed at level 100, so the enemies are going to be VERY intense. It takes about 3 hours to go through with a four-player team of level 100's. Most, if not all, of the bosses cheat to add to the difficulty of the dungeon. After successfully defeating this dungeon of horror, shouldn't a SERIOUSLY good reward be deserved, maybe MORE than armor? A spell of seriously amazing power perhaps? Something that does great damage at a not so high cost seems like a well deserved reward.

As Mykola said, the problem is with the match generator, not the spells. The fact that there are level 100's fighting level 60's is a major problem in it of it's self. There's really not much of an excuse for that since the PvP system is far older than the shadow pip system. My guess as to why KI hasn't changed this is because PvP is optional, and that there's always story until the end of Khrysalis, which is at, or around level 100, which is where Darkmoor becomes available, and therefore the new spells. You can side quest, but that gets boring. Farming? Eventually you get the ideal equipment. Eventually, all roads lead to the Dueling Arena. That's an area of constant change and constant fluctuation in challenge. You never know what'll happen.

Richard Battlestone lvl 89

Survivor
Oct 15, 2014
Um that not true I don't do rank pvp like everyone else.

I am a winging it wizard that how I win in rank pvp.

Survivor
May 12, 2009
FireMorgan13 on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
What your suggesting is that a spell should be nerfed, since it's too effective for it's small requirements. At level 60 I'm assuming you got Medusa recently. You remember how good it felt to beat Talos(I think that's the boss's name)? The reward you got for defeating him, didn't it feel deserved? Getting a new spell? Well, let's transfer that logic to the new spells. You get them from defeating Darkmoor for your first time. Darkmoor is a dungeon accessed at level 100, so the enemies are going to be VERY intense. It takes about 3 hours to go through with a four-player team of level 100's. Most, if not all, of the bosses cheat to add to the difficulty of the dungeon. After successfully defeating this dungeon of horror, shouldn't a SERIOUSLY good reward be deserved, maybe MORE than armor? A spell of seriously amazing power perhaps? Something that does great damage at a not so high cost seems like a well deserved reward.

As Mykola said, the problem is with the match generator, not the spells. The fact that there are level 100's fighting level 60's is a major problem in it of it's self. There's really not much of an excuse for that since the PvP system is far older than the shadow pip system. My guess as to why KI hasn't changed this is because PvP is optional, and that there's always story until the end of Khrysalis, which is at, or around level 100, which is where Darkmoor becomes available, and therefore the new spells. You can side quest, but that gets boring. Farming? Eventually you get the ideal equipment. Eventually, all roads lead to the Dueling Arena. That's an area of constant change and constant fluctuation in challenge. You never know what'll happen.

Richard Battlestone lvl 89
well, i have a max fire and the new spells didnt really feel deserved to me even though the dungeon was insane. They put a major dent in pvp for allot of people.
And about your defeating talos comment, well to be honest as a veteran player i was hoping for way more, i remeber fighting for efreet on my fire and it taking me many tries to beat the boss and it got me so frustrated, but when i finally beat him it felt so deserved and made me gain interest in the game again but for medusa talos was way to easy for me, he didnt use myth shield witch the efreet boss did and he only had 7000 health vs the 16000 the efreet boss had when i fought him

Explorer
Dec 24, 2009
William Dawncloud on Dec 24, 2014 wrote:
well, i have a max fire and the new spells didnt really feel deserved to me even though the dungeon was insane. They put a major dent in pvp for allot of people.
And about your defeating talos comment, well to be honest as a veteran player i was hoping for way more, i remeber fighting for efreet on my fire and it taking me many tries to beat the boss and it got me so frustrated, but when i finally beat him it felt so deserved and made me gain interest in the game again but for medusa talos was way to easy for me, he didnt use myth shield witch the efreet boss did and he only had 7000 health vs the 16000 the efreet boss had when i fought him
Ok, I should admit, I've never fought Talos nor have I seen a play through of that fight. I assumed it was as painful as Efreet was to get. I've never done the new dungeon but I am watching a play through of that, so I was trying to put myself in the position of being exalted and doing that dungeon up to the spell.

However, do you agree with my point that you're fighting the wrong fight? The spells don't need fixing, but the PvP system itself. A system where a level 60 is fighting level 100's NUMEROUS times has flaws. Right now, at level 90, I have enough pierce to eliminate fortify or most of the normal armor of people under my level at about 21 armor pierce. Add infallible(15) and Shrike(50)(when I get it) to that and I'm at 86 pierce. At this point, my only flaw is my lack of resist, but if I land a critical sun serpent, my resist means nothing. If it's blocked, which would happen with people my level or better, then they'll likely live, and kill me. However, if a person is under my level, like at level 60, a critical stat of roughly 320 will be difficult to block. I doubt there a lot of level 60's with about 320 or more block to fire. My point: the level gap shouldn't be so wide as to stretch from Waterworks to Tartarus or Briskbreeze Tower to Castle Darkmoor. There are some spells and great equipment you still learn/receive in those level gaps that help in your adventure.

Richard BattleStone lvl 90

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
The last time I checked there was never a time any spell ruined PvP. I like the way Pirate101 thinks, seeing how they don't change their skills based on PvP. (Thank you RatBeard)

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
Heres a solution before you PvP get to max level, get the spell, and get darkmoor gear. Then you won't be complaining about the spells so much! Its your choice to PvP at low levels. Dont be bashing the new spells just because you dont have it. And also the balance spell is NOT the most powerful new spell. To me all the spells are pretty much equal with each other.

Mason Greenbane Exalted

Survivor
Jun 06, 2011
William Dawncloud on Dec 3, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you. For lower levels insane bolt is a problem. We don't have that much health and it is also up to chance too, which isn't fair. It can do 10, 100, or 1000, and if a higher lvl player has good damage too that could be a problem too. Just my thoughts.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2011
DarkWIZard98x on Jan 10, 2015 wrote:
Heres a solution before you PvP get to max level, get the spell, and get darkmoor gear. Then you won't be complaining about the spells so much! Its your choice to PvP at low levels. Dont be bashing the new spells just because you dont have it. And also the balance spell is NOT the most powerful new spell. To me all the spells are pretty much equal with each other.

Mason Greenbane Exalted
Some people can't get the darkmoor gear because they are not high enough lvl. People need arena tickets for pets and gear, but it is way too hard too get them. I do see what you are saying, but for some people who want to do more than simple quests, that is simply not an option.