Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How long does it take to finish the game?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 15, 2015
I'm a level 49 sorcerer and I recently defeated malastaire and unlocked celestia after I played for a little over a month. I know some people go at different rates because my friend who is playing at the exact same time as me is on still on Marleybone. I was wondering if some exalted wizards could tell me about how long it took them to finish Khysalis(I know that won't be the end of the game anymore soon because Polaris). I wanna know because I don't know if I should buy a six month membership because after I become exalted I'm gonna take a break for a couple months. Also since this is my first time doing this game and my friend is behind me, I don't really know at all what to expect so ya please comment how long it took you!

-Sierra Pearl

Delver
May 12, 2012
Hi, I'm not an exalted, but some of my friends that passed me are.

It basically matters how much you quest and for how long. If you quest for 6 hours a day, you have a good chance of getting there quickly. If you quest a hour or two a week (like me) then you might be behind some levels. Beware: Zafaria takes forever.
Good luck
~ Allison Dragongem

Survivor
Jul 23, 2014
Oh man interesting question. I have multiple exalted wizards and I can tell you it all depends on how long and how intensely you quest. My first wizard I ever made was a death wizard. I started playing because my older siblings got into it and I joined with my friends from school. We were in elementary school then and had plenty of time to quest. (One of my friends was Balance, and the other two were fire). We got to max level in about 3 months maybe 4 Then again 7 years ago max level was 50. We then quested together through all the updates until max level which we reached early 2014. While in between updates all of us started new wizards and me specifically a life, balance, and fire. From start to finish my life took about 5 months with the help of exalted wizards and prior knowledge of the game. Most of my time was spent questing in the summer so if you have a lot on your plate it might take more. If you ever need help questing just ask, I am always willing to help although sometimes it might be tricky because I am a junior in high school. Best of luck to you
Wolf Silver

Survivor
May 30, 2011
Hello there,(again)

I'm not an exalted, either, but I've been playing for a couple of years now and I'm still at Zafaria.(maybe because I took long breaks from the game to do some other things) I'm way behind my friend, who plays Wizard101, and is around 10 levels ahead of me.

I believe that it may take a couple years to complete the game, but if you play everyday, then you'll probably progress faster than others.

And it's true! I was on Wizard101 for a week and played on it for about half the day everyday and I'm only halfway done with Zafaria!

Samanatha NightGarden

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Mythali126 on Oct 20, 2015 wrote:
Hi, I'm not an exalted, but some of my friends that passed me are.

It basically matters how much you quest and for how long. If you quest for 6 hours a day, you have a good chance of getting there quickly. If you quest a hour or two a week (like me) then you might be behind some levels. Beware: Zafaria takes forever.
Good luck
~ Allison Dragongem
Zafaria took me half a day.

---
It depends on how long you can play per day and how bored you get..

It took me 30 days to get from 1-100 on my ice wizard, but that was from pure questing non stop.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Hello Sierra Pearl!
I am a level 62 death wizard, and got my membership about a week ago, when i was still in Krokotopia. I play for roughly 12 hours a day, and currently I am procrastinating Zafaria to train my pets and whatnot. But as Mythali126 said: It all depends on how long you play the game for each day.

Wolf Blood
Level 62, Legendary
One In A Million.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Sierra Pearl on Oct 19, 2015 wrote:
I'm a level 49 sorcerer and I recently defeated malastaire and unlocked celestia after I played for a little over a month. I know some people go at different rates because my friend who is playing at the exact same time as me is on still on Marleybone. I was wondering if some exalted wizards could tell me about how long it took them to finish Khysalis(I know that won't be the end of the game anymore soon because Polaris). I wanna know because I don't know if I should buy a six month membership because after I become exalted I'm gonna take a break for a couple months. Also since this is my first time doing this game and my friend is behind me, I don't really know at all what to expect so ya please comment how long it took you!

-Sierra Pearl
Like most everyone else has said, different people have different playing styles which can be a big influence on how quickly you progress in the game. Some people just want to blow through the main quest line as quickly as possible. Personally, I take on every quest and try to get every badge so I'm progressing veeeery slooowly. I started playing in December of 2013 and still don't have my first wizard to Khrysalis yet and now I have five other ones I switch between. I also have a tendency to get sidetracked with projects with specific goals in mind... like training and hatching to get a desired pet, or gardening to get reagents or TCs or fishing to make sure my list is complete. And then there's decorating and landscaping. Now that Polaris is coming I've decided to concentrate on getting my first wizard into and through Khrysalis but I know I won't be able to totally ignore the other five because I enjoy playing all of the different schools. Alas, so much to do and so little time.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
It depends on whether you have active partners or not, because I went from dragonspyre to end of Azteca in 1 month on my life with soloing CL-AV and questing with my brother through Azteca but my ice only got to sardonyx in 1 month because I didn't have a very active partner. But I would say, it takes 1 and a half months to max a wizard if you play as often as me and solo most of the game (Of course get help for hard dungeons and cheating bosses) but besides that street mobs and regular bosses are pretty easy to solo.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
According to Professor Greyrose and Dworgyn in the last KI Live the fastest time anyone got to exalted is 5 days(cumulative in game time 5X24hrs.)

