Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School Changing

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 11, 2014
I would like there to be school changing in Wizard101. This is the format I would like (you could change it):
Level 1-2 - 0 Crowns
Level 3-5 - 1000 Crowns
Level 6-10 - 1725 Crowns
Level 10-15 - 2150 Crowns
Level 16-20 - 2500 Crowns
Level 21-28 - 3100 Crowns
Level 29-33 - 3495 Crowns
Level 33-38 - 3750 Crowns
Level 39-42 - 4050 Crowns
Level 42-48 - 4375 Crowns
Level 49-58 - 4850 Crowns
Level 59-68 - 5265 Crowns
Level 68-75 - 5775 Crowns
Level 75-82 - 5925 Crowns
Level 83-88 - 6150 Crowns
Level 88-95 - 6500 Crowns
Level 96-99 - 6725 Crowns
Level 100 - 7250 Crowns
Level 100 + Beat Darkmoor - 8500 Crowns

More:
[World for its level] Savior - +1355 Crown Cost
[World for its level] Explorer - +750 Crown Cost
[World for its level] Protector - +750 Crown Cost
Beat Mount Olympus - +1000 Crown Cost
Beat Atlanta - +1750 Crown Cost
Beat Tartarus - +2500 Crown Cost
Earned One in a Million Badge - +1250 Crown Cost
Note: These can stack.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2013
I like this idea(though it would probably be a lot for KI to do) but let me make sure I have this right, so, the amount of crowns spent depends on your level and once you change your school you get all the spells that school has gotten up to your level, but would you also get your training points back? I mean what if you are changing to your secondary school? So training point buyback would be included in the crowns price right? And what about gear, how would that work? I don't expect all these questions to be answered but putting them out there.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Too much work and has been suggested before. It's never been implemented and I don't think it ever will or should be.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
At low levels why bother? If you're not happy with your (up to) level 25-30 wizard, delete and start over -or- just create a new wizard and leave the old one alone for a while. At high levels it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I can't imagine putting all of the effort into questing with a level 60+ wizard just to turn around and change schools. Plus what would the ramifications be regarding the quest-specific spells you've previously received? And then there's all of the school-specific gear and pets you've accumulated which are now virtually useless for this wizard.
I don't see this ever happening and even if this were to be considered I think the Crown costs are way too low. For a change as all-encompassing as this I think the costs should be large enough to make you think about the consequences of what you're doing.
Also - you lost me in the "More:" category... are you proposing buying badges with crowns?

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
It sounds cool, BUT I don't know if this should go in the game. High-level wizards worked very hard in the game and to change your whole set-up, gear, pets, spells, etc, sounds like an extra lot of work.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2015
Was about to post that idea right now :) If they add this i will be so happy too.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
Haha, I too was going to suggest this.

I was also thinking that maybe there could be a feature in which when you reach a certain level
you have the opportunity to accept a quest that will allow you to change schools, and the quest could be retaken as many times as seen fit. Just something for fun, maybe themed according to which school you'd like to change to.

I know this would be a lot of work, but if it cost crowns then that means they would be getting money for it.
I know quite a lot of people who often pay money for this feature in many other games.
For example: Power respec tokens in DCUO.

Seriously, they make a fortune off of that.
It's very profitable. Honest.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
TucsonWizard on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
At low levels why bother? If you're not happy with your (up to) level 25-30 wizard, delete and start over -or- just create a new wizard and leave the old one alone for a while. At high levels it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I can't imagine putting all of the effort into questing with a level 60+ wizard just to turn around and change schools. Plus what would the ramifications be regarding the quest-specific spells you've previously received? And then there's all of the school-specific gear and pets you've accumulated which are now virtually useless for this wizard.
I don't see this ever happening and even if this were to be considered I think the Crown costs are way too low. For a change as all-encompassing as this I think the costs should be large enough to make you think about the consequences of what you're doing.
Also - you lost me in the "More:" category... are you proposing buying badges with crowns?
Getting to level 25-30 requires almost an entire day on the computer or more for most people- starting over from the beginning isn't feasible for everyone, especially if they really aren't sure what school is right for them.

Researching spells and such before you decide helps, but the only way to really know is to try and feel for yourself.
Hence, being able to swap schools without starting over would be great.

As for creating new Wizards and keeping the old ones- Not everyone is okay with being an "altoholic" and they simply want to enjoy the game on one character.

As for the ramifications? There need be none.

The spells would be reset, leaving you with the starter spells for the school you chose, such as Imp, Dark Sprite etc.
Then you can go to Ravenwood and whatnot and get your new set of spells, as appropriate to your current level, and take the new spell quests for your new school.

As for the gear side of things...you might have to get new gear, depending on how you're set up.
Some people use gear that benefit every school and are usable by every school, and there are bundles you can buy that will surely help in that regard as well.

