Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Monster AI

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2013
So recently I have been thinking about monster AI a fair amount, but just when I thought I understood it, something happened that made me completely rethink it.

My understanding was that monsters are simply more likely to cast lower ranking spells that higher ranking ones. I thought that there was a specific rating for each pip to be chosen, starting the highest at zero pips and going down as the pips went up. This explains a lot of things.

For example, remember how as soon as any of the monsters knew shields and weaknesses, they spammed them constantly? Well, that's probably because of this. Remember how you hardly ever saw street mobs casting spells higher than rank 4? Again, this explains that. And remember how malistaire (the non-cheating version) would spam dark sprite after he ran out of pips? Same thing.

For me, it made perfect sense when in Celestia they gave street mobs power pips. To eliminate this problem. They also got rid of almost all spells less than 4 pips in Celestia, making it virtually (*cough* wild bolt) impossible for mobs to spam rank 1s, 2s, and 3s.

Ices in Celestia spammed tower right? Well this is where I started thinking I was smart. According to me back then, that was because their chance rating went something like this:
Tower shield: 800
Ice blade: 800
Ice kraken: 200
Icezilla: 150
Frost giant: 100

Dragonspyre mobs~
Tower: 800
Ice blade: 800
Weakness: 800
Beetle: 700
Serpent: 600
Snowman: 500
Shark: 500
etc.

Makes sense right?

But then Avalon came along and this went out the window. You rarely ever see avalon ices casting tower. They would much rather cast a blade or aura. Why is this?

Code changes? Probably.

Maybe they were listening to us about annoying towers.

AND THEN AZTECA CAME!
No more earthquakes? There has to be deeper coding here.

So does each spell have it's own probability for it's own monster?

The storm caiman just spams natural attacks, kind of like malistaire with dark sprite.
So is that a no? Tell me what you think.

Part 2: agro?

I initially thought that a monster got more aggravated at you when you attacked it, and then more likely to attack you. But then I read somewhere that they get aggravated at whoever has the most blades.
... and monsters know enfeeble?
Obviously they can't just cast it when the wizard has no blades, so they must know.

I saw a video a while ago where a wizard had upwards of 10 blades, and was in second or third place. The boss casted enfeeble on him. How did it know? Was it just aggravated at him or is there some even more serious AI going on here? Or did it just get aggravated because he had blades? Would it have cast it if he didn't have blades? Has the old agro system gone out the window or are the two systems coexisting? Will taunt and distract still work?

Please someone answer these questions because I am so confused right now

Charles Seagiver level 85