Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools are no longer equal

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 23, 2008
Schools used to be equal back when grandmaster was the highest. But Now they are all out of whack.
(These are just three Schools)

1.Fire
No where near second most powerful
Low Health Until Level 90 gear
Low Power pip %
Almost all Schools can now use over time spells
Low Critical Until level 90 hades gear
2.Storm
They can have critical over 400

They Can have damage over 100

They can use a 100 wand spell to hit 500 with no blades or traps
A little bit less health or about same as fire.
3.Ice
High critical
High resist
High Health
Can do decent amounts of damage
High power pip %
( That's Why most of The leader boards in pvp are 50% ice )
Is it just me or are all schools out of balance? Do you think all the schools are balanced let me know your reasons :) (This is not to complain at all :P i just think KI should work to get it re-equal Congrats on the new world KI ! )

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
I be to differ to be honest, Yes other schools have DoT but some spells make sense onto why they have DoT [Like Poison] But the DoT is taken from every school, but you have to realise other things are being taken from other schools too, It's not just fire, and fire with the right gear can have high critical, high pip chance, and high health, Every school skill depends on the player, Storm has high damage and high critical because that's how they are supposed to be, You forgot to mention they have low block, low resist, (And because of new hades gear) relatively low accuracy, They also do not have the same health as fire unless they use specifics on type of gear that boost health (Like a high health amulet) As for ice, Their Critical isn't high, mostly any school can block them all the time with the right gear, High resist and health is their school objective after all, and your statement about 50% of the leaderboard being ice is almost correct at a amount of 20/42 being Ice in the first 3 pages, But notice how only 2 of them are level 70/90, Which not to mention their incredible resist doesn't start until at least 56, or 74, which if it is why your complaining wont work since because the rest are level 50's, My reason for believing that level 50 PvP for Ice is easy is because of Glendemming, They have high health naturally and that keeps their high resist, with decent damage, But at level 90 to stay on the leaderboard as a ice is hard too, Storms now a days have 40+ Pierce if they use a tc infallible, Cutting a average resist to storm of 80 to 40, and with storms 100+ damage makes their hits still strong. The schools are not equal to each other, Death is not like either of the 3, neither is Myth, Life, or Balance. Make sure you have way more things to say on why then just this, because this is what every noob complains about on PvP, It's how the schools are supposed to be and some people just need to understand that.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
Michael StormStalk... on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
Schools used to be equal back when grandmaster was the highest. But Now they are all out of whack.

1.Fire
Low Power pip %
2.Storm

3.Ice
High critical
High resist
High Health
High power pip %
Is it just me or are all schools out of balance? Do you think all the schools are balanced let me know your reasons :) (This is not to complain at all :P i just think KI should work to get it re-equal Congrats on the new world KI ! )
Just for reference, Ice does the least amount of damage of all the schools, even life.

Survivor
Mar 19, 2011
I agree. I'm not a high level so I don't fully understand the stats all that well but I have noticed that in the newer spells that has gotten way too over-powered. Nearly 2000 damage for 10 pips doesn't seem like a fair ratio to all the other spells although some of them have different abilities as well. Also, I see your point with the spells loosing what made them special. Just the new death spell is almost just like fire dragon. I disagree on what you said about though. I believe that ice deserved a nice boost but some of their stats I would agree are a little too much.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's just you. Storm has a LOT lower health than fire and pretty much the same critical levels. Ice has really weak attacks so it needs all the overpowered blades to make up for it. The schools are fairly well balanced in terms of strengths and weaknesses in the elemental schools at least. Ice is really the only one somewhat out of balance with the rest, because the high health and resist. All other schools need to balance health vs resist vs damage/crit, Ice gets all but has weak spells.

Defender
Nov 15, 2008
Michael StormStalk... on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:

1.Fire
Low Power pip %
2.Storm

3.Ice
High critical
High resist
High Health
High power pip %
Funny how you want "balance" between the three elemental class schools. I can't help with the problem but funny thing i knoticed.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
My mage is nearing the end of avalon and is about to move to azteca and for me the problem doesn't seem to be my damage out put or my power pip chance, my problem is surviving long enough to bring down a boss' health. At lvl 79 I have about ~3.5k health, 80~81% power pip chance (pet is a big help at about 5-6% addition), damage is 51% fire only, resist is 23% across all, accuracy is 25% fire and 13% all (pet helps here to), critical is at ~245 or something close to that (also fire only) and comes out to a 44% crit chance, and then there's the part that kills me, critical block is about 40 and comes to 6% block chance. I think they need to raise the critical chance to be more like a storm with high output and input (you can deal more damage, but you also take it more), or they need to raise block to put it at an actual median between storm and ice (which is where they should be, the middle road of the elemental schools per say). Oh and healing in is at 33% healing out is 0 and armor piercing is 2%.

Now as for , I think they are pretty much where the need to be, maybe some minor tweaking but they're doing what storms are supposed to do.
As for I think it might be KI's way of apologizing to them. I mean in general ice has a fairly hard time as a low level, they are a school built to protect themselves and last the fight, but as a low level they nothing to protect with pretty limited output until they get finally get ice blade at a terrifying 38(way too long, especially when most of the other schools get theirs from 0-12, life being the other exception at the end of krokosphinx which is probably ~21-25 range). So, in my opinion ice gets the short end of the stick early on, but is very solid and capable at a higher lvl. (yes, pun intended)

Explorer
May 22, 2011
I've noticed this too. It really makes me mad how I can be pvping and there's this tank ice guy who Spams shields. Or how myth people are the king of destroying shields. Like, really? Life spams heals. Fire does 2,000 damage over rounds. Storms take off 20,000 on average. Death never dies! Balance gets rids of pips and no one can prepare themselves for it. Either we need to get weaker, or we need to get stonger.

-Wolf

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
Well, I've tried to read all the comments except for some particularly long ones, so sorry if I'm saying basically the same thing as some of the long ones. I understand why you think they're all unequal, but it's just the gear that people use and the strategy they use that makes them strong or weak or in between.
Storm has lots of damage, yeah, but they need that damage because they have lowest base health and tend to die quicker. Fire has decent damage, and if they can last a little longer than storm, giving them a little longer to blade up and do enough damage. Ice has highest health and resist because they must last long, because if they didn't, their damage would be too weak and they would die. Balance, myth, death, and life all have their strengths and faults too. All the schools are equal if you play them right. And about the fire supposed to be "second most powerful" comment, fire isn't supposed to be second most powerful. All the schools are equally powerful. Fire I suppose might have the second best damage, but damage isn't power. If everyone chose the right gear, the right strategy, and the right spells, all the schools would have to have a tie in pvp or tournaments. The only thing is, everyone has to find their 'right' gear through trial and error. Trial and error, my friend, just keep trying.

-Jasmine Owltalon,
Believe, and try hard, and success will be yours
See you around the spiral!

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Storm's Low accuracy and health balance them with high damage. Fire is actually pretty balanced in it's ways, medium-high damage with well-suited health, accuracy, ect. Ice's low damage rates sort-of balances it's other high points, but may be a bit out of tune from that. The only other complaint I have is that fire is getting too many DoTs at the moment.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
people need to stop this!

's & 's talents are the simplest so they require less brain power if you choose another school of magic lets say even myth and get some good strategies you can be just as powerful as an ice wizard or storm wizard