Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Buy Back Training Points

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 02, 2009
As part of the game, we get training points to let us learn spells outside of our school. Sometimes we don't think these purchases through. That's why I have spells sitting in my spellbook that I never use (cough cough cloak cough cough) or ones I unintentionally got on my ice (cough cough spirit trap cough cough), and I regret buying them. But when I went to Mr. Lincoln to see how much it would cost to buy them back, I nearly fell out of my chair.
As an Exalted Ice with no points left, it would cost 14050. That's ridiculous. That's more than $25. I think that it's ridiculous to be asked to spend that much money because I made a mistake. I understand that KingsIsle is a franchise, which requires that they gain profit to pay their employees and keep the servers running.
I already give the game $60 a year on a membership, and probably $40 on crowns for packs and stitching. I don't want to spend more cash on training points. I am not complaining about the money I give to KI for the membership and other crowns purchases. But I feel like the training point bonus is out of control.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
rtdv on Oct 4, 2014 wrote:
As part of the game, we get training points to let us learn spells outside of our school. Sometimes we don't think these purchases through. That's why I have spells sitting in my spellbook that I never use (cough cough cloak cough cough) or ones I unintentionally got on my ice (cough cough spirit trap cough cough), and I regret buying them. But when I went to Mr. Lincoln to see how much it would cost to buy them back, I nearly fell out of my chair.
As an Exalted Ice with no points left, it would cost 14050. That's ridiculous. That's more than $25. I think that it's ridiculous to be asked to spend that much money because I made a mistake. I understand that KingsIsle is a franchise, which requires that they gain profit to pay their employees and keep the servers running.
I already give the game $60 a year on a membership, and probably $40 on crowns for packs and stitching. I don't want to spend more cash on training points. I am not complaining about the money I give to KI for the membership and other crowns purchases. But I feel like the training point bonus is out of control.
On my first wizard I took these out of school spells that would be of no benefit to me later on - except for Death to Feint all others would just sit in my book. I learned this in Mooshu when my gear would start to get power pip percentages.

When I started my second wizard I didn't take any out of school spells that didn't lend benefit to my school given ones and realized Ambrose did warn me to spend my training points wisely.

I didn't even think of buying back my points for my mistake back then, I forged on and was able to make up and did all the training point quests in the game and am now setting on a cushion of 5 extra ones.

Mary

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
This has been posted and addressed by KI tons of times. it will not change because you are paying for a convenience they offer.

the higher the level you are when you do this, the higher the cost, which is entirely fair.

At a high level, you really don't need a secondary school anyway. (And if you buy crowns when on sale, as you should, it's $14.)

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I agree that the price is ridiculous. I'm lucky that I didn't spend my training points all wonky and that most of the spells I got help me in battle. But a lot of people made mistakes.
Get this: When you're a noob, you don't know what you're doing, and you buy worthless spells like calm and pacify(the ones with birds on them) because they look cool and have cool names. Then when you finally figure out that's it's not actually an attack spell and it's useless in battle, the only thing you can do is pay tons of money to undo what you did back when you didn't know how to play the game.
I know that at one point buying the points back is free, but in the time it's free(which I'm pretty sure is initiate), most wizards that level still don't know how to play the game, and so they might not buy back their points for free.
So I do agree that it's a huge pain to have to spend money just because you were just learning how to play the game back then and didn't know anything.

Myrna Dragoncloud, Legendary