Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Common Courtesy, Wizard 101-style

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2013
I've been playing Wizard 101 for over a year, and most of the players I've met have been great people - fun, willing to share, and courteous. But these good folks make those few who have no consideration for their fellow players seem even more obnoxious. So I thought I'd put together the beginning of a Wizard 101 Code of Common Courtesy for Players. I say a beginning, because I'm sure that others will think of things that I haven't yet, especially since I solo, so I have little experience with friends. So here is my beginning, a list in no particular order:

* Use courtesy that you would use in real life. Say please and thank you. Smile :) Congratulate people for accomplishments. Etc.
* Don't run through people, even though that's easy to do, unless you can't help it. That shows disrespect for the player you trampled on.
* If you see a player talking to an NPC that you also need to speak with, don't jump in between them. That is rude.
* If you see a player talking to a spell-giving minion, don't jump in between them. That's even more rude, as that player will never get to see that scene again.
* Don't join a battle without asking first if it's OK. Give the original player a little time to answer before you jump in. If you're asked to join, thank the person. If they don't respond, join, but say something like "Sorry" or "Hope it's OK".
* Don't join a battle unless you plan to stay until the end of it. If you're accidentally pulled into the battle, then stay and finish it out. After all, you've given the original player a new enemy.
* If, in a joint battle, you have a really cool spell you want to throw, but it takes a lot of pips, don't keep passing and passing, just to get enough pips to cast that spell. That is selfish and boastful, and it forces the rest of the players to take up the slack in the fighting. (Unless, of course, you have their permission for that.)
* If you don't want to be friends with someone who asks, be nice about how you reject them. Don't just say "No thanks" and leave.
* If you have a giant mount, don't park on top of or next to someone. The wings (or whatever) of your mount obscures their view of the game.
* If you set your character to spinning so you can go off-keyboard for a bit, do it in an open area. Don't do it in front of a place where active players want to stand (for example, in front of a Pet Pavilion game).
* When you are fishing, don't port in or out in the immediate area of the fishing hole. The flash of the porting can blind the people who are fishing, causing them to miss that crucial second when the lure goes down.
* Don't go to a player's house unless they say it's OK, even if you've been there before.

Anyone have other courtesies to list?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
A lot of this list isn't courtesy at all. It's self centered peeves that you have. Me talking to an NPC at the same as you doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever. Me passing through you on the street has no effect on your game at all. If someone is spinning where you don't like seeing it, change realms. The spinning doesn't affect your ability to interact with pet games or dungeons at all. If you don't want to add a friend from low level friend spammers, click no, there's no need to say anything. They didn't ask you to friend them first, you owe no explaination. Saving pips for a one hit kill all isn't rude at all, it's smart and there's no need to ask permission to prepare your own attack. I understand your point of trying to bring better manners to the spiral, but much of what you suggest isn't realistic or actual "courtesy".

Survivor
Mar 22, 2013
Apparently I have a more old-fashioned idea of courtesy than you do, seethe42.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Not at all, I just have an understanding of the difference between courtesy and annoyances. Just because something annoys you doesn't mean the other person is being rude or lacks courtesy. Nearly everything in that list are just little peeves that annoy you and have nothing to do with others actually being rude. Someone spinning to keep their game connection alive while away from the keyboard isn't done to annoy you or be rude or actually affect you in any way at all. It doesn't affect you. Moving through crowds of people in a game, when the game is designed to allow you to pass through each other is not rude. I agree with points about finishing a battle even if it was an accident and such. The vast majority of that list has really nothing to do with old-fashioned or common courtesy though.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
dragonfare on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard 101 for over a year, and most of the players I've met have been great people - fun, willing to share, and courteous. But these good folks make those few who have no consideration for their fellow players seem even more obnoxious. So I thought I'd put together the beginning of a Wizard 101 Code of Common Courtesy for Players. I say a beginning, because I'm sure that others will think of things that I haven't yet, especially since I solo, so I have little experience with friends. So here is my beginning, a list in no particular order:

* Use courtesy that you would use in real life. Say please and thank you. Smile :) Congratulate people for accomplishments. Etc.
* Don't run through people, even though that's easy to do, unless you can't help it. That shows disrespect for the player you trampled on.
* If you see a player talking to an NPC that you also need to speak with, don't jump in between them. That is rude.
* If you see a player talking to a spell-giving minion, don't jump in between them. That's even more rude, as that player will never get to see that scene again.
* Don't join a battle without asking first if it's OK. Give the original player a little time to answer before you jump in. If you're asked to join, thank the person. If they don't respond, join, but say something like "Sorry" or "Hope it's OK".
* Don't join a battle unless you plan to stay until the end of it. If you're accidentally pulled into the battle, then stay and finish it out. After all, you've given the original player a new enemy.
* If, in a joint battle, you have a really cool spell you want to throw, but it takes a lot of pips, don't keep passing and passing, just to get enough pips to cast that spell. That is selfish and boastful, and it forces the rest of the players to take up the slack in the fighting. (Unless, of course, you have their permission for that.)
* If you don't want to be friends with someone who asks, be nice about how you reject them. Don't just say "No thanks" and leave.
* If you have a giant mount, don't park on top of or next to someone. The wings (or whatever) of your mount obscures their view of the game.
* If you set your character to spinning so you can go off-keyboard for a bit, do it in an open area. Don't do it in front of a place where active players want to stand (for example, in front of a Pet Pavilion game).
* When you are fishing, don't port in or out in the immediate area of the fishing hole. The flash of the porting can blind the people who are fishing, causing them to miss that crucial second when the lure goes down.
* Don't go to a player's house unless they say it's OK, even if you've been there before.

