Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm has no elemental opposite

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
This is something that doesn't make sense to me. Fire has Ice, Death has Life, Balance has none (at the moment), but Storm has Myth? An elemental school has a non elemental school as it's opposite makes no sense to me. I'm just trying to understand why Storm and Myth are linked other than the "needing an oppositional school" reason.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Storm is the highest base attack elemental school while myth is the highest base attack spiritual school. Plus they had no other choice since fire is an obvious opposite of ice while death is an obvious opposite of life. Although once reaching Celestia storm will not only boot of myth enemies but also fire enemies.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
With only three schools on each "team" you are bound to have one school that doesn't have an elemental opposite. I am also puzzled why Myth and Storm are opposites. I guess you could rationalize it by saying myth magic glorifies relics of the past, whereas storm magic seeks to tear them down and sunder them.

Another way of looking at it is trolls and cyclopes are the jocks and tough guys everyone is afraid of, and storm is the skinny kid with thick glasses nobody pays attention to until it's too late, when he has built the doomsday machine in shop class and suddenly the Pentagon is very interested in him.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
I have a few suggestions:
Storm is the power of creativity in science, the creation of power from the mind gathered from ones surroundings. It is a physical power to manipulate that which is already here, to reconstruct it into storm. Myth on hte other hand is the power of the mind from the mind? It's creativity in it's fullest, creating magneficant creatures from nothing. Storm looks to improve the future, myth is to look back to gain strength from the past. Either that or they ran out of schools for opposites.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
dayerider on Apr 13, 2013 wrote:
This is something that doesn't make sense to me. Fire has Ice, Death has Life, Balance has none (at the moment), but Storm has Myth? An elemental school has a non elemental school as it's opposite makes no sense to me. I'm just trying to understand why Storm and Myth are linked other than the "needing an oppositional school" reason.
I have an idea why, but I'm not sure it's right...

Storm is creative, while myth is using already made stories/legends.

Defender
Oct 24, 2010
I was asking people this also and they said it's because storm is more technology and myth is more ancient.

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
I guess myth and storm are opposites because storm is inventing things for the future and myth is all about the past.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
crunkatog on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
With only three schools on each "team" you are bound to have one school that doesn't have an elemental opposite. I am also puzzled why Myth and Storm are opposites. I guess you could rationalize it by saying myth magic glorifies relics of the past, whereas storm magic seeks to tear them down and sunder them.

Another way of looking at it is trolls and cyclopes are the jocks and tough guys everyone is afraid of, and storm is the skinny kid with thick glasses nobody pays attention to until it's too late, when he has built the doomsday machine in shop class and suddenly the Pentagon is very interested in him.
What a perfect explanation!

I was thinking that it was because Myth explains scientific happenings with fictional stories while Storm is like the modern scientists who know how scientific happenings work through science.

Or it could be that purple (storm) and yellow (myth) are opposites on the color wheel.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
The way I see it, Storm combines both Ice (rain) and Fire (lightening), and Myth encompasses both Life and Death.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
In my opinion I think myth has to do with creativity. On the other hand storm has to do with reality.

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
AstroStorm on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
I have a few suggestions:
Storm is the power of creativity in science, the creation of power from the mind gathered from ones surroundings. It is a physical power to manipulate that which is already here, to reconstruct it into storm. Myth on hte other hand is the power of the mind from the mind? It's creativity in it's fullest, creating magneficant creatures from nothing. Storm looks to improve the future, myth is to look back to gain strength from the past. Either that or they ran out of schools for opposites.
your answer was BY FAR the best :)

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
--> I agree that Storm and Myth make strange opposites.

--> If you want to get philosophically creative you could probably make any school the opposite of another.

--> Not all schools need to have an opposite. Why should all schools have an opposite? Our sense of symmetry suggests that because some schools have an opposite all must. Lots of things in life don't have an opposite.

--> Instead of an opposite, wouldn't it be cool of some schools were aligned?

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
The other thing is that storm and myth are both sort of "garbage dumpster" schools of uncertain affinities.

Storm is actually a hodgepodge of wind, electricity, water, and chthonic (titanic) magic. That's how you get giant sea monsters and windstorms and junk bolts and Storm Lord all in the same bundle. There are, in fact, a lot of mythic themes in Storm: giant archaic monsters out of norse legends, giant archaic monsters out of Greek legends, giant archaic monsters out of biblical legends, etc.

Myth is likewise a catch-all school for things that don't seem to fit in with the treehugging Life school or the vampiric death school. Technically, Myth has a large proportion of very Storm-like themes: Medusa the child of sea monsters, Humongofrog which is a very overgrown version of Halston Balestrom's own species. These two opposite schools also seem to have more than their share of shield and charm scrubbing and combat disruption.

They are two sides of the same coin, more so than any other pair of opposites, since one can't be said to be diametrically opposed to the other.