Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Text Filters need to be updated (With Story)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
This story is to influence better text filtering in Wizard101

So here was the case. I joined a 4v4 in practice pvp matchmaking. It was however, slightly different from my point of view. So, one of my teammates was talking to my team saying: "Wow, I just noticed they were warlords." And I said: "Same." Also, another teammate named Luke TrollBreath was talking about how "Pvp Warlords" act and how they play. By default, mostly everyone knows how warlords act with gameplay. Not in a rude way, but most warlords use treasure cards by default. I was talking about that with my teammates. The opposing teammates decided to talk with us, but also decided to instigate a fight with our teammates. I didnt see the point in this argument. and all of us started to call each other kids. A girl named: "Angela Sky" was telling me I have problems with myself, which I wasnt hesitant to say I wasn't. I asked her to leave, to end an argument, but she still continued on her way out of the pvp. This does upset me. The whole team was arguing with my team, after my team was appointing facts of the other team.
3 Minutes after the pvp match, a girl named Saffron started using capital letters in her text, and was telling me to shut up. I didnt understand this because she wasnt even in the arena until the end of the game. Also, another player named Dakota SpellHammer came in the argument, and was being fully racist, bypassing the filters of Wizard101. He was forcing me to pvp with him, which I said no to, and then started attacking me with shameful words that I cannot say in here.

I am a peaceful person, yet if someone decides to argue with me, I will argue back, but I would not let it get to the point of bypassing the text filters.

So, what I am saying by this story is that the problem with the filters is that you can still bypass it, even if the wording is made different.

Kingsisle, this is one of the major problems that needs to be fixed.
Thank you for the help!
-John BearShade.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
John BearShade on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:

So here was the case. I joined a 4v4 in practice pvp matchmaking. It was however, slightly different from my point of view. So, one of my teammates was talking to my team saying: "Wow, I just noticed they were warlords." And I said: "Same." Also, another teammate named Luke TrollBreath was talking about how "Pvp Warlords" act and how they play. By default, mostly everyone knows how warlords act with gameplay. Not in a rude way, but most warlords use treasure cards by default. I was talking about that with my teammates. The opposing teammates decided to talk with us, but also decided to instigate a fight with our teammates. I didnt see the point in this argument. and all of us started to call each other kids. A girl named: "Angela Sky" was telling me I have problems with myself, which I wasnt hesitant to say I wasn't. I asked her to leave, to end an argument, but she still continued on her way out of the pvp. This does upset me. The whole team was arguing with my team, after my team was appointing facts of the other team.
3 Minutes after the pvp match, a girl named Saffron started using capital letters in her text, and was telling me to shut up. I didnt understand this because she wasnt even in the arena until the end of the game. Also, another player named Dakota SpellHammer came in the argument, and was being fully racist, bypassing the filters of Wizard101. He was forcing me to pvp with him, which I said no to, and then started attacking me with shameful words that I cannot say in here.

I am a peaceful person, yet if someone decides to argue with me, I will argue back, but I would not let it get to the point of bypassing the text filters.

So, what I am saying by this story is that the problem with the filters is that you can still bypass it, even if the wording is made different.

Thank you for the help!
-John BearShade.
If someone is swearing or being racist around the chat filters, report them. That is what the report button is for. As for the argument, it seems like you provoked them, although that is not a reason to start swearing and being racist around the filters.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011

Thank you for the help!
-John BearShade.
You can report people who curse or swear around the filters. Also, the ignore button is a handy little tool to use when people are annoying you.

Better luck in the future,
Wolf Skullslinger

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

Thank you for the help!
-John BearShade.
Anyone swearing or threatening can be reported. No one can "force you to PvP." Bullying is not acceptable.

However, if your team had just chosen to ignore everything instead of getting into a duel of words, it never would have escalated to this. What they did was try to psych ya'll out. It worked.

Saffron was not doing anything 'illegal' she was just being annoying ... and was probably tired of the bickering. You should have ignored her.

