Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

XP loss is needed in this game

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
KI,

xp loss is something we need to put in place other games have it so should wizard. If you die in non PVP, flee or back off a portal one should lose a substincial amount of expirence. i.e like 50% of a level so if your 90 you become 89 and need to farm to get your xp back. Open up 90 so we can cap it too as a buffer.

This would reduce the nonsense that happens with people jump in a battle and flee etc. As I have said before the game is a bit too easy just like pirate 101 is. I still play and like them both but more challenge would be a plus!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
masterryan1969 on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
KI,

xp loss is something we need to put in place other games have it so should wizard. If you die in non PVP, flee or back off a portal one should lose a substincial amount of expirence. i.e like 50% of a level so if your 90 you become 89 and need to farm to get your xp back. Open up 90 so we can cap it too as a buffer.

This would reduce the nonsense that happens with people jump in a battle and flee etc. As I have said before the game is a bit too easy just like pirate 101 is. I still play and like them both but more challenge would be a plus!
just because *you* think the game is "easy" doesn't mean that other players agree.

yes, other games have these systems in place. but those other games are also not marketed to casual gamers and children or as "family-friendly". other games also allow players to choose between good/evil and have quest-progression locks that prevent players from porting into zones they haven't gained access to~ this one has neither and, much like your perceived system, ki probably has reasons for leaving them out.

you hardcore gamers can create your own "challenge", by wearing lesser gear or duking it out in the arena. but the game cannot be made easier for those casual and family players who are struggling. unlike you, most players don't have the time or patience to treat this game like a full-time job.

if you want to prevent porting and fleeing, put a qp-lock on the worlds; if you have not unlocked the area yourself via quest-prog, you may not enter. end of.

-von
promethean sorceress, archmage necromancer, casual player.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2012
Sorry but, this is a HORRIBLE idea. Why should i loose a level for dying, or fleeing? This game is not a grinding game, since the xp from battles is 3 xp for each move you do, you know how long it would take to get like 100k back? The only way you could level is through quests, Which are Limited too.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
KI,

I disagree with this implemented for game play itself. I have fled when there is no other option and should not be penalized for it. Fleeing is a safety net, and remember, this is a game for children as well as adults.
Wizard may be like some other games, but sure doesn't have to adopt all other game components. It's one of the things I really appreciate about this game.

However, in PvP it would work and keep people from fleeing without losing points which happens a lot.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
No, losing 320k (640k to get from 89 to 90) exp would make me quit almost instantaneously.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2010
Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
50% of a level for one death? Um...no! With a salute to your thoughts along the lines of finding a way to help reduce the jump in and port out issue, I think most would rather live with that than spend endless hours farming back the experience lost from one death. Why worry about level 90 being opened for a buffer when the change you have suggested would make it impossible to ever get there? There are enough time consuming challenges in the game as it presently is.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
KI,

This one i cant agree with. One reason wiz101 was nice to play was because it did not have experience debt.
Yes alot of games have it but with the younger people that play this they learn by mistakes alot and for them they might end up in max debt permanently. So i feel the way the game is now is the way it should be.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
KI,

This would be one way to cause a mass exodus of players.

No. Just leave it alone. W101 is not like a lot of other games and thay is why so many play.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Losing XP would break the game because the amount of XP that a player can gain is controlled. You need a certain amount of XP to gain access to worlds. Once a quest or dungeon is complete you can't do it again to gain more XP (I think sometimes you get minimal XP, but nothing substantial). So if you lost a bunch of XP you might not be able to gain it back if your available quests are all completed. Preventing your access to worlds, with more quests and available XP.

But I do appreciate the OPs thought that dying and fleeing is too easy in the game. There should be stronger discouragement. For example, in PvE someone who has died or fled should not be allowed to rejoin the same battle again.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2011
I'm just putting this out there, but I do not agree with you. I know some others might disagree with me, but like someone already said, the game might seem easy to you, but it might not be for others, and I think many people would give up questing entirely if they were going down levels.

For instance, once I was on the "footpath" in Marleybone a while ago, and when I was trying to get to a certain place, I got drawn into battle around about 4 times. I didn't want to defeat them, so I fled and I'd keep getting stuck at around about that point. It's bad enough that Marleybone doesn't even have very good walkways, let alone if we lost xp when we fled, people would lose allot of their time battling things that they didn't want to, (even though Mb creatures aren't that hard, but still, I'm talking about streets in general) and it would probably lose allot of players which would mean less money for KI, and more unhappy Wizards.

You are making a good point there, but maybe we should lose something less drastic like gold.
~Maddie

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
RottenHeart on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:
Losing XP would break the game because the amount of XP that a player can gain is controlled. You need a certain amount of XP to gain access to worlds. Once a quest or dungeon is complete you can't do it again to gain more XP (I think sometimes you get minimal XP, but nothing substantial). So if you lost a bunch of XP you might not be able to gain it back if your available quests are all completed. Preventing your access to worlds, with more quests and available XP.

But I do appreciate the OPs thought that dying and fleeing is too easy in the game. There should be stronger discouragement. For example, in PvE someone who has died or fled should not be allowed to rejoin the same battle again.
You do get some XP for the second time on bosses and very little for street mobs.