The slowest 2532 days as of last week, so 6+ years and still counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZzRMHNzAM&feature=youtu.be
Time 41:40

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It takes about 5-6 weeks of gameplay. That can be spread over any amount of real time. In actual play time it's about 5-6 weeks though. I've done it in 7 weeks, you have to sleep and eat some. Playing 16-20 hours a day took me 7 weeks on multiple wizards doing it solo. You could do it in slightly less time with a team. The early worlds can be finished in 1-2 days each, later ones take a week or more.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I look at W101 the way I do a good movie. I don't want it to end because I enjoy playing it so much. W101 is a little different though because while a portion of the story might be resolved at the end of a world usually a new aspect of the story begins. This is both good and bad. Good for those of us who've already invested so much time into the game and advanced our characters enough that the new worlds don't seem as daunting. Bad for new players... especially the type of player that wants to hurry through the game. The more worlds we get the longer this process will take and it will eventually lead to people dropping out of the game long before they complete it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mr Talon on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
According to Professor Greyrose and Dworgyn in the last KI Live the fastest time anyone got to exalted is 5 days(cumulative in game time 5X24hrs.)

The slowest 2532 days as of last week, so 6+ years and still counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZzRMHNzAM&feature=youtu.be
Time 41:40
Getting to level 100 isn't the same thing as finishing the game. You can get to level 100 long before finishing the worlds.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
seethe42 on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
Getting to level 100 isn't the same thing as finishing the game. You can get to level 100 long before finishing the worlds.
No, it's certainly not the same thing. The original poster was asking for a time reference however and I thought it would be informative to know that it is possible to get to exalted within 120 hours of gameplay. If you're exalted you're in Khrysalis. If you're in Khrysalis you're essentially done, well at least for the next few weeks.

Explorer
Sep 15, 2015
Mr Talon on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
No, it's certainly not the same thing. The original poster was asking for a time reference however and I thought it would be informative to know that it is possible to get to exalted within 120 hours of gameplay. If you're exalted you're in Khrysalis. If you're in Khrysalis you're essentially done, well at least for the next few weeks.
I bet you could be exalted and still in Azteca or maybe even Avalon because i just found my old wizard101 account that I had as a kid(Im using a different account now) and found out that I was level 42 and only starting krokotopia!! I had just teleported to higher level people on higher level places and accepted quests from there and done high level dungeons with the help of people who should actually do them. So somebody could have reached max level with out getting to Khrysalis which means they don't get any xp from fighting morganthe which is kinda sad

-Sierra Pearl
Legendary sorcerer

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Sierra Pearl on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
I bet you could be exalted and still in Azteca or maybe even Avalon because i just found my old wizard101 account that I had as a kid(Im using a different account now) and found out that I was level 42 and only starting krokotopia!! I had just teleported to higher level people on higher level places and accepted quests from there and done high level dungeons with the help of people who should actually do them. So somebody could have reached max level with out getting to Khrysalis which means they don't get any xp from fighting morganthe which is kinda sad

-Sierra Pearl
Legendary sorcerer
Hey Sierra!

You know it's probably possible to teach exalted before hitting khrysalis. However you would probably need to do every single side quest you came across. As TuscanWizard pointed out, that takes a really long time. Any exalted out there that haven't reached khrysalis yet?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mr Talon on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
You can be exalted well before getting to Khrysalis. If you skip all side quests you will still be exalted in the beginning of Khrysalis.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
Took me 7 years.

Then again, the game wasn't exactly entirely out the whole time.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
On my first wizard, (life) it took me 6 months to complete the game. Including ALL side quests, crafting/fishing/pet training/house decorating, spending time with friends and helping them. Going a few weeks without a membership, and spending a little over a month farming Darkmoor. I got full Darkmoor gear before encountering Morganthe. When I do quest, I focus for a good period of time then I do something else. I was so over levelled, I was able to solo most parts alone (Beginning of game-Zafaria) I then met a storm questing buddy in Avalon, and we propelled through the worlds, often finishing one within a week or a bit less until halfway through Khrysalis when her membership expired. I learned that life and storm are the BEST combo. I was surprised to complete Celestia in 4 days on my own.

I used to play 3-4 hours on weekdays, probably more on weekends.
It's MUCH quicker if you only focus on questing with the exception of pet training/farming for gear and with a higher level wizard with you.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2014
depends on how long you play
i june-july i went from DS to KH because i had nothing going on those two months and played everyday and did some allnighters
but then again i started last year jan. on this account and last year i only played so often and yeah..