Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Utility Spells #1

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
I came up with a new spell type. They're known as traps. Traps act as charms that hang over enemies. Only when the enemy attacks you are these spells activated. Most deal a certain amount of damage based on the amount of pips you have. Also, a new type of stun, which I'm calling entrapped. Unlike stun, stun blocks have no effect on them, making them more useful. So I came up with 3 new utility spells for each school, as well as a school-unique aura for each school. Comment if you think spells should be adjusted or changed.

:
Gray Goo- 1 pip- Entrap target for two rounds
Spiky Cactus- Deal 150 damage per pip to target when attacked
Dance of Swords: +5% blade per pip to all
Bubble Shield (Aura)- 0 pips- -15% and counter 5% damage taken for four rounds

:
Lightning Rod- 2 pips- Next storm spell hits target. (Not sure if it would be a trap or charm or what, but basically, the next storm spell casted, even if an enemy casts it, would hit the target)
Battery Pack- 3 pips- 25% of next storm spell casted converted to (So if it did 100, you would be healed 25)
Strato-Strike- +4% accuracy per pip
Layer of Ozone- 0 pips- +20% Storm damage for four rounds

:
Extinguish- 2 pips- -70% to next three fire spells (like inverted fuel)
Raging Inferno- 2 pips- Add two extra DoTs
Asphyxiate- 4 pips- Double damage of all remaining DoTs
Overheat- 0 pips- +20% Fire damage for four rounds

:
Fortify- 2 pips- +10% to all wards (for whole team)
Sheer Cold- 3 pips- -50% to next 2 ticks of DoTs to all
Citadel Shield- 1 pip- -75% block to damage and steal
Ice Wall- 0 pips- Counter 50% damage taken for four rounds

:
Siphon- 0 pips- +20% to next steal spell
Creepy Fog- 1 pip- -45% accuracy to all
Witch's Brew- 3 pips- (A little confusing) Heal 500, 1000, or 1500 and add a +20% universal blade and a -100% infection
Heart Swap- 6 pips- Switch health with random enemy for 2 rounds (need help with this one)

:

Book of Guidance- 0 pips- Heal 50 Mana
Abounding Grace- 1 pips- +10% Healing per pip to all
Snake Trap- 75+125 per pip over three rounds to target after being attacked
Circle of Protection- 0 pips- -75% to steals for four rounds

:
Magician's Blade- 0 pip- Turn one negative blade into a +10% blade
Trick Room- 2 pips- Swap all negative charms with enemies' positive charms
Masquerade- 2 pips- 3 phony blades to all (Basically to protect from stealing, or destroying charms.)
Invisibility- 3 pips- Hide from enemies for four rounds (not sure who this would work when soloing)

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
Ok. I realize trap is the wrong word for the new spells because, obviously, we already have traps. So I won't name them yet but they are completely unrelated to traps. They hang over enemies like charms, and once they attack you, it activates their effects.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Traps are an existing type of wards. Your spells would be negative charms or something completely new.

Note: These are my opinions and are only related to PvE as I don't care about wizzy PvP.

Gray Goo: Why is a new mechanic needed?
Spiky Cactus: So when the target attacks? Is the damage affected by shields and traps? It's too high by the way, and why would we use a charm that probably isn't affected by our blades?
Dance of Swords: A Storm of Swords + A Dance with Dragons? Or am I overthinking things?
Bubble Shield: -15% what? Would the countered damage be affected by traps on the target? Would the 5% be calculated before or after damage shields and resistance?

Lightning Rod: A really interesting concept. How would this affect AoE spells? Oh, I can imagine how this could be used against Robot Shane von Shane.
Battery Pack: 25% is a bit much, considering it's not incredibly difficult to do 20k damage, which would heal you to full health. Otherwise it's not a bad idea.
Strato Strike: Very situational, as Darkmoor allows everyone to have over 100% accuracy.
Layer of Ozone: No problems with this one that I can find.

Extinguish: Would it be cast on an enemy or a wizard?
Raging Inferno: Do you mean that it'd add two extra ticks with the same damage to an existing DoT? 2 pips is a bit low for something of this much power, but otherwise I'd really like to have this spell. Wait, how would this work with Burning Rampage?