I disagree with not being allowed to rejoin a battle. In some cases you can't anyway if you flee. But there are times when a player loses connection during battle through no fault of their own. If a player can get back in before that battle is finished they should be allowed to do so.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
You do get some XP for the second time on bosses and very little for street mobs.

I disagree with not being allowed to rejoin a battle. In some cases you can't anyway if you flee. But there are times when a player loses connection during battle through no fault of their own. If a player can get back in before that battle is finished they should be allowed to do so.
-> I don't think you would be able to recover enough XP to account for several level losses. I havn't noticed the pattern on when you get XP, but I got zero last night doing Big Ben.

-> Thats true about the connection issue, but the game should be able to determine the difference between a connection loss vs being defeated or fleeing. I don't expect people to agree, but I believe if you are defeated you should not be allowed to rejoin. Thats not fair for the bad guys... they aren't allowed to just port back in!

If you are defeated... you lost! Why are you allowed to jump back in???

Yes I know the game is already created and this will not change.
Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Nov 17, 2012
I disagree.
I might agree if it was more like lose 10 EXP for fleeing or 5 EXP for dying, but other than that, I disagree.
Sorry.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2012
No offense, but that is a terrible idea . It takes A LOT of time for somebody to gain a level, especially if they aren't a member. Plus, what if you are in a very hard battle and on a low level?

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:

The only way to gain real XP is by questing. You can only redo those quests which start when entering an instanced dungeon. And since these quests give only 1/2 XP the second time, and 0 XP forever more, you'd have a lot of wizards devolving back to lower levels with no way to get back.

Nope, the game's design doesn't make losing XP as a penalty feasible. Losing a little gold seems to be the only possible penalty of failure in Wiz101, but as alluded to above even that would be unfair since some battles are unintentional (i.e., an accidental street fight while running from A to B) and penalizing for fleeing would be just wrong in that case.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
RottenHeart on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
-> I don't think you would be able to recover enough XP to account for several level losses. I havn't noticed the pattern on when you get XP, but I got zero last night doing Big Ben.

-> Thats true about the connection issue, but the game should be able to determine the difference between a connection loss vs being defeated or fleeing. I don't expect people to agree, but I believe if you are defeated you should not be allowed to rejoin. Thats not fair for the bad guys... they aren't allowed to just port back in!

If you are defeated... you lost! Why are you allowed to jump back in???

Yes I know the game is already created and this will not change.
Happy Wizarding!
RottenHeart, You are right. You would not be able to recover enough XP to make up for those kinds of penalties Masterplat is suggesting.

If you haven't read HooVooLoo's post, please do. It explains it more about the XP gained from doing a dungeon the second time forward.

As I have already stated, I disagree with losing XP and I disagree with not being able to rejoin a battle. The game was not written that way and I don't think many would be happy if they were not able to rejoin a battle. I sure wouldn't. I also stated there are some dungeons you can't port back into as well if you flee. Let's just leave it at that .

Survivor
Nov 21, 2012
Okay so that is prop a glitch in the game. You shouldn't see that anymore...... If you do please post it TY

William, Level: 28 fire WARLORD and TY

Explorer
Mar 20, 2010
KI,

There are several matters I want to disagree with.

1) Are you serious? Backing off a portal, i. e., for a dungeon, would lose experience?
2) 50% is really scary. Perhaps quite a lot less.
3) Some people when they are just starting out die a lot. Should they be penalized for not knowing what to do?
4) What level are you, anyway? If you think it is too easy and you are low level...
5) There are better ways of dissuading people from fleeing.
6) Dying isn't anyone's fault-why should we be penalized for bad gaming skills?

To others: we should be allowed to re-join battles we have died in. It doesn't matter if it isn't fair for enemies-four against 1 isn't fair in The Great Spyre.

Thank you.
-lvl 52 Storm Myrna DeathBlood

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
that isnt a good idea for anyone to think. sure a lot of games do this i can name a few that dont... many xbox and ps3 but no this is a bad idea.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
KI,

No no no! That's a Terrible idea! It isn't always easy, but one thing it dfinitely is is time consuming. It takes a while to level up to these levels, and no one wants to do it over. If it's to easy for you, delete youyr wizard and make a new one and name it the same name and pick the same school. You'll definitely lose your XP then

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
DuelMasterJack on Jan 31, 2013 wrote:
Okay so that is prop a glitch in the game. You shouldn't see that anymore...... If you do please post it TY

William, Level: 28 fire WARLORD and TY
This post wasn't concerning a glitch, it was a suggestion.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2011
Getting from lvl 89 to lvl 90 by constantly defeating monsters? I would like to see someone do that! It is a really bad idea. It's hard to level up from lvl 12 to 13 that way. Imagine it when you need 400000 xp and getting 1000 xp (for example) doesn't even move your xp in the xp bar. This is not the sollution.

Erin Firesword
level 84, Archmage Pyromancer

Explorer
Aug 29, 2011
Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I personally think this wouldn't make much sense. It you think about it, the reason people die is probably because they're under level. And if you already can't win, why make it harder? Also, a lot of that experience would be impossible to get back, considering most of it is from quests.