Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How are you liking Fishing?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Hello all,

I didn't like very much this new feature, I just didn't find it interesting enough to incite us to want to fish. I really expect KI to come up with solutions that will make it more exciting and interesting. Since it has been released, I only did like two related quests and then gave up.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's something to pass the time since there's nothing left in the game to do until a new world comes out. I personally find it far less tedius than pet games, derby or PvP. Not everyone is going to like every aspect of the game. It's completely optional but it does have it's rewards, the tapestries and the crown gear and pets caught. It's really too early to judge it completely, they only added a couple quests and 4 worlds for fishing.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
SrEdu on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
Hello all,

I didn't like very much this new feature, I just didn't find it interesting enough to incite us to want to fish. I really expect KI to come up with solutions that will make it more exciting and interesting. Since it has been released, I only did like two related quests and then gave up.
Meh... it's fine but nothing to get excited about. I do like selling the fish for gold...that's handy, but won't be doing fishing on all my wizards.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
For the first week or so I debated with myself which I hated more, pet training or fishing. Pet training won out as still-most-hated, but only because I was able to get enough cuddlefish to craft my first bazaar tapestry with what I would consider a reasonable amount of time and effort. However, now that I'm trying to craft bazaar tapestries for my other wizards I've found that the respawn rate for cuddlefish on my account has dropped to practically nil, so fishing still has a chance to replace pet training as the activity I hate most in Wizard101.

Defender
Jun 29, 2014
Hello all,

No!!!!!! Fishing is fun I love it, If your bored fishing or you don't like this new feature then do something else, for me I spend my energy for fishing,cause you can even put it on a aquarium, that's what do to my fish that I catch! This new feature is kind of fun!

Survivor
Sep 09, 2012
Hello all,

It's actually very interesting (fun) once you get used to it or do it for a while. As myself I hated it at first because I NEVER could catch one but two more days it got better and was fun.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
I really don't like it very much. Maybe I'm missing something, but after spending three or four hours fishing various locations in wizard city, I have yet to catch all the fish required to complete the second quest. I even catch most of the fish that I try for- just not any different fish. Maybe some people will enjoy fishing more, but it's not my cup of tea.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
Far too many of the fish "get away", even though I'm following the instructions about waiting for the lure to go underwater. Takes WAY too long to get the Sharkspeare in Olde Town, especially since this is the first quest. I know KingsIsle uses frustration in the game, but in this case, it's just making the experience boring.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2013
Waste of time. Most fish you actually need for crafting or whatever will be so rare you can forget it unless you spend weeks fishing for the same fish

Survivor
Jul 13, 2012
have only caught one ifish which is a cuda, i dont like fishing very much

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Worst part about fishing...

Wizard City Commons! Nothing like taking your lvl90+ wizard into lowbie-land. You sure learn to choose your realms.

Funniest part about fishing...

Wizard City Commons! Hilarious how many players don't realize they "disappear" when they come to close to your fishing wizard.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Fishing may be necessary for crafting; but I'm ok skipping it altogether.

You may get a steady stream of requests to help other wizards. In this case, remember to place your wizard in hidden mode to fish uninterrupted; and take yourself out of hidden mode when you finish.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
I don't like fishing.

The first assignment should be fairly easy.

It isn't. Trying to catch the Sharkspeare in Olde Towne is nye on impossible. Just trying to find an ice fish in all the balance fish (yeah, and having to buy the spell in order to find that) is hard enough, but even then, it turns out to be some other type of fish.

Same with the catfish. Trying to catch a fire fish amongst all the balance and ice fish in the Commons...bleh.

I can't even rid myself of the quest. It just sits there, getting in the way.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
I am so loving the fishing !! So much so, I find myself forgetting to do my quests :)

Survivor
Jul 05, 2014
It's really annoying that it takes 5 - 7 seldom seen and HARD to catch fish to make just ONE mega snack in this "new wave" of crafting with fish ingredients ! A mega snack should never use any more than ONE fish IMHO .
KI might consider using the easily available "school specific" barracuda or de koi fish for use in snack recipes . This would be a good reason for people to spend their crowns buying potions and elixirs rather than just throwing up their hands in despair and dumping fishing as a pastime altogether . Lets face it you can buy the mega snacks package and know what your getting rather than wasting your time fishing to craft snack recipes as it is .