Asphyxiate: The pip cost, again, would have to be raised.
Overheat: No problems

Fortify: Change the name. There's a spell named Fortify.
Sheer Cold: No problems with this one. (why isn't it an OHKO like in Pokémon?)
Citadel Shield: No problems
Ice Wall: 50% could be a bit high, but what do I know, it could be perfect

Siphon: Why not use a normal blade instead?
Creepy Frog: np
Witch's Brew: It could be used to troll teammates with the -100% healing if it's not for self only.
Heart Swap: Useful for a coordinated team, not so much for soloing.

No room left

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Continued from my other post

Book of Guidance: np
Abounding Grace: So do you want it to be X rank for 10% per pip or 1 pip for 10%?
Snake Trap: So after the target's been attacked, right? Also, your wording makes it seem like only the 125 over 3 rounds scales with the amount of pips you have, is this the case? I just want to make things clear.
Circle of Protection: Really situational.

Magician's Blade: np
Trick Room: It would have to be with just one enemy, because if it affected all enemies, not only could you get a lot of blades, there would also be the problem of distributing your negative charms among the enemies.
Masquerade: So three blades that do nothing? Pretty situational, but I could see myself using it against Storm bosses.
Invisibility: So enemies can't target you for four rounds? That would save lives, but it would also be pretty overpowered, as you will get more than three pips during the four rounds it's active, so you could keep casting it to keep yourself invisible. Also, how would it work against AoE spells?

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
yea right after I posted this... I was like, traps are already a thing. I was trying to just make a unique concept. They're kinda like revenge charms. When the enemy hurts you they activate. And I knew when making these some of the ideas might be kind of far-fetched. I'm debating if they should be universal damage so they don't use your traps, but they would use universal traps. This would make the high damage more understandable.Also, with pip cost, sometimes I wasn't sure if it would be too much or too little depending on the spell. Remember these are based on the fact that it would be 110+ wizards using them.

With Gray Goo the point was since so many bosses can block stuns, this one isn't actually a stun, so they can't guard it, making it more useful.

Dance of Swords is simply a pip-based Bladestorm, and both can be used.

Bubble shield just counters 5% of the final damage dealt, and is not effected by shields and traps

Lightning Rod with AoE, this could be op, but it all just hits the one target. Also, if multiple enemies have this, not sure how it would effect this. I assume any target with this on them gets hit.

Extinguish is on a wizard

Burning Rampage isn't DoT? so not effected, and pip cost can be changed. Maybe 4-6?

Asphyxiate: Maybe 6-8 pips? Or make it do another 50%, not 100%

Fortify: Thick Skin? Thicken? Add Defense? I don't know...

Wall of Ice in pvp would be more of message like "hit me with 30000 damage and you take it too" so could give you time to heal, shield, blade up, etc.

Siphon is just another tool to work with since it's different it would stack with others. And it would be a trap.

Witch's Brew: yea -100% to self, but other effects could go on anyone. Could make it heal more since it basically prevents you from a whole round of healing.

Heart Swap swaps an enemies health, but some bosses will have 30000+ health and you leave them with 4000+... and you could screw up people in pvp when you have 50 health and take theirs.. needs work..

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
continued to your suggestions,

Yes, Abounding Grace is like a pip-based Brilliant Light to whole team

Snake Trap (again Trap is hard to use since it immediately makes people think of the negative wards) but it hangs over like a charm and when the enemy attacks the CASTER (not when the caster attacks the enemy) it is activated. The pip-based would only effect the damage over time.

Yeah, Circle of Protection would only be useful against steals, but I didn't know what else a Circle of Protection would be for. i was trying to avoid shielding. Any suggestions?

Trick Room: You could either select an enemy (say you have a weakness and they have a blade you want) and you swap, or both sides just completely swap all negatives and positives. In this case, you would just trade with whatever enemy you are lined up with.

Yea, Masquerade was my idea for dealing with pesky wizards/bosses who always try to steal/destroy charms because these would always get taken first, no matter what. However, i don't think it would help when they use a spell that destroys all of them

Invisibility: Maybe op, especially in pvp. Make it 5-6 pips, and you cannot attack enemy, but you can blade, heal, place traps, etc. Maybe it lasts for four rounds, but once you attack, the aura is destroyed. AoEs wouldn't hit you, but again, if you attack, it goes away. (I'm sure this one would take so much heat form pvp players)