Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Magic Isn't Moon Magic

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
This is just some food for thought:

A lot of players say Shadow Magic is like Moon magic. Yes, currently, like Moon, Shadow Magic changes the Wizard into a new form, but enchances your spells rather than gaining a new deck. But I get the feeling that people are going to expect this type of format in Shadow Magic as we progress through Khrysalis. I'm just going to put my thoughts on this...

From the words of Sofia Darkside, she said, "...Now the two are forever intertwined in this place. Moon magic is about changing forms. But Shadow magic is about rebuilding reality." Think of Shadow Magic like this:

Imagine finding an old train, taking it apart and rebuilding it as something new, like a cannon or a fort. That is the idea behind Shadow Magic.

Moon Magic involves polymorphing and granting you a new form, with a different deck and stats that can help the group. Shadow Magic took that idea, ripped it apart, and rebuilt it as changing your form, but giving you bigger boosts instead of a deck.

As we were told a little after completing the Eclipse Tower, Morganthe corrupted the Radiant Alcazar (Star Magic), and the Solar Arch (Sun Magic) with Shadow Magic. So, let's break this down:

Star magic is about enhancing the Wizard. Shadow Magic will most likely take that concept, and reinvent it. I'm guessing Shadow-corrupted-Star spells will majorly boost the Wizard. If you notice, each of the 3 Shadow Self spells effect the team: Shadow Shrike gives +10% Pierce to team, Shadow Seraph gives an Absorb to team, Shadow Sentinel intercepts damage on team. Moon spells excels in group play. Star magic excels at effecting just the 1 Wizard. Shadow magic will probably find a way to really break the 4th wall on that concept.

Sun magic is about enchanting individual spells. It may be increasing damage, accuracy & pierce, adding more percentage, or even mutating the spell. My guess is Shadow magic will change Sun magic in away were it may both mutate and enhance the spell. But going back to every spell and making a Shadow version of it is very time consuming (possible, but not needed). We could see the return of Sun enchants like Simplify and Elucidate as Shadow spells. Or maybe we'll see something just completely different. Unlike Star and Moon, Sun doesn't last over rounds, it's used in 1 go. So that effects the idea of Backlash for Shadow Magic. I have 2 guesses though:

1.) Shadow-corrupted-Sun spells will enchant other Shadow spells rather than multiple spells
2.) Sun magic will be so bright and powerful, that it may become this "Light magic" many players covet.

What Shadow magic will do in Sun magic, I've yet to determined. But I do know all Shadow spells need a Shadow Pip to be casted, so Shadow enchants will most likely be effected by that.
I'm also curious if we're still getting free spells based on our schools. We'll have to wait and see

Thanks for reading!

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Well first off

magic is absolutely useless in all aspects. Except for 's spell Insane bolt, other than that there is no purpose for this school.

and are both great schools that can boost you in different ways.

Shadow Magic should not be expanded upon and go into Shadow and Shadow .

We don't need that garbage. Shadow Magic shouldn't have been created in the first place as it's insanely overpowered with a "TICKLE" of a drawback that makes the spell immensely overpowered in the first place.

50% pierce lol need I say more?

They honestly should scrap this Shadow idea, make it NO PVP and have it for quests so you can fight your own school boss, instead of needed a prism every time.

Shadow Magic does not belong in the arena in its current state, AT ALL.

It's a game and fun killer.

Cast shrike, stay alive, don't fizzle, and YOU WIN! Automatic.

And people want to complain about Guadian Spirit and Beguile as being overpowered when this Shadow Magic exists!

SMH!

I really hope you're wrong and they drop this whole Shadow Magic idea don't expand on it.

It was a bust, and then should just accept that and move on to create worthwhile things not random thought up ideas with a lack of BALANCED FUNCTION. It's like they rolled the dice with random ideas and Shadow Magic was selected at random, without considering its consequences. Shadow Magic needs to go, or at least be weakned to the point you can play against without the mindless "strategy" that people claim exists. Keeping them from casting a spell every time they Shadow form isn't strategy. It's getting lucky they couldn't cast a spell and fizzled or were stunned.