Anyone have other courtesies to list?
First, the "Don't run through people" suggestion. When I am speeding my way through the Commons, and five players have parked themselves directly in front of say, the entrance to Ravenwood, I'm not sure how I can avoid running through them. If people choose to chat right in the middle of a high traffic area, they're going to get run over. Secondly, the AFK spinning. I do try to AFK in out-of-the-way places, but sometimes, I have to leave at that moment, wherever I am. As See wrote, that spinning doesn't affect your game. Truly, almost none of these affect gameplay, but I do understand what you mean.

I would add begging to that list. Why people think that spamming "Do you have crowns-buy me a house/pet/card pack/wand/etc." is perfectly acceptable is beyond me. I wrote in another thread-if those people see someone with a Corvette, do they run up to said person, and ask "Nice car, can you buy me one?"

As an adult, I do my best to be courteous, and respectful of the fact that I am one of millions of people playing this game. And I see others doing the same, which is always nice.
Erin Ice Weaver
Erin Dusk Weaver (yay for imaginative names lol)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It's obvious some are lacking courtesy. I realize some grew up in the "I want it now" and the "I don't care" generation, but some of us players try to show courtesy to others. It might not mean much to some that don't understand what courtesy is, but to others, it's the simple gestures, even in a computer game, that make a difference.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for giving me a chance at a rebuttal. (That "self centered" kinda stung.) First let me say that you are probably right about some of my topics. I do tend to get pet peeves, yup. But I think I must not have been too clear about some of it. With a few exceptions, none of my peeves/list involve interference with my playing the game, only enjoying the game. I should mention that, first, I'm not young, second, this is the only MMORPG I've ever played, and third, I don't play for goals like getting to level 100, but rather for the fun and adventure that KingsIsle has provided. So we may have different perspectives, and I appreciate hearing yours. (Yes, really.)

Let me give just one example, however, about how I think I haven't communicated my point very well. Take spinning. I'm not against it, as you seem to think - in fact, I do it, quite often. I'm just irritated when someone is spinning in a place that blocks my vision of where I need to go or something I need to see or do. I only ask that you move a few steps to one side of the traffic area. Then spin all you want!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Both of you make good points; here are my 2 cents:

Congratulating people on their accomplishments (level up, nice hit, close shave, etc.) and asking before joining battles are all common courtesy. Not mandatory, but simply the polite thing to do.

On the other hand, I agree with Seethe42 that minor issues like people going AFK ("spinning") do not affect you. Yes, someone parking her oversized mount right on top of mine is annoying, but it's not going to alter my game-play.

-von

Explorer
May 08, 2014
Aloha!

I agree with some on your list and i can see you trying to make a point. The only thing you got to remember is that this game was meant for the younger kids so there will be young kids roaming/questing by them self and not knowing it is a rude thing they did. Just mute or move another change realm. Most players seem behaved so I am not too worried about a bad online community, compared to all the other MMOs i tried (maple story, World of Warcraft, etc) and i am Adult gamer so I been around the online community quite awhile.

Spinning is something i do all the time and i see others do it too, i havent noticed it bothering me as i enjoy watching their pets or mount spin, some looks cool to me :P

Joining battles and leaving when you mistaking get pulled into someone's mob is pretty rude or annoying especially if the person is solo. I have this done to me many times and i wish there was a system that allows the person to start a battle without having others join it, unless with permission, that would be cool to see. Not really a big deal for me since i never did die from it and some actually benefit me (i am Death Wiz main so my sustain is great for these situations, others not too sure of) for that extra 'have to kill X amount of mob' type of quests.

Joint battles and wanting to cast your skill but have to wait doesnt seem rude to me, because you are already helping the other person with your part of the skills. Unless that person is waiting to cast something unnecessary and wasting your skills, then that is annoying. Like casting death magic on a death mob with no convert, and the other person had traps on the mob... then that is being rude, especially if not asking first.

I usually run into other's battle without permission, but only if i know that person will not die or if that person is low i can try help by healing or helping killing the mob. Usually i want people to join my battles that require X amount of mobs to be killed.

Mahalos for the thread