Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crown Shop: Description Boxes are broken.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
So... my wife and I play this game together. The ironic thing though, is I'm using a Windows 7 and all works like it should; except for her. Firstly, she uses a Windows XP Professional OS. The game worked fine for her, until mid last year, when after an update... the description boxes on her end in the Crown Shop would seem to block up, and distort. Literally to the point where you can't see the description of everything. There was another thread I recall with people complaining that they couldn't see the text or anything, so this might be a similar case, except for one thing:

She tried everything.

She's

• [*]Updated Adobe Flash to its latest version.
    [*]Set everything to its lowest setting humanely possible.
    [*]She checked against her system settings.
    [*]Her diagnostics all checked out.
    [*]She recently had to refresh install her OS due to a virus and constant corrupting.

And with all of that, the problem still persists to this day. I don't know if it's a simple problem with these current OS's, but I remember it caused us to take a hiatus from the game for a bit. We were hoping the problem would be solved, but lo and behold it wasn't. Any help that could possibly be given would be greatly appreciated. As her husband, this is something we started way back together in 2010 if I recall, and have enjoyed the game ever since. Would love to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Administrator
We're investigating this elusive issue, and we'd like to get your DxDiag for review.

A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of your computer hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run its course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file

Please attach that txt file to an email to community@wizard101.com

Thanks!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
It's been sent. You should be receiving an e-mail soon with my wife's DxDiag. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. It's making it hard to play and strategise our future moves as we venture throughout the Spiral.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
I have had a similar problem sometimes I go up to a person with a quest and the box doesn't come up saying to click x to talk but even if that doesn't come up and I press x they start talking it hasn't happened recently though maybe it was a 3 time thing, just wondering.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
BlazeTaleweaver on May 22, 2013 wrote:
I have had a similar problem sometimes I go up to a person with a quest and the box doesn't come up saying to click x to talk but even if that doesn't come up and I press x they start talking it hasn't happened recently though maybe it was a 3 time thing, just wondering.
Sadly, this isn't the case with my wife's issue. She can see quests and such, and text. The real problem is in the Crown Shop. When she mouses over items in it, normally you'd see a description box pop up telling you stuff such as "Stats / No Trade / No Auction" and etc. like that. However, instead of a proper description box, the boxes are distorted... like "white noise" on a TV screen with no cable/satellite connection, except in every hue of the rainbow from 0 / 255.

I'm hoping a problem can be resolved. I'd hate to think it's simply because my wife's PC is outdated. I used to run this game on a Windows 98, that outperformed my old Windows XP (Compaq Presario, with a Pentenium III CPU), before I managed to build a new PC. I never had the distorted box issue my wife, and plenty of others seem to be getting.

...Wish I knew what was up though.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
So erm... I know since you guys approve these messages, you have to see this. Is there any solutions you could give?

Administrator
We are still trying to replicate this issue, given the information you and others provided.
I know it's frustrating you, it's frustrating us too.
Hang in there, we'll sort it out.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
Professor Greyrose on May 26, 2013 wrote:
We are still trying to replicate this issue, given the information you and others provided.
I know it's frustrating you, it's frustrating us too.
Hang in there, we'll sort it out.
I'm the one having the problem with this like nothing else. I'm the Real Life Wife. It's been going on for months. I updated my Graphics Card and my Direct X, still the same problem. I saw that on Wizard101 Central back in December 2012, other people had a similar issue like mine till you all did an Update Patch. What they were complaining about was the Crowns Shop, when you hovered your mouse/wand over Items and tried to see them, both the picture and description was showing up in static like blocks.

That's the problem I'm having now. I did everything you all suggested. I as you know run windows XP Pro, 32 bit. It's a fresh install with all the updates and bells and whistles. I had to reinstall it due to a virus I got. I didn't have this problem before, but months ago it started. I bought with my credit card recently, crowns for us. I can't decided what to buy because of this issue. I'm truly at a loss. I quit months ago because of it. Why play a game if you can't see what you get? I'm talking about the card packs. Not just that, but the gear to. Why buy gear if you can't see the difference of stats of your current gear compared to what your trying to buy?

Were adults. We play this game because it's not adult like most games out there on the market today. It truly gives us everything we've been looking for in a game. It reminds us of when we were kids. I'm still a kind by heart. I have problems that due to other things, I tell people I'm a kind trapped in a woman's body. Why am I telling the world this? Because this game means everything to both of us. Because it really reminds us of what games should be, of what they need to be.

Some months I spend a few hundred in this game. Why? Because I dearly love it and all the things you all add in it. Due to this Crowns Shop error, I can't enjoy it anymore. I cry at every failure because I truly miss this game. Because I truly love it with all my heart. I turned my husband on to it. He joined me in it a few years ago after I told him all about it. I helped him Level up. Those were the days. Great days that I always treasure. I hope you all can figure this out because I want to, truly want to play Wizard101 once more. I'll still buy Crowns and a Sub, but I won't be able to use the Crowns till this is taken care of. I always plan ahead. That's why I'm still buying crowns now and packs. Because even though I can't see what I get out of the Packs, I discovered that by somehow figuring thought the Static, I can still see what I get from the Card Packs by buying them and somehow getting back to my chat box by exiting the Crowns Shop. This doesn't help for the Gear, but it's a work around I found out for the Card Packs. What I need now though is better gear. I'm still using Level 45 gear and I'm fixing to hit Level 60. I need this problem figured out. Do what you all can and thank you all for your help, family and friends.

Sincerely

HeatherStarheaven

Level 59 Balance Wizard

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
Erm... this is a follow-up post, inquiring if the problem has ever been figured out as to why this keeps happening?