Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Launcher always 'patching' something

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 21, 2013
I've noticed that the launcher, after you put in your id/pass, will scan and patch files. When there's an update, this is to be expected (of course), but since I notice it each time, I'm wondering, are there little small updates being done at almost all times, like little tweaks here and there, making it necessary to patch files each time I play the game? If not, then why do I see it constantly doing patches? The patches don't take that long (almost as fast as just the 'scanning' part), so that isn't an issue. Just confused here.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2011
There could be few small patches in your launcher but it could also just be reading some of the wizard 101 files on your computer. This sometimes happens to me too.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's loading the current game information. Without doing that, your character wouldn't see to current state of the game. It would see the information from when you logged off instead of the current state.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
seethe42 on Nov 26, 2013 wrote:
It's loading the current game information. Without doing that, your character wouldn't see to current state of the game. It would see the information from when you logged off instead of the current state.
The current game information is always changing, even after it has scanned a file. Look at the name of the files it sometimes patches. Unless I'm off on this, those are data files (like textures/graphics) and not information on what's happening in the game at that moment. What would it be loading in the launcher that would remain consistent during that play that would change the next time you launch the game? Where people are? No, that changes during game play. Your quests? That could change during game play, but if it doesn't, then no need to patch it. If it does, then it could get patched while you're in the game. Either way, unnecessary to patch. Which friends are on? No, that changes as well.

From the looks of it, it's performing some sort of check on the files to insure integrity. My guess is to prevent tampering as well as make sure files aren't corrupt. However, the fact that it happens each launch is rather baffling. Even if you run the launcher, close it and run it again right away, it's patching *something* and not necessarily the same files.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2013
What I've noticed is I typically need to download once or twice a day, depending on when I am or am not logged in. For example, if I log in during the morning for a couple hours then go back 12 hours later, I often have to DL twice in the same day, but if I'm only looking at a few hour's gap then it's a non-issue scan. Also I'm using the high quality textures and a 40 mbps connection which I expect might have an impact on how long that takes (for me, maybe 2-3 mins a day).