Let's be honest here. That is no strategy, that's just pray you don't get hit until it ends and they can take their 300 or so odd damage (because that balances it out so wonderfully.)

Maybe if they fizz enough times in Shadow form you can have that 300 damage or so take them to 0 health.

LOL
All true Rant over

Historian
May 06, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:
Well first off

magic is absolutely useless in all aspects. Except for 's spell Insane bolt, other than that there is no purpose for this school.

and are both great schools that can boost you in different ways.

Shadow Magic should not be expanded upon and go into Shadow and Shadow .

We don't need that garbage. Shadow Magic shouldn't have been created in the first place as it's insanely overpowered with a "TICKLE" of a drawback that makes the spell immensely overpowered in the first place.

50% pierce lol need I say more?

They honestly should scrap this Shadow idea, make it NO PVP and have it for quests so you can fight your own school boss, instead of needed a prism every time.

Shadow Magic does not belong in the arena in its current state, AT ALL.

It's a game and fun killer.

Cast shrike, stay alive, don't fizzle, and YOU WIN! Automatic.

And people want to complain about Guadian Spirit and Beguile as being overpowered when this Shadow Magic exists!

SMH!

I really hope you're wrong and they drop this whole Shadow Magic idea don't expand on it.

It was a bust, and then should just accept that and move on to create worthwhile things not random thought up ideas with a lack of BALANCED FUNCTION. It's like they rolled the dice with random ideas and Shadow Magic was selected at random, without considering its consequences. Shadow Magic needs to go, or at least be weakned to the point you can play against without the mindless "strategy" that people claim exists. Keeping them from casting a spell every time they Shadow form isn't strategy. It's getting lucky they couldn't cast a spell and fizzled or were stunned.

Let's be honest here. That is no strategy, that's just pray you don't get hit until it ends and they can take their 300 or so odd damage (because that balances it out so wonderfully.)

Maybe if they fizz enough times in Shadow form you can have that 300 damage or so take them to 0 health.

LOL
All true Rant over
3 Months out and the post is back. Amazing...
Keep in mind, I made this post when Shadow Magic was still fresh and being tested on.

" magic is absolutely useless in all aspects. Except for 's spell Insane bolt, other than that there is no purpose for this school."

I'm not sure where this comment comes from at all as I was focused on aspects of Shadow Magic mirroring the Astral spells. Maybe in your split second rage vent you forgot that? I completely disagree with that statement because I've effectively used Moon spells in their proper place: Group Play! I can't tell you how many times Polymorph Jaguar's been a boon to healing my Team when they need it. You're viewpoint seems very...one-sided (for lack of a better word).

" and are both great schools that can boost you in different ways."
Wonderful! Now tell me in how they can majorly help the Group like Moon can and not just 1 person.

Every time you mentioned "Shadow Magic", I really think you should replace "Magic" with "Shrike" because it's too obvious that Shrike is the only spell that gets you flustered about Shadow Magic. Honestly, have you gone against anyone who uses Shadow Sentinel or Shadow Seraph and comes with the same results?

Your impulsive backlashes (no pun intended) against Shadow Magic are, frankly, getting annoying. All you ever do and all you ever say is how much you hate Shadow Magic (*cough* Shrike *cough) and how bad the experience of the magic has been for you. When you can tell me at least 1 million Wizards who really and truly suffer from Shadow Magic, then I'd more than gladly agree with your claims, but just ranting, calling it stupid, and possibly undermining the devs is childish and solves NOTHING.

I don't believe Shadow Shrike or Shadow Magic is a bust but what I do believe is that the power of Shadow Shrike has created a Shadow Scare (reference to the Red Scare) over Shadow Magic and KI's pushes for fast pased game play are too overbearing for the not-so-fast-paced duelists in PvP.

I'm just stating a theory on the future of Shadow Magic. It's obvious that Khrysalis is introducing Shadow Magic and is going to disperse it across the world. I highly doubt KI is just going to drop Shadow Magic (especially in the ways you've "suggested") and I'm confident more is to come (whether or not more will mirror Shrike has yet to be seen).

