Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Magic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
I just recently found out something Even more interesting my PvP teammate used Shadow Sentinel more than 3 times and a new shadow appearance I've seen. My question is will this happen to the other shadows spells? For an example Like Shadow Shrike or Shadow Seraph.

Survivor
Mar 10, 2012
ok I just can't find the quest to start the shadow magic quest and it is really bugging me i'm at the boss kravenly Kevin SoulHunter

Survivor
Mar 14, 2012
This is so the best school KI came out it is dangerous but can help ALOT in pvp,fighting and bosses especially if you ask me

Healing sage-good with a team but not as good alone try to team up when doing storm bosses with this spell

hitting one(forgot name)- not good alone but very efficient with a group

The next one you can guess

Survivor
Aug 22, 2013
Where do I get shadow magic I am in tyrian gorge and the quest is where you kill some sky screech and some death trees to collect fuses and some weird powder am I close

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
adam redweaver on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Where do I get shadow magic I am in tyrian gorge and the quest is where you kill some sky screech and some death trees to collect fuses and some weird powder am I close
The quest is main quest line and in Moon Cliffs, Eclipse Tower Left and Right have to be completed.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/NPC:Sofia_DarkSide

Mary

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Looking good I haven't gotten mine yet but I have seen them in action.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
benyboyabc1 on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
I just recently found out something Even more interesting my PvP teammate used Shadow Sentinel more than 3 times and a new shadow appearance I've seen. My question is will this happen to the other shadows spells? For an example Like Shadow Shrike or Shadow Seraph.
Are you sure it wasn't just another Shadow Spell? What did it look like?

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
I Am Enjoying Shadow Magic I Use It All The Time Now

Richard Shadowwhisper

Level 95

Survivor
Dec 28, 2013
madmink on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:
Shadow magic sounds awesome, what moves are there?

Jack frost, lvl 34
Lol sorry Jack, but you have to wait a long time until you get it. Well so do I but I'm a bit closer.

Colin StormWraith Lvl 76 Diviner

Survivor
Jan 22, 2012
are you ever gonna make shadow magic into sun and star?

Jack Skullblood LEVEL 95

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
GataLuna on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
How do you defeat / defend against Shadow Magic? I've only tried once with one life and one death henchmen and died pretty fast. Any hints?

There are many ways to combat Shadow Magic. My way of combating Shadow Shrike is to use Beguile right before someone hits, making them hit their teammate or negating their attack for two turns. If I don't have Beguile, I use Bad Juju so even though they pierce their damage is next to nothing. (Both spells are Death only but can be purchased as TC in the Bazaar)

To combat Shadow Seraph just spam Life Dispels, since the Seraph's backlash is reduced by healing. If they can't heal, they can't lower the backlash.

Shadow Sentinel is about being the hero/tank of the group, if you attack an ally or the Sentinel itself it reduces backlash, so this is when you want to go on the defensive and just start shielding and buffing and healing.

Keep in mind Shadow Magic only lasts for 3 turns, so if you can either withstand it for those rounds or stop them in their tracks you can get them with the Backlash.

I personally haven't fought against a Shadow Seraph, only once against a Sentinel, and a lot against the Shrike. However I have done my homework and research to figure out how to best combat them when they pop up in a battle, so what i suggested above is an excellent way to turn the tables on Shadow Magic.

Hope this helped

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 82

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Shadow Magic is dumb. I really wish they'd think about legitimate counters to the game for the past mistakes they made instead of taking a bad situation and making it worse in a whole different aspect. Thumbs down for the creation of this ridiculous school. It takes most strategy out of everthing. Just dispel/stun them until it ends is what we have now.

It's half thought out ideas like this that kill the arena. I'm not saying this is the first one, but it's definitely right up there with fun killing.

Ashame they had to add Jade/Immunity and now this atrocious Shadow Magic garbage.

Historian
May 06, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
Shadow Magic is dumb. I really wish they'd think about legitimate counters to the game for the past mistakes they made instead of taking a bad situation and making it worse in a whole different aspect. Thumbs down for the creation of this ridiculous school. It takes most strategy out of everthing. Just dispel/stun them until it ends is what we have now.

It's half thought out ideas like this that kill the arena. I'm not saying this is the first one, but it's definitely right up there with fun killing.

