Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crown Shop...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
What happened to the crown shop?! I bought crowns tonight excited to buy some cool stuff and I was bummed out. What happened to the gear that is better than what you can get in the game? The crown shop is not what it use to be. I just returned after being off the game for almost two years. Come on KI I know you can do better. You need gear better than Water Works gear. What's the point of buying crowns if I can't get gear better than what I find in the game? Come on, kick it up a few notches.

Chelsea Titanwhisper
Level 80 balance

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
At level 80 some people are still finding that their ww gear is better than anything they could wear until around 84 when they can craft azteca gear.

Even then, the Az gear is overall better, but requires some tradeoffs in certain areas: you gain a lot of health and crit/crit blocking, but may take a minor but perceptible loss in accuracy, pip chance, damage, or global resist.

Only some crown gear offers an improvement in some aspects over Az gear. A crown wand is probably the biggest priority since many crown wands offer significant crit and crit blocking.

The real sad part is that you can get crown gear when you need it, but have to wait until you're almost done with Az to get access to the crafting.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
I have lost interest in crafting after legendary. They need better gear that has higher universal shields. I really wish there was also items to start out battles with more power pips. I am at the end of Avalon and I think we should be able to start out with at least half of what the bosses have. Please, bring these items to the crown shop.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i agree completely with crunkatog's assessment; i have 3 wizards over level 60, all of whom are still in full or partial waterworks gear. and, to be quite honest, I think things are fine as they are.

there are already certain aspects of the game, like pvp, where spending real money is a requirement to rank up~ for pve players, it only becomes a problem in azteca, when bosses and mobs have steroid health and help from friends is not an option (those level 88 solo 3-on-1 battles are pure evil, when you're in second position). the beauty of crowns is that they are (usually) not required to progress in game, and it should stay that way.

-von

90 and
31 and

Survivor
May 16, 2013
Chelseawhisper on May 30, 2013 wrote:
What happened to the crown shop?! I bought crowns tonight excited to buy some cool stuff and I was bummed out. What happened to the gear that is better than what you can get in the game? The crown shop is not what it use to be. I just returned after being off the game for almost two years. Come on KI I know you can do better. You need gear better than Water Works gear. What's the point of buying crowns if I can't get gear better than what I find in the game? Come on, kick it up a few notches.

Chelsea Titanwhisper
Level 80 balance
My Death Commander uses the following: Crafted Boots from Avalon, Hangman's Cape (WaterWorks), Hangman's Hood (WaterWorks).

My Ice Warlord uses this: Avalon crafted Hat, Avalon crafted Robes, and Frostbit Boots (WaterWorks)

However, you are balance. My brother who has a Balance Warlord uses all crafted gear.

Waterworks is still useful in the long run. Don't underestimate it.

But what you're looking for is crafted gear. Many consider it to be the next step up from WaterWorks gear. (I know, some people hate crafting but its useful, sorry Von!)

Wolf Skullslinger (or as my name suggests, Wolf Legend), Thaumaturge by Trade

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
Dr Von on May 31, 2013 wrote:
i agree completely with crunkatog's assessment; i have 3 wizards over level 60, all of whom are still in full or partial waterworks gear. and, to be quite honest, I think things are fine as they are.

there are already certain aspects of the game, like pvp, where spending real money is a requirement to rank up~ for pve players, it only becomes a problem in azteca, when bosses and mobs have steroid health and help from friends is not an option (those level 88 solo 3-on-1 battles are pure evil, when you're in second position). the beauty of crowns is that they are (usually) not required to progress in game, and it should stay that way.

-von

90 and
31 and
I disagree, the option to pay to progress in the game should be an option for people that buy crowns. I am in the Catacombs in Azteca and so far with the exception of Black Annie and Jabbarwock I have soloed all of Avalon. I am not underestimating WW gear. It's gotten me this far. Like I said with the progressively more challenging bosses as nearing Azteca there should be an option for people to purchase stroger gear if they want to. What does being balance have to do with it?

Survivor
Jul 23, 2012
Well sorry to disagree but, if there was stronger gear in the crown shop than can be found anywhere else pvp would become quite a pain..... speaking for myself, I bought membership so I wouldn't have to deal with crowns, so I don't want to have to go and spend more money just to have a fighting chance in pvp....I already feel kind of outmatched by the super pets and such.... I finally feel like I have a chance with the recent updates so new, higher ranking gear from crowns shop would feel like a step backwards to me.... Sorry.....

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Chelseawhisper on Jun 2, 2013 wrote:
I disagree, the option to pay to progress in the game should be an option for people that buy crowns. I am in the Catacombs in Azteca and so far with the exception of Black Annie and Jabbarwock I have soloed all of Avalon. I am not underestimating WW gear. It's gotten me this far. Like I said with the progressively more challenging bosses as nearing Azteca there should be an option for people to purchase stroger gear if they want to. What does being balance have to do with it?
and again, i disagree.

as a player who does buy crowns on occasion, i don't feel they should be required to progress in-game; the divide between those who have extra cash to throw around and those who don't is wide enough as it is, thanks to things like hoard packs, and it will only grow wider if your proposed changes take effect.

back when i was a little wizard, i couldn't buy perfect stats... i had to work for them. and that's precisely the problem with the direction this game is taking. the instant-gratification generation that this game is (mostly) aimed at is used to getting what they want, when they want it, and money power has become an almost-essential component of gameplay. like, there's already an xp-boost elixir~ what's next, the ability to buy levels or skip entire worlds for crowns? let's just say that, when that day comes, i'll be moving on.