The racist remarks, etc. should have been reported and the person ignored. Same with the bully if there were threats made.

Report, ignore and leave are options you chose not to use. It's not a big deal... but don't argue back and expect to get sympathy.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
Thanks guys this really helped. This should help me in the future. You are all correct on this matter, I should've ignored them when I had the chance. And true, I believe I did provoke them.
I apologize for that.

Once again, thanks!

-John Bearshade

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
John BearShade on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:
Thanks guys this really helped. This should help me in the future. You are all correct on this matter, I should've ignored them when I had the chance. And true, I believe I did provoke them.
I apologize for that.

Once again, thanks!

-John Bearshade
provoked or not, it is against the terms of use to threaten or verbally abuse another player.

swearing, slurs, and graphic or violent language should all be reported immediately. ki views all chat logs and, if it is determined that the player violated the terms of use, it will result in sanctions to that player's account.

nothing is wrong with the use of capital letters. but, if saffron was using them to circumvent the filter, then she should have been reported also.

-von

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
If it was my wizard that you where fighting she calls names. But when she really mad she only players that can hear it are open chat. But she was fighting a TC warlord though and I made him laugh so hard he did a heal spell though and I friended and gave him a gift for his lost his name was Logan Sand. So not all names calling are mean they can be funny also.

Amy lvl 86

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
kymma shadow on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
If it was my wizard that you where fighting she calls names. But when she really mad she only players that can hear it are open chat. But she was fighting a TC warlord though and I made him laugh so hard he did a heal spell though and I friended and gave him a gift for his lost his name was Logan Sand. So not all names calling are mean they can be funny also.

Amy lvl 86
i fail to see how abusing other players is funny.

it doesn't matter what your intentions were. if your words make someone feel bad, or if you need to go around the filters to say them, it is abuse and, therefore, a violation of the game rules.

i'm glad that the person you did this to was so forgiving. but, if that had been me across from you in the dueling ring, we would not be friends.

-von

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
kymma shadow on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:

Amy lvl 86
You think name-calling is a joke? This is the source all the nonsense in the spiral these days. Not everyone thinks your name-calling is funny or a joke. Some people take it seriously and their feelings get hurt. Your name-calling can be considered bullying which isn't good.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:

it doesn't matter what your intentions were. if your words make someone feel bad, or if you need to go around the filters to say them, it is abuse and, therefore, a violation of the game rules.

i'm glad that the person you did this to was so forgiving. but, if that had been me across from you in the dueling ring, we would not be friends.

-von
The warlord was being quit and he didn't report me but someone that just parted in did report Amy.
So I report her back so she wouldn't get muted and it wasn't against any king isle rules. Amy might have said but head to the warlord but it was to get the warlord to speak to her. She likes to talk to hers enemies not just To be ignored by them. So if you think it rude to try get them to talk back.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
kymma shadow on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
The warlord was being quit and he didn't report me but someone that just parted in did report Amy.
So I report her back so she wouldn't get muted and it wasn't against any king isle rules. Amy might have said but head to the warlord but it was to get the warlord to speak to her. She likes to talk to hers enemies not just To be ignored by them. So if you think it rude to try get them to talk back.
1) yes, you were reported because you broke the rules when you called your opponent that name (again, if you have to go around the filters to say it, it is abuse).

2) reporting someone who reports you is not a reportable offense and could result in sanctions against your account, especially if ki knows that you are a repeat offender.

3) your enemies have a very good reason for not talking to you. If they talk during the match, you can see their stats~ I don't talk during the match, but will chat with someone afterward if she (or he) says 'gg' or whatever, regardless of who won.

It's not rude to talk to people, though it puts you at a serious disadvantage in the fight. It is, however, rude to call names or use euphemisms for curse words around the filter. If you want to 'be noticed' by someone (and if you absolutely must speak during the match), a simple 'hi' or 'gg' will suffice.

