Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ambrose as a teacher?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
Now, I'm a Necromancer, and I love Professor Dworgyn. That smart, wonderful and slightly crazy hunchback is near and dear to my heart, and I'm sure the other Schools feel the same way about their teachers (with the possible exception of you poor Myth wizards...). However, I'm already an Arch-mage, and well on my way to the next title (Promethian, I think), and I'm wondering just how much my professor can still teach me. I was thinking, maybe at level 100, our teachers could call us over, and admit that they've taught us pretty much all they can, before sending us to Ambrose. After hearing how much we've learned, and considering how many times we've saved multiple worlds, maybe he could take us on as his apprentice to teach us the sorts of spells even our professors could barely imagine?

It wouldn't be quite that simple of course. To make sure were really up to the challenge, he could duel us himself as a test. A solo, one on one duel, but still extra tough and challenging, even if he might actually be going easy on us since he's the Headmaster after all. After finally beating him, he could agree to teach us(occasionally sending us back to our original teachers of course, to learn about some obscure artefact or item we'd need to learn a new spell), and maybe give us a new title to commemorate the event? Something different for each School, to mark the achievement. Lich for Death wizards, Einherjar(the warriors taken to Valhalla from Norse mythology) for Ice wizards. Hephaestian for Fire wizards maybe, since Promethian is already taken, and Hephaestus was related to fire and volcanoe's, as well as smithing. Something equally epic for the other schools as well.

Anyway, TL;DR Version: Wouldn't it be cool if Ambrose taught us personally at some point? And if we could get new school specific titles to mark how far we've come since we started as novices and apprentices so very long ago?

Explorer
Jan 22, 2011
We are not poor FYI!Professor Drake is an awesome teacher who deserves respect,got it?!He's a really nice person if you get to know him!Never heard of ''Don't judge books by their cover''?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
A great way to start this would be for him to start teaching us spells ONLY monsters have. This will give us more spells (tho granted many would be way below us), as well as have a clear path of tasks. The few pip spells being the easiest, the middle pip spells being harder and so on. a nice graduated scale of difficulty, but a realistic one. Perhaps change slightly the way it works. Instead of focusing more on high level players, think of this type of change as total game infusion. Something that even new players could get into. For example, for every 3 school spells, he'd set you down the path to learn one school type monster only spell, which would end up being given by your teacher. So, for example, by the time you got your level 11 pyro spell, you'd already have learned Firebats. Then, when it came time to the high level spells he could teach, you'd already have a slew of other spells to add to your background. I DON'T feel that all new content should be high level only. I think adding new, usable content, for all levels is a good thing. Sure, people of high levels would find some tasks as too simple and trivial, but think back to when you were starting off. Extra spells or knowledge would probably have done you really well.

I think if Merle is to teach us, then it should be something as different as the Astral spells were. They were just so different, they weren't damage inflicting as much as they were damage modifying. perhaps he teaches us spells, that we gain in our books, to modify the way we cast the spells. Perhaps teaching us a spells that:

1) bring down the pip cost
2) give us first attack in the round
3) combining spells - so like we could combine like spells for more damage. As an example, if we pyros combined Sunbird and Phoenix for a new spell called something like Fire Flock that would attack for 850-1,000, or something to that effect. Give us a brand new way to cast spells

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
To Mythknowledge655, I apologize. I didn't have many positive experiences with Prof. Drake before, and even when I tried being a Myth wizard for a bit, he still seemed pretty mean and unlikeable. If he really is a decent guy under all the mean and arrogance, I hope I get to see it someday. Sorry I jumped to conclusions.

To Dayerider, that sounds like a really great idea. I'd been wishing for a while that we could learn spells that it seemed only the monsters knew. Hadn't thought of incorporating it into the idea with Ambrose, but I don't think he should be teaching from the beginning though. Maybe somewhere in between high level and beginner, somewhere around level 30 maybe? You've saved a world or two, you've proven you're a bit above the average Ravenwood student, maybe it's worth teaching you some of his secrets?

