Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Hatching / Training Question, Help Please

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 03, 2013
Hello, I have a few questions for anyone who has pet training experience. Who wouldn’t mind sharing some of their knowledge, to someone who is very eager to learn more than what I currently know.

Question 1 - When building a pet, with talents you want. Do you only re-hatch when you get an unwanted talent?

Question 1, Part 2 - Because I have a pet now with two talents I want, and another pet with a talent I like to have. So If I self-hatch the two together will I lose or replace one of the talents?

Example - ( Pet 1 ) Sprite, Fairy
( Pet 3 ) I trying to get Sprite, Fairy, and
Unicorn on one pet. Does this look possible,
if these two pets hatched together?
( Pet 2 ) Unicorn, Death Shot

Question 2 - I recently acquired my dream pet in terms of appearance and the card it gives. But I need certain talents to carry it with me into battle, which I already have on another pet. How do I hatch the them and keep the appearance I want?

Question 3, ( Request ) - If any of you who has these particular set of talents and/or Proof and Defy. And wouldn’t mind hatching with me, I would greatly appreciate your act of kindness and I would be forever grateful for it. So if any of you who has the talents I’m looking for and wouldn’t mind hatching with me to get them into my pets gene pool, just let me know.

That’s all the questions I have for right now. I hope that I explained my questions thoroughly enough for everyone to understand. I would very much appreciate any hints, tips, advice you have to offer. Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear from you, Happy Holidays.

Survivor
May 29, 2011
Wow you got some really hard questions.

Answer to Question 1: Actually, thats the only reason why I re-hatch pets.

Answer to Question 1, Part 2: I am not sure about this question. I think that you can only get one talent from the parent pet.

Answer to Question 2: In order to keep the appearance, you will need to get lucky.

-Jonathan IceWalker Level 85

Survivor
Jun 03, 2013
Hello, Jonathan Icewalker. Thank you so much for responding to my post, and for answering my questions. I’m very sorry about the hard questions, but they are questions that I currently have. However I do think you answered them well. I like to add that I very much appreciate you taking the time to help me with this by answering my questions. Till next time see you around the spiral, Bye.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Each pet has 10 talents, only 5 show up in training for you to use. When you hatch that pet you get 5 random things from each parent's list of 10. These are not necessarily the talents that show up when you see their stats, that is only half of what they have. You get a random 5 from each parent. So the new baby pet has 10 talents, 5 which will activate when you train it. You have no choice in which 5 will activate, that is set at hatching.
Here is a wonderful guide that taught me a lot about hatching. I hope it helps you too.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Lord of Night on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Hello, I have a few questions for anyone who has pet training experience. Who wouldn’t mind sharing some of their knowledge, to someone who is very eager to learn more than what I currently know.

Question 1 - When building a pet, with talents you want. Do you only re-hatch when you get an unwanted talent?

Question 1, Part 2 - Because I have a pet now with two talents I want, and another pet with a talent I like to have. So If I self-hatch the two together will I lose or replace one of the talents?

Example - ( Pet 1 ) Sprite, Fairy
( Pet 3 ) I trying to get Sprite, Fairy, and
Unicorn on one pet. Does this look possible,
if these two pets hatched together?
( Pet 2 ) Unicorn, Death Shot

Question 2 - I recently acquired my dream pet in terms of appearance and the card it gives. But I need certain talents to carry it with me into battle, which I already have on another pet. How do I hatch the them and keep the appearance I want?

Question 3, ( Request ) - If any of you who has these particular set of talents and/or Proof and Defy. And wouldn’t mind hatching with me, I would greatly appreciate your act of kindness and I would be forever grateful for it. So if any of you who has the talents I’m looking for and wouldn’t mind hatching with me to get them into my pets gene pool, just let me know.

That’s all the questions I have for right now. I hope that I explained my questions thoroughly enough for everyone to understand. I would very much appreciate any hints, tips, advice you have to offer. Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear from you, Happy Holidays.
A lot can be learned about pets here:

http://www.duelist101.com/category/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/

I think it's recommended that you build your pet first on talents you want then work look of pet into the mix.

Either way you are in for a long haul to get the perfect pet.

I have been trying to get proof and spritely to show up in a Starfish for a while now and so far no luck, I have quite a few of them to Ancient. I have energizing battery I would like to work into that. I garden for snacks but they go fast if you are working on a few pets at a time.

Mary

Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
In my trials and travels in the spiral I have found one revelation:
When it comes to pets the number in parenthesis Is not necessarily relevant to getting certain skills on that pet.

For instance:

You have a pet Harpy, that at Adult gave you MC-Spirit Blade and Spell Proof, while that maybe good you want Fairy and Pain Giver to it. There is no way that Harpy has it in it 10 talents.

Plus you want Proof and Pain Giver to max out. Well first you want to get that Harpy Attributes as close to 250 in every category, then start mixing with pets till you get the mix trait you want by adult.

So I mixed a Talented Piggle with Harpy(piggle had proof, defy and pain giver & fairy) woot!
First Mix:Got proof and defy at adult, selfish at ancient, remixed again with that piggle
Second Mix: Got proof, add-balance, ,mc spiritblade(all harpy traits) then defy, then pain.
- almost wanted to stop with that but want fairy badly.
15th mix: proof, pain, add-balance, defy, fairy - finally!
The guy with the piggle said he mixed his 35 times to get to the point where he is happy - guess I was lucky.
Its all a calculated bit of chance, but if you keep track of parents you can get what you want!

Survivor
Jun 03, 2013
Hello chrissy th’blesser, northlite, rhemas. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts on the topic. I also like to thank chrissy th’blesser and northlite for the helpful pet guide links. But unfortunately I have already read the pet guides, and I think they are very terrific. I highly recommend for anyone interested in advance pets. I also have already made one perfect pet. The problem is I want to change ( 2 ) of the talent to healing talents and its appearance hopefully. So I know exactly what you mean northlite ( Marry ), when you said how I should first focus on talents before looks of a pet and how it’s a long hard road to get a perfect pet. But because it’s such a long hard road, I now have a lot of pets. But the talents that I like to have now are spread across a wide variety of different pets. Plus, like I stated in the original post specifically question two. I want to build on my ideal perfect pet in terms of looks and the card it gives, the Deadly Nightwalker pet. So the questions I asked are towards this particular pet I’m trying to carefully build and go about the right way so I don’t lose the appearance or any of the desired talents. Cause my playtime is limited, due to my job and life in general. So the decisions I make when hatching/training are vital and could be very time consuming if I’m not careful. Hopefully maybe someone will respond to the request in the post, so I can at least get the desired talents in this pet’s gene pool and that hopefully could save me a lot of time. But until then I hope, I very much appreciate the three of you for responding. It truly meant a lot to me that you three offered your thoughts, pet knowledge, and experience to help me on my situation at hand. Until next time see around the spiral, Bye.