Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is Shadow Magic?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 18, 2011
I dont get what Shadow Magic is. I know it can affect shields (One of them can) and it has backlash (I dont know what that is either) and it gives all players a black circle around them (Sometimes) and it can randomly hit you! (I dont get it). So the question is, what is this magic Its not similar to or

Survivor
Aug 28, 2011
Shadow magic is forbidden by Headmaster Ambrose, but it allows you to transform into various Shadows. It is much like yet you keep your spells and they are not effected by whichever morph you choose. Backlash is an orb that surrounds you, and it will appear to look angrier as you get more backlash. You also get a shadow aura, which is cool looking. Shadow spells use up Shadow pips, which you use to morph.

The Shadows consist of Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph.

Shadow Shrike primarily deals damage, and should be used to do so. Shielding and healing will increase it's backlash, and blading, trapping, and damaging reduces backlash. When you turn into the Shrike, you gain an extra +10 damage bonus and a +50 pierce bonus But you take -25 incoming healing. Upon a hit, you and the wizards you are fighting with get a dragonspear. This means it's a +10 balance spear to all allies.

Shadow Sentinel is used for tanking, and is good for that purpose. Shielding will decrease it's backlash, and trapping, blading, damaging, and healing increase it's backlash. When you turn into the Sentinel, your allies gain +10 resist, and 10% of the damage they take harms you.

Shadow Seraph should excel in healing, and is excellent for that. You gain a +25 outgoing healing, and when you heal, you and your allies gain an absorb. To prevent sprite spamming, the absorb is smaller when you heal smaller. But, you also take +15 or +25 incoming damage (I forgot), so beware of that!

Backlash is an orb that damages you when your shadow morph time is up. It ignores all resistance and less backlash = less damage.

There is also a pretty funny glitch, that if you use shadow morph twice, you can turn into the version bosses use (yes, bosses use shadowmagic!) which is pretty funny.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
www.wizard101.com/game/shadow-magic
So far Shadow Magic is somewhat like moon magic and like Sophia Darkside in Khrysalis said Shadow Magic and Moon Magic have been intertwined together so you get to change your appearance but you keep your deck, stats, and you get extra boosts to different things. (i.e. Shadow Shrike boosts your pierce by 50%, your damage by 10% and decreases incoming healing by 25%). Hope this helps
Megan Frostflame

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
frosty frost on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
I dont get what Shadow Magic is. I know it can affect shields (One of them can) and it has backlash (I dont know what that is either) and it gives all players a black circle around them (Sometimes) and it can randomly hit you! (I dont get it). So the question is, what is this magic Its not similar to or
Upon casting Shadow Magic, your physical appearance changes like a spell, but you keep your school and deck. You also begin with 30 Backlash, which is the amount (in percent) of your current health (not your total health) that will be taken away after the spell wears off. Certain things can increase or decrease Backlash, it can be as high as 30, as low as 10, and 20 in the middle. Shadow Magic requires Shadow Pips to cast, which you have a chance of getting only if you have trained a Shadow Spell. Shadow Shrike increases damage and piercing, but reduces incoming healing. Shadow Seraph increases healing, and automatically places an absorb on everyone when a healing spell is cast, but increases incoming damage. Shadow Sentinel intercepts one attack on a teammate to damage you, but increases Critical Block and reduces incoming damage.

Historian
May 06, 2009
frosty frost on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
Shadow Magic is a new and mysterious form of magic. It is dark, different, and spell bending and defying. It's a dark magic and does not abide by the same rules as the other 10 schools.

Shadow Magic increases the spells, stats and powers of a Wizard while in effect. Shadow Magic can only be cast using Shadow Pips and you only have a chance of getting those once you learn Shadow Magic. Shadow Pips appear randomly, but typically appear within 4 rounds, but this does not always happen. All Shadow spells only last 3 rounds, as of now...

All Shadow Magic spells run the risk of Backlash Damage, which is damage you take after the duration of a Shadow spell ends. Backlash Damage takes the form a sphere, or aura, around you. It will get angrier (increase Backlash) if you do things a Shadow spell does like and calm (decrease Backlash) if you do things it likes.