-v.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dr Von on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
and again, i disagree.

as a player who does buy crowns on occasion, i don't feel they should be required to progress in-game; the divide between those who have extra cash to throw around and those who don't is wide enough as it is, thanks to things like hoard packs, and it will only grow wider if your proposed changes take effect.

back when i was a little wizard, i couldn't buy perfect stats... i had to work for them. and that's precisely the problem with the direction this game is taking. the instant-gratification generation that this game is (mostly) aimed at is used to getting what they want, when they want it, and money power has become an almost-essential component of gameplay. like, there's already an xp-boost elixir~ what's next, the ability to buy levels or skip entire worlds for crowns? let's just say that, when that day comes, i'll be moving on.

-v.
I agree with you on this. Over the past few days my husband and I attempted to defeat the 3 monsters to unlock and Obelisk for the Star Spells in Cenote. After many attempts I finally did submit to buying Henchmen for us. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I decided we can no longer quest in Azteca. I totally realize this world is way over my head in what I can do or figure out in the game.

I have researched till I am blind and there doesn't be any set rules on what will work to quest in this world. Clearly I need more structure in how to actually play the game to quest the upper worlds. Frankly if we can not defeat things in the first area it can only go up hill from there. I don't want to be weakened into buying Henchmen to play the game, it's a signal that I really can't play the game. If I spend crowns I want it to be on things I can keep and enjoy.

I give up - the other member of our group "mom" is sure we will have no problems getting though this world but for what. I don't enjoy it there at all. I am tired of my wizard taking such a beaten.

Mary Gem another one of my forced to retire wizards.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Dr Von on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
and again, i disagree.

-v.
I agree 100%. I buy crowns when I can, but cannot depend on having extra cash floating around. I have no problem earning my way through the game; that's part of the fun.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I believe crown shop items providing auxiliary non-essential game enhancements is fine. But selling items that provide significant game shortcuts or radically improved gear I completely disagree with. There are some in-game elements that require giant amounts of time, effort, and commitment. Providing an equivalent or better item for a couple bucks cheapens the entire experience. There should always be challenging but accessible in-game items that are superior to crown shop and not available any other way.

Happy Wizarding!

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
I am not suggesting they sell ALL items that make you progress in the crown shop or that they should do away with the ability to earn better items. I am suggesting an item or two.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
RottenHeart on Jun 9, 2013 wrote:
I believe crown shop items providing auxiliary non-essential game enhancements is fine. But selling items that provide significant game shortcuts or radically improved gear I completely disagree with. There are some in-game elements that require giant amounts of time, effort, and commitment. Providing an equivalent or better item for a couple bucks cheapens the entire experience. There should always be challenging but accessible in-game items that are superior to crown shop and not available any other way.

Happy Wizarding!
I agree with ya cause there will not be that feeling " yea i did it woohoo"
Cause all they will get is boredom all the way no effort for that item.
When you fight for it thats worth of gold like you need 30 pixie sticks
and you need to go trough that zafaria dungeon like 15 times but there
is one pack which gives you 60 pixie sticks for few crowns but after
you get what you want that looses meaning of "I trained my pet so
hard that it worth it".

Game items are cool i dont go for stats i go for looks but there is
fair idea to get one more power pip in wand cause if azteca is
like its now i wonder will it need tank and huge amout of friends
to help you trough another world as i see mobs get 6 power pips
i can imagine 4 mobs casting high rank spell one after another.
I did solo azteca mostly friends port in cause of company or
boredom.

Idea about really rare item trough spiral would be cool cause
if we go after group fight could be harder then other fights
but we can go as solo and fight for it as for new pet or spell
that way players would fight for it and know difference in
crown shop or really great feeling when you fight for it.

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, level 90, Technomancer
Wish best for all of you.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
Not everyone has friends on this game. I have people I add occasionally, people that chat me during a fight saying, "PORT!" Then they are deleted. I prefer to solo, I don't like asking for help. With Azteca and how difficult it is it makes you depend on other people. Something needs to change. Whether items in Crown Shop to help or better drops. It was an idea. If the game continues to make you rely on other people for help I won't even continue to pay for subscription let alone crowns. With the increase in challenges compared to other worlds in Azteca they aren't doing much change in items to help you along other than depend on other's.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
I am aware that they sell packs. I would prefer to see what I am getting rather than gambling my crowns away. The people that are disagreeing with my idea to sell individual items where we can see agree with KI to sell packs? Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.
Again, don't jump to assumptions. Nowhere in any of my posts did I say they should allow all items for all perfect stats to be sold in the crown shop was never suggested by me. Nowhere did I give any indication that no work should be done in game for good gear.