Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

XP loss is needed in this game

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I still dont think anyone would truely appreciate this being in the game. It just creates frustration.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2011
masterryan1969 on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
KI,

xp loss is something we need to put in place other games have it so should wizard. If you die in non PVP, flee or back off a portal one should lose a substincial amount of expirence. i.e like 50% of a level so if your 90 you become 89 and need to farm to get your xp back. Open up 90 so we can cap it too as a buffer.

This would reduce the nonsense that happens with people jump in a battle and flee etc. As I have said before the game is a bit too easy just like pirate 101 is. I still play and like them both but more challenge would be a plus!
no,no,no,no,and no.

1.if you're level cap it would take a year just to get the exp back.

2.the noobs(new players) don't just get the game in 2 seconds,and are a bit over courageous.

3.just because p101's a walk in the park for you doesn't mean it is for others.

so this I am completely disagree with this.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2012
Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I HIGHLY disagree. Someone shouldn't lose exp for dying and besides, what if the person has to do something and flee.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2013
I strongly disagree with this idea because what happens when your level 47 and get to lvl 48 and then get deranked before you get the spells like stormlord ice giant people would get more frustrated than exited and for that matter what happens if you have a spell and you get deranked example: level 42 death mage already have wraith then you get deranked to you lose it?

Explorer
Jul 25, 2011
KI,

xp loss is something we need to put in place other games have it so should wizard. If you die in non PVP, flee or back off a portal one should lose a substincial amount of expirence. i.e like 50% of a level so if your 90 you become 89 and need to farm to get your xp back. Open up 90 so we can cap it too as a buffer.

This would reduce the nonsense that happens with people jump in a battle and flee etc. As I have said before the game is a bit too easy just like pirate 101 is. I still play and like them both but more challenge would be a plus!
no.if this idea was in the game this could shut down ki.i'll explain.if every one keeps dying then when they might never get that exp back cause if the enemy is too powerful then that player would go back moderantly and the more that happens, less players play, less players equals less funds, and less funds means eventually they get shut down so this idea is will not be considered and nobody will agree.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
It took me forever to get to lvl 90! I seriously don't want to go through that again! do not add this! Terrible idea. i might quit. i would be sad. KI don't add this!

Please don't.

Defender
Dec 25, 2012
this is a bad idea guest are limitted not a millon and half a level to bad battles down a level and if you where level 90 you be level 89 and no more guest in the game so really bad idea

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
I disagree strongly with this. Hard-earned experience lost from dying? I haven't even heard of a hardcore MMO that's done this. One of the reasons Wizard101 is so family-friendly and accessible is the fact you don't have to repair your gear or find your defeated body as a ghost after being beaten. I vote no.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
No. Just no. If that was added to the game, I would be like level 3 right now LOL.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
If I'm helping someone in a quest and I get pulled into a useless street fight and they are in a different fight, I will flee and port. Happens about a dozen times a day, since groups of wizards moving through an area are more likely to get caught than a solo wizard.

If I lost half my level every time I did this, I would quickly learn not to help others and just bunker down in my own questing area.

the same goes for porting to someone already in a battle - what if your deck is really messed up? Flee, fix, port back in with the cards you should be using. If I lost half a level for every time I joined a boss battle and discovered I'd removed important shields, I would stop porting on request. Ever.

I don't think KI wants to discourage cooperative play in any way.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NOPE, I can see a mass exodus from the game if that were to happen and I would be one of the first to be gone.

