Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

love/hate, update...

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
anyone who pays any attention to my posts probably already knew i was going to put this here. but i digress.

the new one-shot gauntlets:

i bought the baddle of the bands one for my guinea pig/exalted balance wizard, and i thought it was spiffy. nothing stupidly-difficult or too over-the-top, just a nice, relaxing adventure and some neat drops. it's a shame they're one-use, because i'd love to run them multiple times.

jewel socketing:

haven't done much with it yet, though i did get a few neat jewels from the gauntlet. it seems awesome in theory, and it thrilled me to see that castle dread-more gear can't be modified/become stupidly overpowered or game-breaking~ my only concern is that it has the potential to become op at the low-levels, but it looks like there are level limits in place (based on the drops i got) to prevent that, which is good.

lava fishing:

this could have been awesome. i was stoked for it at first. but, after trying it for myself, i have to say that this is yet another update that was awesome in theory, but kind of a mess in practice.

two major gripes here:

1) the difficulty is horrendous. and i'm not even talking about the added annoyance of sentinels~ i'm talking about the fact that i can't seem to catch a thing; i did just fine in the previous worlds, so my skill is not the issue. but my past 10+ consecutive attempts have all been futile and, much like castle dread-more, i'm tired of it already.

tbh, it's even more of a time/cash dump than it was to begin with. for those unwilling or unable to spend tons of money on elixirs or specialty bundle gear (which i can't get, even if i wanted to, because i live outside of the us), it's a nightmare come to life. like, i understand the need for a 'challenge', but this is ridiculous.

2) the broken camera angles

wonky camera movements + movement of the lava flow = too much motion in the ocean (not to mention serious motion sickness for this wizard).

(dear ki: if you're going to put fish somewhere, please please please make it a place that we can access comfortably; also, oi with the wonky camera movements already. my stomach thanks you in advance.)

-von

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Dr Von on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
anyone who pays any attention to my posts probably already knew i was going to put this here. but i digress.

i bought the baddle of the bands one for my guinea pig/exalted balance wizard, and i thought it was spiffy. nothing stupidly-difficult or too over-the-top, just a nice, relaxing adventure and some neat drops. it's a shame they're one-use, because i'd love to run them multiple times.

jewel socketing:

haven't done much with it yet, though i did get a few neat jewels from the gauntlet. it seems awesome in theory, and it thrilled me to see that castle dread-more gear can't be modified/become stupidly overpowered or game-breaking~ my only concern is that it has the potential to become op at the low-levels, but it looks like there are level limits in place (based on the drops i got) to prevent that, which is good.

lava fishing:

this could have been awesome. i was stoked for it at first. but, after trying it for myself, i have to say that this is yet another update that was awesome in theory, but kind of a mess in practice.

two major gripes here:

1) the difficulty is horrendous. and i'm not even talking about the added annoyance of sentinels~ i'm talking about the fact that i can't seem to catch a thing; i did just fine in the previous worlds, so my skill is not the issue. but my past 10+ consecutive attempts have all been futile and, much like castle dread-more, i'm tired of it already.

tbh, it's even more of a time/cash dump than it was to begin with. for those unwilling or unable to spend tons of money on elixirs or specialty bundle gear (which i can't get, even if i wanted to, because i live outside of the us), it's a nightmare come to life. like, i understand the need for a 'challenge', but this is ridiculous.

wonky camera movements + movement of the lava flow = too much motion in the ocean (not to mention serious motion sickness for this wizard).

(dear ki: if you're going to put fish somewhere, please please please make it a place that we can access comfortably; also, oi with the wonky camera movements already. my stomach thanks you in advance.)

-von
In regards to your gripes on lava fishing...

Have you bought all the lava fishing spells available from the vendors in the Atheneum AND The Labyrinth? Have you been using the higher level lures to catch the lava fish? Is your computer relatively fast?

If you answered "No" to any of these, then the difficulties you're having lie with you or your equipment. If you answered "Yes" to all of them, then the only advice I can give is, "...with Persistence, Victory is assured".

As for your motion sickness from the camera angles -- Maybe you should consider taking some Dramamine before your next attempt at lava fishing.

