Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Potent trap tc hard to get!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
Hi, I'm a promethean balance, and I've been trying forever to get a potent trap tc for the transcendent craft quest for what seems like forever! Does anyone have any tips? I looked it up and found a bunch of bosses, but so far i farmed a lot of them and nothing.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I also have a problem getting this card. I have turqouise, agave leaves and nectar falling out of my backpack, but no Potent Trap card.

I'm not sweating it though because my current crafted gear works fine and I don't craft much non-gear stuff. I don't think its worth the time to stop questing to farm for the Potent Trap. Hopefully it will eventually fall in my lap.

On a similar note I have been gardening King Parsely since I entered Avalon and I still don't have a single amber. I have a pretty good garden of them now. Oh well. I used to be frustrated, but now I don't care so much.

Happy Wizarding!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I know how frustrating it can be. It's ridiculous that it can take so long to get just one item to finish your crafting badge in Azteca.

My Ice went through the entire world without receiving the potent trap TC. She helped other people through Azteca, and finally, what would be the equivalent of twice through the world, got the potent trap TC.

No one should have to wait so long just to get their crafting badge. It's virtually worthless, since you can't do anything like crafting till the end of the world, anyway.

I'm not sure what KI is thinking. Crafting should be a challenging and rewarding, not impossible and worthless.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Actually, it is ridiculously hard to get. I have all the reagents for this EXCEPT the Potent Trap. I have farmed some of the bosses for it too without any of this TC dropping.

As much as I have loved playing this game, Az has changed that. Az is totally backwards and upside down. Players should not have to wait till the end of the worlds to acquire their next SCHOOL SPELL, or be able to craft the gear or other items they may want or need to aid them in their questing.

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
it depends on the wizard. like I want to have crafting availability on all my wizards. some have multiple potent traps while farming on one for one is next to impossible and I can not trade it.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I to have found AZ world to be somewhat backwards. You have to wait until you are about finished with the world to get new spells that you really needed when you began AZ. The Drop of the Potent trap is another example of the game not making it accommodating to the player. Games should be pleasant to play not stressful. If you have ever played some of other games away from wizards you might find them less stressful. Such as working so hard to just get one item, and having to go through some pretty tough fights to get a chance at it, not get it but just a chance. My wizards that are not crafting have the potent trap but only by accident and since they don't craft i was thinking of seeing what it sells for since it is such a hard item to get.
My Balance is not in AZ yet but does need the potent trap. I will just sit it out and stop crafting till he gets to AZ and can quest. I have learned in this game that waiting is probably the best way because going at it over and over and over is like beating on a brick wall with your fists it only hurts and you get nowhere..

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
2x4 two step on May 5, 2013 wrote:
I to have found AZ world to be somewhat backwards. You have to wait until you are about finished with the world to get new spells that you really needed when you began AZ. The Drop of the Potent trap is another example of the game not making it accommodating to the player. Games should be pleasant to play not stressful. If you have ever played some of other games away from wizards you might find them less stressful. Such as working so hard to just get one item, and having to go through some pretty tough fights to get a chance at it, not get it but just a chance. My wizards that are not crafting have the potent trap but only by accident and since they don't craft i was thinking of seeing what it sells for since it is such a hard item to get.
My Balance is not in AZ yet but does need the potent trap. I will just sit it out and stop crafting till he gets to AZ and can quest. I have learned in this game that waiting is probably the best way because going at it over and over and over is like beating on a brick wall with your fists it only hurts and you get nowhere..
Sad to say you can not trade or sell the potent trap. It is a very frustrating quest to finish. I have killed many bosses many times that should drop this card, but i get regents or nothing i can use. I am about to give up on W101. The cheating, high pips of bosses and minions, the wait till the end before you get your new spells, etc. I will play P101 for awhile and see how that goes. Even in pet training, it takes to long to train six pets to adult or epic, and the pet snacks and games should be adjusted higher to at least 10 points each for low training. Just saying. I know a lot who are getting tired of this wizard unfairness stuff.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
Just by accident, i took my two balances that didnt have the potent trap. I took life with one and storm with other, i use two accounts to play. Right off the bat both Balances got the Potent trap, I really consider myself lucky because since that boss drop those two cards he has not drop any more and it has been several days fighting. My friend needs the card as well and the boss will not drop another. Both of my Balance wizards are not even questing in AZ. I took them there in hopes of getting the card. It is a shame how the drop rate is, and I wish KI had made the card for trade as I have wizards not crafting that will sell or use the card they have, my life has three of them while storm has two. Both have fought in AZ just on the main story line and not sides. The boss that drop the cards to my Balance wizard has a funny and odd name, its "Fuego" He is fire with myth help.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2012
I thought it was pretty hard as well. The only thing I could think to do was to find a boss that gives me an attack boost and spend some quality time with him/her.........for who knows how long

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
When I was in the storm eye temple, the ice boss in there dropped a potent trap treasure card. I had no idea if it was needed for crafting, so I just kept it.

