Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What's so great about armor piercing?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 30, 2014
So recently on my Myth wizard, I got armor piercing for my cunning seal pup pet. I was a little disappointed to be honest, because I see no major use for armor piercing. I was happy about it giving me myth assailant, because that helps me critical more, but what's good about armor piercing? I know that, for example, if I have 3% armor piercing and attack an enemy with a -50% tower shield, the tower shield will become a -47% tower shield, but there are always wand hits and cards such as pierce that can easily get rid of the tower shield, making my attack do even more damage than attacking with the armor piercing and making the tower shield weaker.
Also, for the myth enemies I face, I'll just use converts! Armor piercing won't help me there either.

I really don't see the usefulness of the armor breaker (gives armor piercing) pet talent. Can someone tell me if there even is a use for it?

Also, I think that the talent should give 5% armor piercing. 3% doesn't seem worth it.

Apparently you can use gear and jewels and all that to increase armor piercing to around 20% or 30%, which seems quite useful, but with armor piercing gear, would the other stats, such as resistance, be lessened, considering it will most likely be offense-based gear?

And for my FINAL question, does armor piercing work against enemies that use fortify?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
As an Wizard. I think that Pierce is the dumbest thing to be introduced. Yes it does work against fortify and the shields as you have described it also works against resist from clothing.

You are kind of forced to use it later. For example Rasputin has minion things that have over 100% resist that you must pierce through to kill. So while it may not be entirely useful at the moment you may come to like your pet in the later levels after Avalon. Because it does help you go through shields.

I don't know for sure on the gear question, but probably. Anyway good luck.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
It's totally pointless in PVE so they made sure to introduce one battle at the end of Polaris that requires it. It's still totally pointless, they've just artificially created a reason to have it. I would assume it does have a purpose in PVP though since our wizards generally have universal resist so prisms wouldn't have much use in that situation. Im sure going into the future those of us unable to acquire high pierce gear from insane cheating dungeons will continue to be punished in PVE. I can see them continuing the unfortunate trend of giving enemies crazy high resist to all schools.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Iridian010 on Jun 15, 2016 wrote:
It's totally pointless in PVE so they made sure to introduce one battle at the end of Polaris that requires it. It's still totally pointless, they've just artificially created a reason to have it. I would assume it does have a purpose in PVP though since our wizards generally have universal resist so prisms wouldn't have much use in that situation. Im sure going into the future those of us unable to acquire high pierce gear from insane cheating dungeons will continue to be punished in PVE. I can see them continuing the unfortunate trend of giving enemies crazy high resist to all schools.
It is NOT totally pointless in PVE.

PVE is all I do, and having a high pierce means I don't have to work nearly so hard against bosses that have high resist to my attack. And some have incredibly high resist.

It means that the astral spell fortify doesn't protect against me as much, that when a boss or minion puts up a shield against my attack instead of it protecing 80% it only protects 14% (i have a high pierce).

it is VERY useful in PVE, not just against rasputin.