Wolf Windrider
Exalted
Keepin' it imaginary

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Errol Everhart on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
In regards to your gripes on lava fishing...

Have you bought all the lava fishing spells available from the vendors in the Atheneum AND The Labyrinth? Have you been using the higher level lures to catch the lava fish? Is your computer relatively fast?

If you answered "No" to any of these, then the difficulties you're having lie with you or your equipment. If you answered "Yes" to all of them, then the only advice I can give is, "...with Persistence, Victory is assured".

As for your motion sickness from the camera angles -- Maybe you should consider taking some Dramamine before your next attempt at lava fishing.

Wolf Windrider
Exalted
Keepin' it imaginary
no no no no no no no! Taking a medicine should NEVER be a requirement for playing a game because of an update. I'm sorry, i have to whole heartily disagree with this sentiment. I also agree with the crazy camera angles. This game is rife with unnecessary camera angle changes, but this one brings to light a specific, documented, medical problem (not just Von's, but one that many people suffer from; dizziness/vertigo).

Personally, i feel a simple fix to this would be to ALWAYS allow us to enter the water to catch the fish, and the problem would be solved

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

jewel socketing:

lava fishing:

two major gripes here:

-von
Your comments on Lava Fishing made me chuckle a bit. Not because I disagree with them mind you, but because of memories that came flooding back of real-life fishing experiences in my youth. In particular, "make it a place we can access comfortably" made me laugh out loud. At the risk of sounding a bit like Father Time... back when I was a kid in Florida (and yes, I had to walk to and from fishing... up-hill both ways lol) I fished from some seriously precarious positions and areas... hanging off of bridge catwalks, traipsing all over razor-sharp rock jetties, wading through moccasin and alligator infested backwaters and basically doing things that, today, would probably get me committed. All for the love of the catch. Thankfully, W101 fishing isn't quite that hazardous but the lava fishing does leave a lot to be desired in terms of sight-lines, casting distances and negotiating bad guys to get where you want to go. I do appreciate that they've brightened the lures somewhat to make them more visible against the lava background. As for the difficulties, I really can't make a determination on that yet. I've experienced a high rate of failures but for now I'm attributing it to a lack of knowledge of the appropriate schools. For example, the Yellow Grunion has eluded me so far but in all honesty I haven't devoted a lot of time trying for it. Once I finally go in with a full complement of energy, and still fail, maybe then I'll come back and agree wholeheartedly with your complaints.

P.S.- yes, I know there are no hills in Florida... it was just a figure of speech.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011

jewel socketing:

lava fishing:

two major gripes here:

-von
Eh what i love and hate about the update is

1 I love the new house chat makes life so much easier

2 I love the new team up thing i hated having to just stand there before and i love that other people can see me and help out i gotten match up with players 80% faster

3 I loved at the same time think it was bad idea the jewels because truthfully people already were able to get 100 resistance and like 80 to all other classes with this new jewels thing wont people be able to basically get 100 resistance to everything and also i like to add what going happen to the ice school i mean there thing is resistance so if everybody has 100 resistance then doesn't that make ice school basically not important unless you need a tower block witch anything can take off and your health well that's great but what good is it if you have to blade stack for spells so the one great thing about ice seems to been taken away

4 I love the new fish in dragon spy

5 i like the big fix and i don't care about the spell things

so i have to say the only update i have to kinda feel like it was bad idea is the jewels it just dose not seem plain out and seems more like just trying to get money also didn't they say they never do something like that what happen?

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
The lava fishing seems to have some challenges that weren't present in the test realm. If you think the camera angles are bad now, you should have seen them when you couldn't see where your lure was landing. These new angles may seem crazy, but trust me, at least now you can see the fish before they get too far away for you to catch.

However the duration of some of the utility spells seemed to take a nose dive once it went live. Charm Fish and other spells are taking too long and fish are swimming away before you can start casting lures.