Ashame they had to add Jade/Immunity and now this atrocious Shadow Magic garbage.
I'm not really sure what you're complaining or ripping about. Shadow Magic isn't much of a necessary school. It's just an addition to our arsenal to add some support if we need it. But it's random Shadow Pip appearances and Backlash make it limited in range of ability. I, personally, like it and I don't see it as much of a school to critize since it doesn't even have enough spells to really dig into.

We've only seen a small aspect of the school and they're bound to see more spells in the 2nd part of Khrysalis.

Also, why are you being so harsh on KI about this "illegitimate counter"? I don't even think Shadow Magic (specifically Shadow Shrike) is a counter toward anything. As they've said, they're trying to speed up game play (maybe too much), but that's been the general idea. It's just a start and you're disapproving of KI at least taking a step. They might as well have left everything as is.

There's really not much of Shadow Magic to see what it can really do. It's just a taste of it so far. It think you're being too quick to knock it down.

If you have a better idea of what KI should do to counter those Jadzilla/Immunity/Eternity Long battles or improve Shadow Magic, then why don't you pose them instead of clawing at the idea? Since 90% of the last updates have been "half-baked ideas" in your ideas, then I'm willing to bet you're full of way better ideas. But I don't understand that about some people. Why sit around complaining and calling things you don't like "garbage" when you could come up with thoughts and suggestions to improve things? Who benefits from you calling Shadow Magic garbage and atrocious?
Maybe they could take out Backlash. Maybe put a 'No PvP' flag on it. Maybe remove the randomness of the Shadow Pip. Maybe increase the number of rounds it lasts. And maybe some of these ideas are already being considered for Part 2. Since Shadow Magic has no "For X Rounds" written in the description, I wouldn't be surprise if future Shadow spells last longer.

I'm not in anyway mad or upset with your post, but I don't agree with your viewpoint of Shadow Magic and I'd prefer to hear how you'd improve it or provide another idea you may or may not have had on the back-burner rather than critizism.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
I'm not really sure what you're complaining or ripping about. Shadow Magic isn't much of a necessary school. It's just an addition to our arsenal to add some support if we need it. But it's random Shadow Pip appearances and Backlash make it limited in range of ability. I, personally, like it and I don't see it as much of a school to critize since it doesn't even have enough spells to really dig into.

We've only seen a small aspect of the school and they're bound to see more spells in the 2nd part of Khrysalis.

Also, why are you being so harsh on KI about this "illegitimate counter"? I don't even think Shadow Magic (specifically Shadow Shrike) is a counter toward anything. As they've said, they're trying to speed up game play (maybe too much), but that's been the general idea. It's just a start and you're disapproving of KI at least taking a step. They might as well have left everything as is.

There's really not much of Shadow Magic to see what it can really do. It's just a taste of it so far. It think you're being too quick to knock it down.

If you have a better idea of what KI should do to counter those Jadzilla/Immunity/Eternity Long battles or improve Shadow Magic, then why don't you pose them instead of clawing at the idea? Since 90% of the last updates have been "half-baked ideas" in your ideas, then I'm willing to bet you're full of way better ideas. But I don't understand that about some people. Why sit around complaining and calling things you don't like "garbage" when you could come up with thoughts and suggestions to improve things? Who benefits from you calling Shadow Magic garbage and atrocious?
Maybe they could take out Backlash. Maybe put a 'No PvP' flag on it. Maybe remove the randomness of the Shadow Pip. Maybe increase the number of rounds it lasts. And maybe some of these ideas are already being considered for Part 2. Since Shadow Magic has no "For X Rounds" written in the description, I wouldn't be surprise if future Shadow spells last longer.