-von

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
I have to say this could've been prevented, by you. You should've ignored/reported this person, instead you continued to argue; which wasn't right. People in this game need to understand, the ignore/report button was made for a reason.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
Dr Von on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:

-von
Abusing players are not funny, von. It's the way they abuse you, sometimes I laugh at people trying to make an attempt to make fun or hurt my feelings, it is humors to me in fact.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
1) yes, you were reported because you broke the rules when you called your opponent that name (again, if you have to go around the filters to say it, it is abuse).

2) reporting someone who reports you is not a reportable offense and could result in sanctions against your account, especially if ki knows that you are a repeat offender.

3) your enemies have a very good reason for not talking to you. If they talk during the match, you can see their stats~ I don't talk during the match, but will chat with someone afterward if she (or he) says 'gg' or whatever, regardless of who won.

It's not rude to talk to people, though it puts you at a serious disadvantage in the fight. It is, however, rude to call names or use euphemisms for curse words around the filter. If you want to 'be noticed' by someone (and if you absolutely must speak during the match), a simple 'hi' or 'gg' will suffice.

-von
That wasn't a bad word in away to me because I did use a bad word after that and the only people that could see the bad words are open chats. And the warlord didn't hear the bad word only dots because he's text chat so when I get mad I make sure that the other warlord or wizard can't see it only the crowd can if they have open chat. And I don't think king isle can stop it. And I get called worse name then but head.

From others warlords because I like to only play as girls on it

And who cares if a guys plays has just girls and girls sometimes play as just guys.

And I think you might find out what I'm in real life.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
kymma shadow on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
That wasn't a bad word in away to me because I did use a bad word after that and the only people that could see the bad words are open chats. And the warlord didn't hear the bad word only dots because he's text chat so when I get mad I make sure that the other warlord or wizard can't see it only the crowd can if they have open chat. And I don't think king isle can stop it. And I get called worse name then but head.

From others warlords because I like to only play as girls on it

And who cares if a guys plays has just girls and girls sometimes play as just guys.

And I think you might find out what I'm in real life.
Nonetheless, you did say the bad word and you went around filters to do it. While you may not be punished for that one time, doing it multiple times does add up. Besides, while it may not matter to you, there are children who lie about their age just to get open chat. That's why cursing is frowned upon even in open chat. If you really have to, I'd recommend saying it in private or group chat to someone who doesn't mind if you curse.

And yes, sadly, foul language flows freely in the PvP arena from hot-headed individuals. The best I can recommend is report, ignore, port away and switch realms. It's an old and often repeated suggestion, but it works.

No matter what, my best advice is when in PvP keep a cool head. I do better when I'm able to think clearly and without thoughts interrupted by something like "He just said that to me? I should think up a sarcastic response back!" Keeping a cool head allows you to observe your opponent(s) and, should they start calling you names, your staying calm and collected will speak volumes more for you than it will for them.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
TheRealBlaze on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
Abusing players are not funny, von. It's the way they abuse you, sometimes I laugh at people trying to make an attempt to make fun or hurt my feelings, it is humors to me in fact.
yes, likewise; most attempts to make me feel "bad' are rather laughable.

that said, i am an adult and wear my big-girl pants at all times~ the arena is a toxic sludge pit of venom and vitriol, and i enter at my own risk, fully understanding that i will get called names and cursed at. but what if the person on the receiving end of those petty jabs is a 10 year-old? and don't let chat abilities fool you~ children can have open chat too, if it is given to them by the adult who pays for the account.

whether they're afraid or simply don't want to rock the boat, i use my voice to advocate for those who can't or won't use their own.

@kymma, i have no idea where that last comment came from, or what it has to do with anything, but i play girl and boy wizards too. and i don't care which you are because, frankly, that's none of my business or concern.

-von "no idea why everyone on these boards thinks i'm a dude" shadowsong

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry I said any rude things about others wizard and I'm a adult also when I said but head I meant it as a joke if I wanted to be rude I will said it in open chat where the text chat couldn't see it.

And I'm sorry Also calling people fat on there.

Amy lvl 86 See you around the spiral and in rank pvp.