Really, there's no downside to adding this feature. It's an option that many will appreciate and will bring new funding to the game en masse. If it doesn't appeal to you personally, that doesn't mean it's not useful and convenient to others.

As for badges, though that's a completely different topic altogether-
Theres no reason those shouldn't be unlocked account wide really.
If you've earned them already, you've earned them.
I'm not really concerned about badges myself though, really.

Explorer
Oct 12, 2014
This is a terrible idea
I do not want this in the game for the following reason

~ Breaks the fun of MAKING a new character of a different class.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Mister Peanut on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
Getting to level 25-30 requires almost an entire day on the computer or more for most people- starting over from the beginning isn't feasible for everyone, especially if they really aren't sure what school is right for them.

Researching spells and such before you decide helps, but the only way to really know is to try and feel for yourself.
Hence, being able to swap schools without starting over would be great.

As for creating new Wizards and keeping the old ones- Not everyone is okay with being an "altoholic" and they simply want to enjoy the game on one character.

As for the ramifications? There need be none.

The spells would be reset, leaving you with the starter spells for the school you chose, such as Imp, Dark Sprite etc.
Then you can go to Ravenwood and whatnot and get your new set of spells, as appropriate to your current level, and take the new spell quests for your new school.

As for the gear side of things...you might have to get new gear, depending on how you're set up.
Some people use gear that benefit every school and are usable by every school, and there are bundles you can buy that will surely help in that regard as well.

Really, there's no downside to adding this feature. It's an option that many will appreciate and will bring new funding to the game en masse. If it doesn't appeal to you personally, that doesn't mean it's not useful and convenient to others.

As for badges, though that's a completely different topic altogether-
Theres no reason those shouldn't be unlocked account wide really.
If you've earned them already, you've earned them.
I'm not really concerned about badges myself though, really.
If your spells are reset leaving you with starter spells then there you are with a level 30 character with no firepower. Going to Ravenwood to get your new set of spells just seems to me to be a rather simplistic approach. Taking the new spell quests for your new school is going to take as much time as starting a new character and it's going to be monotonous having to go through all of the low-level battles and collecting missions again. The time you mentioned it takes to get to level 25-30 ("an entire day") is now going to be spent anyway re-doing all of these menial tasks.
This is really not about whether this appeals to me personally, I'm simply addressing the functionality of this kind of sweeping change. The reason for this forum is to present ideas and get feedback from others. This is my feedback. I'm just pointing out details that I think would be impacted.
There's also something to be said for continuity of the story line and how it would be affected by the switch. I think it would detract from the immersive nature of the game. I'm sure there are lots of other folks like yourself that would like to see something like this implemented and that's fine. There are aspects of the game that I don't care for and therefor don't participate in, and this would just be added to my list.

Respectfully,

an "altoholic"

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
TucsonWizard on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
If your spells are reset leaving you with starter spells then there you are with a level 30 character with no firepower. Going to Ravenwood to get your new set of spells just seems to me to be a rather simplistic approach. Taking the new spell quests for your new school is going to take as much time as starting a new character and it's going to be monotonous having to go through all of the low-level battles and collecting missions again. The time you mentioned it takes to get to level 25-30 ("an entire day") is now going to be spent anyway re-doing all of these menial tasks.
This is really not about whether this appeals to me personally, I'm simply addressing the functionality of this kind of sweeping change. The reason for this forum is to present ideas and get feedback from others. This is my feedback. I'm just pointing out details that I think would be impacted.
There's also something to be said for continuity of the story line and how it would be affected by the switch. I think it would detract from the immersive nature of the game. I'm sure there are lots of other folks like yourself that would like to see something like this implemented and that's fine. There are aspects of the game that I don't care for and therefor don't participate in, and this would just be added to my list.

Respectfully,

an "altoholic"
It takes a few minutes at the most surely to click the home button, find your new mentor and restock your new spells. I suppose it would not be unreasonable for them to simply be autogranted.

As a higher level wizard completing the spell quests for the lower levels would surely prove to be a cinch and could be done within a few hours or less I imagine.

Completing the higher level spell quests again and regearing yourself appropriately is indeed troublesome- I'm not arguing with that. However, the alternative of starting over from level 1 seems far more troublesome, especially if you're in the 80-100 range.

Yes, I understand this is your feedback- this is a message board, feedback is what this part of the site is all about.

I'm not quite sure why you felt the need to elaborate on that, but yes, I concur.

Likewise, this is me exchanging ideas with you based on your feedback.

I too saw an issue with the storyline and immersion, and I had something in mind-
a story quest for those who decide to switch.

Like, you can switch, but you have to defeat a bunch of bosses & enemy mobs and collect certain items so you can perform a ritual or some flimflam like that, etc.