If some of those spell duration issues get taken care of, and you complete the first few quests to get the Banish Sentinel spell in addition to the Winnow spells in the Labyrinth and Rank 3 lures in the Atheneum, believe me, Dragonspyre fishing won't be as bad as it feels right now. In the test realm I didn't like it at first neither, but it grew on me just like fishing everywhere else did the more I did it.

And there are only 25 new fish. If it was too easy, we'd all get done too quickly. I was notorious for wanting fish to come easy at one time too, but now I'm starting to value not being able to do it all in one day only to wind up bored and restless waiting for further content updates.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014

jewel socketing:

lava fishing:

two major gripes here:

-von
ok with jewel socket (but ok being op) not for resist/damage (because flat resist & flat damage) so, not real percent but boost others resist well) only think jewel socketing only overpower are real percent (mostly likely armor pierce/critical/heath/power pips)

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I like the new jewel socketing machanic, the need for the socket wrenches is fairly irritating expecially at higher levels where you have to do a lot of fighting to find them. Also gems drop quite a lot so even if you dont craft you wont have to much trouble finding them. Like I had suspected opals seem popular for their universal traits, but I have seen people get more school specific when it comes to damage and piercing.

I played both of the new housing gauntlets and aside from the nauseating amount of plant puns in tangle wood it was pretty alright.

I love the new badge sorter (because I am an achievement hunter)

I like that our various keys can unlock hidden bosses. Aphrodite has some pretty good gear. I found a ring that makes my critical gear even more crazy than before plus it has an energy stat. I'm glad you dont have to fight anyone in the Graveyard to reach Aphrodite (Its the gate to your left when you first enter). Thank you KI for that mercy. Unfortunately getting the spells to drop is like trying to get anything out of the lore master. (it will probably require either constant play or end up taking several weeks)

Lava fishing makes you use all those utility spells that you had been ignoring otherwise you must run around and try to fish from weird places. Also they kind of fixed the issue of seeing a fishes school (fire school still blends with the back round though)

Something I noticed is that they changed the riding animation of the dragon fly so it doesn't constantly lean to the right when you ride it. That had always kind of annoyed me and I'm glad they fixed it.

The new armadillo pets kind of weird me out. It's something about that stain glass skin I find kind off putting.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009

jewel socketing:

lava fishing:

two major gripes here:

-von
If you dont mind having a spell spam fight you can find some energy gear from Aphrodite. the wands have 10energy, the rings have 8 energy, and the athames have 6 energy. Thats a nice 24 energy upgrade. I forget if it has sockets but if could get even higher if you found a tear gem with some energy/fishing luck on it so that should also help.(I havent found an energy gem yet so I'm going off of other peoples accounts of them)

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Yes, love/hate with the major features. Borrowing your formatting.

Team-Up + Find-a-Team:
I have become completely enthralled with the Find-a-Team function. Next to house decorating and gardening, it's all I do. It brings all corners of the spiral to my fingertips. I can get from here to there instantly and help people who need it, which are two of my favorite things. However, it has bugs. Sometimes you get unfair 10-min penalties. Sometimes you'll have trashy teammates who who beat bosses without you, or who repeatedly activate on instruction pedestals so they can make people freeze. Plus, I think KI missed the mark in letting you see what levels, dungeon goals, and team roles for people in your queue, but overall I am satisfied (like 7.5 out of 10) with the functionality of this feature.

Jewels:
Developers did superb and attentive work in dreaming this up, making sure jewels would integrate seamlessly into the items. The design team deserves praise for that.

Then things went very sour in marketing and execution. My gripe is that the test realm is being misused as a "test drive" rather than a platform for feedback. As a result, poorly conceived mechanics get into the game that players hate and then complain about for months. For example, the Rockhammer pack doesn't guarantee jewels at your level tier, which makes it a waste of crowns. And jewel crafting? Look, no one likes "random range" jewel crafting, we want a jewel for our level, not some other level.

See poll at http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?439002-When-you-craft-a-jewel-what-level-should-the-jewel-be-for.

Lava fishing:
Wait, did fishing just get more difficult? I swear I was better at it than this. I got frustrated and quit, went back to the Find-a-Team.

New sound effects:
I love the new SFX for Fire Cat, Locust Swarm, etc.