Backlash starts at a state called "+30 Backlash" and will increase or decrease in increments of 10. +30 Backlash equals -30% of your current health. You can have a minimum of +10 Backlash (-10% of current health) and a maximum of +60 (-60% of current health). Backlash Damage does not use modifiers (blades, traps) and can not be defended against (shields, auras, resistance).

Each Shadow spell is different and has different likes and dislikes and effects.

The spell you're inquiring about is the Shadow Sentinel which is a defensive type spell. The Shadow Sentinel intercepts incoming damage spells on all friends for 25%, gives +80 Critical Block, and will resist incoming damage for 10%.
The "black circles" you're talking about are the Interceptions Indicators. Any time a friend is attacked by an incoming spell, these circles indicate 25% of that damage is directed to you. This spell is very good for group play and given free to Death and Ice.
The Shadow Sentinel will increase it's Backlash Damage anytime you attack or heal. It will decrease Backlash if you cast shields or intercept damage.

Not all Shadow Magic spells work the same.

The Shadow Shrike is an offensively built spell, that increases your pierce for 50%, damage for 10%, but decreases incoming heals for 25%. The Shadow Shrike will grant a +10% Pierce to all friends if you cast a damage spell. The Shadow Shrike will increase Backlash if you heal yourself or cast shields and decrease Backlash if you cast Attacks, Traps, or Blades. Fire, Storm, and Myth get this spell free.

The Shadow Seraph is a healing type. It will increase inc. damage for 25%, increase outgoing heals for 25% and add a 100 Absorb shield to all friends anytime you heal. The Shadow Seraph will increase Backlash damage if you attack and decrease Backlash if you heal. Life and Balance gain this spell free.

Hope this helped your understanding of Shadow Magic and it's mysterious ways!

Historian
May 06, 2009
Daniel Fireflame on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
Shadow magic is forbidden by Headmaster Ambrose, but it allows you to transform into various Shadows. It is much like yet you keep your spells and they are not effected by whichever morph you choose. Backlash is an orb that surrounds you, and it will appear to look angrier as you get more backlash. You also get a shadow aura, which is cool looking. Shadow spells use up Shadow pips, which you use to morph.

The Shadows consist of Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph.

Shadow Shrike primarily deals damage, and should be used to do so. Shielding and healing will increase it's backlash, and blading, trapping, and damaging reduces backlash. When you turn into the Shrike, you gain an extra +10 damage bonus and a +50 pierce bonus But you take -25 incoming healing. Upon a hit, you and the wizards you are fighting with get a dragonspear. This means it's a +10 balance spear to all allies.

Shadow Sentinel is used for tanking, and is good for that purpose. Shielding will decrease it's backlash, and trapping, blading, damaging, and healing increase it's backlash. When you turn into the Sentinel, your allies gain +10 resist, and 10% of the damage they take harms you.

Shadow Seraph should excel in healing, and is excellent for that. You gain a +25 outgoing healing, and when you heal, you and your allies gain an absorb. To prevent sprite spamming, the absorb is smaller when you heal smaller. But, you also take +15 or +25 incoming damage (I forgot), so beware of that!

Backlash is an orb that damages you when your shadow morph time is up. It ignores all resistance and less backlash = less damage.

There is also a pretty funny glitch, that if you use shadow morph twice, you can turn into the version bosses use (yes, bosses use shadowmagic!) which is pretty funny.
You're very correct on a lot of the effects of Shadow Magic, but there just a few touch ups I'd like you to know just for future reference.

-Shadow Sentinel intercepts spells on all friends for 25% and will decrease it's Backlash if it intercepts damage (many people over look this effect).

-Shadow Seraph increases incoming damage for +25%. I don't know if the Absorb is effected by how much you heal, but that's cool if you do.

-Shadow Shrike grants a +10% universal pierce when you attack with a damage spell, but, yes, I can see why you said Balance. This is just so people don't think it's a +10% Balance Pierce and thus can only use it for Balance damage spells when all schools can use it.

Otherwise, you're right on the money.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think the game kinda blew it on the storywriting by saying that Shadow and magic are linked. They really aren't much alike except that your appearance changes for a few rounds. Shadow is really much more like magic. actually changes you into something with totally different spells, school, stats, health... you lose ALL of your character's stats and ability. Shadow is more like a aura. it merely enchances your ability while retaining everything about yourself except appearance.