Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Training is not reliable.....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
So as we all know, pet training can be frustrating.
But this crossed the line. so I buy a few mega snack packs right?
I train a pet
It gets a pet derby talent at teen
I curse the game
train another pet
yet another derby talent at teen
trains again
and yet again, ANOTHER PET TALENT
and then, I have no mega snacks left.

In my opinion, pets should have set talents in first generation.
AND No more Derby talents. Derby racing is not that popular.
I think hybrids should be the sort of "I have no idea what this pet will get" type of thing, and I think that's good.

But here is a fix for the problem.
Add a new pet stat, name doesn't matter.
and what this pet stat is, is every time you feed your pet a snack, they get this stat, but ONLY from snacks. the better the snacks, the more you get. Then when your pet levels up to Teen, Adult, whatever, they get a talent based on the amount of this stat, so if you used broccoli to rank the pet up, then you'll get a bad talent. if you use say, fancy yogurt, you'll get a REALLY good talent. This would encourage buying mega snacks. This would also encourage people leveling there pets up higher then adult, because the higher they go, the better the talents get.
And like I said before, the derby talents are horrible. I'm all for separate derby talents, but the non-derby talents, the one that effects you in battle, should have NOTHING to do with derby.

I hope you liked my ideas

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
I stopped reading after you said they should have set talents, no. Some people want pet talents so they can derby race and your claim that not many people even use pet derby that's wrong too, I know about 1-3 people who love to pet derby almost everyday, having set talents removes the purpose of 'random", You used pet snacks on your own reason, they don't define what a pet has/ is made of, it is all chosen at random, what you seem to have is a selfish talent, it's a talent that type of pet loves, and it gets continuously through it's generations because, it's selfish. Don't complain if your pet fails, keep trying it's what I did/am doing. I don't have a perfect pet yet mine is good.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
UnBalancedWizard on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
I train a pet
I curse the game
train another pet
trains again

I think hybrids should be the sort of "I have no idea what this pet will get" type of thing, and I think that's good.

and what this pet stat is, is every time you feed your pet a snack, they get this stat, but ONLY from snacks. the better the snacks, the more you get. Then when your pet levels up to Teen, Adult, whatever, they get a talent based on the amount of this stat, so if you used broccoli to rank the pet up, then you'll get a bad talent. if you use say, fancy yogurt, you'll get a REALLY good talent. This would encourage buying mega snacks. This would also encourage people leveling there pets up higher then adult, because the higher they go, the better the talents get.
And like I said before, the derby talents are horrible. I'm all for separate derby talents, but the non-derby talents, the one that effects you in battle, should have NOTHING to do with derby.

Talents are set when you hatch, not when you train. Hatch pets with better talents in their pool. Don't bother training pets with a lot of common talents. Hatch those out of them. There's really good guides for pets on central.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
I( and I must emphasize the word: I) believe that you should be able to pick the talents you get on your pet. If you ever press the "I" key on your keyboard. It shows rare or common or epic and so on, so when we level the pet, why not be able to chose one of them? It's still random because you don't really know what's behind it. Pet with 5 epic slots, which one should I pick? 0: I think that would make it a little exciting as well.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Pet hatching can be frustrating at times yes, especially when you spend crowns on mega snacks and then pets don't get the traits you hoped for.

But I totally agree with both MigueltheFirst and seethe42 here. It takes patience and persistence to get great pets, and the traits are all set at the moment of hatching. KI set up a fairly good system for hatching pets that somewhat mimics what happens in real life pet breeding -- it is their little pet genetics model. And the model is "nature" "not "nurture." The traits are just revealed as the pet trains, they are not created at that point.

They have also given very extensive guides on Wizard101Central for how to develop pets you want. Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
MiguelThefirst on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
I stopped reading after you said they should have set talents, no. Some people want pet talents so they can derby race and your claim that not many people even use pet derby that's wrong too, I know about 1-3 people who love to pet derby almost everyday, having set talents removes the purpose of 'random", You used pet snacks on your own reason, they don't define what a pet has/ is made of, it is all chosen at random, what you seem to have is a selfish talent, it's a talent that type of pet loves, and it gets continuously through it's generations because, it's selfish. Don't complain if your pet fails, keep trying it's what I did/am doing. I don't have a perfect pet yet mine is good.
Actually, I Derby a lot, and I have not found those talents useful at all. The only thing the do is make it so cheering costs less (on certain surfaces) and I always cheer on Cobblestone anyways, which always costs the same. And from what I've seen most of Pet Derbying happens at teen level, and 30 more in a certain talent isn't going to help at all. So, if that's what's keeping those useless talents in the game, then I don't see a problem at all.

Haley MoonHeart, Promethean Thaumagture, Pet Derby Warlord

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
If you made it where higher rank per snacks made the pets get better talents, then what would happen? The people with crowns would a lot of the time have better pets. You might as well suggest that you should be able to pay however many crowns to get a better talent, or to even pick your talent. To get the talents you want, you must hatch again and again. I have made around 15 hatches and am now consistently getting the talents I want. You can almost get any talent you want by hatching. I have pets with selfish (derby) talents. It is very frustrating. The solution to your problem: patience. Be patient and hatch and also don't use mega snacks if you don't need to. Regular snacks work just as good. And to Kingsisle not making as much money? I believe they make just as much because people are having to hatch more now to get the talents they want. Hatching takes time and people want mega snacks to speed it up. So basically they will not do this because it is unfair to some players, not only to people who don't have crowns, but also to the people who are willing to put time into hatching.

Dustin Sky

Survivor
Jul 20, 2011
I have hatched pets many times and they almost always get pet derby talents. The cost sometimes is too much if you are a low level wizard. But with hatching it is a good way to get a pet just like you want it. If it gave you two or three options on which talent you wanted you wouldn't have to hatch as much and you can use the gold of clothing for your character.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Jellybeans yummy on Dec 3, 2013 wrote:
I( and I must emphasize the word: I) believe that you should be able to pick the talents you get on your pet. If you ever press the "I" key on your keyboard. It shows rare or common or epic and so on, so when we level the pet, why not be able to chose one of them? It's still random because you don't really know what's behind it. Pet with 5 epic slots, which one should I pick? 0: I think that would make it a little exciting as well.
The slots are always in the same order, it's mapped out. There would be nothing random about it at all. You know all the talents from the parents in the hatch. It would be simple to just choose the 5 talents you want and have a perfect hatch every time. This will never happen.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
UnBalancedWizard on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
I train a pet
I curse the game
train another pet
trains again

I am surprised KI has not had a buy it now on this type of thing.

KI will take any of your pets and remove a non wanted talent and put talent xxx in its place for 99.00 USD!

for 399 USD KI will take ANY pet you already have and place 5 talents of your choice into the pet.

Delux package for 499USD ki will give you any pet model of your choice, with any card of your choice and also 5 talents of your choice and the stats of the pet will all be 250 but this pet is NOT hatachable with any others.

I bet there would be tons of takers! or just a price to see all the non acctive stuff in pets would be cool too.

Cheers,

I dont hate the failed pet system it keeps me playing.. SPUF i can make all day long and others struggle to get that... but now a 3x critical and 2x damage pet? hmm i am struggling but i am sure others have it comes easy :D