Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Spell Mechanic Idea

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Wizard 101 has utilized a large number of different effects. So many, that it might be difficult to come up with new ones. Therefore, I'd like to present the effects of priority and initiative for your consideration.

In Wizard 101, the team that starts first has a great advantage. They are aware of the condition of the opponent at all times, and they more often than not are the first to inflict damage. It is balanced because nobody knows who will go first, but maybe that advantage has become worth fighting for. Why not include spells which change which side gets to cast their spells first, as well as sun spells which allow spells to be cast before other spells? I believe that adding these effects will add a whole new element to battle, making matches less predictable, especially in PVP.
Thank you for your consideration, and players, if you like this idea or have spell ideas that use this mechanic, please post them below.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
let me tell you why that wont work. there are going to be pvps with overpowered wizards who will use this tactic over and over. there is just no way to approach this. sorry

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I disagree with NightCaster, there are a lot of different ways this can be done without it being exploitable. With careful implementation, this would really add to the fun of the game instead of lopping a bunch of advantages on the 1st turn player.

I started a thread about this multiple times, here's the most recent: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/spell-to-change-who-goes-first-in-duels-8ad6a415407c1977014088784f986826

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
The NightCaster on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
let me tell you why that wont work. there are going to be pvps with overpowered wizards who will use this tactic over and over. there is just no way to approach this. sorry
Well, so what if they use the spell over and over? They're just wasting their rounds. :P And obviously they eventually have to run out of the card in a battle if both keep clicking that card. It's just determining who goes first on the round, and thus should only effect the rounds after the spell is cast, not the round when the spell is cast. I like the idea. I think the spells would need to be astral or shadow, or some entirely new school, because if it was just say balance school it would be unfair because other schools would have the spell. Anyway, happy spell casting, bye.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth
Logic is my weapon and my curse

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
The NightCaster on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time I don't think you are thinking through it entirely. Yes these effects are powerful, but there are trade-offs and limitations which can allow these to become fair.

Starting with the priority spells.

1. If the priority spell were a sun school card, then that would mean the following set of statements are also true: it could not be enchanted with any other sun spell, it wouldn't work on treasure cards, and you'd have to hold onto it as a dead card in your hand until the spell you want to enchant shows.

2. If your opponent also uses a priority spell, the order would resolve like normal.

3. If you play first, the effect might be totally useless to you. Think about it, if you play first, and your opponent never does anything to affect initiative or priority, the effect does near nothing. The only use for it would be to cast before your teammates.

Initiative Spells

1. Changing which side starts first could cost pips, so it would delay you from casting the spells you intend.

2. The effects won't take place instantly. You still have to cast this spell like normal. Not only are you using up a turn, but your opponents will also be taking their turn before this spell does anything.

3. Both sides have the option to include this in their deck. If you don't like people gaining initiative, you can steal it right back from them.

4. To prevent stealing the initiative without notice, initiative switching cards might not be allowed to be enchanted with priority granting spells.

Final Word

I understand that an idea like this is powerful and hard to approach, but this isn't something entirely new. Pets and bosses have had priority moves this whole time. They have cast things while it wasn't their turn, and the consensus appears to be that this is fair considering that pets and bosses continue to do such. I understand that this is a step greater than the actions of NPCs, but that is also why I feel it is so worthwhile. Think about the new strategies that could erupt from these mechanics. Wizards would be gaining control of the flow of battle that we've just gone along with for so long. I think it is worth considering, and I do believe there are ways to approach this.

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
5stepstoofar on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time I don't think you are thinking through it entirely. Yes these effects are powerful, but there are trade-offs and limitations which can allow these to become fair.

Starting with the priority spells.

1. If the priority spell were a sun school card, then that would mean the following set of statements are also true: it could not be enchanted with any other sun spell, it wouldn't work on treasure cards, and you'd have to hold onto it as a dead card in your hand until the spell you want to enchant shows.

2. If your opponent also uses a priority spell, the order would resolve like normal.

3. If you play first, the effect might be totally useless to you. Think about it, if you play first, and your opponent never does anything to affect initiative or priority, the effect does near nothing. The only use for it would be to cast before your teammates.

Initiative Spells

1. Changing which side starts first could cost pips, so it would delay you from casting the spells you intend.

2. The effects won't take place instantly. You still have to cast this spell like normal. Not only are you using up a turn, but your opponents will also be taking their turn before this spell does anything.

3. Both sides have the option to include this in their deck. If you don't like people gaining initiative, you can steal it right back from them.

4. To prevent stealing the initiative without notice, initiative switching cards might not be allowed to be enchanted with priority granting spells.

Final Word

I understand that an idea like this is powerful and hard to approach, but this isn't something entirely new. Pets and bosses have had priority moves this whole time. They have cast things while it wasn't their turn, and the consensus appears to be that this is fair considering that pets and bosses continue to do such. I understand that this is a step greater than the actions of NPCs, but that is also why I feel it is so worthwhile. Think about the new strategies that could erupt from these mechanics. Wizards would be gaining control of the flow of battle that we've just gone along with for so long. I think it is worth considering, and I do believe there are ways to approach this.
well spoken, i must say.

i think this one is really something KI needs to sit down and think about, if they aren't already. there are a few ways to approach this problem which could be making things a little more turn based to reduce the guessing, or the spells mentioned in this thread, OR some idea that KI hasn't shared with us yet! still, this issue needs to be addressed and i hope to see what KI has in store for us.

Gabriel Ashcaller

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
That idea has something like a spark but bigger question is:
How much pips will cost?
Will it be like " bubble war "? ( casting bubbles until one can't anymore ).
That spell would give you instant turn will you get pips at end of turn?

Works like stun spell except there is no stun blocks lol.
I would change idea a bit make it one usage per battle it has more sense

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, level 95, Technomancer

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Myth Jedi on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
That idea has something like a spark but bigger question is:
How much pips will cost?
Will it be like " bubble war "? ( casting bubbles until one can't anymore ).
That spell would give you instant turn will you get pips at end of turn?

Works like stun spell except there is no stun blocks lol.
I would change idea a bit make it one usage per battle it has more sense

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, level 95, Technomancer
Funny enough, that is exactly how I envisioned it when I was thinking about if the idea would be balanced. As a first generation wizard, I'm all too aware of bubble war, and the massive difference the field spell makes on the gameplay. But I honestly don't have a good answer for you. I think the amount should be playtested, or put through some method better than just eyeballing it.

As for the rest of your comments, I'm afraid I don't fully understand them. I don't think initiative switching works like stun at all, nor will it grant you extra pips.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
5stepstoofar on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
Funny enough, that is exactly how I envisioned it when I was thinking about if the idea would be balanced. As a first generation wizard, I'm all too aware of bubble war, and the massive difference the field spell makes on the gameplay. But I honestly don't have a good answer for you. I think the amount should be playtested, or put through some method better than just eyeballing it.

As for the rest of your comments, I'm afraid I don't fully understand them. I don't think initiative switching works like stun at all, nor will it grant you extra pips.
My imagination just fly lol i pictured myself in that situation there is momentum where you have chance
to cast second and first but if its 4 players: player 1 attack player 2 use spell player 2 attack player 3 use spell player 3 use spell player 4 attack thats few rounds player 1 will gain some pips if he waits as well player 2 if you watch closely it will mean that more use of this spell makes one team stand still reast of battle if planed well spell will need to work for changing just current order of who goes first or second and not instant going first it has to have some kinda of " block " for this kinda of match tempest, frog etc. would be best sulution for ones which going first.