Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Same People

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jul 13, 2013
So my friend and I were doing PVP, and we were doing pretty good. But then we faced these two guys and lost.
So we were like, "Hey, it's okay, let's try again!"
And then we went to do PVP again with a different strategy, with more defense, and guess what? We were up against the same people.
By the way, these were fire and storm wizards that were a lower level than my friend and a little bit higher than me.
So we lost. And we played again. And guess who we got matched against?
So my friend spammed tower shield and earthquake and I spammed elemental shield and balance blade.
And we lost, again.
This happened another time, before finally, we were matched against different people. I think my friend might have had a talk with those two boys but I don't know because I teleported away quickly with embarrassment.
I think that there should be a limit to how many times you can go against the exact same opponent. You would have to wait longer for a match, but why do PVP if you're going to die anyway, right?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Dragoncloud888 on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
So my friend and I were doing PVP, and we were doing pretty good. But then we faced these two guys and lost.
So we were like, "Hey, it's okay, let's try again!"
And then we went to do PVP again with a different strategy, with more defense, and guess what? We were up against the same people.
By the way, these were fire and storm wizards that were a lower level than my friend and a little bit higher than me.
So we lost. And we played again. And guess who we got matched against?
So my friend spammed tower shield and earthquake and I spammed elemental shield and balance blade.
And we lost, again.
This happened another time, before finally, we were matched against different people. I think my friend might have had a talk with those two boys but I don't know because I teleported away quickly with embarrassment.
I think that there should be a limit to how many times you can go against the exact same opponent. You would have to wait longer for a match, but why do PVP if you're going to die anyway, right?
If you fight the same opponent repeatedly and lose, eventually your rank should drop enough (and theirs should raise enough) that the game's "match engine" will find you someone new.

I think the game could stand to improve. In the past, I have suggested that the matching algorithm be altered so that the game records your losses along with the attributes of the opponents who beat you previously (did they have huge resist, huge critical, healing pets, etc.), and then automatically scale your matches down to find an opponent who would be a better match. So, just like with the current system, you get easier matches the more you lose; however, unlike the current system, it does this by recording attributes of the opponents rather than just their rank. This revision would be useful in cases like yours, because you would not be subjected to repeat losses to the same opponents over and over.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
Sounds like my complaint with the tourney system. Why do I have to fight the same person twice in a tourney? But yes I see where you are coming from. I would suggest that you 1v1. 2v2 usually has a set of the same people and you will fight them over and over. Or try waiting until those 2 are in a match then join up.