Blaze Goldleaf

Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
Actually, it is ridiculously hard to get. I have all the reagents for this EXCEPT the Potent Trap. I have farmed some of the bosses for it too without any of this TC dropping.

As much as I have loved playing this game, Az has changed that. Az is totally backwards and upside down. Players should not have to wait till the end of the worlds to acquire their next SCHOOL SPELL, or be able to craft the gear or other items they may want or need to aid them in their questing.
I do agree, its hard to get. Don't worry though! I got it a while ago now, crafted gear for all my chars, its all good. I tried something i had never thought of: equipping the quest. I got it first boss I fought. Does anyone know if this actually makes a difference, or if it was just a happy coincidence? paige sandpetal, lvl90 paige skullpetal, lvl 90 paige frostpetal lvl 85

Survivor
Feb 05, 2012
I too have gone through Azteca in search of this TC, BUT have had no luck due to all of the other stuff that was nearly impossible to get. (Including the TC) Like the nectar! You can go to Alto Alto after beating the Calmecac Library and after saving Popol Vuh Whitepaper. You may notice that he sells the recipe for Agave nectar. (FOR TRANSCENDENT CRAFTERS ONLY). I started thinking what the point of crafting was, and I then came to a conclusion that there wasn't one. Except for a silly little badge. Question: Why make wizards go through all of this just for a title? It only makes more novices want to become friends with you! (Which in my opinion is VERY annoying.) So, I ask of anyone out there (Or Prof. Lydia Greyrose) to please post something that would be of any help in getting this TC. (Say a list of bosses) Thank you muchly

Tanner Firegem Lvl 90 "Promethean Pyromancer"
Ian Firegem Lvl 6 "Apprentice Conjurer"
Cole Draketamer Lvl 1 "Novice Sorcerer"

Survivor
Jun 08, 2012
Yes it is way too hard to get. I found a boss easy enough for me to farm but I have literally farmed about 30 times and not got it. I think they should either make you able to craft it, or make it tradeable because it is way too hard to get. My friend farmed 3 times and got it that quickly, and I have farmed 30 times and not got one.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2012
The potent trap tc is way to hard to get. I agree that a game should be challenging but rewarding, not stressful. I have tried so many times (about 30) farming one super hard boss that kills me half the times I try. I am about ready to quit wizard101. It is ridiculous how many pips they start with, they can kill you in the first round without you having a chance. And what is the point of critical if every boss has about 100% chance to block. I don't know why I play wizard101, I don't have fun at all, I only get more and more stressed.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
It's not hard to get. You just need to farm the right boss it drops from look up the bosses that drop it and find the right one that will be easy for you and go form there. Farmed it on 3 wizards np at all.

Survivor
May 03, 2010
The Monkey Captain in Saltmeadow Swamp was where I got mine. He drops Turquoise and Potent Trap pretty regularly. I fought him 10 times with a group of three level 10's who just spammed one pips- by the end each of us had at least 2 potent traps and 2 Turquoise. He's not too bad at all.

May the drops be ever in your favor.

Alejandro Trollcatcher, Rank X Boss

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Storm Eye pyramid is a good place to farm for it, you get two different bosses and thus two chances to get either a tc aura card or tc potent trap/sharpened blade. Both drop turquoise as well so if you need that, farm farm farm.

You will need at least two people, three is a comfortable minimum and four is great. I tried to solo it a few times and didn't get past the old lady. Tower + elemental shield spamming + sirens + THREE other guys hitting you with chimera and ra = go home.

At least whatsername gives you some wisps if you straighten up her coffin some. So it's comparable to pagoda, you always face four enemies each step but you do get a little pick-me-up after the first batch.

As for crafting being totally useless, I think it's high time these spells were moved to craftable. Instead of requiring tc versions of these to craft other things, you could just go ahead and use your nectar and whatnots to train the spell at your card table. The guy selling the crafting recipes could be a prisoner inside the storm pyramid or something. You rescue him and buy recipes for spells and the transmutes you need from him. *coughturquoiseagavenectaramber*

Explorer
Mar 16, 2011
omg! I was reading this board in between rounds of a battle with Nauyotol Down In The Hole, the guy in pitch black lake, and i send a spinysaur at him, killing him, while looking at this. I go back to the game and yes! The last ingredient I needed! The potent trap tc!

Defender
Jul 27, 2009
I got it on my first time trying to get it

And I might know you in wizard101
John AshForge

Survivor
Aug 28, 2010
Ca someone list the bosses that drop a potent trap? I killed the Monkey boss but got nothing from it...

Autumn Legendflowe Level 90