Though, possible solutions could be:
-Putting a 'No PvP' flag on all Shadow Magic is 1 option.
-Possibly making a "No Shadow Magic" Tourney or PvP set up is another idea.
-Nerfing Shadow Shrike to +25% Pierce or removing the +50% Pierce and increase the damage to +25% and add in the hidden effect (+10% Pierce on Damage) on the card is also a possibility.
-Increasing Backlash to +40 is another idea
-Add a counter to Shadow Shrike

I think there are a lot more less damaging ways to solve this than your rash ones. Some people happen to like Shadow Magic.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
The recipe for shadow magic:
Take one star card
Take one moon card
Get some shadow oil (about ten drops)
Get parchment

In card crafting station, mix cards and shadow oil thoroughly. Dip in parchment (to create card). Leave in darkness for an hour, and put in spell deck.

The part above was a small joke, but I do see shadow magic as moon and star magic as a combination to shadow magic. It makes your stats boost or decrease for a number of rounds (star magic) and changes your form with new stats and ability (moon magic). I don't see how the sun magic will be tied in, but someone else may see a connection.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Ehhh, Shadow Magic needs to be removed not tweaked or altered. Removed. If they keep expanding on more nonsense Shadow Magic stuff I will be done with this game. It's taken all strategy out completely.

Shadow Magic made the game worse.

Ban Shadow Magic immediately. Thank You.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
Ehhh, Shadow Magic needs to be removed not tweaked or altered. Removed. If they keep expanding on more nonsense Shadow Magic stuff I will be done with this game. It's taken all strategy out completely.

Lol here we go again....How many counters do you need to shadow shrike? Let's list them
1)Stuns
2)Accuracy Debuffs
3)Dispels
4)Negative Charms
5)Beguile
6)Out healing the attacks
7)Aggressive Playstyle
8)Dual Shielding

How many drawbacks does it need? Let's list them
1)Backlash
2)Need a Shadow Pip
3)Deck Space limits
4)Locks you into a particular playstyle
5)Negative Effect

Shadow magic is excellent in the form it is and was an excellent addition to PvP. It does not need to be removed or altered in any way shape or form.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

If Shadow Magic is so bad for you, then don't use it.

But, then again, you're talking about PvP, which is the bane of most of our existence. PvP isn't what W101 is based on. It's PvE. So, if you don't like it, then don't use it.

I frankly don't care for the Shadow Magic, so I've never used it. To me, it's pointless. Shadow Magic, just like many other useless PvE spells, was made for PvP to make it "more interesting". It didn't need to be created, it just adds more clutter and idiocy to my deck setup.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Finnigan,

Great post on Shadow magic. While it is obvious that there will be more Shadow magic spells, I honestly never thought they could be aligned along the Astral schools. I wondered why there was so much Moon talk related to Eclipse Tower, but dismissed it as a way to explain the form changing. After your post, it does make sense future Shadow spells could be somewhat related to the other Astral schools.

BTW, I too effectively use Moon spells in group play. As a Myth wizard, the Moon school is a great compliment (a Medusa before a polymorph allows for pip building and form changing). I still haven't got it to work all that great solo with just my minion (not because of the school, but rather the minion getting and keeping aggro for six rounds) and I would never use it in PvP, but with one or three other real-life players it can be very versatile.

Historian
May 06, 2009

"If they keep expanding on more nonsense Shadow Magic stuff I will be done with this game."

Well, from this statement, it would appear your days with the game are becoming numbered. I think KI is past the point of no return to just stop with Shadow Magic. But who knows? The future's never written in stone. For you, Shadow Magic made your gameplay in PvP worse, too sans thought fast-paced, and now you hate it. I don't think Shadow Magic is the number 1 cause of any problems. Where were you when Aquila released all that offensive themed gear that added to the mix? Where were you when Khrysalis released Crowns gear that gave schools the ability to have 300+ Critical rating? But You're fixed in this 1 mindset and, like a tennis ball cannon, only shoot in 1 direction.

I would prefer a fix to Shadow Magic or really nothing at all. I love Shadow Sentinel more than anything and I'd hate to see that go because it's such a good group spell.