I'm not in anyway mad or upset with your post, but I don't agree with your viewpoint of Shadow Magic and I'd prefer to hear how you'd improve it or provide another idea you may or may not have had on the back-burner rather than critizism.
I agree. I don't think Shadow Magic is a school at all. We have only 10 schools in-game so far, and that's not counting Shadow Magic. The person who posted that was most likely inexperienced, and may have had Shadow Magic used against them. I do agree on the idea that KI should do something about that immunity gear I've heard so much about. I find that unfair in a sense, though I am hoping it is unable to be used in PvP since it would be a complete unfair advantage to those who have it. I have never seen the gear myself, and have only heard about it. I believe that if I asked KI if there was such gear, they would tell me there isn't. Until I see this "Immunity" gear for myself, I will continue to doubt its existence. I do also agree with you that people are taking the wrong approach to the things they don't like about the game. They are busy calling it "garbage" and other such things because they think that others will agree with them and that it will be removed from the game. They don't realize that in reality nobody agrees with them, their rants go to waste and whatever it was they didn't like is not removed or changed. And please don't get me started on what I've heard about the PvP arena. The picture some people paint of the PvP arena is an ugly one, where all the duelists are corrupt, cheat and use any way possible to get to the highest rank. The arena does contain some corrupt duelists who have gone mad with the power they posses and use their rank to discourage others from attempting to get to higher ranks. On the other hand, there are duelists who are high ranked but aren't corrupt. I honestly can't shake the feeling that many of the corrupt duelists have gone into tournaments to show off their rank and power. Those duelists who aren't corrupt, I applaud you for not going mad over your rank and power. I find it shocking though, that players who create new characters all of a sudden are becoming warlords at something like level 3. There is something wrong there! I would go on with my speech on how PvP is corrupt and all that, but this is neither the time nor place to do it. All I will say is that I believe KI needs to start keeping an eye on the PvP Arena, enforcing stricter rules that will discourage cheating and these new low level "warlords". There are many high leveled players out there who have done PvP, only to loose to a low level because of help from a high leveled player. PvP needs to be fixed, and that's all I am gonna say.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Malorn AshThorn446 on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
I agree. I don't think Shadow Magic is a school at all. We have only 10 schools in-game so far, and that's not counting Shadow Magic. The person who posted that was most likely inexperienced, and may have had Shadow Magic used against them. I do agree on the idea that KI should do something about that immunity gear I've heard so much about. I find that unfair in a sense, though I am hoping it is unable to be used in PvP since it would be a complete unfair advantage to those who have it. I have never seen the gear myself, and have only heard about it. I believe that if I asked KI if there was such gear, they would tell me there isn't. Until I see this "Immunity" gear for myself, I will continue to doubt its existence. I do also agree with you that people are taking the wrong approach to the things they don't like about the game. They are busy calling it "garbage" and other such things because they think that others will agree with them and that it will be removed from the game. They don't realize that in reality nobody agrees with them, their rants go to waste and whatever it was they didn't like is not removed or changed. And please don't get me started on what I've heard about the PvP arena. The picture some people paint of the PvP arena is an ugly one, where all the duelists are corrupt, cheat and use any way possible to get to the highest rank. The arena does contain some corrupt duelists who have gone mad with the power they posses and use their rank to discourage others from attempting to get to higher ranks. On the other hand, there are duelists who are high ranked but aren't corrupt. I honestly can't shake the feeling that many of the corrupt duelists have gone into tournaments to show off their rank and power. Those duelists who aren't corrupt, I applaud you for not going mad over your rank and power. I find it shocking though, that players who create new characters all of a sudden are becoming warlords at something like level 3. There is something wrong there! I would go on with my speech on how PvP is corrupt and all that, but this is neither the time nor place to do it. All I will say is that I believe KI needs to start keeping an eye on the PvP Arena, enforcing stricter rules that will discourage cheating and these new low level "warlords". There are many high leveled players out there who have done PvP, only to loose to a low level because of help from a high leveled player. PvP needs to be fixed, and that's all I am gonna say.
Aside from your PvP notion (which does have some very good points), I'm fine with Shadow Magic being PvP-banned, as I don't PvP, and just having a few nerfs on "Immunity" gear (which might stir some very aggravated avians) or have spells that include the ability of Backlash damage, so a spell that completely ignores you're enemies resistance.

However, the spells do work in the Arena. Honestly, if it was Shadow Shrike (yeah, not the magic, just the shrike) that really spend things up, then it should be a Shadow Spell that counters Shadow Shrike. It's only far. Like a defense Shadow spell that gives you -50% Incoming Damage, adds Taunt on your spells, +100 Critical Block rating and you gain a -30% Shield anytime you cast a spell or are targetted by your enemy. Doesn't that solve this whole problem?
(I'd actually kinda like a spell like that...)

Right now, the Arena will more than likely see a short-term sugarrush and then slow down as I see it. They made things go too slow with Jade Gear, high-resisted Ice gear, and other forms and now they'll go too fast with the Pierce, Critical, and Damage over loads (and the strangest thing is mostly the Elemental Schools only really benefit). So I would think, in time, a middle ground will come where they will introduce more defense gear that tones down the sugar-crazed duelists. They could also decrease the chance of getting Jade Gear in the Keeper's Lore Pack and make it an Epic item, which stalls Jadezillas.

