Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet system overhaul

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 19, 2011
Like many know getting someone that has a pet with good talents to hatch can be a pain. Anyone else tired of this?
I think they should sell pets for 30 thousand crowns that allow you to pick the talents. Of course you would still need to train it to unlock them.
Most of us like a variety of different pets so its not as if most people would settle for just one pet.
This method would allow those of us, who are many. To get pets we like, without relying on others. And let's be honest. A lot people don't even like pet training. Ask around, its not a popular activity.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
No, pet talents should never be for sale.

It would be cool if there was an additional way to arrange hatches. Like a meetup board where you could post the pet you have and what you want, a menu with talents or body type so players could find people to hatch with besides just standing in the hatchery. 101 Central has a good pet forum, but it would be better if everyone could do it in game.

For now your best bet is to use the fan sites. Lots of helpful people on there.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
swishdawg101 on Feb 5, 2015 wrote:
Like many know getting someone that has a pet with good talents to hatch can be a pain. Anyone else tired of this?
I think they should sell pets for 30 thousand crowns that allow you to pick the talents. Of course you would still need to train it to unlock them.
Most of us like a variety of different pets so its not as if most people would settle for just one pet.
This method would allow those of us, who are many. To get pets we like, without relying on others. And let's be honest. A lot people don't even like pet training. Ask around, its not a popular activity.
If KI does something like this it would basically make pets obsolete. I admit that pet training can be time consuming and sometimes disappointing but it's a necessary evil if you want the "perfect" pet. If we could all go out and buy the perfect pet then why bother... the pets will eventually cancel each other out. And for those who don't use Crowns, for whatever reason, this would be a totally unfair disadvantage.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I personally don't care that someone gets upset over this idea. In the real world, I can hire a trainer to teach my pet certain skills, or find a breeder who can bring me the look and traits of any pet I desire. Some will use them, while others won't.

As long as players can have, access and use pets; they'll never become obsolete. Some players will choose to use them; while others won't. And some players will choose certain pets over other ones.

Some players argue spending crowns or gold in the process to obtain pets and specific talents is wrong.
But, everyone already uses crowns and gold to buy and train pets.

Crowns can be used to buy pets or mega snacks in the Crown shop; while gold is used to hatch pets.

On average, it takes a player seven hatches to obtain the pets they want; with all the desired talents. When you break out the actual cost seven hatches run; a player can easily have spent hundreds of thousands of gold pieces or more in this process.

Some folks prefer to train their pets faster, so they buy and use mega snacks. Mega snacks can be purchased with crowns through the Crown Shop.

Mega snacks can also be found as drops in different dungeons, or by fighting certain bosses, so its easy enough for players to farm the Mirror Lake in Zafaria, or any of the newest dungeons for mega snacks.

So now that's its been established players are already using crowns and gold to buy and train their pets, it becomes possible to speed this entire process up; by allowing players to pay the entire amount or cost upfront.

I welcome a more efficient pet system because over the years, I've gotten many pets to mega level, and spent many hours, tens of thousands of crowns and hundreds of thousands of gold pieces or more in this process. It took over three years of hatching pets to finally obtain the May Cast Fairy Talent on one pet; and now most of my pets have this talent. I've also spent years adding and building resistance, damage, and critical ratings onto my pets.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
"I think they should sell pets for 30 thousand crowns..."

No.

1) Pay for immediate final success? Why play the game? Whats the point? How about Level 80 wizards for 75 crowns? Level 100 Wizards for 100 crowns? Crowns for PvP awards and badge titles?

2) If you could pick your talents, why would anybody hatch? You would simply select your desired pet, train once and you are done. This would destroy the entire pet system of hatching and training.

3) If the pet system suddenly became that easy too many players would be shocked and exasperated at all their previous efforts, quiting the game. People have put giant hours and resources into hatching their desired pets, including crown purchases (seeds, elixers, etc.).

When you see a wizard with an awsome pet remember it is the product of significant time, effort, and dedication. Similar to any other significant game achievements.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
"So now that's its been established players are already using crowns and gold to buy and train their pets, it becomes possible to speed this entire process up; by allowing players to pay the entire amount or cost upfront. "

Absolutely wrong. Speeding up the process destroys the element of "game". Might as well play a Barbie dress-up game for cash.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
NO way this will ever pass

1 because it upset players who had to work hard to do there training to get the pets

2 because if you can pick and chose you power you can make you pet a all crazy healing pet causing pvp to become harder and then they will have to cut back healing pet talents in pvp again

3 rank pet race's will become unfair because players will make there pet have hurry mega hurry ect that gives them a boost in race's and makes it way to hard to get there

it just affect to much in the game also would upset many player including myself because i and many other did not work hours on pet spending crowns to get are mana back so we can level them and farm dungeons repeated times so we can get them to level just to have someone put all of it into the trash and hand us a new thing where we would just buy!

This will never happen and will never pass

level100
level 80
level21

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
RottenHeart on Feb 8, 2015 wrote:
"So now that's its been established players are already using crowns and gold to buy and train their pets, it becomes possible to speed this entire process up; by allowing players to pay the entire amount or cost upfront. "

Absolutely wrong. Speeding up the process destroys the element of "game". Might as well play a Barbie dress-up game for cash.
This suggestion might work in another game or website; but I'm just not sure what message this sends our youngest wizards and their families and friends, who simply want to play a fun, family friendly game together.

It also doesn't change the fact that players want a more efficient, manageable pet training system.

But isn't it refreshing after all these years to see some folks are still finding new ways to play with their Barbie Doll Collection.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Tylerwildpants said:

"This suggestion might work in another game or website; but I'm just not sure what message this sends our youngest wizards and their families and friends, who simply want to play a fun, family friendly game together. "

There are lots of themed "dress-up" games on the internet where you can choose clothes & pets. Most are aimed at children. I am suggesting if thats what you want, go play that. You can select whatever look you want from various menus... yay!... instant satisfaction.

Or you can play a game like W101 and work for your accomplishments. Many thousands of players have successfully hatched/trained pets. You are suggesting that because its "too hard" or "too much work" or "not as much fun" for some players a short-cut should be provided by using a credit card.

What message is that sending the youngsters????

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
The OP's frustration is shared by players on both sides of the fence. Some love how long it takes to hatch and train pets who don't want any change to the process, while others want a more efficient process; with faster results.

For those who love the time, commitment, and money spent in the process; nothing changes for them.

For myself, I've already spent years, time and money getting many pets to mega level that have all the may cast talents, and other desires talents. I readily hatch with all players searching for these talents as a way of giving back, because I've always been given help since the game started.

Does this reduce the time and money other players will spend in this pursuit; maybe. But Wizard 101 hasn't crashed or come to a screeching halt because of it.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
I wouldn't go that far but I would say that they need a option to reroll talents even if it is a random talent that is rolled out that way you have some sort of chance to remove the talent you want but also one that you may want to keep.This would make it fair and not take away from the game. This should also be a part of member benefits.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
swishdawg101 on Feb 5, 2015 wrote:
Personally, I've hatched my double defense, tripple heal pets well over 50 times, possibly closer to 100.
I've posted on the board, and simply met with people who've asked and hatched with them.
It's not that hard, if you post here or on central looking for a hatch.
There's plenty of people who've spent countless hours, crowns, gold...
Who are still more than glad to help out.