But I don't believe Shadow Magic (Shadow Shrike) is at fault here. What KI should have done instead of going overboard with offensive power, was reduce the power of defensive gear. At one point we had too long battles and unbearable situations in both PvP and PvE. Now, we're just going too fast as though we're pushing a brick wall. So I would think from going fromw 1 extreme to the other, KI would work to find that middle ground. Are people going to get pissed off their chops? Probably, but the end result should be a more effiencient and fun styled game play. Any disagreements there?

So I'm going to ignore your one-sided claims. KI really just needs to re-adjust a whole lot of things like:

-Tweaks to Aquilan and Crown Shop gear to have more Resist and Block as well as Crit and Pierce reductions.
-Introduction of just a little more defensive styled gear in worlds
-Increase the power of Shadow Sentinel and Shadow Seraph to make more practical counters to Shadow Shrike

PvP is in a runt over excessive offensive trends and if things need to get more balanced, KI just needs to tone down Defensive and Offensive powers so that niether over power each other and battles don't go on for 1.5 seconds or 24 hours. People generally want a fair timed battle (in PvP and PvE) where they can enjoy the battle, show off their skills, and not be stressed out or over frustrated.

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
To be honest the kid is right shadow strike is extreamely and completely broken not because it makes the game fast paced but because any noobish player can cast it and spam to win instead of actually using any stratedgy which takes away from the game not to mention the other shadow spells are completely and totally no match what so ever for combatting strike which makes things even worse cause it shows how over powered the spell actually is compared to its counter parts.
I know both sides of the argument and even trying to stun or accuracy debuff the shadow strike user doesnt matter cause their backlash is still reduced even if they fizz which is stupid even though it doesnt physically show as minus 10 at the end of the shadow forms turn it doesnt deal the full damage they should take from not attacking or blading for 3 turns and to be generally honest its not fair for people to get cheap wins that they honestly dont earn due to this cheap mechanic in conjunction with crits that are too high to be blocked as well as their being no counter to piercing.
In a game like this there should always be a power struggle to decide who wins so this way it would be fair due to the better player overpowering the weaker player and not this cheap piercing no block spamming trash they call pvp now.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Rikudo Sennin on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
To be honest the kid is right shadow strike is extreamely and completely broken not because it makes the game fast paced but because any noobish player can cast it and spam to win instead of actually using any stratedgy which takes away from the game not to mention the other shadow spells are completely and totally no match what so ever for combatting strike which makes things even worse cause it shows how over powered the spell actually is compared to its counter parts.
I know both sides of the argument and even trying to stun or accuracy debuff the shadow strike user doesnt matter cause their backlash is still reduced even if they fizz which is stupid even though it doesnt physically show as minus 10 at the end of the shadow forms turn it doesnt deal the full damage they should take from not attacking or blading for 3 turns and to be generally honest its not fair for people to get cheap wins that they honestly dont earn due to this cheap mechanic in conjunction with crits that are too high to be blocked as well as their being no counter to piercing.
In a game like this there should always be a power struggle to decide who wins so this way it would be fair due to the better player overpowering the weaker player and not this cheap piercing no block spamming trash they call pvp now.
What is a cheap win? Why is relying on critical to take down an opponent "noobish"? If the backlash is not adding correctly that is a bug that should be looked at. No counter to pierce? How about a shield, dual shield, a charm debuff?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Shadow magic is fine. Actually better than fine; Shrike has restored balance by offering a counter to "turtles". Thanks KI!

Historian
May 15, 2009
Gemma Luna pretty much spelt it out in terms of PvP shadow magic.

I have had quite a number of matches where I was unable to win because I went up against these 'turtles'/ they were players who put so much emphasis into defense I couldn't do a thing. i'd have some matches where the resist was over 70 or even 80 percent. on a rare occasion is was 90% or total immunity.

shrike gives players like me a chance to cut down that resist by a huge portion and while I don't typically enjoy PvP it is nice to play once in a while, but not if I can't even get through a few points of damage because I get turtles with ridiculous amounts of resist make them unbeatable.