Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Put Skill Back in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2011
I've been playing this game for a very long time and I have a bad habbit of quitting then coming back and forgetting my password. But, from my experience, this game is ALREADY a luck based game in pvp, stricktly because of the 'first move' system. Nowadays, you have these apprentice wizards using grandmaster + moves. Whoever came up with that idea BETTER get fired. So, here's my recommendation, change it back to where it used to be and a bit more. Nerf down high level pet moves and remove treasure cards. Simple as that, you don't NEED to spends tons of money on pets and treasure cards with this system, AND it becomes more skill based. This game will never be 100% skill, accept it, but get it as close as you can at least, instead of this "i'm level 5 and I can use Stormzilla" stuff.

Not my choice but it's common sense go go in that direction instead of this luck business.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Hornback10 on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
I've been playing this game for a very long time and I have a bad habbit of quitting then coming back and forgetting my password. But, from my experience, this game is ALREADY a luck based game in pvp, stricktly because of the 'first move' system. Nowadays, you have these apprentice wizards using grandmaster + moves. Whoever came up with that idea BETTER get fired. So, here's my recommendation, change it back to where it used to be and a bit more. Nerf down high level pet moves and remove treasure cards. Simple as that, you don't NEED to spends tons of money on pets and treasure cards with this system, AND it becomes more skill based. This game will never be 100% skill, accept it, but get it as close as you can at least, instead of this "i'm level 5 and I can use Stormzilla" stuff.

Not my choice but it's common sense go go in that direction instead of this luck business.
YES!! yes yes yes!!

This treasure card stuff must end now!! I'm sick of it! KI needs to put level restrictions on these high rank cards so that low levels don't end up casting them, which by the way, they've been casting them an insane amount of times lol. Also, some treasure cards are a bit too powerful to be available in PvP, no matter what level. The Wintertusk/Avalon spells are a bit too insane to be available as treasure cards in PvP for example(I'm pretty sure some aren't available anyways though.)

I also *sorta* agree with the pet thing, some pet talents can be a bit too much in the arena, like the may cast stuff... But wizards train their pets really hard for those stats so I think they should keep them in PvP. Just maybe limit it to one "may cast" per round..? Some pets will cast like 3 sprites and a unicorn in one round lol.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Hornback10 on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:

How about a different turn system?

Team one
slot 1,2,3,4

Team two
Slot 1,2,3,4

Team one draws straws and goes first
random slot 1 turn to cast

Team two turn
random slot 3 turn to cast

back to team one slot 2 turn to cast..

back and forth like one person from each team casts instead of all 4 casting um double and triple smoke screens then one blasting you all etc :)

Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
I agree, in high level (75-90) pvp, it was a race to see who could cast the 4 stun frost giant first.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
masterryan1969 on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:

Team one
slot 1,2,3,4

Team two
Slot 1,2,3,4

Team two turn

back and forth like one person from each team casts instead of all 4 casting um double and triple smoke screens then one blasting you all etc :)
There are PvP teams who would be RUINED if you did that, part of PvP is the turns system. I don't think it needs to go. If you win from second you have ultimate props. One guy I got beat by recently made a very good point when I got frustrated (I didn't call names or anything like that) he said: "I have no sympathy for you, I won from second against a higher level player." He was a level 50 Warlord and I was a level 60 Knight.

Also, since when have you seen smoke spammers? I think they disapeared with tempest spammers. (Yes I was a part of that Age)

Keep ideas flowing though!

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
Maybe I should have read around a little before I started my very own thread. I pretty much wrote up the same issue in it. (it hasnt posted yet)
I am looking for a separate arena possibly, maybe even with a separate leaderboard to play low and midlevel 1v1 pvp (maybe team, i am not familiar with team play and dont know if that would work) where I do not have all the unwanted side effects like to high level treasures, pets that cast auras, where my wizard even cant do that, auras cast by the wizards to enhance their abilities even though they shouldnt have them in the first place and the reshuffle issue.

I was a very passionate pvp player before Celestia, but with celestia came changes that the old fashioned player like me, doesnt appreciate.

However everyone that joined the game after Celestia will not know what I am talking about and I would not find it fair to restrict those players, if they didnt want to. So I propose a separate arena, and old time arena, and the arena we currently have.

Thanks
altana

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
The Pyromancer on May 14, 2013 wrote:
I agree, in high level (75-90) pvp, it was a race to see who could cast the 4 stun frost giant first.
If you don't like the frost giant, you could cast conviction/stun block and solve the problem.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Survivor
Jan 03, 2011
While i agree that some tc should be removed from arena, (shatter specifically) Its really not that hard to counter most of the other tc. From second, yea shatter makes it a pain in the back because shielding is futile. Storms use levy, fire use efreet, myth use orthrus. Nothing gonna change. Just about every magus pvp'er goes for kill before 6 turn in 1v1, and its not a challenge at all due to shatter, infallible, and feint. And srsly, while its an advantage to go first, with a good team who can predict well, its not even a match. My mate and I go second just about every time we 2v2, and win 95% of the time. Banning tc overall would kill pvp i guess. Makes having most masteries useless. I know my death and balance both use myth mastery for team, and neither have earth trained. -.- So im forced to use tc. Tc shields, for when you get feinted, nice to draw tower when you need it. Heals, not even gonna bother there. Frankly, jade have 90% outgoing i: and i need a stronger doom than just 65%, so i use 85% tc. I could go on, but i doubt anyone will make it this far anyways. :P

Survivor
Feb 18, 2013
masterryan1969 on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:

Team one
slot 1,2,3,4

Team two
Slot 1,2,3,4

Team two turn

I agree with that idea. Draw to see who slings first spell then alternate back and forth across arena, player 1 team A first then player 2 team B just keep the pattern shuffled then it will come down to skill instead of team mates trapping and blading up opponents for their heaviest hitter Then individual players need to be on their A game to stay in instead of being carried by their team mates.