W101 is a unique game NOT like all others so please don't try to make it that way.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
First I want to be different than everyone else and say I LIKE the idea. At least the idea of having additional penalty for fleeing or dying. I think people are saying it isn't fair, it is wrong, etc... only because that is what they are used to for how W101 works. I agree that you should be rewarded more (or less penalized) if you can get through without dying or dying less. In fact we are penalized for dying or fleeing, but that penalty is losing health and mana and ported to the 'common' area, but we all ignore that as that penalty is trivial. So I believe the OP is suggesting the penalty should be more.
But others do make many good points. So my thoughts are:
First, the penalty should be much more reasonable, like 100xp/200xp or 200xp/400xp or something. You can easily get over 100xp in 1 big fight or a couple smaller fights.
The penalty for dying should be more than fleeing since fleeing is about saving yourself to fight another day, while dying is ... well ... dead.
as for hopping off a sigil - i don't get that at all (i know it can be frustrating but sorry i can't support you on that penalty)
But all that said, i don't see this happening since the logistics are crazy. If they drop a level: Do they lose their spells? Do they lose access to level restricted areas? What about level restricted quests, are they undone? What about badges and titles? What about level restricted equipment that is presently being worn?
Finally, as for no being able to re-join the battle, I can see it either way, but it is basically intentionally designed this way by KI, so I have to believe they considered it and decided this is they way they want it to work and everyone is used to it this way. So basically no way will this would get changed (IMHO).

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
KI,

Um... Hello! We already lose all of our mana from fleeing! it is already strongly discouraged so i do not agree with you on that one

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
I'm very sorry. I don't want to be rude or offensive, but I just think this is a bad idea. If this were added it would create all sorts of problems, complaints, and confusion.
Say, a level 48 wizard just got their spell quest and they end up fleeing the battle and get bumped down to 47. What would happen then?
Also, say someone just got into Azteca. they just got to 80 and then they flee and port back to their friend. What happens then? Do they just suddenly get cut out of Azteca?
This idea arouses all sorts of level requirement issues. PLUS some people always flee and port back because they are weaker but are working in a team on the same quest. For those people they might get bumped down 3 levels in just one battle! No, just no.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
I think low levels that come into Azteca, doing nothing except casting nonsense tc and fairy, that are trying to get easy xp, relying on the high lvl people, that bring in a bunch of extra enemies they can't kill that end up attacking the high lvls should lose xp, the low levels.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
i would have to disagree with your statement. i know your thinking, but to a lot of people, this game is not as easy as it seems. and besides, even if you die in a battle, it shows that you tried, and you already dont get any of the experience or droppings from the battle when you die... with battles on wizard 101, its either you dont get the XP or you don't, so it would just be unfair to lose the XP that you already have.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Dude! If I lost half my XP everytime I was defeated in battle, I'd probably be level 1 by this time!! I think this is a terrible idea (For me at least). xD

-Rachel SeaRider Level 81 Theurgist

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
KI,

This is an awful idea, farming gets you barely any xp. If you're promethean and you've finished your quests, how are you supposed to level back up? That would lose the game a lot of players, and fleeing is useful too. If you get stuck in a fight and can't get out of hit, you can flee. I don't think you should be brought down a whole level for leaving a fight you were dragged into. If somebody ditches you in a fight, that's annoying, but still. That's not a challenge, that's a setback. Sorry bud, nobody's with you on this and if KI does this, it's gonna lose a lotta players...

~ Katherine Winterpetal, Promethean Life wiz

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
The only thing that would really help make this game more challenging in a fair way, is for mob and boss AI to improve, and possibly even learn from and adapt to various schools' attacks.

Imposing arbitrary penalties for dying or fleeing or backing off a dungeon pad doesn't make the game harder, it makes playing the game more frustrating and randomly pointless. It also invites abuse.

KI is working hard to reduce the make-work and fun-sapping aspects of the game. Adding new ones that are an order of magnitude more frustrating and random than the existing issues is hopefully not on their list.

Sure it bugs me when there are dungeon pad hoppers or a low lvl ports to you in avalon and makes your life hard. Think how much worse it would be if they could do it, knowing they could force you to lose half a level by sabotaging the team.