If it feels like I'm trying to argue, please rest assured I am not.
I simply have a contrasting mindset-
I'm more of a "How can it be made to work?"
rather than a "How will this negatively impact?" kind of guy...

Respectfully, someone who has deleted and recreated characters an unhealthy amount of times...

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
DeliciousGloves on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
This is a terrible idea
I do not want this in the game for the following reason

~ Breaks the fun of MAKING a new character of a different class.
To call it a terrible idea is kinda harsh.
It's a great idea, it just doesn't appeal to you personally.

You won't be impaired if this idea get's implemented.
You'll still be able to create new character's of a different class.

Those who have no desire to start over but would like to switch schools however would surely appreciate this feature.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
This idea is more and more appealing the higher level I reach.

I'm almost level 53 now, and I'm already getting sick of balance.

I don't want to start over again, so being able to switch schools would be so nice...

Survivor
Aug 06, 2013
As I say I think for every level you put there it should be 500 crowns for a fair trade. and for the lvl 1-2 is correct 0.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
I don't know, I kind of have a neutral feeling towards this. Maybe raise Crown value? And you get back your training points, and you get the spells the way Mr. Peanut said. It's important to raise the cost IMO, or else I can see stubborn people, with deeeeeeep pockets abusing the system every time they reach a boss. Example:

The Pendragon is a cheat boss in Avalon. Even if I have never faced him I'm well aware of his cheats. The most devastating one is a DoT that damages you for 200 rounds, essentially infinite. I can see people switching to in order to use the spell where you get rid of a DoT and give it to an enemy, which has no negative effects on you.

So yea, higher crowns cost. Maybe about 20K max? Without any of those special conditions you mentioned.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
Max Sterling on May 20, 2015 wrote:
I don't know, I kind of have a neutral feeling towards this. Maybe raise Crown value? And you get back your training points, and you get the spells the way Mr. Peanut said. It's important to raise the cost IMO, or else I can see stubborn people, with deeeeeeep pockets abusing the system every time they reach a boss. Example:

The Pendragon is a cheat boss in Avalon. Even if I have never faced him I'm well aware of his cheats. The most devastating one is a DoT that damages you for 200 rounds, essentially infinite. I can see people switching to in order to use the spell where you get rid of a DoT and give it to an enemy, which has no negative effects on you.

So yea, higher crowns cost. Maybe about 20K max? Without any of those special conditions you mentioned.
Yeah, I feel if it's going to be implemented, it better be profitable-
but not too far out of price range.

I mean, as far as PVE instances are concerned, deep pockets can rely on those minions...
so that's already...I mean, hey, if that's how they'd rather play, by paying their way, fine, so long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage in PVP no problem...

Btw I deleted my balance wizard a few days after having him restored...
I feel bad because the customer support people went out of their way to help me when the lost pages event started by restoring him...but I really HATED being balance. Level 55 balance wizard, Bradley, bye bye forever.

Necromancy sure enough is my kinda school.
Like I said elsewhere, in games, I always play the drainer when one is available.
Now if only I didn't need to throw away weeks of grinding...
if only I could have just changed schools...

No, I couldn't have just kept both-
I still would have had to start over either way to be a necromancer,
and Bradley my Sorcerer would never be played again anyway.

I hate Balance. I'm sorry, I just...despised it.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Mister Peanut on May 30, 2015 wrote:
Yeah, I feel if it's going to be implemented, it better be profitable-
but not too far out of price range.

I mean, as far as PVE instances are concerned, deep pockets can rely on those minions...
so that's already...I mean, hey, if that's how they'd rather play, by paying their way, fine, so long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage in PVP no problem...

Btw I deleted my balance wizard a few days after having him restored...
I feel bad because the customer support people went out of their way to help me when the lost pages event started by restoring him...but I really HATED being balance. Level 55 balance wizard, Bradley, bye bye forever.

Necromancy sure enough is my kinda school.
Like I said elsewhere, in games, I always play the drainer when one is available.
Now if only I didn't need to throw away weeks of grinding...
if only I could have just changed schools...

No, I couldn't have just kept both-
I still would have had to start over either way to be a necromancer,
and Bradley my Sorcerer would never be played again anyway.

I hate Balance. I'm sorry, I just...despised it.
Well, I guess everyone has their favorite role in games. I myself like the tank. But you're correct, it would be needless to raise the crown value so much, as people can already use henchmen.

And grinding sure is annoying. Especially since this game is turn-based. Even if you can OHKO an enemy you still have to wait. But I don't think any game I have played has had the class changing feature.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
like to see the deer knight death card be part of the death school?
to get the DK card you will need to be a necromancer.
can not use training points for the DK card.
level 10 death quest(S) to get it?