The three spell ideas sounded pretty good, but also sound like they might belong more to the Astral schools. Combining spells especially sounds like it could be a really fun idea, and definitely worthy of a quest all it's own. Kind of like a more advanced version of the mutation Sun spells maybe.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
That's why I'm thinking every few school spells, he teaches you a monster spell. I think if you wait too long, the smaller spells just become a waste of space and not really usable. By the time you reach level 10, you have Sunbird, fire elf and firecat. I think 3:1 is a good measurement to use. Perhaps you get one after fully completing Wizard City, and then one every 5 - 7 levels after that as a show of good faith on his part for helping out. Firebats and yellow fire elf are good spells, but give them too late and you run the risk of them just being useless. Given at the right time, they'd round out the wizard well. The only problem I forsee is when you get spells like Fire Elf and Yellow Fire Elf. They both do the EXACT same amount of damage, so either one spell would need to be bumped up a bit (and I figure if you give YFE another 50% damage, it would be worth it - would give it 75+315/3rds instead). Where things would get tricky is, when do we limit it? With a tad of research, we'd have 24 new spells:

Blaze Beetle 65-105
Fire Beetle 100 & 35% to next 3 spells
Natural Attack 100/pip
Fire Snake 105-145
Cursed Flame 160dmg +20% to next spell
Firebats 190-230
harvest lord 250
Fire Elemental 345
Flame Strike 60+270/3rds
mander 375
Krokomummy 375
Fire Shark 375-435
Yellow Fire Elf 75+315/3rds (my proposed version)
Magma Man 240-300
Fire Colossus 460-540
Fire Serpent 525/3rds
Ignite 550 & +25% to all fire spells
Magma Man 50+600/3rds
Firezilla 650-730
Koto 665
Fire Wyvern 95+600
Inferno Kraken 245+450/3rds
Inferno Mander 60+690/3rds
Firestorm 265+600/3rds

That's a LOT of spells to add, and many of them are low level spells. With one new spell every 5 levels, it would take until level 120 before we had all the ones in existence NOW. I think that if MA is going to be a teacher, he should override your school teacher if we use this method.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
There's no reason they'd have to teach every monster spell. If fire elf, and yellow fire elf do the exact same thing, then there'd be no reason to teach it, especially when there's so many other fire spells to teach. Cut back on the spells, first by only teaching the student spells for their school type, and second, by weeding out some redundant spells, like the yellow fire elf. So for example, a fire wizard might learn Blaze Beetle, Fire Shark, Firezilla, and Fire Colossus, while a storm wizard learns things like Storm Elf, Jolted Snowman, and Cloud Demon instead. Less spells to learn, and less pointless, weaker spells cluttering your spellbook.

Hmmm... or, maybe instead of every five or six levels, it was just once per world, but he'd offer a selection to pick from? Something like "Oh, you saved another world. Let me reward you by teaching you a special spell. Pick one of these spells, and I'll teach it to you.". As the game went on, he could offer higher level spells, so if you were a fire wizard, after finishing wizard city, he might offer you a choice to learn Fire Bats, Cursed Flame, or Fire Beetle. Then later, after Krokotopia, maybe he'd offer to teach you Fire Shark, Fire Serpent, or Fire Wyvern? In addition to the extra spell, it might help make each wizard more unique, since they'd only get to pick one spell each time.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
No, true, he wouldn't have to teach EVERY spell. I like your idea (I had the same one but never posted it lol) about offering a selection of spells. There's just soo many ways to do it, split it by pip cost, level, world, etc. Would be hard to choose a single method that would be fair other than your basic spell progression since there are people who don't do the side quests. The one at the end of each world idea has merit too, as long as it's the end of the main storyline and not all the dungeons, story and side quests. I can think of a few I wouldn't mind having right now lol

I would be fine with choosing which spells I want, though those of us with high levels would have a severe advantage; we could ignore all the low pip/damage spells (unless they were part of our strategy) and go for the big bang ones. I suppose, a way to combat them, would be to force the issue and say:

"Ok, you saved Wizard city, pick a spell from this list:"

"Ok, you saved Krokopatra, choose from this list:"

and just make everybody choose that same way. Maybe not let them choose from the next list till they filled up their choices from the previous list. This way it would be much more fair, and yes, people would get some useless spells, but they'd have access to the powerful ones right away.

The reason I said to change Yellow Fire Elf, is because it seemed a more specialized version of the card, because of the title. Ah well, I just hope ideas like this are explored. I ALSO like the idea of having Ambrose teach us stuff nobody else can, like I suggested earlier (lowering pip cost [treasure cards do this], first attack in the round and combining spells). Perhaps he could do BOTH. Give us bonus school spells AND teach us NONschool spells. It would also allow for greater expansion later on in the game too