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
Swaying Puppet on Jan 27, 2013 wrote:
Sorry but, this is a HORRIBLE idea. Why should i loose a level for dying, or fleeing? This game is not a grinding game, since the xp from battles is 3 xp for each move you do, you know how long it would take to get like 100k back? The only way you could level is through quests, Which are Limited too.
I agree. It isn't fair that people simply leave fights, but not all wizards can handle some fights. Would you do this for a low lvl who ports to their friend in a high level area?

It isn't good for W101

From Diana Swiftfountain lvl 84,

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
That's a really bad idea.

I mean no offense, but level loss because you lose a battle? That's madness!

Random Eagle: But it's Aquila!

Quiet, eagle! I've been playing way too much Pirate... Anyway, would you like it if you went all the way back to level one or so just because you mess up in a battle? Sorry, but that's madness.

Eagle: I am telling you it is Aquila!

Defender
Nov 15, 2008
I4C gr8ness on May 17, 2013 wrote:
First I want to be different than everyone else and say I LIKE the idea. At least the idea of having additional penalty for fleeing or dying. I think people are saying it isn't fair, it is wrong, etc... only because that is what they are used to for how W101 works. I agree that you should be rewarded more (or less penalized) if you can get through without dying or dying less. In fact we are penalized for dying or fleeing, but that penalty is losing health and mana and ported to the 'common' area, but we all ignore that as that penalty is trivial. So I believe the OP is suggesting the penalty should be more.
But others do make many good points. So my thoughts are:
First, the penalty should be much more reasonable, like 100xp/200xp or 200xp/400xp or something. You can easily get over 100xp in 1 big fight or a couple smaller fights.
The penalty for dying should be more than fleeing since fleeing is about saving yourself to fight another day, while dying is ... well ... dead.
as for hopping off a sigil - i don't get that at all (i know it can be frustrating but sorry i can't support you on that penalty)
But all that said, i don't see this happening since the logistics are crazy. If they drop a level: Do they lose their spells? Do they lose access to level restricted areas? What about level restricted quests, are they undone? What about badges and titles? What about level restricted equipment that is presently being worn?
Finally, as for no being able to re-join the battle, I can see it either way, but it is basically intentionally designed this way by KI, so I have to believe they considered it and decided this is they way they want it to work and everyone is used to it this way. So basically no way will this would get changed (IMHO).
woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah and finally, woah! um sry but just because two people think this game is a walk in the park doesnt mean it is, an anyways it isnt happening cause its like a 200-2 vote so dont even try it :P

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
On a slightly different note...

I think wizards that die or flee, then rejoin by porting should get no loot or xp from the specific battle. If it is a quest battle then they shouldn't get credit for being defeated and then porting back throughout the battle. It should be important for team mates to keep each other alive.

Also, there should be reduced loot, no XP, and no quest credits for wizards that join battle late. Missing the first round is fine (happens all the time) but the strategy of skipping most of the battle and jumping in late should be discouraged.

~ Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
MythWizardForeves on May 17, 2013 wrote:
I'm very sorry. I don't want to be rude or offensive, but I just think this is a bad idea. If this were added it would create all sorts of problems, complaints, and confusion.
Say, a level 48 wizard just got their spell quest and they end up fleeing the battle and get bumped down to 47. What would happen then?
Also, say someone just got into Azteca. they just got to 80 and then they flee and port back to their friend. What happens then? Do they just suddenly get cut out of Azteca?
This idea arouses all sorts of level requirement issues. PLUS some people always flee and port back because they are weaker but are working in a team on the same quest. For those people they might get bumped down 3 levels in just one battle! No, just no.
I completely agree with your reasoning. Another example of this is that sometimes, when I create new wizards, I see level 2 wizards dying from Lost Souls, Skeletal Pirates, and Dark Fairies on Unicorn Way. What would happen then? Would they be level -1? This concept would ruin the game. Some people may believe that this game is an easy walk in the park, and some don't. This idea is just unnecessary.

Logan DarkFlame, Level 77 Pyromancer
"Don't mess with the Keeper of the Flame"