Whether or not Shadow Magic is a school is, as of this post, not really my concern. I acknowledge it's existance. Plus, we've only seen a small portion of Shadow Magic and the devs could be coming up with some really wicked (or really devastating) spells in Part 2. I believe Shadow Magic will see 6 new spells within Part 2 and then we can really see what this school (or magic) can do. As of now, it's really just extra with 2 underpowered spells and 1 overpowered striker. But we'll see what's to come.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2012
Shadow magic is very cool gives more damage it more health very awesome for bosses
is me withandare all my types

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
i cant wait for me to get to the new world to learn shadow magic since its a boost to my attacks i am lvl 91 but still in the walkthrough to get to new world but ive finished azteca. for me it took around 1 year and 1/2 to finish azteca since i lost member but now i unlock areas with crowns since i will be waiting another 1/2 year since i saving up for a iphone 4 i wont be able to get crowns until september xd cant wait till halloween too to get what i wanted for so long, the halloween helm the guy by the fountain in shopping district gives

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
I hope I get to the part to learn shadow magic since I still on the walk through to get to the new world shadow magic will put a little bit more boost in my attacks but after 3 rounds you take damage from shadow strike which gives you 30 back slash. I am still level 91, death is fun, fire is also fun sometimes too, even though my fire is lvl 33 still

level 91 Adam Spirit Bringer
level 33 Adam Shadow Caller

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
Shadow magic Isn't so useful vs bosses. Except when they cast shields.

Explorer
Oct 14, 2008
I Shadow magic!

Shadow magic helped me defeat Hades and the helephant tower. I have been playing since this game was just beginning and really love how much the game has progressed! Shreik is good for the bosses as it adds a break to all players after you hit while shadow is activated. The seraph is good for pvp and those times when you just want to go on a healing rampage with your friends lol. The last shadow card i have not used yet but it is also useful in any battle giving you a plus critical i believe! I can not wait to see the next shadow cards coming out as i know they will be truly amazing! It is easiest for me when using shadow cards to be sure i save up my pips and blade and trap before activating the shadow card in order to reduce the damage of backlash.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2013
Can someone post a link as to which quests come before this quest? I'm trying to get shadow magic and haven't gotten the quest yet. I'm level 98 and just beat a boss that used shadow magic, but still have not received the quest. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Daniel LifeThief Level 98

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
If you're not supposed to teach us then why did Professor Greyrose tell us about it?

Kane IceBlood Level 10
Isaac TitanHunter Level 24

Shadow magic is a part of the mainline quest, and due to the fact it had to be revealed, enemies later were going to use it. Ghost Dog for example, the second time around, HE had shadow magic. The BURROWER HERSELF had shadow magic. Morganthe delved into it and revived it, even though it was not supposed to be messed with. This became a part in "preparing" us to fight her in part 2. So my final answer, it was part of the main questing.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
Shadow Magic (,) is something useful to have. It's basically a handy tool, as some people mentioned. It's really good on bosses, ESPECIALLY Ice bosses. I bet you could spam THROUGH Tower Shields, so really good for spammers. Then again, I really don't get why some of you people think it's so bad. Think about this one - Suppose an Ice boss spams Tower Shields, and you don't have Shadow Shrike. Would you pierce up each time to get through the Tower Shields COMPLETELY? I know I wouldn't. If it was me and I DIDN'T have Shadow Magic (which I do), I would be trying to get every Tower down while, of course, giving less damage. I personally agree with those who applaud it's usefulness. The only down side I'd look at is the Backlash. No, I'm not calling it
"garbage", as some of you have. I'm really just comparing the upside and the downside. Suppose you're in a PvP match. If you have Shrike on, and you have no attacks for the next 3 rounds. BOOM! Normal Backlash.
Suppose you have a Shadow Seraph on, and the enemy spams Life dispels. BOOM again, normal backlash.
Once more, you have a Shadow Sentinel on. The enemy doesn't attack at all. Once again, normal backlash.
You people who say Shadow Magic is "garbage", I recommend that you think about what I have said.

Destiny HexVault, Level 100,
Signing out. Peace.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
Me and My friends believe Shadow Magic needs to be removed from pvp because its changing PvP and making a lot of people quit, I also quit because PvP became too complicated and I kept losing because all my resist was pierced and I couldnt block a single critical the opponent uses.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2013
I enjoy shadow magic, i wonder if there will be a 3 pip, in the future.