KI - drop the 5-7 rare fish to make a snack thing , it's a bad idea !

Survivor
Mar 19, 2012
At first I thought fishing might be worth the effort if all you were trying to do was make gold. But now I find it tedious and a waste of time. I have tried catching specific fish for crafting, such as brain sturgeon and bubba fish, and have wasted 100 energy going from realm to realm casting reveal fish spells only to find that these fish do not exist in the areas they are supposed to. Fishing seems to be just another activity Wizard101 has introduced to try to get us to spend crowns refreshing energy and buying tanks that are useless. I am once again disappointed in Wizard 101's attempt to improve the game.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Max DeGroot on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:
I don't like fishing.

The first assignment should be fairly easy.

It isn't. Trying to catch the Sharkspeare in Olde Towne is nye on impossible. Just trying to find an ice fish in all the balance fish (yeah, and having to buy the spell in order to find that) is hard enough, but even then, it turns out to be some other type of fish.

Same with the catfish. Trying to catch a fire fish amongst all the balance and ice fish in the Commons...bleh.

I can't even rid myself of the quest. It just sits there, getting in the way.
After you cast the Reveal Spell school, run around in the pond to scare away all the fish of other schools. Repeat until all that's left is the school of the fish that you want.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Kikaha Balanceboot... on Mar 8, 2015 wrote:
It's really annoying that it takes 5 - 7 seldom seen and HARD to catch fish to make just ONE mega snack in this "new wave" of crafting with fish ingredients ! A mega snack should never use any more than ONE fish IMHO .
KI might consider using the easily available "school specific" barracuda or de koi fish for use in snack recipes . This would be a good reason for people to spend their crowns buying potions and elixirs rather than just throwing up their hands in despair and dumping fishing as a pastime altogether . Lets face it you can buy the mega snacks package and know what your getting rather than wasting your time fishing to craft snack recipes as it is .

KI - drop the 5-7 rare fish to make a snack thing , it's a bad idea !
Unless it's your first wizard, there's no reason to do other than level up in gardening - nothing beats the Mega snacks you get from gardening. In comparison, crafting snacks (much less using fish) simply takes too long with too few snacks resulting.

The best Mega-snack giving plants: Prickly Bear Cactus from the bazaar, Couch Potatoes from drops, and Evil Magma Peas (save your crowns to eventually buy as many EMPs as you can).

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Angelic One on Mar 15, 2015 wrote:
At first I thought fishing might be worth the effort if all you were trying to do was make gold. But now I find it tedious and a waste of time. I have tried catching specific fish for crafting, such as brain sturgeon and bubba fish, and have wasted 100 energy going from realm to realm casting reveal fish spells only to find that these fish do not exist in the areas they are supposed to. Fishing seems to be just another activity Wizard101 has introduced to try to get us to spend crowns refreshing energy and buying tanks that are useless. I am once again disappointed in Wizard 101's attempt to improve the game.
As I'm sure you know, every type of fish isn't always in each group of fish that spawn. As far as those you mentioned:

- Brain Sturgeons are easily found in the Fishing Retreat. If you or a friend don't have one, you could ask on one of the fansites to get access to a Retreat. It's also in Krok's Emperor's Retreat, and the Krokosphinx Entrance Hall (only in the Entrance Hall pool to the right, but it also takes a lot of Summon Fish respawns until a Life fish shows up).

- Bubba Fish are Epic Fish, so expect to visit Mooshu's Shoshun Village at least several times before you catch it. Many people take months of off and on effort to catch Epic fish. If it was easy, what would be the point? ;)

When you enter a new fishing area for the first time on a wizard, watch for the fish you're waiting for to load at the upper left of the screen - then, particularly with the Epic fish, you'll know when it finally shows up!